PDA

View Full Version : Australia GA Maintanence

stretchka15
21st Dec 2008, 23:44
Hello people new to this site. I'm currently studying at Aviation Australia cert 4 in structures/mechanical. And would like to get an apprenticeship in GA. But I'm looking for maintenance companies that not just do hanger work but also fly out to other airfields and properties to fix GA aircraft. If anyone has any info this would be great.

epic
22nd Dec 2008, 02:25
Hi Stretch
have you thought about doing a rotary wing apprenticeship. us rotary wing engineers carry out work like this all the time.
you get to go to some pretty amazing places and if you are in the right company the rewards can be good if not great. i still find the work interesting after 20 years.
the market for rotary wing engineers has been and probably always will be tight therefore job security seems to be good. I do not work for a small GA company now so i am a bit limited as to where you may start. PM me if you are interested and i will help if possible.
Best of luck.
epic

Hasherucf
22nd Dec 2008, 07:47
Hi Stretch

I would say go the path that epic suggests if you enjoy travelling . I work in a GA hangar and I would say there is no shortage of work for those willing to get their hands dirty. Not many do travel jobs unless its breakdowns or recovery.

PM me if you want some suggestions on places in WA . I would say the works hard and plenty with the bonus of low pay :ok:

I thought the Aviation Australia program was aimed at people going to the airlines and last I looked it only covered props theory but no piston theory.

stretchka15
22nd Dec 2008, 08:04
Thanks for the reply's. Be Pm u both soonish. Hope get more reply's to. Are you able to give me the average income for GA AME and LAME are there much difference between them and say Major Airlines like Qantas, jetstar virgin?

Hasherucf
22nd Dec 2008, 08:36
Giving general figures of GA as I have no idea about airlines or rotary :
AME 45k -55k
LAME 65k -100k (Depending on experience,location and licenses)

Cant say you wont do better but you can easily do worse.

epic
24th Dec 2008, 02:56
All i will say publicly is that i worked briefly in the airlines and i've gone back to helicopters for the past 20 years...
i suppose the one negative with helicopters is that you sometimes have to travel to chase the work. But there are some good home based jobs.
When you get older the travel bug can wear off.

subsonic69
24th Dec 2008, 10:31
hi sir ...

im wondering what is the average salary an AME is getting from JHAS... my interview will be this january and I was wondering if you have any idea too ...

cheers!!

to give an idea of experience. been dealing with Heavy Maintenance on Airbus and Boeing aircrafts for about 7 years now .

stretchka15
25th Dec 2008, 01:02
Helicopters sound good there, what job in aviation don't you need to go chase the work. Thanks for the info guys

stretchka15
26th Dec 2008, 05:02
Anyone got any numbers to contact for apprenticeships with either GA companies or Helicopter companies?

stretchka15
12th Jan 2009, 09:32
Bump anyone?

stretchka15
13th Jan 2009, 23:53
anyone know if rescue services helicopters. allow people to Do work experience, or do apprenticeship with. Looking mainly in south east queensland.