PDA

View Full Version : TSA retraining

Loose rivets
23rd Dec 2008, 06:24
A short program on US t/v yesterday.

TSA's 50,000 operatives are to all be given a kind of retraining - with the emphasis on the psychology/anger-management issues etc.

This is to cost, $35,000,000.

They are also to be kitted out in a much more police-style uniform to garner more respect from the public.

The see-through scanner, seemed to be a much more sensible system than to be patted down etc.. The images just have numbers, and the face is blotted out. No problem from me on that one.

apaddyinuk
23rd Dec 2008, 09:22
Give them the anger management training alright but dont bother with the uniforms, they will only gain respect from the travelling public when they earn it themselves.

They should really learn a thing or two from the security staff in DUB! No police style uniform and generally all very charming!

radeng
23rd Dec 2008, 10:56
I found TSA at Phoenix and San Diego very good, polite, fast, helpful and efficient. In fact I rate Phoenix as the best airport I've been to, followed by Nice, Sydney, Arlanda. Bottom of the list is LHR, and working up, LGW, FRA and CPH.

gavin360
23rd Dec 2008, 12:11
I travel to the us 5-6 times pa always entering at mco on ei were you have to clear immigration [dept of homeland security] and then pass througt TSA to get to the terminal and its a pain in the you know what i have noticed over the last 5yrs that D H S has improved but the TSA still stink and it will take more than retraining to sort out the attitude they have.

WHBM
23rd Dec 2008, 16:58
A significant part of the TSA problem is that they have become the employer of choice for personnel returning from the US military. And of course they bring with them the complete lack of customer-facing skills that they had with their former employer, plus the chance to score one back on those social groups who might have been officers.

A $35m programme ? That's a good enough contract to attract those who secure work through lobbyists in Washington. Someone will do well from negotiating such a deal. Whether the training actually achieves its public-facing description of improving anger management is, of course, for those who sell to government agencies, completely irrelevant.