PDA

View Full Version : What Is It With AsA?

Ex FSO GRIFFO
23rd Dec 2008, 02:06
Following robust discussion in a forum re VTC's - the SY one for entry into ASBK, - I attempted to 'dial up' the SY VTC on line.

The response is that the 'VTC' page, 'Flying Around', is currently unavailable - it is 'Offline'.....

'It is being updated to reflect the changes to the Visual Terminal Charts(VTC) effective 20th November 2008'.

I wonder if anybody at AsA Publications has noticed that 'effective 20th November 2008' was OVER A MONTH AGO!!

Hello, hello, anybody home???:ugh::ugh:

Griffo. Tuesday 23/12/2008.........:zzz::zzz:

andrewmizzi
23rd Dec 2008, 03:55
Bit of a joke really.

If they had any brains, they would have made the changes before the 30th Nov on a mirror server, and migrated it across come December.

Give them due credit though, they've probably been to busy on their $3.8 billion dollar solution to giving terrorists angle trajectories to hit flight paths........http://mel.webtrak-lochard.com/

Matt-YSBK
23rd Dec 2008, 05:12
andrew:
What is a joke is that im sure they spent a fortune on that web track page but could not find the budget to send the same information to us via the mode S so we could cheaply put there radar data onto our GNS 430/530's

Howabout
23rd Dec 2008, 05:37
Griffo,

I think it's all part of the continued cost-cutting. Last time I looked, AsA was not going to provide updates to DAPs after the November cycle on their website. I found this service useful, as I could always do a check to see that my hard copies of DAP East and West, for specific locations, were on the money - I am not the world's best when it comes to doing bloody amendments.

I'd also hazard that the move was somewhat cynical and an attempt to generate extra revenue. With all the on-line flyers around, and looking at my son's software it's pretty impressive, denying the computer flyers electronic access to DAPs forces them to pay if they are going to have up to date info. These dicks would do anything for a buck.

My son's got access to my DAPs, but I'd surmise most of the others haven't got similar access.

Just a bunch of grubby, greedy management trolls who's focus is on the buck at the expense of any sort of service.

bentleg
23rd Dec 2008, 07:40
Following robust discussion in a forum re VTC's - the SY one for entry into ASBK, - I attempted to 'dial up' the SY VTC on line

The relative section of SY VTC is available here (http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k129/bentleg/YSBKonSYVTC.jpg)

Ex FSO GRIFFO
23rd Dec 2008, 08:08
Many Thanks Bentleg,

However, my original point remains unanswered......

Is it REALLY the $'s....Nah! It COULDN'T be the $'s.....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

cogwheel
23rd Dec 2008, 08:38
Especially since the data (content) is owned by the State (the Commonwealth).

ASA are only the publisher of the data.

The "authority" for the content is CASA not AsA.

Either way, we get ripped off .... :mad::mad:

max1
24th Dec 2008, 01:49
The dollar is King at ASA.
They have lost sight that they are supposed to be there for the industry, not the other way around.
Those occupying the upper echelons of BS castle believe themselves to be some 'kick ass' business people (and recompensed accordingly), and ASA is a business to return maximum dividend to its share holder i.e. the government.

There are still good people here trying to service industry, however the GD clones will always try to wring an extra dollar out of it.

They are talking about adjusting Airways Routes to enable controllers to gain 'generic endorsements' (like pilots being expected to remain current and proficient on all aircraft types, we already maintain up to seven endorsements), this would entail redesigning airspace to suit ATC staffing numbers, and may lead to aircraft flying longer miles to fulfil ASAs ill-planned and ironically named Service Delivery Environment (SDE) which has contributed greatly to airspace closures.

I'm wondering if they will put out one of those letters that I tend to get from Phone Companies, Electricity providers, Banks, etc that start off with the line
' To continue to provide you with a great service ....... in line with other companies ..... we are putting out fees up.... you know we wouldn't rip you off anymore than we have to.....we really value your business..blah,blah,blah.