PDA

View Full Version : Cessna Ditches Near Whangarei

NZFlyingKiwi
25th Dec 2008, 20:46
Just saw this short article regarding a ditching near Whangarei yesterday - pilot safe and sound fortunately.

Pilot rescued south of Whangarei

Updated at 9:21am on 26 December 2008
A pilot who was forced to ditch his light plane into the sea south of Whangarei has been rescued.
A member of the public reported seeing the Cessna crash into the ocean about one kilometre offshore from the Ruakaka Surf Club just after midday on Thursday.
Lifeguards were able to haul the 52-year-old pilot from the sea within five minutes. He was the sole occupant and escaped without serious injury.
The Northern Life Saving Manager, Dean Storey, said the man was flying from Ardmore to Whangarei when the plane's engine failed.

Here's the link: Radio New Zealand News : Stories : 2008 : 12 : 25 : Pilot rescued south of Whangarei (http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/stories/2008/12/25/1243864abdfe)

dudduddud
26th Dec 2008, 04:47
Probably from the NSAC. They seem to have the knack for that sort of thing. :E

future.boeing.cpt
26th Dec 2008, 05:44
Why was he not flying within gliding distance of the land?

HEALY
26th Dec 2008, 05:55
He doesn't have to if he had a lifejacket in the plane. Not positive bout NZ regs though but im sure that if he is above a certain altitude such as 2000' you dont have to wear one, just have one in the plane for each occupant.

dudduddud
26th Dec 2008, 05:57
I suppose it was because the most efficient path of travel, for this particular flight, took him outside gliding distance from land.

dudduddud
26th Dec 2008, 06:03
He doesn't have to if he had a lifejacket in the plane. Not positive bout NZ regs though but im sure that if he is above a certain altitude such as 2000' you dont have to wear one, just have one in the plane for each occupant.

With regards to private flights and the wearation of lifejackets during flight over water; An aircraft that is operated on a flight over water must be equipped with 1 life preserver for each person on board and stowed in a position that is readily accessible from the seat or berth occupied by the person if the aircraft is a single-engine aircraft and the flight distance to
shore is more than gliding distance for the aircraft.

dudduddud
26th Dec 2008, 07:43
wearation. vb. the act of wearing. most often a lifejacket.

not a human factors/communication man then are you.

Chimbu chuckles
26th Dec 2008, 08:25
Well dud, you smart little ****, 'wearation' is NOT a word.

'..with regards to carriage and use of lifejackets' would be acceptable but 'wearation' is just Gen Y BS.

framer
26th Dec 2008, 08:27
Last year I had a 22 year old gay flatmate who was a womans dress designer....he used the word wearation quite often.

future.boeing.cpt
26th Dec 2008, 08:27
indeed
wearation of a lifejacket means you can fly out of gliding distance of land.

I did not know he was in wearation of a lifejacket

hahaha

dudduddud
26th Dec 2008, 10:22
It's olde English. An obsolete word derived from Latin meaning the carriage of life vests while operating aeroplanes of questionable fuel quantity, fuel system status or maintenence history.

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Dec 2008, 04:17
Why was he not flying within gliding distance of the land?

In my time in NZ, it was not unheard of for pilots of SE aeroplanes to fly direct from New Plymouth to Nelson! Scares me just thinking about it!

I, on the other hand, never crossed Cook Straight between Wellington and Blenheim below about 8000', although many locals thought nothing of lapping across the "dutch" at 500'.

Dr

http://www.fototime.com/AAAFA0FCBD968B0/standard.jpg

prospector
27th Dec 2008, 07:47
"I, on the other hand, never crossed Cook Straight between Wellington and Blenheim below about 8000', although many locals thought nothing of lapping across the "dutch" at 500'."

It was, and probably still is, considered by the "Authorities" safer to cross Cook Strait, bloodshot VFR at 500ft? in a single engined aircraft, carrying fare paying passengers then climbing to an altitude, in a appropriately equipped single engine aircraft, that would allow an engine out glide to some form of Terra Firma.

Equipped with a Garmin 430 or some such piece of wizardary it would be possible to find an acceptable piece of terrrain for a forced landing. Far more chance of survival than ditching in Cook Straight.

dudduddud
27th Dec 2008, 08:22
In my time in NZ, it was not unheard of for pilots of SE aeroplanes to fly direct from New Plymouth to Nelson! Scares me just thinking about it!

you mean like this:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2jv41s.jpg

tinpis
27th Dec 2008, 10:17
Edited huh?

the wizard of auz
27th Dec 2008, 10:20
Seems so. :hmm::rolleyes:

dudduddud
27th Dec 2008, 10:21
I think it might have been a case of moderation. :sad:

the wizard of auz
27th Dec 2008, 11:03
seems for the jolly season, there isnt much of a sense of humor about.

Much Ado
27th Dec 2008, 17:24
Here is some more moderation...click

Hole and digging comes to mind.:rolleyes: