PDA

View Full Version : Australia CASA Flying Instructor Course

Droste
22nd Dec 2008, 05:14
I am intending to do a Grade III CASA Flying Instructor Rating course early next year.

I wonder can anybody (member from this forum) recommend a school? Need not to be a "superb" reputable flying school. Any country-side training school is fine with me! So long, the training course fee is resonable, and willing to help student arrange accommodation. Or, easy for me to get an accommodation near to the airport.

Since, I am neither an Australian nor the people living in Australia. So, I have no idea where can I get a place to stay. As a foreign student, it is so headache for me to get place to sleep especially most schools do not provide accommodation.

Also, kindly do not recommmend any schools situated in
1) Bankstown Airport
2) Jandakot Airport

WannaBeBiggles
22nd Dec 2008, 06:18
If regional is no issue, go up to Innisfall and visit Bob Harris (Bob Harris Flying School: citysearch (http://www.bhflyschool.com.au/)) or Port Macquarie to coast jet (Flight Training, Multi Engine (MECIR) Endorsements, Instructor Ratings, CPL Commercial Pilot training (http://www.coastjet.com.au))

Droste
22nd Dec 2008, 06:32
If regional is no issue, ... ...
Yup...regional is not an issue! :=

I can go anywhere. You name it, I will look through it and I shall go for it.

ReverseFlight
22nd Dec 2008, 08:10
Hi Droste,

A word of friendly advice about flight school accomodation. You should visit the schools and their accomodation before you make up your mind. WBB seems to be knowledgeable and so that's a good start.

I have gone far and wide around Australia to check out many flight schools, particularly those offering accomodation. I usually stay at their quarters for a night when I book a trial instructional flight.

Some schools are quite indifferent to maintaining their student dormitories. Others suffer from a lack of local amenities and so you need personal transport just to get your daily groceries. Just some of the things to watch out for.

Good luck with your choice.

Droste
22nd Dec 2008, 17:17
Hi Droste,A word of friendly advice about flight school accomodation. You should visit the schools and their accomodation before you make up your mind. WBB seems to be knowledgeable and so that's a good start. I have gone far and wide around Australia to check out many flight schools, particularly those offering accomodation. I usually stay at their quarters for a night when I book a trial instructional flight.Some schools are quite indifferent to maintaining their student dormitories. Others suffer from a lack of local amenities and so you need personal transport just to get your daily groceries. Just some of the things to watch out for.Good luck with your choice.
Foreign students always face this kind of accommodation.

Back in United States, most flying schools do not provide any accommodation and they expect you to find yourself.

If the U.S. (or Australia) aviation schools really want to attact foreign students, the schools must doing something about it! Cater to the student basic needs first. I knew lots of people interested in flying. Just that, I do not want to introduce them to these expensive yet crowded schools in the east (CA)/west (FL) coast of United States. I can easily grab and recuit students from mainland China and India if the schools provide decent accommodation.

There are many afforable, reasonably priced and good school in United States. However, very often, these schools expect students to get themselves ccommodation. It is so silly to advise student to sleep in those costly motel or hotel!

Now, I am really really really scared of that. I have seen lots of students being forced to stay in expensive motel. My rule is simple, "no accommodation, no flying" even if the school is a good one! It also tells me that the school is unwilling to help student arrange accommodation. There is no point and waste of money to stay in an expensive hotel just for the flight training. I am sure most people will agree with me.

I hope to get a good school that will help student to arrange accommodation. As a foreign student, I want a 'yes' answer. I find it god-damn silly to receive answer such as "find yourself accommodation" from the school.:ouch: How can a foreigner able to get a room by himself whilst not knowing the place well!

Aerodynamisist
23rd Dec 2008, 06:24
Droste try Professional Pilot Training at Coffs Harbour, an excellent school with accommodation available, also has controlled airspace and you will almost always have the training area to your self.
Professional Pilot Training (http://ppt.net.au/index.htm)

If you go there be prepared to work hard. and don't forget to correct Rob it's straight and level not "level and straight" .

ReverseFlight
23rd Dec 2008, 06:40
Hi again Droste,

I would not go to any school where they just give you the name of a motel and ask you to be punctual for next morning's lesson. The only time I have done that is when the school frankly told me their quarters were too messy and suggested a nearby clean motel for a short stay, which turn out to be absolutely great ! At least they were honest about it.

There are many schools in Australia where they have their own private accomodation which is serviced and cleaned periodically. The best thing about such quarters is you get to meet the other students to discuss training points and exchange the latest info about what's happening at the school. Such schools are less likely to treat you unfairly as you would be in the loop about things.

The location of such accomodation range from on-airport facilities (usually at smaller aerodromes in the country) or close-by quarters (especially in built up areas in cities and towns).

I believe there is no substitute for an advance visit in person because different students have different tastes. Maybe that's too much to ask coming from Amsterdam but I hope you'll see my point.

Droste
23rd Dec 2008, 12:11
If regional is no issue, go up to Innisfall and visit Bob Harris (Bob Harris Flying School: citysearch) or Port Macquarie to coast jet (Flight Training, Multi Engine (MECIR) Endorsements, Instructor Ratings, CPL Commercial Pilot training)
I have already emailed the schools and I strongly doubt that they are going to reply! :=

Based on my experience, majority of schools do NOT reply email. If you don't believe, you can try for yourself.

Still, I shall wait for their email reply. :)

Droste
23rd Dec 2008, 12:14
Droste try Professional Pilot Training at Coffs Harbour, an excellent school with accommodation available, also has controlled airspace and you will almost always have the training area to your self. Professional Pilot Training
I have already emailed them and I see how it goes.

Usually this kind of online email submission, it just only for show. I doubt they will going to reply.

In fact, all schools do not reply email or entertain query through email. It is so sickening and forcing overseas applicants to make trunk call to them! :ugh:

Droste
23rd Dec 2008, 12:22
There are many schools in Australia where they have their own private accomodation which is serviced and cleaned periodically.I doubt so...Even if 'yes', I think is going to be an expensive flying school.

The location of such accomodation range from on-airport facilities (usually at smaller aerodromes in the country) or close-by quarters (especially in built up areas in cities and towns).
I believe there is no substitute for an advance visit in person because different students have different tastes. Maybe that's too much to ask coming from Amsterdam but I hope you'll see my point.I am not a choosy person and I can live in any diastrous condition. Even if it a free rental, living in a car garage is totally fine with me.

ReverseFlight
23rd Dec 2008, 12:50
Droste, check your PMs.