PDA

View Full Version : Any drummers on PPRuNe?

Maxbert
25th Dec 2008, 18:10
I ask as Father christmas has brought me this-iED05 (http://www.ionaudio.com/ied05)

I'm having a great time bashing away and infuriating Mrs. Maxbert but, at the age of 40, am in no way a drummer :(

Any very basic, full beginner tips out there, other than "throw the damn thing away and buy yourself that flat screen TV that you've been after" :confused:

Maxbert

redsnail
25th Dec 2008, 18:44
Get yourself down to the local drum store and ask for some lessons.

I have a drumkit and take lessons. I do need to get back and work on some more technique stuff.

I think BRL's a drummer.

Maxbert
25th Dec 2008, 18:52
Thanks Redsnail, I guess that's as good advice as any- I took a look on the web, they all want € or £ or the Y with = through it :(

There is a drum school not a million miles away from where I live, I might just see if they have a beginner amateur course :)

Maxbert

redsnail
25th Dec 2008, 19:09
They shouldn't be exy. My teacher charges £15/30 min. :D

stue
25th Dec 2008, 19:59
I got myself a kit a few years ago. I found drumming along to songs helps. Get your self a decent generic music player (don’t want to advertise:ok:) and some decent headphones and drum along to anything that is in a 4/4 beat. Once you have mastered the standard 4/4 beat, the rest just comes with practice. A few lessons are always good too for starting anything new, but I found that I wanted to drum in my way rather than my drum instructors way. So once I grasped the basics I stopped going.

It’s the best musical instrument to play IMHO, much more fun than the piano, guitar etc. Everyone plays them......

Oh, most importantly though, you have got to learn how to spin the sticks through your fingers. Start with a pen and just practice while all the xmas drivel is on.

Have fun!

Benjybh
25th Dec 2008, 20:11
I play all three of those, plus the violin :}

Anyway, I would suggest getting a teacher to give you the basic technique tips, as if you don't get it right first time bad technique will come back and haunt you! (Much the same as flying one would assume). Even if you only have a few lessons, it will be well worth it. After that, you should invest in a few small pieces of kit:

Some decent headphones that block out as much outside noise as possible (and as you are using an electric kit, some kind of splitter that will let you put both the drum and music output through the same pair of headphones)
The right kind of sticks! Pop down to your local music store and have a feel of a few different types of sticks. As a general rule of thumb, '5A's are a good starting point, then if you have smaller hands try '7A's and if you want something a bit heavier try '5B's. I would stay away from anything over 3B. In terms of manufacturers, I use Vic Firth or Vater sticks, but anything else will do really (though stay away from Stagg!)
Listen to some tracks carefully, work out what each limb is doing and replicate these one at a time. Once you have all this sorted, put them all together and let the chaos begin!
After you have mastered a range of 4/4 rhythms, try some jazz 'swing' rhythms, and some 3/4 or 6/8 waltz type things. If you want some slightly more difficult but fun stuff to play, I would reccomend some of Brian Setzer Orchestra's big band jazz stuff - great fun to play live!
Enjoy it! If you start getting frustrated, leave it for a few hours (or days, depending on level of frustration!) and crack open a beer.If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to PM me or ask in here. Oh, and if you want drumming lessons, I will be more than happy to give them in exchange for flying lessons!!

Cheers,

Ben, Drummer of 8 years :ok:

bnt
25th Dec 2008, 20:15
I'm a bassist, Jim, not a drummer, but I have been around drummers a bit. You hear talk of rudiments, the basic snare drum patterns that make drumming more interesting. Snare drum rolls fall under rudiments, and there are different kinds that give different results and suit different settings etc. See drumrudiments.com for a typical list of rudiments. I agree that a teacher might be the best thing when learning basics like this.

The other thing I hear is "limb independence": getting your four limbs working independently. If you get good, you'll probably want to move to an acoustic drum kit, but take it slowly: it will be some time before you can solo like this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WoQEt_4l5s), who needs both types of kit on stage at once. :\

bugbirdhughes
25th Dec 2008, 20:16
Deep in the African jungle, a safari was camped for the night. In the darkness, distant drums began a relentless throbbing that continued until dawn. The safari members were disturbed, but the guide reassured them: "Drums good. When drums stop, very bad." Every night the drumming continued, and every night the guide reiterated, "Drums good. When drums stop, VERY bad." This continues for several days until one morning the drumming suddenly stops and all the natives panic and run screaming. The man asks the guide what's the matter? The guide looking very frightened says: "When drums stop, VERY, VERY bad," he said. "Why is it bad?" asked a member of the safari. "Because when drums stop, bass solo begin!":ok:

Happy Christmas
Bugbird

stue
25th Dec 2008, 20:28
I play all three of those, plus the violin

So do I, plus the triangle. Not played for a while though, this dam flying stuff got in the way.... silly flying....!

A lot of good advice from Benjybh, but the most important thing is to just enjoy yourself. Like everything in life, the more you enjoy it, the better you become at it. (Ask the girlfriend…….:E)

sorry, I'll get my hat, coat etc.

tony draper
25th Dec 2008, 20:50
What you must ask yourself, "Is this worth being forever an outcast from polite society"
:rolleyes:

B Fraser
25th Dec 2008, 21:32
How do you know the drummer's stool is level ?

He dribbles evenly from both sides of his mouth :}

Davaar
25th Dec 2008, 22:12
Maxbert, your inquiry is sheer affectation.

I have yet to master the metronome.

Still, I'll offer you my technique: Your product is "interpretation"; The task of the others is to hit the last note in the last bar at the same time as you.

IB4138
26th Dec 2008, 09:53
Whatever you do Maxbert, don´t get arthritis in your hands, wrist and fingers, or your drumming days will be extremely painful and/or over...just like mine.

:{

Does this mean that I am no longer an outcast from society Mr Draper?

Maxbert
26th Dec 2008, 10:12
Morning all! Thanks for the (mostly :E ) helpful feedback- I guess I will go for a few lessons just to get me started down the glorious road to fame, success, groupies, hard drugs, alcohol, trashed hotel rooms and all the trimmings :suspect:

OTOH I might just ask Hugobert, aka N° 1 son, for a few tips... A novice like me, yesterday he says: "Can I have a go,dad?"

"Sure son," sez I, and [email protected]@er me if he isn't bashing away like the best of them... :(

Maxbert

tony draper
26th Dec 2008, 10:20
One has heard of a isolated camp high in the mountains that boasts of some success in reintroducing drummers back into normal life Mr IB ,but one would have to see some positive proof on this before giving it credence.
:uhoh::rolleyes:

al446
26th Dec 2008, 10:22
I have managed a few bands and recorded several in small studios. From my experience here are a few tips -

Get drunk alot. This should lead to Mrs M throwing you out due to arguments etc. I was never sure why this was with drummers but it seems to be a common bond.

Borrow money off of everyone, especially friends, and don't repay.

Don't pay for a drink, ever.

Develop an inflated opinion of yourself, certain drugs may assist in this.

Stay away from reality and argue with the rhythm guitarist alot. Don't know why, just happens.

Don't use long words where profanity will suffice.

Practice, practice, practice. But never the tunes you actually do.

Hang around with musicians.

If you must tell jokes keep them simple so that the bass player understands.

Good luck.:ok:

B Fraser
26th Dec 2008, 11:45
AL446,

That post was Ginger Baker's biography :E

Stockpicker
26th Dec 2008, 15:27
Hi Max,

A good place to go for a qualified teacher of any instrument is **Incorporated Society of Musicians :: Home** (http://www.ism.org/home.php)

- all the best!

bugbirdhughes
27th Dec 2008, 12:29
What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians................................................... ............................................................ ......

A Drummer ;););)

I'll get my coat........

Bugbird

No_Speed_Restriction
27th Dec 2008, 12:36
I knew a girl once that was good at playing the human skin flute.:yuk:

Howard Hughes
28th Dec 2008, 09:09
Hi Max,

Definitely get some lessons! I taught myself as a youngster but could never read music.

I didn't play for around 15 years, as I sold my kit to fund the flying dream. Then when I was forty I finally bought the kit I had always promised myself and started having lessons at the local drum school! Felt a little silly going into lessons with all the ten year olds, but it was well worth it! I can now read music and am enjoying the drums more than ever.:ok:

My only other advice besides get some lessons, is to buy yourself a decent metronome, after all that is all a drummer is!;)

PS: Surely if you play with headphones Mrs Max would hear nothing but a dull thud?:E

Rush2112
28th Dec 2008, 10:34
One of the best drummers in rock music is Neil Peart of Rush: he has made two instructional DVDs and they would be well worth investing in. The first one is quite old, "A Work in Progress", while the second was released a couple of years ago and is called "Anatomy of a Drum Solo", wherein he deconstructs his solo from the R30 tour.

I'm not a drummer, but The Professor's solos are the high point of any Rush show.

ABX
28th Dec 2008, 14:16
One good technique for easier drumming is to start applying active thought to things we do automatically and switch things around a bit.

If you are right-handed you don't need to think about opening a door, you just reach out your right hand and open the door - simple.

However if you consciously use your left hand for every day activities, large and small, you will make things easier for yourself.

Try opening doors, opening the toothpaste tube, opening jars, zipping your zipper, buttoning your buttons, reaching for objects, holding things etc., in your non-dominant hand. If right handed, consciously use the left hand more often and vis-a-versa.

This will:
1) Get your brain to think about using both hands more often and the body used to doing it.
2) Improve your over-all dexterity.
3) Make it easier for you to produce even strokes of the drumstick onto the drum head.

If you ever take your drumming above the garage level, even strokes are critically important because one hand hitting the drum harder than the other will produce a louder noise therefore the drumming will be uneven and, one of the pillars of drumming is evenness, both of timing and sound.

One of my best mates drummed in garage bands for years until he got so good he caught attention of studios and session musos, upon being taken into the studio and giving a very good performance he listened to the tape of the session he was disappointed to see on the graphic and hear on the replay that his beats differed slightly from hand-to-hand.

The studio wanted him to play some small commercial work (ad spots and background music etc) but they had to send him away until he corrected the problem.

He has now appeared as a session drummer on a number of albums and done plenty of commercial work. My own drumming - after 21 years - has not progressed far above garage level, but I've had some good times and played some minor gigs.

Get a few lessons at the beginning to iron out those bad habits before they become too fixed.

Good luck and have fun.

ABX

Groundbased
29th Dec 2008, 10:48
Have recently started having lessons myself. Currently boring the pants off the family practising the rudiments on the arm of the sofa.

My thoughts so far. Well, I'm really enjoying it, and I find I am listening to music differently, picking out the drum line and recognising the rudiments in what I'm hearing. Everything I'm doing currently is in 4/4 time. some other points:

Slowing it down really helps to cement the routines and you can speed them up later.

I've found that using the foot pedal on the bass drum the hardest thing when sitting in front of a real kit. If you can mock up something to simulate this if you don't have a kit I reckon that would be a real help.

My teacher recommended trying to play left and right handed, which is easier to learn from the start, so you give yourself the freedom to play the kit either way later on.

There are loads of good clips on You Tube of drummers like Steve Gadd who have turned it in to an art form.

Cheers

coorong
29th Dec 2008, 12:44
Having drummed in various bands over many years, the best drummer ever was Buddy Rich. For the best today, I would say Steve Smithstands out above the rest. His versatility, technique, knowledge and ability to swing puts everyone else in the shade.
His work with his jazz/fusion band Vital Information is just amazing. Look on the net for example videos

C:ok:

Dop
29th Dec 2008, 13:54
Everybody seems to have missed the number one piece of advice for drummers.

1. Never work for Spinal Tap.

Maxbert
3rd Nov 2009, 21:03
No 1 son latched on to the USB drum kit almost immediately :ok:

Percussion lessons ensued, since September he has individual Drum kit lessons. Helpful bods at drum school said that pads were fine for a couple of months, but a "real" drum kit would be needed if Hugo was serious... He is, so Tama drum kit has been purchased and just installed by yours truly (signing huge cheques / tapping PIN codes seems all I'm good for these days... :( ), neighbours will be pleased :uhoh:

Anyway, what was to be Dad's toy has become No 1's passion, so... Job done, I suppose, but my days of self-indulgence seem to be definitely over :(

Maxbert

Jimmy Macintosh
3rd Nov 2009, 21:58
Excellent to hear.

Try the piano now :E

Checkboard
3rd Nov 2009, 22:41
You have a large property, with a d i s t a n t shed to put him (and his ratbag "lets form a band" mates) in while he practices? http://www.abfnet.com/forum/images/smilies/rockon.gif http://www.abfnet.com/forum/images/smilies/rockband.gif http://www.abfnet.com/forum/images/smilies/dj.gif

olandese_volante
3rd Nov 2009, 23:05
but a "real" drum kit would be needed

Wholeheartedly agree.

Touch, bounce and dynamics on a real, physical drum head are quite different from those experienced with trigger pads - try brushes on a pad...

At least, get hold of a real snare if you don't want to indulge in a complete kit. Make sure to get an abundant supply of earplugs as well :E

I am a sound engineer, not a drummer, but I did get some "complimentary" drumming lessons from a real good drummer. He had me start off with just a snare, and add kickdrum and hi-hat later.

(as a practical joke, he once performed live with a kit made out of pots and pans - talk about skillet skills :p)

J3zNANjJNio

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Pugilistic Animus
3rd Nov 2009, 23:23
YouTube - Gene Krupa - Young Man With A Beat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcqoB_QICxA)

G-CPTN
3rd Nov 2009, 23:56
LETLocP7dVY

Maxbert
4th Nov 2009, 21:19
Checkers- I do have a shed, a very fine one may I add, complete with wood-burning stove- the FSL would be proud! It just needs a good clean out (and a fair bit of work :( ) but the lad should be fine in there, come spring. He starts the equivalent of high / secondary school next September, he will no doubt meet up with, and befriend, a whole slew of gee-tar or keyboard playing lads... A new career in artist management beckons!

Vliegende nederlander- hai ragione, ho comperato e istallato la batteria ieri (Tama Imperialstar con tutto :uhoh: ), but it's currently on the first floor landing until such time as the shed is ready...

Must take some sneaky footage and post a YooToob link, my son will start hating me even before he fully hits adolescence :E

Maxbert

tony draper
4th Nov 2009, 22:29
Thing that struck me about drums, if the sprog demands a guitar for Crimbo,then, as is the norm for sprog of drum/guitar demanding age abandons same after a week, it is a lot easier to store away a Guitar in a cupboard to gather dust than a huge bloody drum kit.
A hard lesson learned by a neighbor of mine across the way,
One did warn him.
:rolleyes:

Spotting Bad Guys
4th Nov 2009, 23:15
I've got one of these babies....more expensive than an accoustic kit but absolutely fantastic sounds and no real noise to bother the neighbours with!

YouTube - ROLAND TD-9Kx namm_2008 johnny rabb :: Roland Iberia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpVvH166nWM)