PDA

View Full Version : 737-800 Landing Lights

UnderASouthernSky
21st Dec 2008, 15:28
A 737-800 passed over me yesterday on approach to land (less than 2 miles until touchdown) with it's cluster of 4 "main" landing lights on around the wing root at MLG.

I noticed a bright beam of light shining vertically down, and then rotating upwards so it was facing forwards.

What is this feature called, and what does it achieve? Was it related to the nose gear light not being on? Is it a standard feature on the 737 NG fleet, or optional?

The only similar thing I've seen is on the MD-8* series, but their lights are on the wingtips.

Why would there be a need for lights to point vertically down, or did I just catch it as it moved through the vertical?

sccutler
21st Dec 2008, 15:44
The landing lights retract so as to provide less aerodynamic drag when not in use; when activated, they turn on and deploy, rotating from pointing down (whilst faired into the wing) to pointing forward.

AircraftOperations
21st Dec 2008, 19:12
They do that on some of the older 737s

But those lights are located halfway along the wing.

Don't think the NGs have lights located in the same position.

EGAC_Ramper
21st Dec 2008, 21:28
Yup you can say there are 6 lights for landing on the NG 4 will be switched on during approach normally at FL100. Then the lights you speak of are selected ON only after a clearance to land has been recieved and as mentioned point downwards then swing down+forwards so this is what you will have seen.

Regards

UnderASouthernSky
23rd Dec 2008, 10:06
Thanks for your help guys, especially EGAC Ramper.