PDA

View Full Version : Aussies need your input

mostlytossas
20th Dec 2008, 22:13
This last week at Bankstown (Sydney's GA airport) we had a mid air fatality at the approach point radio tower 2RN. This is the second occurance this year which is unheard of over here. ( other was at Moorabbin Melbourne). The airports in question are GAAPs General aviation airport procedures which is basically a modified D tower airspace with less procedures like taxi clearances etc to allow for high rates of movements per hour. They are unique to Australia and we have had them since the rag and tube days. Most of our GAAPs are parellel runways with contra rotating circuits each with it's own controller sitting along side each other in the same tower. Both of these mid airs have occurred at or approaching the reporting points where pilots contact the tower for entry instuctions sequencing etc. Over here at the GAAPS everyone arrives using the same corridors which are about 5miles long. There are usually 2 or 3 per airport. We would like to know how your system works as some of us think maybe it is time to review how things are done and adopt worlds best practice if there is such a thing.
If you go to Dunna & Godzone the GA Forum Thread reporting point 2RN and have a read and join in by telling us how you do it over there as you must have plenty of busy GA airports. One point I must stress. Some of our forum members are very resistant to change and won't be told there might be a better way so be sensitive with your comments. The vast majority however would apprieciate your input.
Departures are handled simular with their corridors out.
Debate is raging at the moment.
Thanks in advance.MT

Kenny
21st Dec 2008, 03:57
MT,

As an Aussie who's flown in the US&A for the last 10 years, all I can tell you is that Class D airfields generally work the same way a GAAP does. Although it's unusual to have 2 controllers working 2 parrallels unless it's extremely busy. The Class D's also have the same reporting points, when inbound for circuits or landing.

I can remember about 5 years ago when I was geting my CASA ATPL, that all the guys at Archerfield were up in arms about adopting a US based airspace system. They seemed to be getting their tits in a tangle about GA using the same airspace as RPT carriers and even self-reporting at uncontrolled airfields.

As far as I'm concerned, I've flown in both types of airspace and I dread having to do my IR renewal due to the redundant and pointless procedures/radio calls. It's all far more difficult than it needs to be: A good example is an A/C on an IFR flight plan, requiring a clearance into controlled airspace, when you've been talking to BNE radar for the last 30 mins!!:mad:

As a wise man once said: Australia is the Galapagos of the aviation world.

Good luck changing the old-school mentality in Oz.

mostlytossas
21st Dec 2008, 05:14
Thanks for that Kenny, As an Aussie working O/S why not post your views on the said thread? Duke 16 did which in my view was one of the best posts I've ever read.
Merry Christmas to you all anyway
MT

GlueBall
21st Dec 2008, 15:58
Install surveillance radar at your busy GA airfield with a monitor in the tower cab with aural warning when trajectories of airplanes are on a probable collision course.

Eventually, affordable TCAS will become available for GA airplanes. The government could also mandate the installation of TCAS in training airplanes based at busy airports.