PDA

View Full Version : Ch4 alternative Xmas msge

Richard Taylor
24th Dec 2008, 18:59
As an antidote to HM Queen at 3pm...you can always tune in to President Ahmadinnerjacket! :eek:

They are taking a broadcast from the Iranian President, wishing all infidels a Happy Crimbo no doubt...:hmm:

I think Channel 4 have had alternative Xmas messages before.

WorkingHard
25th Dec 2008, 06:31
Dont forget Ch4 is funded by the British taxpayer. Why do we have to pay for this kind of thing through taxation?

Beatriz Fontana
25th Dec 2008, 07:26
Channel Four has been broadcasting alternative Christmas messages for the past fifteen years or so - most are very controversial. Best watched in the alcoholic haze of this evening. Watch the Queen and record the alternative one for when you're in the mood for yelling at back at the telly.

Anyway, don't knock freedom of speech. We might not have it one day.

viktor inox
25th Dec 2008, 14:00
It's hard to imagine that anyone - least of all the UK taxpayer - needs an unkempt idiot and infidel who doesn't know how to dress himself properly talk about the spirit of Christmas :yuk:

El Grifo
25th Dec 2008, 14:13
Like the lady sez.

Free speech - one each :ok:

Many can be and often are, misquoted, deliberate or otherwise.

It would be nice to hear it from the horses mouth for once.

Sadly, no Ch 4 where I live.

C4 is a commercial channel as far as I am aware and not funded by the taxpayer.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Merry Christmas
El Grifo

PS. As for the Queen's Christmas message, I suppose TV has to cater for all tastes. Never chose to watch it myself :bored:

cldrvr
25th Dec 2008, 14:35
El Grifo, we the tax payer pay for Channel 4. This year they are 150MM short.

here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/3710411/Banks-eye-role-in-Channel-4s-funding-crisis.html)

Storminnorm
25th Dec 2008, 14:53
Pay attention to Aunty Bettie's Christmas speech in 5 minutes!!!!

There you go !!! Wasn't that worth waiting for??????

bnt
25th Dec 2008, 15:15
Ahmedinnerjacket's speech is already up on Platitude Of The Day (http://www.platitudes.org.uk/platblog/index.php?entry=entry081225-070208). I think it's been slightly edited, however... :}

frostbite
25th Dec 2008, 15:24
Yes, C4 is funded by the taxpayer, although it has been reported that C5 are keen to take it over.

That will be a bad day, if it happens.

fitliker
25th Dec 2008, 15:59
It is wonderful that he is seeking devine guidance in his daily life .We should all pray that he gets it :}:}

Gen. Jack D Ripper
25th Dec 2008, 16:52
Channel 5 take over Ch4...? If they promise not to show 'Alternative' Christmas Messages from violent, bigoted, lying, egotistical, monkey-faced dwarfs like Ahmenijad then it can't come a moment too soon.

Personally, I'd prefer to see the nasty little sh*t being fisted by an African Black Rhino than running the risk of having his dishevelled fizzog gurning at me from my new plasma during a wholly Christian festival.

Can we get Nick Griffen from the BNP to beam directly into Muslim homes during Ramadan, Eid, Haj or Proph' Mo's birthday? Afterall you can't be selective as to who has the right to free speech & who doesn't.

Ban one,then ban all.
:ok:

Matari
26th Dec 2008, 03:47
For all fans of irony:The irony of Britain's channel 4 giving Ahmadinejad the pulpit in the name of free speech is that as he was speaking, Iranian authorities raided and closed down the BBC's Tehran offices and, separately, in the spirit of goodwill to man, ordered Christmas trees banned from Iranian kindergartens...
The Corner on National Review Online (http://corner.nationalreview.com/)

Richard Taylor
26th Dec 2008, 09:19
Was watching was Queen's speech yesterday evening & thinking it was more boring than usual, until I realised it was in fact Stanley Baxter!! :bored:

Didn't see the Iranian guy's speech...Dr Who was more relevant...:}

Beatriz Fontana
26th Dec 2008, 11:39
I watched the speech (later than broadcast because the 1915 re-run clashed with Corrie - priorities, eh?)

Here's a very telling bit:

Today the general will of nations is calling for fundamental change. This is now taking place. Demands for change, clamoring for transformation, urgently calling for a return to human values are fast becoming the foremost commands of the nations of the world. The response to these demands must be genuine. The prerequisite to this change is a change in goals, intentions and directions. If tyrannical goals are rearranged in an attractive and deceptive package and imposed on nations again, conscious people will stand up against them.

I'd say President Elect Obama would say much the same thing: the Iranians and maybe the Arabs would probably think the same as we do toward Ahmadinejhad saying those words - yeah, right...

President Ahmadinejhad is standing for election in 2009. The Iranians have had a revolution once before. The economy is in tatters, and like the UK government, Iran has a habit of blaming everyone but themselves for the carnage. Iran's neighbours don't particularly like what the Iran government is doing, let alone the West. Change is overdue in many quarters.

I thought it was particularly brave of Channel Four. He didn't actually say anything controversial - ironic, yes, considering what's going on in his country and the general perception the world has of him and his government. The problem comes from reactionaries wanting to ban voices left, right and centre because they don't agree with it. That attitude drives the controversy and adds to the notoriety.

He probably thought this was a perfect opportunity to stir up controversy in the West, and some people rose to it. The mere fact that the UK didn't ban his voice puts the UK on a moral highground over him and his government, and that's the message we should send home to him.

I say let the man have his say, then those who choose to listen can hear him for themselves. But ban him comlpetely? The UK allows free speech, freedom of expression and democracy. You've got some learning to do, Mr President.

BTW, Press TV, the Iranian Government's English news channel, has been available on Sky in the UK for months. I don't hear anyone calling for that to be shut down...

El Grifo
26th Dec 2008, 12:01
The mere fact that the UK didn't ban his voice puts the UK on a moral highground over him and his government, and that's the message we should send home to him.

Once again, I find myself in accord with your thinking.

This is the nub of the matter.

Unfortunately, I still have not seen or heard the speech.

If anyone can supply a link I would be grateful.

Merry Christmas
El G.

Lon More
26th Dec 2008, 12:05
Stanley Baxter did it better than either of them last night.
82 and, like Johnny Walker, still going strong.:ok:

El Grifo
26th Dec 2008, 12:54
The full text of a Christmas message from Iran's president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad | World news | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/dec/25/ahmadinejad-christmas-message)

If this is all there was to the speech, then it is nothing more than the same old fairy story from another old deluded soul, who is hung up on pushing the same old religious rubbish on to an otherwise grown up world.

Low Flier
26th Dec 2008, 14:53
during a wholly Christian festival

Bollocks!

You show a complete ignorance of Islam, Gen Jack D Ripper. In fact Jesus is deeply revered as a Prophet by all Muslims. They have a slightly different name for him, Isa bin Mariam (Jesus, son of Mary), but he is very highly regarded by both Sunni and by Shia Muslims.

I thought President Ahmadinajad spoke very well. He showed so much more dignity and intelligence than the infantile cretin Shrub would have done in similar circumstances.

Here's what he actually said:

"Upon the anniversary of the birth of Jesus, Son of Mary, the Word of God, the Messenger of mercy, I would like to congratulate the followers of Abrahamic faiths, especially the followers of Jesus Christ, and the people of Britain.

"The Almighty created the universe for human beings and human beings for Himself.

"He created every human being with the ability to reach the heights of perfection. He called on man to make every effort to live a good life in this world and to work to achieve his everlasting life.

"On this difficult and challenging journey of man from dust to the divine, He did not leave humanity to its own devices. He chose from those He created the most excellent as His Prophets to guide humanity.

"All Prophets called for the worship of God, for love and brotherhood, for the establishment of justice and for love in human society. Jesus, the Son of Mary, is the standard-bearer of justice, of love for our fellow human beings, of the fight against tyranny, discrimination and injustice.

"All the problems that have bedevilled humanity throughout the ages came about because humanity followed an evil path and disregarded the message of the Prophets.

"Now as human society faces a myriad of problems and a succession of complex crises, the root causes can be found in humanity's rejection of that message, in particular the indifference of some governments and powers towards the teachings of the divine Prophets, especially those of Jesus Christ.

"The crises in society, the family, morality, politics, security and the economy which have made life hard for humanity and continue to put great pressure on all nations have come about because the Prophets have been forgotten, the Almighty has been forgotten and some leaders are estranged from God.

"If Christ were on earth today, undoubtedly He would stand with the people in opposition to bullying, ill-tempered and expansionist powers.

"If Christ were on earth today, undoubtedly He would hoist the banner of justice and love for humanity to oppose warmongers, occupiers, terrorists and bullies the world over.

"If Christ were on earth today, undoubtedly He would fight against the tyrannical policies of prevailing global economic and political systems, as He did in His lifetime.

"The solution to today's problems is a return to the call of the divine Prophets. The solution to these crises is to follow the Prophets - they were sent by the Almighty for the good of humanity.

"Today, the general will of nations is calling for fundamental change. This is now taking place. Demands for change, demands for transformation, demands for a return to human values are fast becoming the foremost demands of the nations of the world.

"The response to these demands must be real and true. The prerequisite to this change is a change in goals, intentions and directions. If tyrannical goals are repackaged in an attractive and deceptive package and imposed on nations again, the people, awakened, will stand up against them.

"Fortunately, today, as crises and despair multiply, a wave of hope is gathering momentum. Hope for a brighter future and hope for the establishment of justice, hope for real peace, hope for finding virtuous and pious rulers who love the people and want to serve them and this is what the Almighty has promised.

"We believe Jesus Christ will return, together with one of the children of the revered Messenger of Islam and will lead the world to love, brotherhood and justice.

"The responsibility of all followers of Christ and Abrahamic faiths is to prepare the way for the fulfilment of this divine promise and the arrival of that joyful, shining and wonderful age.

"I hope that the collective will of nations will unite in the not too distant future and with the grace of the Almighty Lord, that shining age will come to rule the earth.

"Once again, I congratulate one and all on the anniversary of the birth of Jesus Christ. I pray for the New Year to be a year of happiness, prosperity, peace and brotherhood for humanity. I wish you every success and happiness."

:ok: