PDA

View Full Version : Any left handed Cirrus drivers around?

BlinkC182
24th Dec 2008, 04:04
Stuck in traffic this morning and as you do, I was thinking about the different types of lighties around these days. The Cirrus has the joy stick type control on the left, thats fine, but I am left handed so when it comes to writing down frequency's, clearances etc I've always swapped hands on the control column (masterbating jokes aside please) scribbled down whatever with the left and had the controls in the right.
How does one go about doing this in the Cirrus, without the aid of autopilot?

Jabawocky
24th Dec 2008, 04:16
Just fly from the right.........:ok:

Howard Hughes
24th Dec 2008, 05:04
without the aid of autopilot?
Who fly's without an autopilot?:eek:

Fighter pilot's seem to manage...:ok:

VH-XXX
24th Dec 2008, 05:24
I'm left handed and have around 25 hours in the SR20 and SR22 and this has never been a problem for me. I came from a centre stick operated by the right hand.

After thinking about this for a moment I realise that I've never written anything down whilst flying the Cirrus. Given that it has an assigned altitude dial on the dash, I've never had a reason to. As for frequencies, most would have the dual Garmin GNS430 so I normally just dial up the next frequency on the second comm or the standby of the first. As for transponder codes, with the Garmin transponder you can just dial up the code by pressing the relevant buttons (no turn dials) as you go and no further button presses required.

Not sure how others do it, but I always dial in my radio, alt and code as they are given to me.

Lasiorhinus
24th Dec 2008, 06:12
If its trimmed properly, you won't find any change in attitude when you let go of the control stick.

Flying from the right-hand seat works well, though I suspect glass-cockpit Cirruses (Cirri?) have the MFD angled in such a way that its less convenient to do so.

You could always teach yourself to write with your right hand... but I think you'll find properly trimming the thing would be simpler.:ok:

sdbeach
24th Dec 2008, 18:16
Funny thing, but this thread woke me up and helped me remember that I'm left-handed when I fly my Cirrus. Now that I have 7 years in my SR22, I don't think about it much.

One tactic that I use, and that I talk about during COPA safety seminars, is to try to put every ATC instruction into the automation, as well as what you write down.

Frequencies -- put them in quickly and read back the display. Squawk codes -- punch in the code and read back the transponder display. Climb and maintain -- enter the altitude pre-select and read back the display. Turn to heading -- dial up the heading, select HDG on the autopilot, and read back the display. Interesting test of proficiency and understanding when discussing this with new Cirrus pilots.

When hand-flying, another tactic is to maintain trim so you can let go of the side-yoke and allow the plane fly itself. The trim on my SR22 is a bit twitchy, so the plane will begin turning after 30 seconds or so, but that's been enough to let me organize some stuff, write some stuff, and get back to maintain level flight.

Note: Cirrus uses a side yoke, not a joy-stick nor a side-stick. It is mechanically connected to the control surfaces.

More importantly, when hand-flying in IMC and needing to write something, I've become good at asking ATC to standby or repeat instructions to give me some time. Using good radio technique has never gotten me out of sorts with ATC.

Finally, if really necessary, I will cross hands and hold the side-yoke with my right hand -- not to change things, but to maintain control. Then I get to write notes to myself or update a squawk list.

Of course, I use the automation a lot and rest my left hand on the side-yoke constantly as a monitor of what the plane is doing. But I've also hand flown 20+ hours after an autopilot failure. So, with some diligence and skill, left-handed Cirrus flying can become routine.

Cheers
Rick

AussieNick
25th Dec 2008, 05:36
trim and rudder boy :}

cogwheel
25th Dec 2008, 06:02
A bit like asking a Right Handed Victa/AESL AIRTOURER pilot how he does the same thing. Would have been much more of those over time (as the column is in the center and the pilot in the left seat used the right hand for control).

Most folk seem to have work arounds in the Airtourer case, especially as there is no autopilot etc... just the basics!

:ok:

sprocket check
25th Dec 2008, 21:02
Learn to write numbers at least with both hands. If you're a leftie it is much easier as you already possess a certain amount of ambidexterity. Just a bit of practice-do it when doing your flight plans and not in a hurry.

Disco Stu
25th Dec 2008, 22:17
Yes I too am right handed and the only aircraft I will confess to ever having any serious trouble with was the Tiger Moth. Writing was easy enough, it was actually keeping the paper you had written on in the cockpit that was the challenge. A challenge I failed to meet, often.:}

Control columns were too difficult for Cessna/Piper/Beech to 'sell' to the American mass market so they made a steering wheel and promoted flying as "like driving a car".:yuk:

Strangely until recently most larger aircraft have had 'steering wheels' and yet things like fighters still have control columns. Along comes Airbus and now we have the popular!!"side stick".

They are a bit late however as fifty years ago, an expatriot Polish/Australian aircraft designer gave us what is in effect the 'side stick' and created a most comfortable and natural feeling control layout. I refer of course the Henry Millicer and the Airtourer. :D

As 'cogwheel' pointed out, we managed, it was no real problem. :ok:

Disco Stu