PDA

View Full Version : UK as secular state - Red Alert - Some Labour MPs have a bit of a brain

BlooMoo
20th Dec 2008, 22:47
Labour MPs back separation of state and Church of England (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/3868700/Labour-MPs-back-separation-of-state-and-Church-of-England.html)

Why has it taken so long? Maybe the anglican church sees that being attached at the hip to an establishment led by such a woeful executive team as the Broon's loons isn't good marketing for them.

tony draper
20th Dec 2008, 23:09
Yer we could enjoy a brief respite until we are all obliged to attend the local Mosque.
:rolleyes:

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Dec 2008, 23:45
Yer we could enjoy a brief respite until we are all obliged to attend the local Mosque.
I've always ended up with a free curry when I've been invited to visit mine.

Flap 5
21st Dec 2008, 07:51
Of course. They are bound to curry favour.

El Grifo
21st Dec 2008, 09:52
Ha Ha ! that's a blast Flap :D

Lon More
21st Dec 2008, 12:10
Where did you get wind of that?

The Flying Pram
21st Dec 2008, 14:29
Now, now - you don't want to get too spicy in a religious thread......

SkyCamMK
21st Dec 2008, 17:09
Surely this would be a non-religious thread. If only we could really separate church and state but owing to the undue influence of the religious right and as trainee american puppets it is unlikely to happen since we have only a few declared and truly secular politicians here and they have none .

The Real Slim Shady
21st Dec 2008, 17:39
We could actually LEARN something from Islamic beliefs!!

People like Draper are extremists.

You encourage him.

Would you encourage an extremist who wasn't Christian?

Why not consider moderation?

tony draper
21st Dec 2008, 17:45
Draper a Christian? **** me!!:rolleyes::uhoh:

The Real Slim Shady
21st Dec 2008, 17:50
No.

Never a Christian.

Just an Extremist!

Tempsford
21st Dec 2008, 17:51
Extremist, Mr. D?

What he is does ends in 'ist', but which letters could be used in front QED....

El Grifo
21st Dec 2008, 18:26
I have an extended distaste for Islam.

Does that make me an extremist, or someone with freedom of choice and expression.

Fancy them calling you a ruddy christian Drapsey. A low blow indeed :}

bnt
22nd Dec 2008, 00:34
In my view, religion is just one more unnecessary thing that people do, like smoking. I don't smoke, but I'm not going to tell anyone else to stop smoking: just keep the smoke out of my face, please. Same with religion: do as you please, but leave me out of it, and allow me to think and do as I please, as long as it harms no one else. Please? ;)

VinRouge
22nd Dec 2008, 11:30
Also seems to be the cause of 99% of the worlds problems

Best thing the UN could do to support peace is to ban religion.

brickhistory
22nd Dec 2008, 12:34
Because everyone listens to the UN...

Effluent Man
22nd Dec 2008, 14:28
bnt, Not much hope of that.Religions have a long history of coercing those who don't wish to take part into joining in.It's a bit like making it compulsory to use heroin.

My test for how acceptable a religion is works on the extent to which they interfere in people's lives.Sadly we have one in our midst with a significant minority of it's followers who are prepared to stop at nothing to make us all follow their "true path".Naturally I am not prepared to name that religion,no,not even for you El G.

El Grifo
22nd Dec 2008, 14:49
Sadly Mr effluent, it is not "their true path" but "the ONLY true path" ie. yours, mines and everybodies, like it or not, which makes things a tad more extreme.

Not naming it will not make it go away.

Depending on where you live though, it might avoid a "firework through your letterbox" :ok:

cresta10
22nd Dec 2008, 15:03
I am with jews...atleast they are nice people..:ok:

El Grifo
22nd Dec 2008, 15:19
I have never had any problems with the Buddhists or the Hindus

kalooli
22nd Dec 2008, 15:35
True VinRouge, especialy if you count the current most prevalent religion of money and consumerism:D

eg. Credit crunch, Zimbabwe, oil wars and global warming