PDA

View Full Version : Who to contact re. Air Nelson jumpseat?

Q300
22nd Dec 2008, 22:04
Hi guys

I have a quick question for the knowledgeable folks at PPRuNe (well, some of you from what I've seen before I signed up :}).

I'm flying on Air Nelson (Air New Zealand Link) in January, and as an aviation enthusiast and student pilot, I wouldn't mind getting the jumpseat on on of my flights.

Does anyone know who I'd contact about getting such an awesome oppurtunity?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
James

GWidgery
23rd Dec 2008, 01:26
Hi James

I flew with Air Nelson last April from Nelson to Wellington, and then up to Hamilton, manging to get the jumpseat for the first leg.

I'm not sure how to go about getting it authorised in advance, you could try sending a letter, but not so sure if that would work.

I just wrote a note explaining who I was and asking for the jumpseat, handed it to the flight attendant whilst boarding, who then handed in to the captain, who invited me up front!

It's a bit hit or miss as to whether that'll work, but I think most of the guys wouldn't have a problem with it. It helps if you're one of the first people arriving at the aircraft, that'll give you the best chance.

It might also depend on the weather on the day, if it's pretty bad they might not want anyone else up there, that's the reason I wasn't allowed up front for the second leg.

But definitely ask, the worst they can say is no!

GWidgery

spotty101
23rd Dec 2008, 03:08
I fly quite regularly on these and there once was a lady who was scared of flying and so for that flight the pilot let her sit in the jumpseat and she got a certificate at the end and everyone clapped her when we landed because the flight attendant had told us why she was up there. She said that pilot quite a few times has taken people up with him who are scared of flying so they'd probably let you is my guess? :)

PyroTek
23rd Dec 2008, 06:04
What's that spotty? Just act like you are afraid of flying and you'll get up? Sweet!:ok:

The Green Goblin
23rd Dec 2008, 07:26
God, you would have to know Morgan Freeman as god almighty himself to get a jump in Aus :ok:

Hell would have had to freeze over for me to even give up the right seat in the day (or she was a kilo :P)

Nothing worse than a PPL piping up i want to sit up the front (pulling out a Bose headset they conveniently brought along) then whining every now and again asking why the whiz wheel wasn't out to do ground speed checks and how you didn't have the waac out plotting positions and calculating 1 in 60's :)

If a PPL piped up in the day they always got the rear seat :ok:

Q300
23rd Dec 2008, 09:24
Blardy hell Goblin.
I wouldn't be pulling any of that if I were to get up front - I'd sit quietly, listen to instructions and hopefully just be with like-minded people. I couldn't imagine trying to tell a professional pilot with many more hours than someone like myself how to do their job.

Thanks for the responses everyone, we'll see how it goes. :)

nike
23rd Dec 2008, 13:59
Just don't mention anything about Somalia.

AirSic
23rd Dec 2008, 14:41
Have seen it a million times on TV,

to get up the front all you have to do is know the password for the day.

State the password and they cannot refuse to let you in!

It's in the rules somewhere I think:E

I don't think they change the passwords that often because the last 5 or 6 movies I have seen this happen it always seems to be the same.......

"I have a bomb"

Works every time:ok::}

mattyj
23rd Dec 2008, 19:25
I got a ride up the front of an Air Pac B763 when I was a PPL back in the 90s. Good bastards..let me stay for take off and landing. Merry Xmas to those guys wherever they are now:ok:

spotty101
23rd Dec 2008, 21:26
Lol I didn't mean that :), but sorry I don't know the name of the pilot who did this but I think it's people he knows who he takes up? Not sure, I think others are right and just ask nicely?

spotty101
23rd Dec 2008, 21:29
oops sorry i meant to say i think they would have organised it in advance but not sure?

minimum_wage
27th Dec 2008, 04:14
Green goblin, stick to GA mate.

Q300, if you have no luck with getting in touch with line ops mngr, ask the crew on the day. Get the right ones and it should be ok. Official line is you need to know the passenger, but you might get lucky on the day if you don't have a crusty Nelson based captain.
:)

Grogmonster
27th Dec 2008, 04:25
Q300,

Just read your post. I must say I am very surprised that any person other than Air Nelson employees would be allowed on the flight deck of any aircraft conducting RPT due security concerns. I assume you have an ASIC but even that would not cover you as they are only meant to be used in the pursuit of lawful execution of your duties not as a get in free card. I would be interested to know if the laws are different in NZ???

LPS500
27th Dec 2008, 20:18
From NZCAA website..............

121.85 Flight compartment admission
(a) Each holder of an air operator certificate shall ensure at least one
forward-facing observer’s seat is available in the flight compartment, on
each aeroplane performing air operations, that is suitable for use while
conducting en-route inspections.
(b) Each person performing an air operation shall ensure that no person,
other than the flight crew members assigned to the flight, is admitted to, or
carried in, the flight compartment, or occupies a pilot seat, unless that
person is permitted by the pilot-in-command, and is—
(1) a crew member; or
(2) an authorised representative of the Director; or
(3) permitted by the holder of the air operator certificate in
accordance with procedures specified in the certificate holder’s
exposition.
(c) Each person performing an air operation shall ensure that all persons
admitted to the flight compartment or occupying a pilot seat are familiarised
with the appropriate safety procedures specified in the certificate holder’s
exposition.

see_my_slots
27th Dec 2008, 21:45
Or Bank Angles.

:\

Steve Zissou
28th Dec 2008, 04:52
Mattyj - did the captain let you sit on his knee? Did he ask you if you'd ever been to a Turkish bath house...? :uhoh:

future.boeing.cpt
28th Dec 2008, 07:25
Just don't mention anything about Somalia.
Or Bank Angles.

http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/wibble.gif

haha,
he's not in a beech so he'll be right
;)

Q300
28th Dec 2008, 07:28
Yer you can get away with jumpseating in New Zealand providing the operator ok's it (as pointed out by LPS500).

I've heard Air Nelson can be quite helpful in that regard, a few mates of mine have jumpseated with them before (but none of them would share their methods). I didn't realise it was as easy as just asking at checkin.

I don't have an ASIC as I'm not from Aussy, and I don't have the NZ equivalent yet either (operative word being yet - hopefully I'll get me a freshly minted copy one day in the future :ok:). I have a drivers license though :}.

Thanks guys for your comments and help. Much appreciated. I'll let you know what happens and maybe post pics if you're interested (though most of you will know what the cockpit looks like :p).

always inverted
29th Dec 2008, 06:33
I'm sure the crew wouldn't have any issue with it, I know I wouldnt, but I dont have that luxury... I jumpseated on the Q last year and just asked at checkin, but I was working for one of the other link operators at the time.
Unless they are doing like a passive line check or something similar or training it should be fine, I'm sure that the training has slowed somewhat... As has ours.

If you do, sit, use some common sense and keep quiet from start to toc, and descent till after landing unless they offer earlier. Take it all in.

Captain Condom
30th Dec 2008, 09:11
Strictly speaking we are supposed to know the person, but it depends on how the crew feels on the day (and what the punter looks like). Other than that, the only rule is that you need to be in the jumpseat from before engine start to shutdown - i.e. we are not allowed to open the cockpit door in flight. Ask the hostie when you get on board (before we start up). Normally it is not a problem - we like new faces on the flight deck. If you get up front, enjoy yourself. Try to talk a little less sh*t than the captain.

If you get a no, it doesn't mean we don't want you - often the jumpseat is in use (passive line checks) or they are training up the front.

Q300
2nd Jan 2009, 06:34
Gave 'em a ring the other day, the person to speak too wasn't there.
Apparently they don't get back until the day prior to my trip, but the woman that answered the phone thought it would probably be ok even if it wasn't arranged in advance.

I will probably still ring back the day before I go though. Thanks for your replies!