PDA

View Full Version : Etihad New Joiners

Gazeem
21st Dec 2008, 12:45
Hello,

Could I ask for a little help with a couple of questions about Etihad employment?

Firstly, a little about my background I’m a Brit with heavy jet experience, a pre-school family and an ex-military background.

I have spent 10 weeks or so a few years ago in Abu Dhabi staying in hotels near the Corniche and in the main quite liked the climate and the place in general.

I am tempted to apply for a position in the current Etihad employment round (which I believe closes 31 dec??). I am happy that I have gleaned enough information about the pay, T’s & C’s time to command etc about the company through Pprune and other sources.

The two questions that I am keen to find a current answer to are?

What is the standard of accommodation like for a new FO, does it vary with the number of dependants you have with you? Can you move up the scale after a few months/years in UAE? Does it afford you a pleasant stand of living. (also if you have an interview is there the chance to visit any typical accommodation?)

The second question is how life would be for my wife and toddlers – is there a support network, ex-pat community or social life, either official or otherwise, like you might find in Germany with the forces. Do you feel it would be a suitable and happy place for a young family?

Any help appreciated,

Gaz

abc1
22nd Dec 2008, 05:46
I am after the same info gents.Could anyone be so kind as to answer some questions please?
What areas do expats live in?
Flat or Villa?
Primary education?
Anything that can shed a light will be very much appreciated.
Thank you,The basics.

cameljockey
24th Dec 2008, 13:20
Hi,

Accomodation is a tricky one in AD, there is not much around.
As a new joiner you'd have the option of a villa (typically 3 bedroom) or an apartment. Four bedroom apartments are entitiled if you have 3 or more kids.

When and where the accomodation happens is pure chance at the moment. You won't have a good idea of what is available until the day before they offer you something. Ask to see some accom during the interviews, not normally a problem for them.

In general though, the accomodation is fine ( when you have some). Plenty of room and lots of other expats in the vicintiy. The wife and kids will easily fall into some support group or other. Typically set up around sports or school activities there are many great night outs to be had with friends.

Check out the Abu Dhabi mums website or you might want to join a club, the British club downtown has lots going on.

Good luck

Chandler Bing
24th Dec 2008, 22:30
Accomodation can be very bad. You have no choice but to accept what they come up with. Typically a lot of guys were sent in the middle of nowhere in Mussafah, the industrial Islamabad, where your wife and daughters will be very welcome by the rappists's community.
Villa's, if you are lucky enough to be a kiwi, otherwise forget about them, housing market in Abu Dhabi is short of around 20000 units a year.
The recruiters have a rare ability to lie at your face.
Abu DHabi, if you are lucky enough to be downtown will be quite alright for your wife and kids, a lot of expats, playgrounds etc... schools are expensive but level is pretty good, except the french one I heard, but who cares....!!
It's safe , except the driving which can really be a threat.
Wather, well it's middle east, don't expect snow except indoor, 4 months are unbearable, your family MUST go away, and you will fly in the heat. the rest of the year is fine.
Inflation was pretty high ( 15 %) but as euro and pound decline that's a bit better but still a concern for most expats. That's one of the reason why people leave.
Job security is a joke, no protection at all
Medical is likewise, so many exceptions that it's even ridiculous to call that an insurance.... just a way to employ locals pretending to do something.

You are there to pay back the salary they give you in various services, like identity card, medical expenses, malls , yearly skyrocketing car insurances, house rents, speeding tickets, next year's VAT, visas for your dependants, staff tickets, community charges etc.... and if you buy a property in this loosing market, interest rate is around 9 % with a 30% downpayment.....you pay it 3 times and you give it back to the locals when you leave..... as you don't own the land, clever...

UAE have also their problems. They have to sustain the locals' way of living , which is , you'll se by yourself, anything but low profile. They spend big time and are refunded by the sheikh on various Eid occasions.
Depsite oil money, expat community is a nice milk producing cow.

Ey management is as bad as the others, not even able to be worse, as a few individuals are not even clever enough .

Training, well, skip it , it's a disaster. a blend of copy-paste bush pilots, hardly able to pass the sim sessions they design.

Rostering ? does it even exist ? I thought it was an abu dhabi urban legend.

Remember you may join the best airline in the world..... How pathetic is it ?

Think twice, it's not that bad, but far from nice either.

NTM
25th Dec 2008, 06:22
I see that Chandler B, has a soft spot for locals.
What did they do ??? or are you jealous of what they have ??

Later and merry Christmas!!

Chandler Bing
25th Dec 2008, 07:39
Different cultures, that's all
Just saying that this is no secret that they don't have to work to receive a subsidual state allowance.
But the young generation which had only known wealth aren't ready to work one day, and that day will come.
Unlike other countries, just like next door, oman or bahrain where you have to work to get a salary, spirit is different.
What's wrong with doing nothing of your life ? well you get bored and don't challenge mental capabilities.
I guess it's human
No jealousy there, I don't wanna become like that.

Jet II
25th Dec 2008, 08:30
Different cultures, that's all
Just saying that this is no secret that they don't have to work to receive a subsidual state allowance.

urban myth - I work alongside locals who work harder than you outside in all weathers.

I don't deny that some don't need to work, but that applies to all nationalities in every country.

NGrat
29th Dec 2008, 14:42
Hi all

Im new on PPRUNE and wondering if there are anybody who can tell me the employment situation at Etihad? I signed up on their website just about 1 month ago, but havent heard anything yet!!!

Regards

NGrat

NGrat
1st Jan 2009, 13:20
Well, where else can i get information from pilots already working for EY?? Im very serious about comming to AD with my family (wife and daughter) and work for EY, so could anybody give me any information on rostering, accomodation, lifestyle and finances living in AD??

Rat

camelbreath
2nd Jan 2009, 18:18
What exactly do you need to know

The financial package is as it says on the website, and is/has always been paid on time
The housing is a big problem, but everyone is different so only you know what you would be happy with. just dont expect a big villa with a pool etc!
It is what is available at the time.
The rostering is no better or worse than any UK airline, its not bid line so depending on your fleet you will get some decent trips and some crap.

The cost of living is about the same as UK, certain things like petrol etc are a lot cheaper.
Education standards vary and it can be difficult to get your kids in the best schools.

My advice would be to come and look around, and dont take everything the gloom merchants write as gospel, its really not that bad!

Good Luck!:ok:

Reinhardt
5th Jan 2009, 05:07
Abu DHabi (...) a lot of expats (...)... schools are expensive but level is pretty good, except the french one I heard, but who cares....!!

Chandler thing

Do you know what the french tell you ?
Do you know the number of families here (brasilian, egyptian, russian, syrian...) who register their children into french schools, because not at any cost do they want them to be "educated" like anglo-saxons ?
Honestly, when being asked by any local in the street, for any reason, where do you come from, do you tell him the truth ? no, like I know you have been advised, you will present yourself as irish, as nobody is supposed to have any quarrel with this country.... open your eyes, buddy
Does your country have a proper usual name, other than an acronym ?
Do you have any idea of the amount of french presence here in the Emirates, in aerospace (civilian & military) or in various businesses ?
Oh probably not, as people like you aren't usually well aware their surroundings, and of the level of hatred encountered here against specific nationalities (even if it always stay calm and polite, that's the interest of being in the Gulf)
Did you and your fellow colleagues ever questioned the wiseness of wandering around everywhere in shorts, flip-flops and base-ball caps, chewing gum and displaying tatoos ? I've seen so many of them here that it looks like a a caricature... not talking about tatoos and piercings, which seem to have become quite common recently (watch the poolsides) after some recruitment surge from a specific country...
Grunting "heeayyy!!" instead of "Good morning", or "what's that?" instead of "sorry, beg your pardon?" saying "basically" "you know" at every sentence corner (watch the Caroline Kennedy TV interview disaster of last week, and you will get a clear picture of the disaster..)
Feeling superior because you talk very fast - only the smart ones will remark that by saying always the same dozen of words, it makes the whole exercise easier...
Flashing your teeth for any reasons "it's so greeaatt !" (especially the female ones)
Learning sport and playing social games in your schools instead of mathematics, languages, history and geography, then bringing political correctness to the world culture...
So please, don't take any interest in our numerous schools here in AD, and stay in your unilingual universe (what you call global)
and please keep posting on PPRuNe, I need competition - on all subjects which for good reasons can't be discussed in cockpits...

Anytime baby

All my apologies for the numerous courteous, knowledgeable and articulate pilots from the above-mentioned species, which I had the pleasure to fly with and to be entertained by...

recceguy
5th Jan 2009, 06:23
The school issue is in fact a sensitive one, which will be a factor in choosing accomodation. Now regarding the "level" of any of those... well, to have your children educated in their mother tongue is already a must, and yes some nationalities have this possibility more than others. So yes a number of french schools, but also some german ones as here in Sharjah, and also for russians - which is normal regarding the number of them... now italians or danishs must make a choice..
Chandler you should be more considerate of other nationalities - comparing their schools here in the Gulf is pointless, like comparing countries by themselves, or maybe it was your idea at the beginning ? I think you started the conflict with reinhardt (alsacian ?) who gave me some material for further bashing events...
To come back to the subject of new joiners and school, I should say that the biggest problem is that, having no idea of your next residence location, registering your children is therefore a nightmare, be it in a british, french or mongolian school... some of those pooor kids end up packed in their buses for more than one hour, along with drivers and nurses unable to speak ANY european language at all....

glidder
5th Jan 2009, 07:13
that was veeerrryyy funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:E

Chandler Bing
5th Jan 2009, 12:41
Obviously people are taking things seriously there......
What's the point of it as you are just supposed to help by giving individuals' opinions !!
That's what democracy and freedom of speech is all about but maybe people still have to learn that.
Europe did it in the 14th century, US in the 18th who's next ?

shortfuel
5th Jan 2009, 17:57
Democracy and freedom of speech in Europe in the 14th...mmm I don't think so...:=

saviboy
5th Jan 2009, 22:19
I am not sure about freedom of speech in Europe during the 14th century maybe for the King .. ;) I am sure Chandler will give us more details about this.
however, saying that there is freedom of speech in the US is only partly true IMO.
Shortly before the Irak invasion in 2003, many people were uncomfortable to voice their opinion if they were not in its favor.
they would be called unpatriotic very rapidly. And I am talking about people who were born in the US. some people were even called traitors.
some would have conversations about it but behind closed doors.
And that was 4-5 years ago not several centuries ago.
freedom of speech in the US? maybe but there is a lot more of it in Europe IMO.

Gazeem
6th Jan 2009, 13:17
Just to bring this thread back on topic.....

Thanks to all those guys who made posts and PM'd. It's good to get some fresh feedback on how things are.

I'm hearing that Abu Dhabi has changed a lot over the last three years, sounds very exciting!

goeasy
7th Jan 2009, 06:13
It is Gazeem. And a brilliant move for anyone currently enduring the lovely UK winter. It is a very personal opinion for everyone, how they find it, but I firmly believe you wont regret the move!