PDA

View Full Version : 744 at LHR With strobes on at stand.

HeathrowAirport
23rd Dec 2008, 15:13
Hi,

No its not one of those questions, were i went too my local and i saw something interesting. But a BA 747 had its strobes on for 1hr at least while on stand at T5, its rather odd as i know normally there for use in the air and on the runway.

Anyone able to explain?

Robbie

TopBunk
23rd Dec 2008, 15:45
Probably the Ground Engineers doing their daily checks. And yes, they can be a bit tardy switching them off.

spannersatcx
23rd Dec 2008, 16:32
Not that pilots ever fail to turn them off after they've arrived on stand and are in a rush to get out of there.:eek:

spamcanner
24th Dec 2008, 10:11
A bit naughty that! Engineering policy states that they
should never be switched on when on the ground unless
for testing purposes and sufficiently covered. Military
types I'm involved with use only red stobes when taxying
in. Not sure if airliners have this option. Anyway, Merry
Christmas all :O

Rainboe
24th Dec 2008, 11:05
Whose 'engineering policy'? The Engineers turn them on and do their round aeroplane walkarounds and checks without crew present. The strobes can be on for a long time. The plane is at the terminal. It is not unusual to see and completely without hazard. When was the last time you tried covering the strobes of a 747? Is a cherry picker high enough to get you up to the tailcone? So if you are going to quote 'regulations' be quite certain they apply to the situation!

BOAC
24th Dec 2008, 12:52
Robbie - the simple answer is someone screwed up. An eng check of the lights should not take more than 10 minutes. I would guess TB has it right. They should not be on that long and it is a hazard to others.

Rainboe
24th Dec 2008, 23:43
Well if it is a 'hazard to others', how come it is OK for 10 minutes? Isn't it a 'hazard' then for 10 minutes, or is that an 'acceptable hazard for 10 minutes only' hazard? Every time I have seen strobes left on, there is an engineer doing his checks.

I'd like to report hazardous use of English: <<....i know normally there for use in the air.......>>. Who do I speak to to get the perpetrator in trouble?

dubh12000
25th Dec 2008, 10:22
If this was Saturday around 10am, then yes there was a 744 over on the B gates with strobes on for a more then 1.5 hours. We bused past it on the way in and there was some engineering activity around it. It also had the APU on, which I found strange.

spannersatcx
25th Dec 2008, 10:42
are you talking wingtip strobes or red beacon here? if red ones, not really a problem, it may of been that they were on as a warning to others not to approach a/c, may of been engines running, hydraulics/flying controls being operated etc.

BOAC
25th Dec 2008, 17:43
is that an 'acceptable hazard for 10 minutes only' - yes, until you find a way for the engineers to do the check differently. Don't you really think 1hr+ is a bit slow?

Rainboe
25th Dec 2008, 19:43
The thing was parked at the terminal. No skin off anybody's nose if the stobes or rotating beacon are left on for as long as the engineer takes to do his checks and oils and panels and tyres and walkarounds and whatever! It is not a fighter where you can reach the lights so comparison with RAF regs is not applicable. It is slightly depressing that people identify airline and location, sometimes even an individual service number and date, to draw attention to what they perceive as negligence by the part of the employees involved. The word 'snitch' comes to mind! Sometimes it's easier just to say 'they are doing their job, MYOB!'.

greggx101
25th Dec 2008, 19:54
Blimey, 4 posts on xmas day about some blo***y strobes being left on - youre days must have been as boring as mine.

MERRRY CHRISTMAS.

daelight
26th Dec 2008, 03:03
I recall witnessing a 737 landing at Dublin a few years ago without landing lights on.

Itswindyout
26th Dec 2008, 04:14
I saw the sledge with no tail light, but a rather big nose light (red), left on all night recently.

Must take more water with it.

happy father frost to you all......

windy