PDA

View Full Version : Another Tax from Dour Gordon

ORAC
24th Dec 2008, 07:34
Just what we need as we enter a recession. Still, Gordon has to get the cash from somewhere to pay for his ever increasing spending fantasies..... :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Motorists face 60 fines and three points on licence for minor accidents (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/3919223/Motorists-face-60-fines-and-three-points-on-licence-for-minor-accidents.html)

Motorists at fault in minor accidents face 60 fines and three points on their licence in a clamp down on careless driving by the Government..........

Yak97
24th Dec 2008, 08:10
1. The Government concern at the lack of convictions for careless driving is probably down to the introduction of speed camera's and the reduction in police patrols.

2. I believe the standard instruction from your insurance company is not to admit liability for an accident/incident. So with both drivers not admitting liability, the police now become judge & jury in deciding whose at fault to issue the fixed penalty notice, unless they automatically issue 2 thus doubling the income!

3. People will be less likely to involve the police in a minor knock if there is the possibility of being fined for it.

ORAC
24th Dec 2008, 08:25
Reference point 3.

They'll just change the rules to make it mandatory to report and accident where there is either an injury or an insurance claim is involved - somewhat similar to the rules in Alaska. The insurance companies will have to report claims to the police - in which case anyone not reporting at the time can be chargd with failing to report/leaving the scene of an accident. :ouch:

The result will be the police having to spend the majority of their time effectively acting as tax collectors rather than fighting real crime. But they've been going down that path with speed cameras anyway, this is just logically the next step.

CUNIM
24th Dec 2008, 08:49
This is really going to help us all

The charge may be brought where a motorist:

1. drives into the back of another car due to inattention

2. tries to read a map at the wheel

3. inserts a cassette or CD or tunes a radio

4. argues with passengers or other road users

5. eats or drinks at the wheel

6. smokes at the wheel

7. uses a hands-free mobile phone

8. fails to stop at a school crossing

9. splashes a passing pedestrian by driving through a puddle

10. listens to music so loud that it masks other road noise

Sheesh:*

Krystal n chips
24th Dec 2008, 10:10
Hmmm ! Not quite the "doom and gloom" the article would seem to suggest...indeed, if you read it closely, there would seem to be more possibility and inference....nothing like a good middle England dose of angst after all....rather than definitive statement. That said, the drop of 75% in conviction rates from 1986 may well have something to do with the reduction in Traffic Officers of course....:rolleyes:The article seems more of a self promo for the Torygraph to be honest....no surprise there then :E

I note though, that erm, being the recipient of oral sex was not included in the proposed list.....:E

However, when you get events like this, starring as ever, the Clockwork Clowns from da ! da !.....The Highways Agency...then I suppose revenue has to be generated somehow.....:yuk:

BBC NEWS | England | Merseyside | Speeders have convictions quashed (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7797948.stm)

Storminnorm
24th Dec 2008, 10:13
I bloody well KNEW smoking would get in there at some stage!

What about " Indulges in any form of sexual activity"?
Or is that allowed? :confused:

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Dec 2008, 10:16
Actually the roads would be so much more pleasant if all the bad drivers were kept off them. Say, make the driving test and exams up to the standards of pilot testing, with a check ride every couple of years, concentrating on attitude. (There was an SF story where the driving test was conducted in the simulator, and the candidate's brain function was monitored, and at the slightest hint of agression not only were they denied the driving licence but they were dragged off to the loony bin.)

Nah ... it'd never happen ... there are too many dangerous and incompetent drivers, so they have too many votes, so no party will really try to keep bad drivers off the roads.

Chesty Morgan
24th Dec 2008, 10:17
7. uses a hands-free mobile phone

Err...so using a mobile 'phone normally is ok then!?

TBirdFrank
24th Dec 2008, 10:19
Krystal - you volunteering?? :E

Krystal n chips
24th Dec 2008, 10:28
Erm, how can I put this Frank......as one is male, one would be more than willing to be a volunteer.....providing the other party was. er, FEMALE. :D:E

Beatriz Fontana
24th Dec 2008, 13:17
Other things seemingly allowed at the wheel:

Putting on make-up, or plucking eyebrows
Programming the sat-nav
Picking nose
Singing to music which masks other road noise
Yelling at the radio in response to some stupid comment from a phone-in talk show caller.

Even better, merely thinking about what a stressful day you've had or that great sex last night... or is that just driving without due care and attention? :}

Storminnorm
24th Dec 2008, 13:26
Beatriz, that's just dusting off old memories I'm afraid. ;)

capewrath
24th Dec 2008, 15:33
Krystal n chips wrote:-

"I note though, that erm, being the recipient of oral sex was not included in the proposed list.....http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/evil.gif"

You could already get done for that. Ask Gillian Taylforth's partner (and there was no other vehicle involved).:)

BOFH
24th Dec 2008, 15:57
Say, make the driving test and exams up to the standards of pilot testing, with a check ride every couple of years

I usually vehemently disagree with Gertrude's opinions, but this is spot on.

Nobody I know rates himself as a bad driver, even though I know many of them to be dangerous. It would be rather nice to see them taking pride in being able to pass the examinations every now and again. IQ tests before voting would also be a step forward.

Having said that, road travel is now far safer than it was in the past. It will never be completely safe, but perhaps punishing lousy drivers with a repeat driving test would sort out the wheat from the chaff and prevent my car being off the road for six months while the spare parts are being acquired:mad: .

BOFH

Storminnorm
24th Dec 2008, 16:13
BOFH, It's fine having IQ tests before voting, but why not make
it a requirement for the prospective Parliament candidates to have an IQ
test as well?
Probably empty the place. Thick bloody irriots!
I STILL think there should be a "None of the above" box on
ALL voting slips.
That would sort 'em out....

tony draper
24th Dec 2008, 16:35
What about paying undue attention to lady pedestrians in short skirts?:uhoh:

Checkboard
24th Dec 2008, 16:56
This has always been the system in Australia - a paper ticket and fine for careless driving, handed out on the spot, and only ends up in court if you want to contest it. Very sensible - the only thing that prevents me from being amazed that this is not already the case in the UK is my experience that everything in the UK is about 30 years behind the rest of the world. :suspect:

Yak97
24th Dec 2008, 17:57
Storminnorm posted BOFH, It's fine having IQ tests before voting, but why not makeit a requirement for the prospective Parliament candidates to have an IQ test as well?

It would probably be more useful if prospective MP's could show some work experience in the real world (not social work/unions/researcher etc) and that they actually owned & drove a car, so that they know what its like to be driver, rather than just looking down their nose at the rest of us from the back of their chauffeur driven cars.

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Dec 2008, 19:05
BOFH, It's fine having IQ tests before voting, but why not make
it a requirement for the prospective Parliament candidates to have an IQ
test as well?
Probably empty the place. Thick bloody irriots!
Possibly correct. There is indeed only one qualification for elected office in the UK: getting more votes than the other b****r.[1]
I STILL think there should be a "None of the above" box on
ALL voting slips.
Sigh. For the 147,005th time, there is. Just leave your ballot paper blank. Blank ballots are reported separately to spoiled ballots. There are rarely more than single figures of blank ballots - in 99.99998% of cases people who say "I would vote if there was a NOTA box" are simply lying, they're simply too bloodly lazy to bother to go to the polling station.

[1] OK, there is some sort of residency or relevance qualification, but that's easy.

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Dec 2008, 19:07
It would probably be more useful if prospective MP's could show some work experience in the real world (not social work/unions/researcher etc) and that they actually owned & drove a car, so that they know what its like to be driver, rather than just looking down their nose at the rest of us from the back of their chauffeur driven cars.
My MP does not drive. He does not have a chauffer driven car either - he travels to and from the station by bus, because, he tells me (when I've met him on the bus), that's a good way to meet constituents.

Beatriz Fontana
24th Dec 2008, 19:21
When I lived in London <shudder> my local MP used to take the tube to work. That soon changed when he became a junior minister...

Blacksheep
24th Dec 2008, 20:00
My car uses my hands free mobile phone without asking. It also talks to me, reads maps & gives direction instructions, warns me of speed cameras, tells me to watch my speed and generally acts like a mechanical wife. I'd happily pay 60 just to get it shut up.

Brewster Buffalo
24th Dec 2008, 20:11
These proposals are, according to DT article, ....... contained in a Department for Transport consultation paper.....so no need to worry yet....

Loose rivets
24th Dec 2008, 20:20
9. splashes a passing pedestrian by driving through a puddle

25 or 30 years ago, I read of a successful case being brought for doing just this. Would have been a private prosecution then I suppose.

A senior license that you were proud of would be the way forward. It could give you the right to 10mph more and allow you to turn on a tight left against a red light. This can save hours over a year, just sitting with a clear road to your left.

In fact, they aught to do it for everybody, not to is just plain daft.

We turn right on a red in the US...in the few states that I've driven in town in anyway. You have to give way to opposite traffic turning to go their left, where normally they would give way to you.

NWSRG
24th Dec 2008, 20:51
Can I formally object to the title of this thread on the grounds of inaccuracy...

"Dour Gordon" ceased to be dour once the "credit crunch" got into full swing...he always seems to be a very happy chappy now that he's saving the world from the problems he helped create...:E