PDA

View Full Version : Guide Dogs/Assistance Dogs Onboard Aircraft

Hansard
20th Dec 2008, 15:15
I'd be interested to know how airlines deal with Guide Dogs or Assistance Dogs in the cabin of aircraft. I presume that special procedures exist, particularly concerning blocking emergency exits and the aisle.

Thanks in advance.

oldbalboy
20th Dec 2008, 15:53
on the airline i work for they are pre booked an extra seat in bulkhead row(obviously not exit) and dog has to be attatched to bar at base of seat using dog lead for t/o & landing, these dogs are extremely well behaved and usually generate a very positive response from other pax !

IFLy4Free
20th Dec 2008, 18:52
In the US they must be on the floor by the passenger at a window seat if no bulkhead, they may not be in a seat and they may not be held by leash to the aircraft. The passenger is not charged for an extra seat.

CD
21st Dec 2008, 13:40
Here is some guidance for Canadian airlines:

Advisory Circular 0121 - The Carriage of Service Animals in Canadian Commercial Airline Operations (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/commerce/circulars/AC0121.htm)

Hansard
21st Dec 2008, 16:35
Thanks everyone!

I've just read the Canadian guidance - a monkey onboard would be interesting!!

CD
21st Dec 2008, 19:14
Not as common as dogs, but there are a couple out there that travel from time to time.

Kanoknuahaha
21st Dec 2008, 20:03
I have seen FALCON's on board, and it was hilarious!!! Apparently, they valued a fortune, somewhere around 30k+ euro and they were going for a contest. They have to be seated on the window seat, paid by the master, their head covered with a hat and attached to some kind of hook. On take of they try to fly ( hahaha), they spread their wings, poor things. guide dogs very nice pax:E

cyclops16
21st Dec 2008, 23:08
May I please take a tangent on this subject as it is related. I am Registered Partially Sighted in the UK at the minute and a Guide Dog will be a probability at some point in the future. But at this time I use a Symbol Cane (White stick) in areas I am unfamiliar with,such as crowded areas. I can get around my home town without it as it is small,but if I went into Manchester,etc. it would be in use. My question is if I wanted to fly how would it be treated by the airlines as a security risk? and what would happen to it whilst I was flying? The reason I ask is that I am also a single parent of 3 under 12's (7,9 and 11) and we would like to visit my Mother in Spain at some point probably going RyanAir Liverpool-Granada as that will be the cheapest route.

IFLy4Free
22nd Dec 2008, 05:25
You would be treated like any other passenger except you would more than like ly be preboarded and offered assistance if desired.

andrewmizzi
22nd Dec 2008, 06:39
In Australia for the guide dog it's CAR 256a and states:

Subregulation (1) does not apply to a dog accompanying a visually impaired or hearing impaired person as a guide or an assistant if the dog is:
(a) carried in the passenger cabin of the aircraft; and
(b) placed on a moisture-absorbent mat as near to the person as practicable; and
(c) restrained in a way that will prevent the dog from moving from the mat.
And for the visually/hearing impaired person it's CAO 20.16.3

15 Carriage of handicapped persons

15.1 When handicapped persons are carried in an aircraft all reasonable precautions shall be taken to prevent hazards to other occupants.15.2 The carriage of handicapped persons in regular public transport or charter operations shall be in accordance with the following requirements:(a) the operator shall establish procedures which will identify as far as possible passengers who are handicapped;
(b) the operator shall ensure that handicapped persons are not seated in an aircraft where they could in any way obstruct or hinder access to any emergency exit by other persons on the aircraft;
(c) the operator shall ensure that individual briefings on emergency procedures are given in accordance with the requirements of section 20.11.

http://www.casa.gov.au/download/act_regs/1988.pdf

Little_Red_Hat
22nd Dec 2008, 07:53
Cyclops... from what I've seen the cane just goes on the x-ray belt to be checked, if needed they'd use a portable screening wand. If you advise the airline of the degree of your 'need' they can let the crew know how much assistance you might require. Usually if you haven't been on that particular aircraft type before, you'd be pre boarded and if you want the crew can give you a walk round so you can familiarise yourself with your seat, the toilets and the exits.

Once screened all vision-impaired passengers I''ve assisted have been allowed to continue using the cane or other aids as normal, you may keep it with you although it may need to be stowed overhead for takeoff and landing unless it folds up then you could probably put it in the seat pocket.

Also depending on your kids the airline might only need to give you a minimum of assistance aside from pre boarding if your children normally help you with every day tasks- we prefer passengers such as yourself to be comfortable and allow their family/helpers to do most of the 'helping' if that's what you prefer.

Hope this has helped and happy travels! :)

cyclops16
22nd Dec 2008, 16:34
Thanks for the help guys. That is the sort of info I required.My stick does fold up into 3 sections,so no problem then.

Again,many thanks.