PDA

View Full Version : Whats the future with Air North

RENURPP
20th Dec 2008, 02:50
McCarthur River mine has laid off half their staff recently, now the papers are suggesting it may close altogether after they lost the decision in court and may have to un-divert the river.
Jetstar have taken over the Bali run, another E170 on its way next year.

Is the future looking as bright as maybe it looked earlier in the year, or is the future doubtful??

topend3
20th Dec 2008, 04:30
i would have thought that their existing E170 could be spending a bit of time on the ground in darwin, let alone finding work for a second one.

This will be especially the case if McArthur River closes down. They stopped their Perth service on the weekends for the wet.

The plan as publicly stated was to use the 2nd E170 to open up new routes into SE Asia but this decision would now have to look doubtful, especially with JQ committing lots of A320's to DRW.

Perhaps someone closer to the action could shed some light. Also, why do they carry on with this Regional Link branding when they only have one member...themselves???

Airnorth's new journey to Timor-Leste

Thursday 11th December, 2008
Airnorth, Australia's Northern Airline is launching new travel packages to Timor-Leste through travel wholesalers, Frangipani Holidays.

The packages, to and from the capital Dili, include airfares, a range of accommodation and activities that cater for both the traveller looking for adventure and people wanting to sample the rich culture of this new nation.

To launch and support the new Timor-Leste tourism packages Airnorth will fly their Embraer 170 Jet from Darwin to Dili and return every Friday, commencing Friday 12 December 2008 building up to daily services by May 2009

Airnorth was the first airline to establish services to Dili during the political uprising in 1999.

"At the time, the United Nations forces and other emergency personnel needed a reliable means of transport to reach Darwin. Since those early days the services have fluctuated in number from daily to three services a day and back to daily. Airnorth currently operate 11 scheduled services per week", Airnorth's Chief Executive Officer, Michael Bridge said.

"Today, of course, Timor-Leste is a much more peaceful nation than it was nearly ten years ago, and there are several new infrastructure projects underway, such as new resorts and hotels," Mr Bridge said.

With a great variety of pristine, live coral and aquatic species, Timor-Leste has always been a paradise for divers and one the new packages offers the ultimate diving experience during a five day stay.

Another package provides people with an interest in history, a comprehensive and reputable tour of the island, providing direct insight into the fascinating mix of Timorese, Portuguese and other cultures.

"Timor-Leste is often described as Bali 20 years ago, with beautiful beaches, developing tourism opportunities, and best of all, friendly people who are eagerly looking to the future after 30 years of conflict."

"We always have had a strong commitment to the development of communities in Timor-Leste", Mr Bridge said. "In particular we have supported and continue to support many Australian and international humanitarian organisations providing aid in Timor-Leste".

"We also sponsor medical teams travelling with large amounts of medical supplies and equipment to conduct clinics throughout the country", Mr Bridge said.

Stormynights
20th Dec 2008, 06:18
There are contracts in PNG for just those aeroplanes

RENURPP
20th Dec 2008, 06:28
A question for the mods.

I notice you moved this from airlines to the GA thread. What actually determines whther a company is an airline on this site?

Skywest operate similar size aircraft F100 and F50, Airorth E170 and E120's. They both operate RPT, whats the difference?

i dont mind where it goes just interested in your logic.

topend3
20th Dec 2008, 08:23
agreed...maybe anything thats a question goes here...

maybe the mods were bored...

Dog One
20th Dec 2008, 11:28
Does seem strange, Airnorth hold a high capacity AOC and by definition are not GA.

Pretzal
20th Dec 2008, 21:44
seems to happen to Rex threads too

bushy
20th Dec 2008, 22:49
The two airline policy is alive and well.

AerocatS2A
21st Dec 2008, 12:47
I think topend3 is on to it. The forum is General Aviation AND Questions, so I guess it goes here if it's a question regardless of whether or not it is GA.

RENURPP
22nd Dec 2008, 03:38
I wasnt having a go at the mods it was a question. Air North may operate a Jet, but does that make them an airline?

I received a pm from the mods answering and AerocatS2A is correct. I was asking a question not supplyingnews hence the move.

Like I said who really cares anyway, I was just interested in the logic of where to post.

Maxweight
24th Dec 2008, 04:46
These guys were advertising for pilots just on 2 weeks ago.I don't know if they are putting anyone on, hope for their sake that the Mac River probs don't affect them to much.Thought they would be relatively immune to the downturn in mining!

Maxweight

DAHMAH
24th Dec 2008, 10:02
From what I hear they are still putting guys on. Interviewing currently and early next year. I might have to put my CV in with things slowing down.

Dog One
24th Dec 2008, 23:24
Heard last week that they need to fill some slots on the Brasilia/Metro, as there has been internal promotion to FO slots on the 170. One crew already in Europe doing conversion. Apparently second 170 is due late April.

Stationair8
26th Dec 2008, 07:39
Little birdy told me that they will operate the second one on another mine contract. A certain township east of Darwin is about to get a major aerodrome upgrade for increased FIFO operations.

I love the smell of yellowcake in the morning.

The Voice
26th Dec 2008, 21:10
Seriously? 140ish nm in a jet?

tinpis
26th Dec 2008, 21:23
Har har....more like a Shed..worked well enough before..

Stationair8
28th Dec 2008, 06:02
Darwin-Jabiru-Cairns should be a nice couple of sectors for the crew.

topend3
28th Dec 2008, 12:11
if so then the strip at jabiru will need some serious $$$ thrown it's way...

Stationair8
31st Dec 2008, 07:34
Interesting article in this months Australain aviation on Air North, talking about 4 jets by 2010.