PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into it after a 6 year break?

BubbaMc
25th Dec 2008, 07:49
Hey guys,
Long story short, my last flight was back in Dec '02, which was a charter flight, upon returning I had a few problems with my employer after apparently taking too long for that particular trip (45kt headwind in a C172 will do that). 6 years and an engineering degree later, I'd very much like to get back in the seat again. I'm happy with my day job but wouldn't mind doing a day or two a week instructing.

I'd like to know what the situation is right now in terms of job availability with regards to instructing and part time work? (I'll be flying out of Jandakot)

First of all I'll need to get current again, which may take a while. Has anyone returned after a long break?

I'm off to get a class 1 next week and then I'll order my ASIC. I've got a fresh AIP on order so I'll be devouring that, and maybe a few charts aswell. I understand there has been some major changes in the industry to bring it inline with the USA, but I'm not sure at this stage what the main differences are, any tips?

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Hasselhof
25th Dec 2008, 08:00
Returned after a similar period as GA roadkill earlier this year. Found VFR singles pretty straight forward but pretty much bit off more than I could chew at the time with plans to renew my MECIR. After a bit of work managed to get that done before heading north. Got some SE charter work pretty much straight away and am now slowly moving up the ranks. Well worth doing :ok:

Good luck!

BubbaMc
25th Dec 2008, 08:07
Cheers mate. How long had you been out of the game for? I had my MECIR but that will probably be the last thing I'll renew. At this stage I have no dreams for future airline work as I'm enjoying my day job, but it wouldn't suprise me if that all changes once I start flying again.

Hasselhof
25th Dec 2008, 08:52
Stopped flying for work in Feb 03, then all together by the end of that year (with only a few hours in between those times). First flight back into it was in June 08 so time away was around 5 years I guess. Glad I'm back :ok:

legaleagle73
26th Dec 2008, 00:26
I had eight years off before starting again at the beginning of the year. Like you I'm not planning on giving up my day job anytime soon but it's great to be flying again and I'm starting an instructor rating in a couple of weeks with a view to hopefully getting some casual work on weekends.

My advice would be to start hitting your old theory books/notes hard and get a flight sim for your computer (preferably with a yoke/throttles/rudder pedals) to practice everything you were ever taught - it's a lot cheaper trying to remember it all on the ground than in the air! If you don't have your old books, doing your ATPLs (assuming you haven't already done them) is a pretty good way of refreshing your memory and learning plenty of new stuff too.

You'll probably surprise yourself with how quickly it all comes back.

Cheers:ok:

powersfasher
26th Dec 2008, 06:56
Don’t bother with the ASIC(costs about $120), only valid for two years and your new employer should cover the cost of that one anyway. Not even sure you would need it if you fly out of Jandakot. Unless you wanted it to get a discount on food at the terminal/lunch bar, that is.

Use the $120 towards flying(yes I know you wont go far on that amount of money), books or ASL exams.

More importantly, go to Jandakot airport and knock on a few doors. Try the places that you would like to work first and see what minimums they require to be one of their instructors.

Be honest with them and tell them that you only want to work part time. They are probably happy to hear from someone who only wants to work on the busiest time of the week – the weekend.

Do the door knock before you spend your money on flying recency. Why?

Because if you make a commitment to do your flying at a school you want to work at then spend money there you can impress them with your determination and attitude and will most likely get a job there. Also while you are spending your hard earned money you can see how they operate and treat their students (and staff) and decide if that is the place you really want to work for.

Just remember your probability of getting a job is lower if you spend your money in one flying school and then go looking for work down the other end of the same airfield (is that fair ? probably not but that’s business).

So do plenty of research before parting with the $.

Anyway, enjoy getting back into flying, the thing is, it is challenging at all levels but not rocket science.

the wizard of auz
26th Dec 2008, 07:59
Yeah, What he said.