PDA

View Full Version : You will believe that a man can fly!

mickjoebill
24th Dec 2008, 09:20
The next step from base jumping where the aim was to avoid the cliff you were jumping off is to "fly" down and across the cliff face. Pictures toward the end of the clip are totally extreme!

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1778399&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1

Mickjoebill

gingernut
24th Dec 2008, 12:00
Love the comentary as he buzzed the road... "DUUUUUUUUDE!":)

BOAC
24th Dec 2008, 12:06
OK - how do you undo SERIOUS toe-curl:eek: Awesome.

corsair
24th Dec 2008, 12:25
Not something you want to try in conditions other than absolutely calm wind. One gust and splat!::eek:

tony draper
24th Dec 2008, 12:37
Certainly spectacular,but only goes to prove if indeed proof was needed that all young men think they are immortal.
:E

indiscipline_girl
24th Dec 2008, 12:38
Must be a hell of a rush. But how long before they join this list?

BASE Fatality List (http://www.splatula.com/bfl/)

ehwatezedoing
24th Dec 2008, 20:08
Lots of (stupid) lessons to be learn reading this list and you don't need to go far down.

#6 Pauli Belik - Mar 07, 1983 Pauli Belik
Object: Antenna
COD: Impact
Description:
Pauli, along with several other jumpers, had been jumping the day prior and landing into very deep snow. The jumpers shook the dry snow out of the canopies prior to packing, but evidently Pauli didn't remove it all. What's left melts inside the packed rig while it sat in a warm room. The jumpers deposit the rigs into the trunk of an old Saab and drive to Stockholm. The temperatures are well below freezing. On deployment Pauli's canopy went to line stretch but is basically a solid block of ice that never inflates.
:eek:

traveler
24th Dec 2008, 21:18
Yeah, yeah, yeah, but man .. can you imagine the thrill !!
Wild.

Howard Hughes
24th Dec 2008, 21:35
If you are travelling at 'terminal velocity' as those gentleman (dudes) are, you are FALLING, not flying...:rolleyes:

Although they do have some control over which direction they fall, but still not 'FLYING'!;)

Pugilistic Animus
24th Dec 2008, 21:36
CWF:}----don't know what it means oh well:E

I prefer a Pitts or Extra thank you

Brian Abraham
25th Dec 2008, 02:07
Not so Howard. Tis raw bone FLYING. Wing suits have a glide ratio up to 3:1 and generally reduce the vertical velocity component to 60 MPH, and momentarily to 25 MPH. Jeb Corliss and Luigi Cani are looking at making an attempt very soon to fly a wing suit to a safe landing with out resorting to the usual parachute deployment. They believe with the techniques they are developing it will be doable.

Howard Hughes
25th Dec 2008, 02:21
Would imagine you only get one chance at 'attempting to make a safe landing', hats off to them if they do, but still looks like falling to me!;)

Surely 'flying' includes the ability to climb for more than just a few momentary seconds?:E

Seldomfitforpurpose
25th Dec 2008, 02:32
Isn't CGI great.............:p

Howard Hughes
25th Dec 2008, 02:52
Wing suits have a glide ratio up to 3:1
3 to 1? That's better than the Space Shuttle...;)

Arm out the window
25th Dec 2008, 04:29
Not something you want to try in conditions other than absolutely calm wind.

Not sure wind would affect you that much - I'd imagine they'd cut through pretty well - high wing loading and all.

ThreadBaron
25th Dec 2008, 12:39
Well, that's knocked all the excitement of my Christmas Day! I want, I want I want.:*

None of the above
25th Dec 2008, 16:44
Not entirely unrelated; this chap lived to tell the tale. BBC Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7795728.stm)

N o t a

BarbiesBoyfriend
28th Dec 2008, 01:40
I'n not sure quite how I feel about this from a 'flight safety' point of view.

However, from a 'I always wanted to stick my arms out and fly' point of view, like,

you know, as you do in the playground, I thought this was utterly mesmerising and quite ballsy.

While that last bit could easily have resulted in an unsuccesful attempt to miss the ground, overall.........have my RESPECT!:ok: