PDA

View Full Version : seeking info on "Darkie" Dunn - Mildura

thunderbird five
20th Dec 2008, 09:05
Father in law from N.Z. is seeking an old mate - D.P. Pierce "Darkie" Dunn who once had ambitions of building a plane museum at Mildura.
Anyone know if the guy is still around - he'd be late 70's.

Thanks
T.B.5

linedriva
20th Dec 2008, 09:23
Anyone who has ever flown into MIA in the middle of the night on a freighter will know Pierce. There will be plenty of people who know him.

By George
20th Dec 2008, 10:06
I think he is in NZ somewhere, nice bloke, spent a night at his place once, my headboard for the bed was a Mosquito fin! Great museum in its day, he is a true "Total Aviation Person". Hated a beer, wouldn't mind saying hello myself if someone knows his current address.

Fantome
20th Dec 2008, 19:22
my headboard for the bed was a Mosquito fin!

Probably off the PRXVI now in the RAAF Museum at Point Cook. The only Mossie in Australia with wartime RAAF service. Pierce was going to swap her for a Harvard from Sweden but struck export restrictions imposed on heritage aircraft. Dusty Lane, then with Ansett, bought the Mossie, from an intermediate owner, then swapped her for a fly away RAAF surplus Dak. That Dak is now VH-OVM, with Mike Falls at Essendon. The Brain and Brown DC-3 that Pierce had is now in the Alice Springs Air Museum, painted in Connair colours, though that is purely representative. More than one Mustang flying today in the States passed through Pierce's hands. The last I heard of Pierce he had imported a Fiesler Storch, very original, in air ambulance configuration.

VH-XXX
20th Dec 2008, 19:39
You reminded me. 7 years ago there was an original Storch with inverted engine at Tyabb ready to be restored. I wonder what happened to that.

tinpis
20th Dec 2008, 21:05
http://www.pprune.org/d-g-general-aviation-questions/244823-mildura-warbirds.html#post3742006

thunderbird five
20th Dec 2008, 21:06
Fair Dinkum... thought it was a simple question, I'm looking to find the guy, not his life history! So.... any real clues on his current whereabouts???

Ta.
TB5.

tinpis
20th Dec 2008, 21:23
Its been tried in here before and he remains unearthed
Try Where are they now?

cogwheel
20th Dec 2008, 23:55
He is in NZ.

The site he used was "reclaimed" by Council and he had to move.

I understand he contributes to this forum from time to time but don't recall his handle

I suggest you try the Ultralite club at MIA or the Warbird movement in NZ