PDA

View Full Version : Layoffs at Skywest

Betwixt and Between
19th Dec 2008, 23:38
30 staff made redundent this past week at Skywest and rumours of another round early in the new year.
Management behind closed doors said to be in crisis talks, the word is that all the new charter work is not making money, underpriced? (Despite fuel cost coming down considerably?)
How worried should we be??? Anyone got the inside story?

Betwixt and Between
20th Dec 2008, 00:00
This below reported by the company to the stock exchange in November, doesn't seem to add up to layoffs, in fact quite the opposite, it is saying business is booming so the layoffs are consusing to say the least; 'The fact that our charter service is performing well is testament to the success of our ability to be an integral part of the Western Australian natural resources sector. We have a number of contracts with some of the World's largest miners, which has allowed us to expand our fleet and the scale of the operation.' As a consequence of the recently announced Rio Tinto contract that was awarded to the airline for the Perth/ West Angelas/ Barimunya charter service, the airline has increased the scale of its operations by hiring significant staff and deploying two additional aircraft. The up-scaling costs in the order of $5m for this significant contract (inclusive of aircraft, additional pilots, supporting labour and other costs) will be faced in the 1st half of the 2008/2009 financial year. However, the increased activity associated with this and the other charter contracts is extremely significant for the airline and the Company. Skywest's additional contracted revenues, consequential to the last three scheduled charter service contracts signed, in aggregate, amounts to an additional AUD$111m over 3 years and subject to client option exercise AUD$170m in revenues over 5 years.

mootyman
20th Dec 2008, 00:14
" As a consequence of the recently announced Rio Tinto contract that was awarded to the airline for the Perth/ West Angelas/ Barimunya charter service, the airline has increased the scale of its operations by hiring significant staff and deploying two additional aircraft."

Maybe management after hearing of Rio's yet to be fully disclosed staff cuts are just biding their time and putting the recruitment on hold for a while.

Smart idea I think.

topend3
20th Dec 2008, 00:25
i am surprised if they have laid off 30 staff. they seem to be very busy...

whats your source?

Betwixt and Between
20th Dec 2008, 00:45
The source of the information is the staff themself. A group were called into a 2 hour meeting without notice and advised they were being terminated effective immediately. The terminations were from several areas including cabin crew, admin, safety, crewing, operations. A notice has gone out to staff saying to effect that it is necessary to sacrafice some to save others. I have not seen the notice myself.

Monopole
20th Dec 2008, 02:28
No Flt crew have been 'put off'. A cabin crew ground school was cancelled, and the rest of the lay offs were admin.
I know a few more who have been given a heads up that their positions may not be available after christmas :(

RENURPP
20th Dec 2008, 02:46
Its a good time to consider the saying "the grass is always greener" more like "same **** different day."

outta track
20th Dec 2008, 04:35
I would not be at all suprised if the big mining companies dont start dusting off all the aviation FIFO contracts looking for the 'Force Majeure' clause........

Betwixt and Between
20th Dec 2008, 05:00
The cabin crew were already in line training, ground school completed - bit more than "ground school put off"

topend3
20th Dec 2008, 05:32
Skywest have been very quick to put most of their eggs in the charter basket at the expense of RPT and the renewal of their dinosaur fleet of F50's.

Cancelling the KGI-MEL service because they needed the aircraft on a mining charter for example.

They wont be protected on the turboprop routes forever either...

Xeptu
20th Dec 2008, 22:46
Route protection expires December 30th, word is both QF and VB want in over the Geraldton and Albany routes and it's looking like thats likely to happen. Rio Contract was tendered at cost and thats before Rio roll back half it's services next year. There's no good news for XR for 2009 at this stage and quite frankly that doesn't come as any surprise.

Word is M****r is in trouble too with a couple of contracts being pulled due to service reliability and on time performance.

Van Gough
21st Dec 2008, 00:33
VB want in over the Geraldton and Albany routes and it's looking like thats likely to happen.

Hmm..the E-jet or the F50...I wonder which one the pax will go for?:E

the wizard of auz
21st Dec 2008, 01:17
You will probably find they will buy the ticket regardless of what aircraft is waiting on the tarmac. in fact I cannot ever remember hearing anyone ask what aircraft will be flying the route while purchasing a ticket.
If they dont have a choice, because its a protected route, they would fly in C310's if that was what was waiting on the tarmac.

flyingfox
21st Dec 2008, 02:15
to the-wizard-of-auz. I don't think that comment is true about aircraft types, especially on shorter routes. The reason locals don't ask about the aircraft is because they already know. If the equipment isn't acceptable they will drive. My partner travels to Albany and prefers to drive. Check in time, travel time, baggage collection time, waiting time, noisy propellers and taxis make the air travel thought unattractive to her. I'll bet she is not alone in that thinking. Anyway, this isn't really the topic of this thread .........

RU/16
21st Dec 2008, 02:30
Skywest may get a reprieve if RIO palms off YANG and YBRY to BHP then the work would go back to NJS at a reasonable price instead of the win at all costs prices XR put into the market.
Will be an interesting year 09 in the WA FIFO market, bet there are not as many players this time next year!
Who will be the survivors?

topend3
21st Dec 2008, 02:31
Geraldton will surely get a jet service eventually but not sure about Albany. The runway there will require some $$$ to take E-Jets or similar and both ports would require some significant capex to introduce pax and baggage screening.

Betwixt and Between
21st Dec 2008, 04:04
Plus I believe alot of dollars thrown at the unviable A320 project won't be helping matters any

flyingfox
21st Dec 2008, 04:48
So is there a genuine problem at Skywest or just a bit of 'belt tightening'?
Everyone is being squeezed at present. As for NJS getting West Angelas or Barrimunya, I'd have thought Alliance would be the next choice on a costs basis.

Betwixt and Between
21st Dec 2008, 08:58
Im not sure of current staff numbers at XR but am guessing that 30 staff equals about 10% of the workforce, that is a big number in my view.
But, most intriguing I think, is that on 4 Dec the shareholders were advised that all is rosy and the company is under huge expansion, new aircraft etc and increased charters by some 112%.
To go from that 4 Dec announcement (see link to shareholder information on XR website) to only a week or so later laying off 30 staff (10%?) without notice does not stack up to just a bit of belt tightening.
I can not imagine how these two events - the shareholder good news advice followed quickly by the layoffs - can sit alongside eachother and make sense.

the wizard of auz
21st Dec 2008, 10:57
Will be an interesting year 09 in the WA FIFO market, bet there are not as many players this time next year!
Who will be the survivors?
Now theres an understatement. The rate the mines are closing down and laying off people around these parts, There will be no-one to fly in or out soon.

topend3
21st Dec 2008, 12:45
i think your post wiz smacks of not really having a handle on what is happening? how many mines are closing down? how many people are getting laid off?

the wizard of auz
21st Dec 2008, 14:13
Topend 3. mate I can assure you I do know what is going on in the mining industry. I live in the center of the goldfields and work in the industry. I know of five mines in my immediate vicinity that have closed and several more that have had drastic cuts in workforce due to suspension of mining operations. A lot of the companies in my area have interests in other areas of Australia.....and in fact the world. Most of the bigger mines in my area have stopped mining and are currently producing from stockpile. all nonessential contractors have been removed from site and it is effecting not only my own business, but every other business associated with the industry in every town in my district, and the next few over from my area as well. there are also many large companies around my parts,that their core business is supporting the mining industry, and they are effected to a larger degree. companies such as BHP, Brambles, Rio tinto, Jamisons, Boral, Sudexo, Mnt Gibson, Cape crushing, Hamptons, Minesite catering, BGC, St Barbras Etc are shedding jobs at an alarming rate.
I think Topend old mate, I am in touch with this situation better than you are or will be.

Little_Red_Hat
21st Dec 2008, 15:38
E-jets into ALH... the F100s have gone there on occasion, don't see why an E170 couldn't... they are a similar size are they not? or are we talking support equipment, navaids or other techno stuff here?

Continental-520
21st Dec 2008, 16:32
Part of the problem is the requirement for security screening equipment in the terminal that nobody wants to have to pay for.

I'm surprised you didn't know that, L.R.H....with your background, and all....

mince
21st Dec 2008, 23:09
At the bottom of the page full of posts about doom and gloom in the mining industry is an advert for jobs with Rio Tinto.

I'm not very smart but I know what ironing is....

ditzyboy
22nd Dec 2008, 00:28
Part of the problem is the requirement for security screening equipment in the terminal that nobody wants to have to pay for.

Continental 520 -

Correct me if I am wrong, however, there still remains jet flights from MCV and the like that are still not security screened. Is it still to do with capacity of the aircraft or engine vs prop? Or is each port assessed on its own merit regarding security requirements.

Little_Red_Hat
22nd Dec 2008, 00:57
Hence my question about 'support equipment'! Whether that be staff, screening, airstairs, lighting requirements, pavement concessions (as I wasn't exactly sure of the differences between the E170/190 and the F100 with regards to MTOW and so forth,...

my 'background'?? Well yes I am CC but that's why I asked the question... I know a bit about what goes on up the pointy end but not so up on the details as to know every screening req!!! :}

Maybe they need it in ALH with the amount of pointy/sharp objects I have managed to discover in possession of pax which were undeclared and/or unquestioned by check in staff. I suppose the 100 got around it by being a charter, don't recall having had any sort of screening there operating in and out on the jet. Has that requirement changed since 07, I don't keep up with regional ports any more... :cool:

As for your credentials 520 I don't doubt your knowledge of WA goings-on for a second... how's things going up the north end of ypph??? ;)

Continental-520
22nd Dec 2008, 01:04
ditzyboy,

It's to do with the seating capacity of a turbine engined aircraft operating an RPT service, the requirement comes in at around 60 seats I think, but not 100% sure. It's not my department, so I'm not a full bottle on it.

L.R.H.,

I realised you asked the question because you weren't sure. But that in itself surprises me given your background in the industry, especially with particular reference to the company in question on this particular thread, since they operated the jet equipment on both charter and RPT ops and continue to do so (until they go broke, anyway!) ;)

I'm not sure how things are going in the northern end of YPPH, I haven't worked there for quite some time. Guess again!

520. :ok:

barrybeebone
22nd Dec 2008, 01:42
With all the mines shutting down and the reduced charter work that everyone is talking about...you have to wonder about the impact on Perth Airport also. SkyWest is just the beginning

topend3
22nd Dec 2008, 02:30
screening has nothing to do with seating pax.

jet charter is not required to be screened.
turborprop rpt is not required to be screened
jet rpt is required to be screened

Continental-520
22nd Dec 2008, 07:24
So the F100 previously going to ALH must've been 'charter', in that case. Can't see Virgin paying for security screening infrastructure, but you never know....

Little_Red_Hat
22nd Dec 2008, 07:44
Thanks for the clarification. See I was asking because there I was pretty sure that jet charter still had to be screened over X amount of seats, seeing as I haven't been required to keep up with that info for quite some time, I mainly asked because I know how many changes have happened in the last little while and wanted to be sure I had the correct info.

Yes, F100s to ALH and places down that way were always charter... quite 'interesting' too on some occasions I might add!!!! :E

520, sorry, I was confusing ya with someone else, I've got the nicknames straight now :}

ditzyboy
22nd Dec 2008, 08:04
topend3 -

Why do TL pax from MCV on the E70 ALWAYS disembark into the non-sterile area at DRW? I always assumed it was due to nil screening in MCV.

Apologies for the thread drift!

Icarus2001
22nd Dec 2008, 08:31
Wizard...I live in the center of the goldfields and work in the industry. I know of five mines in my immediate vicinity that have closed Could you name the mines and/or their operators please?

Any truth to the rumour that the Skywest CP/MFO has either resigned or been sacked?

The "new" contracts that SW won this year at the expense of NJS were negotiated by HD who was ex NJS and previously SW! The contract rates are VERY low and little money will be made on the contracts. They are simply a vehicle to allow expansion which brings with it economies of scale. Now they have the contracts locked in, Singapore management want to see a return on their investment...and guess what....it is looking pretty low.

topend3
22nd Dec 2008, 10:05
yeah wiz i would like to know specifically what all these mines are called that are closing, as i think you are not really sure, sounds more like hype to me.

up here in the pilbara no mines are closing, there have been some production cuts and some contractor lay-offs.

ditzyboy, i wouldn't think airnorth screen the E70 ex MCV, hence pax can arrive into non-sterile area. If they were to disembark into the first floor arrivals area then yes they would have to be screened.

of course, turboprop RPT and jet charter still would have to be screened if they were to depart within the operational period of an RPT jet service, which is where it can get complicated...in Perth all of Skywest's F50 services are screened even though they are technically not required to...and this does not take place in any of their "outports"

the wizard of auz
22nd Dec 2008, 12:35
don't you read the newspapers?. do a little research. so when I name the mines will you humbly beg forgiveness for doubting me? :ugh::rolleyes:
Mate, your in Karratha.... you deal with Iron ore mines. Down here we have zinc, Gold, Nickle, Vanadium and other types of mines. Look at the resources and base metals prices lately. have a think before opening your yap.

I will put together a list for you. I will even try to gather some number of jobs that have been made redundant. I will of course research it before I publish it here to lessen the chance of me making any mistakes for you to further doubt what I'm telling you.
how you can form your opinion on how I "sound" has me wondering. :rolleyes::hmm:

Betwixt and Between
22nd Dec 2008, 17:23
Going back to the original thread though - I don't know that any of these mines mentioned are serviced by Skywest? In any case, the Skywest report of 4 Dec - just a little over 2 weeks ago, is that that they are continuing to win business, expand services and add aircraft so I do not believe that what we are dealing with is a mining industry down turn.

pianokeys
22nd Dec 2008, 20:09
Well it sounds like it has all come home to roost, HD has a habit of discounting below cost to get the bussiness as he did at NJS. It is easy to get contracts by discounting.
The big issue here is that its the staff who have given good service and worked hard for the company dont have jobs while the owners, directors and senor management keep jobs and in some cases get large increases in salaries and benfits. The chop needs to start at the top.

Betwixt and Between
22nd Dec 2008, 23:22
I reckon Icarus and Pianokeys have hit the nail on the head - and yes if so, it is history repeating itself because under the same management now at XR, NJS reportedly had the very same issues of business won at any cost - and not so much as breaking even (DRW NJS retraction from contracts, PER - ?. Consider the TEF business won from NJS but XR unable to crew due to different crewing limitations - this meant they have to dead head aircraft at their own cost between TEF and BME to crew change - must add up to big dollars over the year. Much pressure was placed on crewing people to find the extra crews and just make it happen, whatever it took.
The mix of unprofitable charter work, A320 dollars burnt, excess staff, reduced RPT pax numbers, ageing aircaft, a few failed routes such as KGI MEL, must surely be a toxic one.
Geoff Thomas: has done much recent extremely positive reporting of Skywest when all looks "stellar" at Skywest - what about some investigative journalism now followed by a media article about what is happening?

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
23rd Dec 2008, 08:01
I heard the new CP was at the top of the list, I guess there's no point paying someone big dollars to be the Airbus CP when there is no Airbus.

It will be interesting to see how many will apply for the CP Airbus position next time, hope he/she has another job lined up, certainly not a pre-christmas feel good story.

Mach E Avelli
23rd Dec 2008, 09:57
It's not so easy to waste a CP and hold on to the AOC. Another CP already lined up, complete with CASA approvals in place, perhaps?

Dog One
23rd Dec 2008, 22:28
Understand Airnorth's MCV run is RPT, and that there is full screening at MCV. I have seen the flights terminate in Darwin on the aero bridges. There is no un-sterile areas at the terminal in Darwin

ditzyboy
24th Dec 2008, 09:31
Dog One -

Gate 6 on the ground floor has been used, in the past, for arrivals from non-screening ports. Departures too, but that may have changed.

While I have seen MCV RPT depart from the sterile area (upstairs) I have never seen it arrive there (Gate 6 only). Thus, leading me to believe MCV did not have screening.

Fred Gassit
24th Dec 2008, 09:48
When I last saw my family (miners for generations) about 3 weeks ago, 3 of them had been recently laid off. At that point there were 500 redundancies in the goldfields, mostly from Nickel juniors.
If that upsets some folks view of reality then ignore it. At least you will be genuinely surprised when it affects you directly, which it may well soon enough.

Dog One
24th Dec 2008, 23:29
DB, you are right, brain fade on my part. Qlink park on bays 6, 7, 8 and put there pax through gate 6. pax are screened at Gove. I would suggest that if you come from an unscreened port ie Elcho Is, pax would have to be put through gate 6, whereas, from a screened point you can put pax into the screened part of the terminal

RU/16
30th Dec 2008, 00:27
Read in the local rag that RIO has suspended Pilbara production of iron ore for 2 weeks over Christmas.
Hows this affecting the operations of this contract at Skywest?

Engineer_aus
30th Dec 2008, 05:15
A lot of aircraft parked up at Perth Airport!

Skystar320
30th Dec 2008, 08:27
Nah Duh!!!!!!!!! Come on Engineer read your post again and see what I mean :confused::confused::confused:

Icarus2001
1st Jan 2009, 01:02
So who is the CP or MFO now?

RU/16
2nd Jan 2009, 08:40
Skywest have up to 4 F100s on the grnd perth and yet I see one of the other F100 operators doing the Telfer run???????????
What are the Skwest boys and girls doing, having a break?
Or is it cheaper to get someone else to do your work?
:confused:

Engineer_aus
3rd Jan 2009, 23:40
2 F100's are leaving the country soon.

ROH111
4th Jan 2009, 01:47
As in 2 x XR F100's? Or just two random F100's?!

I hear rumours that meals for the crew's and pax are being cut back/reduced? Anyone got any news there?

five dogs
4th Jan 2009, 02:13
So where is the TWU and their fantastic union collective agreement in all this? :ooh:

flyingfox
4th Jan 2009, 03:02
Look what the cat dragged in. Give up on this thread now fellas. The dogs are on to it.

Monopole
4th Jan 2009, 03:47
hear rumours that meals for the crew's and pax are being cut back/reducedThe crew get paid an allowance. Have done for a long time. Sure they may eat any extra pax meals, but now is no better time to realize that you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Mach E Avelli
4th Jan 2009, 07:13
And shame on CASA for permitting any arrangement that does not ensure that crews have adequate sustenance according to the time of duty etc.
Even if you gave some pilots $100 per meal they would never bring a meal to work. Oh, the cost of it, the inconvenience, how degrading to carry a lunchbox.......Some guys I have flown with would keep every cent of their allowances and scrounge whatever they could from the galley. Which in the case of low cost operators is very slim pickings.
Some pilots seem to have no concept of good living. I knew one guy used to nick the left-over sandwiches, take them home and put them in the deep freeze. Afternoon tea at his place was definitely something to be missed.
IMHO the operator should be REQUIRED to feed crews on duty over normal meal hours, and decent tucker at that. Doesn't have to be gourmet, but it should at least be healthy. Allowances should be for when on the ground on overnights, not for in flight when the pilot can not buy anything.

Betwixt and Between
4th Jan 2009, 09:46
I do know that in this case, the company preference is to provide meals, however, the pilots strongly rejected this option at each T&C negotiation in lieu of recieving an allowance. It has been a bit of a sore point for company,- ie, receiving allowance AND meal in flight (granted, "if stocks allow"), seen as double dipping.

Icarus2001
4th Jan 2009, 10:24
Mate, forget the sandwiches, dust off that CV and start posting it around. There are going to be some broken hearts very shortly.

Checkerboard
5th Jan 2009, 01:20
Engineer Aus- Care to elaborate? Will they be XR F100's? Is your info from a credible source or just another rumour?

Skystar320
5th Jan 2009, 01:34
Begs to differ it might be a rumour with no credible source?

Monopole
5th Jan 2009, 02:26
I've heard conflicting stories re the 2 departinfg F100s. ALL from inside the company. Seems not even XR knows whats going on.

As for the meals, of course the company would prefer to supply some grub. It would probably cost them somewhere between 5 and 10 bucks a meal as opposed to the much higher allowance dictated by the ATO. I too would prefer the allowance. At least I could buy something decent.

Engineer_aus
6th Jan 2009, 13:39
From a very good person actually Mr A320.

topend3
6th Jan 2009, 21:14
its all a restructure...

Retirements fuel Skywest layoffs
Monday, 15 December 2008
Western Australian regional carrier Skywest Airlines has restructured operations, resulting in the loss of 19 staff.
Group chief operating officer Mike Hoar said the retrenchments were part of normal operations.

"No company likes letting go of staff, particularly at this time of the year, but it's a tough market," said Hoar.

"Fortunately, many of the redundancies were due to early retirements and natural attrition." He said the decision was made some time ago and was not influenced by the news that mining giant Rio Tinto was also planning to cut its workforce. Skywest recently won the contract to transport workers to Rio's mine sites in Western Australia using Fokker 100 aircraft.

Hoar said the carrier was fortunate in having a good mix of RPT (regular passenger transport) and charter work which would continue to operate as scheduled. Skywest had no plans for new routes but was looking for opportunities to expand the network.

Betwixt and Between
6th Jan 2009, 21:20
That media realease is blatantly not true!! Does not at all align with what staff were told and how the terminations were handled.
Shocking! Unebelievable! And why is it Mike Hoar signed off and not CEO or MD?

jack red
6th Jan 2009, 21:52
And why is it Mike Hoar signed off and not CEO or MD?

Why would the CEO or MD be bothered with a press statement concerning staff reductions due to retirements and natural attrition?

Hardly very newsworthy if you ask me!

Skystar320
6th Jan 2009, 21:58
ahhhh so those FK100's are going for heavy checks?

Wombat
7th Jan 2009, 02:37
Betwixt and between

You seem to have something against Skywest.
While no one likes to see layoff's, it is going to be a very tough year not just for skywest but also all the other operators at Perth due to the mines contracting. So maybe their management are making some sound but very hard decisions to ensure a future. Lets just hope skywest and all the other operators wont have to let any more people go. Remember we are all in this industry together. Just my 2 cents worth.

Wombat

Betwixt and Between
7th Jan 2009, 03:21
I just know that there are quite a few staff suffering the shock of a surprise termination, immediately before christmas - and to now play it down as if it is a matter of course and normal business is just disrespectful and a slap in the face. How about the Chief Pilot, who moved from Asia to take up the position - is this "normal attrition"? Or is he a voluntary early retiree?
The cabin crew trainees, several moved themselves across to WA from east coast, to be terminated without notice. Many staff extremely peeved that voluntary redundancies or part time options were not called for first, so that some staff may have been saved.
This is just not playing fair!
I question why Mike Hoar because every other release goes out under name of CEO or MD - why don't they also put their name to this piece of news???
Wake up!!

Xeptu
7th Jan 2009, 04:33
Why would the CEO or MD be bothered with a press statement concerning staff reductions due to retirements and natural attrition?

Because thats his Job. There is no such thing as redundancies due to natural attrition and retirement, they are all very separate and individual entities.

I'm guessing with the loss of two F100's the next round of redundancies will be quite significant.

We'll know soon enough.

Betwixt and Between
7th Jan 2009, 06:02
Xeptu makes a very good point.
"Natural attrition" means resignations or retirements that are not replaced, thereby reducing overall staff numbers. This is good business in tough times and relatively painless to staff.
Retirement is retirement - I think that is pretty clear, and nothing at all to do with terminations or redundancies.
In this case, a whole bunch of people (30 was the number touted by those close to the action, not 19 but either way it is a big number) were terminated without notice. This event in no way resembles "natural attrition" or "retirement"! To claim this is normal business and was planned is just simply a nonense! If it was planned, why did they continue to hire new staff right up to a week before the redundancies? Why did a new ground school go through just weeks prior? Why did they continue to tout how well the company is going with winning new business (shareholder releases - growth, growth, growth). They appear to have significantly over hired and have too many aircraft (?) and seem to have to reduce the buisiness size.
Apologies for the bit of passion in my last posts - I was flat out gobsmacked when I read that press release!~

XRlent100
7th Jan 2009, 11:26
Betwixt,

Your not one of those people made redundant are you?

topend3
7th Jan 2009, 12:11
even if they do lose 2 x F100's as some suggest they are going to they will still have 6 in the fleet which is fairly good going considering 5 years ago they had 1.

also there has been nothing official to indicate any of their existing contracts have been lost or are in danger of going that way.

Little_Red_Hat
7th Jan 2009, 12:23
Betwixt, you beat me to it.

due to retirements and natural attrition?

So that is what they call sacking an entire ground school right after their CTL...? Lovely.

XRlent, so what if s/he was? I would be pretty damn peeved if I'd been laid off with no notice and then the management had the gall to turn around and say it was 'natural attrition' and 'retirement'- I can guarantee you that not one of those poor new-hires wanted to go anywhere! Especially after they upped and left the eastern states at their own expense.

Yes it's a sucky economic situation at the moment but they could have shown a bit more respect to the people they just Sh!t on...

I feel sorry for MH, he was one of a few decent ones left, he's had his name put to that crap when we all know whre it came from... seems like now it's get business done like some other operators we know of in Perth renowned for lack of people skills...

Now if XR were to turn aorund and hire in a few months time when they realise they need those staff again, would the recently-terminated have any legal recourse to those jobs back?? Not that they'd want to go back probably...

Betwixt and Between
7th Jan 2009, 12:28
XRlent - in answer to your question, no I am not, and I'm not sure the relevence to the discussion if I was in any case. Colleagues and friends are amongst those that have been terminated, and that is enough to pique my concern and to cause me to be looking for answers.
Why do you ask - are you one of the people that is selecting staff for redundancies? (said tounge in cheek).
I don't believe pprune requires one to reveal their identity, so lets both refrain from asking these type of questions.
Perhaps this thread has reached its natural close. In the absence of any further information, the choice is to accept the "natural attrition" and "retirement" explanation as the answer to the original question of this thread, hope for the best and move on with faith in our leaders.

XRlent100
8th Jan 2009, 00:47
Those F/A's that were terminated have been told they will be offered positions in the next ground school. In the meantime the F/A manager came in to find these eastern staters positions elsewhere until the next ground school.

Betwixt, the reason I ask is that it seems to be getting personal for you.

pianokeys
8th Jan 2009, 02:18
Betwixt and Between Iam with you on this. The Board and management of this company have been very aggressive in the market place over the past 18 months undercutting to get contracts and as I said in my previous post. It is easy to do this when times are good. It all comes home when the going gets hard. and its those at bottom who suffer. I feel sorry for those who have committed to this company and lost jobs just before Christmas. Those at the top need to take a good look at themseves.

RENURPP
8th Jan 2009, 02:43
I am not employed by SkyWest!

Of course its a poor show if it happened as Betwixt and Between suggests.
Whether he is directly affected or not is irrelevant.
It should be commented on whether it is SkyWest or any other employer. I bet if were any other two bit operater you would all be on here adding your two cents.

I don’t really understand why they would be recruiting from the eastern states?

Why would some one from the real world chose to move to WA anyway? :oh:

R.Cruizo
8th Jan 2009, 04:41
ROH 111 makes a very valid point. Is it 2 XR F100's being handed back or two other F100's?

Until just recently Skywest were allegedly still short on A/C and crews with their 8. It would appear odd they were downsizing their fleet with extra work.

Little_Red_Hat
9th Jan 2009, 09:40
How about keeping those grounded CC on as ground staff in the meantime til anothe g/s goes through... god knows they need 'em in the mornings when it gets busy... even as ramp runners for the a/c paperwork as it seem Aerocare still love running short of staff even during peak periods...

And what are they supposed to do, go get another job and then just drop it when XR tell them to? I wouldn't be so trusting the next time round either, in fact I'd be tempted to tel them what to do with their job!! :E

As said, if it was Skippers or NJS who did this, the posters would be in an uproar! It just seems very badly done for a company who likes to make themselvesseem to be a 'leader' in WA!

Engineer_aus
12th Jan 2009, 01:54
3 AME's got the sack the other day
FNJ, FNT, FNY have all been parked up and Skywest told not to touch them as they didn't pay the lease on them. They chose to pay the staff than the leases on the aircraft. Certainly interesting times ahead. Either way you look at it, its not good at all. I counted 6 F100's on the ground and 3 F50's doing nothing on a sunday compared to QFLink and others flying all their aircraft.

muII
12th Jan 2009, 04:46
Come on guys, enough of this rubbish.

If you stand out the front of T2 on most mornings, and most afternoon's you will see all of xr's 8 F100's and 1 x hire departing, this has not changed.

Sundays they only fly on RPT, not too much FIFO stuff.

The guy who owns the lease company, also owns xr.

With regard to aircraft or techcrew, please only report on the facts.

Checkerboard
12th Jan 2009, 07:11
Engineer Aus-Not sure where you get your facts but they are wrong! Those 3 a/c you mentioned all flew today! Sunday is a quiet day!

topend3
12th Jan 2009, 07:48
yes, people like engineer aus would do well to report on the facts. IF these aircraft were flying and they are now parked, you should enlighten us on which of the jet contracts have been lost?

jets going into exmouth now. jets going into kalgoorlie on the RPT runs. jets into argyle, broome, karratha, kununurra, barimunya, telfer, west ang. cloud break etc. jets still going into all of these places so what has been lost to prevent all of this flying and these jets being parked up?

perhaps more likely a quiet day like the previous posters suggested and not much charter flying. until we hear officially of a raft of contract losses i cant see how much will change...

XRlent100
12th Jan 2009, 10:38
Eng Aus,

Alliance had 2 x F100 siting on the ground all weekend.
Network had 3 x F100 sitting on the ground all weekend PLUS 6 x EMB120
Skippers had god knows how many EMB120's and Dash8's sitting on the ground all weekend.
National Jet had how many 146's sitting on the ground all weekend.

I don't think Skywest are any different from anyone else.......:ugh:

MattSco
12th Jan 2009, 10:44
Not sure if it's significant or not, but the Skywest AOC has gone 'provisional' and can't be accessed on the CASA website:confused:

Engineer_aus
13th Jan 2009, 01:36
I am getting my info from people at XR. I am merely transposing it on here. As for Skippers they do a bit of flying over the weekend as NJS. Alliance fly one of the F100's for QFLink, and Network don't fly at all.

higherplane
13th Jan 2009, 04:44
Engineer_aus

Just a hint mate, you might not want to beleive everything those fellows are telling you from now on, cause they are taking the piss and you're falling for it.

Ref + 10
13th Jan 2009, 22:09
I heard that Mike Hoar was let go last Friday.

Any truth to the rumour?

flyingfox
14th Jan 2009, 04:07
If Mike Hoar was to leave, it would be because he didn't want to issue anymore crap press releases. He must have been tortured into that last effort!

Icarus2001
14th Jan 2009, 05:22
The guy who owns the lease company, also owns xr.

I don't think so my friend. From their website...

Skywest is an Australian company whose ultimate holding company is Skywest Ailrines Ltd (formerly known as Advent Air Ltd).

Skywest Airlines Ltd is a mostly Australian owned company, with its shares listed on the
AIM Market of the London Stock Exchange.

For information on Skywest Airlines Ltd please visit Welcome to Skywest Airlines Ltd - owner and operator of the Skywest airline (http://www.skywest.com.sg/)

muII
14th Jan 2009, 06:13
I think you need to do some more research.

Jeff Chatfield is the Ex Chairman of Skywest Airlines.

The F100's are owned by Capital Lease Aviation, F100 Pty Ltd and Avation PLC, of which Jeff Chatfield is the Ex Chairman.

The F50's are owned by Skywest.

I would say then that Jeff has got the lot.

Icarus2001
14th Jan 2009, 07:52
The lot. Other than all the shares on the open market.:eek:

Rotaiva
14th Jan 2009, 08:15
I think you will find that what he is trying to say is that Chatfield is the majority (hence controlling) shareholder in both companies!

muII
14th Jan 2009, 10:22
Not totaly correct,

The global miner on Wednesday said an underground expansion would be "slowed to only critical development activities", resulting in a reduction in the workforce and demobilisation of contractors.
"Given global market conditions, we will also reduce diamond production by taking an extended maintenance shutdown of the diamond processing facilities for up to three months, commencing in March," Argyle Diamonds chief operating officer Kevin McLeish said in a statement.

MattSco
15th Jan 2009, 10:28
I heard that Mike Hoar was let go last Friday.

Any truth to the rumour?

More layoffs this week, MH is confirmed as one of them. Some VR's in engineering.

Lets hope thats the last of it....

Betwixt and Between
16th Jan 2009, 04:28
I am able to confirm Mike Hoar has been terminated with immediate effect. Sales and Marketing Manager has also been given notice. I am told there are several dozen more either underway or scheduled to take place soon - this is unconfirmed.

OverRun
16th Jan 2009, 05:48
Some good news on the Skywest front. An earlier post raised the issue:
Not sure if it's significant or not, but the Skywest AOC has gone 'provisional' and can't be accessed on the CASA website. I have just talked to CASA, and have just received a copy of the Skywest AOC. It is all in order and valid. The problem was due to the CASA website link and there was nothing sinister.

Also, the Skywest traffic seems to be reasonable:
LONDON (SHARECAST) - Western Australian airline Skywest saw its charter services more than double in December, but carried fewer passengers on its standard airline services.
Chartered airline services, which includes flying mine workers to and from work, climbed by 112.4%.
However, passengers carried fell from 30,000 in December 2007 to 26,000.
Revenue passenger kilometres, calculated by multiplying the number of paying customers by the distance flown, climbed to 22,071 from 21,531.

I reckon the drop in airline passengers of 13% is not too much different to the drop being seen on quite a few routes. Not good news, but not out of the ordinary for these difficult times.

Betwixt and Between
16th Jan 2009, 08:05
Overrun: that is my original point. Why are they reporting stellar results, 112% increase in charter, yet laying off staff in great numbers. It simply does not add up. Something fishy is going on - either there was a big screw and more people than necesasry were hired, or, the reported massive increase in activity is either not correct or not making money.

Xeptu
16th Jan 2009, 09:40
Lets hope thats the last of it....

Well it's not. In fact it hasn't even started yet. The period March to July is the most critical, if it lives beyond July it's in with a chance albeit a slim one.

gocat
16th Jan 2009, 14:59
"Lets hope thats the last of it.... Well it's not. In fact it hasn't even started yet. The period March to July is the most critical, if it lives beyond July it's in with a chance albeit a slim one. "

Xeptu..
What makes you such an expert? unless you are Skywest management you know absolutely nothing about what is going on at Skywest. There are a lot of peoples lives and careers at risk at the moment. Unless you know more than the employees, keep your comments to yourself until you know some factual evidence.

By the way, the 2 F100's that are "apparently" leaving are going to Singapore for "c" checks

topend3
16th Jan 2009, 21:28
it's not all bad news :D

Media Release 2009-01-16

16 January 2009

MEDIA RELEASE

Skywest leads the pack for On Time Performance in November

Skywest, Western Australia’s largest regional airline is the frontrunner for punctuality for the month of November, achieving an On Time Performance significantly higher than any other airline in the nation.

Results published by the BTRE (Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics) show Skywest’s November on Time Departures at 87.2% and On Time Arrivals at 85.5% for the month, compared to the national average of 78.5% for departures and 75.9% for arrivals.

“Skywest has always been committed to its on time performance and has worked hard to improve it. Faced with many operational challenges at times, it is rewarding to see that we can achieve national best.” said Skywest CEO, Mr Paul Daff.

-END OF MEDIA RELEASE-

Skystar320
16th Jan 2009, 22:08
By the way, the 2 F100's that are "apparently" leaving are going to Singapore for "c" checks

Oh I was so right before!!!!

I just think Betwixt and Between, has a serious bee in his bonet!

RENURPP
16th Jan 2009, 22:33
There must be something in the water over there. You WA people really are in insular self centred bunch.

Love criticizing the opposition yet you just about have kittens when the spot light is directed at your place of employment.

Who really cares what some one says on here?
It won't change the outcome for goodness sake.
One would think from there actions that whatever is posted as rumour on here is bound to become reality unless you can shout him down and bag the company they work for.
You know what I think? You probably don't care but neither do I.

Most businesses will go through a tough time this year.
SkyWest is no better and no worse than most of its opposition. The conditions are so close to the other operators that WHO CARES. Its the individual in charge at the time that makes the difference NOT THE COMPANY NAME.
Some stuff posted on here is true, and a fair percentage is crew room crap that some mentally deficient moron believed and had to tell the world about.

Get over it.

Its all rumour!! :eek:

Sky West departed on time last month, wow, that should be on the news headlines. About as legitmate as the airline awards we hear about. :yuk:

Betwixt and Between
16th Jan 2009, 23:36
Skystar accuses me of having a "bee in my bonnett", well I am hear to tell you "yes I have"! My friends and colleagues are being laid off in big numbers on teh one hand, and on the other hand we are being told via press release that everything is fabulous and we are winning all the big contracts. It does not make sense - hence, very big bee in bonnett.
I don't know anything about aircraft going back and have therefore not commented on this, what I do know about is big numbers of staff being laid off with explanations for this not ringing true.

mostlytossas
17th Jan 2009, 02:12
Don't know about individual companies BUT the down turn will affect domestic airlines in WA and Qld and to a lesser extent NT more than elsewhere. Why? Because they are the states with the bulk of the FIFO mines and as they slow or close until the world demand returns the airlines doing these contracts will have no choice but to reduce services, plus the normal RPT will also contract due to less $'s in the general economy.
This is bound to cause redundancies as companies try to stay solvent and not go under. However don't think your all a special case because the same thing will happen in just about all industries. It is just that tourism, mining, travel are usually the first casualties. Ask anyone who was around in the late 80's after the last stockmarket crash.

Capt Claret
17th Jan 2009, 02:38
And, IMHO, the situation will be exacerbated by the albatross of security, where probably billions are spent and passed onto the pax. Now there'll be less pax, so the cost per pax will increase, so the fare will go up, so less pax will travel. And so on. :ugh:

JetRacer
17th Jan 2009, 02:42
Skywest leads the pack for On Time Performance in November

So they should, with

passengers carried fell from 30,000 in December 2007 to 26,000

:eek::{

cunninglinguist
17th Jan 2009, 02:45
Njs/qlink used to have better than 90% ontime departures..........and then came ACARS. No more " call that on time shall we ". So I would take XRs OTD with a grain of salt. ( if XR has ACARS , I take that back :rolleyes: )

Hoofharted
17th Jan 2009, 06:37
With a total of about 2 little puddle jumpers they should be on time. Does that also include the departures done for skywest by other operators? On the other hand, who gives a "flying fvck", on the scale of worldwide ops XR would rate a ?? :}

pianokeys
17th Jan 2009, 06:50
30000 to 26000 passengers reduction on scheduled services December 2007 to 2008 is around half a mil less income for one month.
Then take the discounting of mining contracts to get the contract and mines cutting back which will result in less flights which Sky West have have geared up for with equipment and staff.
They now face a loss in profit and who is the blame for this.
Not the staff the Board and Senior Management.
Granted the current economic situation was un forseen
However discounting to get a contract is easy you need to insure in this bussiness you can keep it up when the times get tough.
The mining industry has always had highs and lows and we are now in a low or moving into a low.
We will now see who survives lets hope Sky West can survive this for all those good staff.

outback aviator
17th Jan 2009, 07:38
Hear,hear!

The Green Goblin
17th Jan 2009, 12:32
If Skywest can become a pheonix out of the Ansett ashes, I'm sure a little hiccup in the world economy will be overcome in one way or another. There are some talented people in the company which truly rang through those few short years ago.

MattSco
18th Jan 2009, 03:24
If Skywest can become a pheonix out of the Ansett ashes, I'm sure a little hiccup in the world economy will be overcome in one way or another. There are some talented people in the company which truly rang through those few short years ago

Very true...not to mention a healthy dose of state tax payer assistance.

The Green Goblin
18th Jan 2009, 04:03
If it were me at the helm of Skywest though, i'd be using this opportunity to start modernizing the fleet. I'd imagine the manufacturers would be doing a few fire sales right now to keep the lines moving. Q300/400s to replace the Fokkers would be a good insurance policy if the red tails start trying to get in on Gerro/Albany. I'd imagine the punters would much prefer the Dash's with an APU and ACM running in the summer than a sweltering dark '50 (although they are nice to fly in I must admit once the bleed air is on :D) E170/190s would be nice and leave the 100's for mining charter or cross hire them to Skippers to stand toe to toe with Network and Alliance :} Even finally securing the hugely anticipated A320s could be a winner with Airbus keen to keep 'em moving out the door! (filling them may be an issue though!)

mostlytossas
18th Jan 2009, 06:13
Me thinks just as well you don't run an airline. With falling revenues from empty aircraft the last thing any business wants is more/new debt. Regardless of any fire sale you still have to pay for it. Try buying a new car on half salary to test your theory.

Hasherucf
18th Jan 2009, 06:31
Any truth to the rumour that Skywest pilots held a meeting this weekend ? If so what was that all about

The Green Goblin
18th Jan 2009, 07:59
Yeah but thats why pilots don't run airlines, Else there would be lots of toys to play with, but no money to use them :ok:

At least the pilots would be earning more money than management (like it used to be :D)

Green gorilla
18th Jan 2009, 08:41
Yes they did have a meeting today.

Dr.Dollars
20th Jan 2009, 02:28
Is that Ar##hole MT still there??? The one with big nose?

muII
20th Jan 2009, 05:01
No thank god, left under a cloud a few years back iam told.:D

RU/16
20th Jan 2009, 09:50
desperate times at XR!

XRlent100
20th Jan 2009, 10:47
RU/16,

"desperate times at XR" what's that supposed to mean?

Being a NJS T&C expert maybe you can tell me if they are getting desperate.

Ravensthorpe on the brink of being closed
Murrin Murrin suffering huge losses and maybe closing.
Skyairworld picking up the Christmas / Cocos Contract (source PPRUNE)

They would have to be more desperate than Skywest.

The downturn is affecting everyone. Luckily Skywest are responding actively to ensure their survival in the future. Time will tell.

Wombat
20th Jan 2009, 13:43
There was an article in today's West about the possible closure of Ravensthorpe mine.

Could also be some tough times ahead for NJS as well.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
20th Jan 2009, 13:58
Dunno who services YNWN these days, but,

Rumoured on today's news that BHP may be 'downsizing' the Mt Whaleback mine ops at Newman.....

No mention of numbers as yet. Just a rumour......:(

A1BUGSMASHER
20th Jan 2009, 21:05
XR

Don't know where your info on Murrin is coming from, positive article on them in the West yesterday and their share price was up 6%.

Ravensthorpe is anyones guess and time will tell with Christmas and Cocos. As someone looking from the outside it seems SkyWest is in worst shape than NJS as:
- Market cap down to $9M pounds last time I checked.
- RPT loads have dereased by 25-30% on the same period last year
- Marginally costed assets used to win mining work based on RPT operations underpinning the business model. With reduced RPT loads I am told from a reliable XR source that many on the recently won contracts are now not evan break even.
- Catering removed or reduced on RPT flights, great for their customer loyalty, especially with Virgin rumoured to be looking at Albany and Geraldton with E-Jets come the revolution when the state government remove the protection SkyWest currently enjoy.
- Skywest laying off staff hand over fist after being the company who won all major resource contract last year.
- NJS lost RIO, no redundencies, has to be a positive for current and future employee's as it suggests that even with people's views on their management, they are looking after the greater good.
- Reading the SkyWest annual report they have inexcess of $17M of 'Good Will'..... Which anyone with any financial knowledge know's is worthless and banks will not even look at it when they come to needing to refianance their overdraft/credit facilities.
- SkyWest have industrial issues with their pilots coming over pay and T&C's (of which I'm sure your aware).
- Heard yesterday also that employee's normally paid yesterday had nothing added to their account and that SkyWest was later blaming problems with the bank (can you confirm this?)
- NJS have several years to run with QANTAS B717 contract, have AAE contracts, Customs contract to 2020 and a parent company with a market cap of $2.5-2.8Billon Pounds.

I hope for the sake of those working for SkyWest that they pull through. With HD in charge and looking after number 1 (hence the sudden departure of MH), time will tell. That reminds me, where is that journo who wrote all the glowing articles on SkyWest last year?.... Now how did that article start.... 'The Emirates like rise of SkyWest':D

ROH111
20th Jan 2009, 21:14
NJS is like a parking inspector.

None likes them, but they are around.

RU/16
20th Jan 2009, 21:55
Didnt even see my lips move!
Thanks A1bugsmasher.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
21st Jan 2009, 00:23
From Radio 6PR this morning,

Ravensthorpe shutting down WEF this morning.

'Suspended Ops' and 'Rampdowns' were some of the terms told to contractors. (Allegedly).

The overall effect is that there will be 'numerous' flights to/from today to uplift contractors / staff, rooms to be emptied and tidied, excess staff and personal effects to follow on trucks later today. :(

Icarus2001
21st Jan 2009, 01:35
...and so the nonsense begins.

They are going into shutdown in June 2009 for an indefinate period.

Mt Keith also reducing numbers, how will that affect Alliance?

Skystar320
21st Jan 2009, 03:14
This really doesnt affect skywest....

Raventhorpe = NJS
Mount Kieth -= Alliance

topend3
21st Jan 2009, 03:20
Dunno who services YNWN these days, but,

QF service YNWN and DJ (McMahon)

Jose Cuervo
21st Jan 2009, 03:37
I can confirm from a source inside that employees have been paid and indeed it was a banking "glitch".

It happens at most companies from time to time.

aussie027
21st Jan 2009, 03:54
A little bird just told me from his sources in the gold mining sector that the word is Rio Tinto owes Skywest a very large sum of money for services rendered and has not paid their bill which is putting considerable financial pressure on the airline.:uhoh::=
This may be contributing to the recent layoffs and turmoil being spoken of in this thread.

mostlytossas
21st Jan 2009, 04:53
Well that's gratitude for you MUII and Dr Dollars, if the chap you are referring to is who I think he is. Was he not your union rep in the dark days following the Ansett collapse? Did he not ( along with others) help get Skywest up and running again?

muII
21st Jan 2009, 05:35
Was he not your union rep in the dark days following the Ansett collapse? Did he not ( along with others) help get Skywest up and running again?

It sounds like you are saying i work for xr, sorry not true.:= but i have got the word, he was a rep at one stage but when AN went down the tube.

pianokeys
21st Jan 2009, 06:31
A1Bugsmasher

I concur with your post and Believe NJS is better palced to ride out difficult times. Possibly with some cut backs.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
21st Jan 2009, 06:51
Thanks 'Skystar'.....didn't mean to drift the thread.

Sorry Icarus - happened today. Talk back radio in Perth full of it.
6PR.com.au on the web.......

Cheers:ok:

mostlytossas
21st Jan 2009, 07:43
So MUII you do not work for Skywest yet you are quite happy to cheer and allege that someone left under a cloud. You therefore have to be a complete ignoramus and moron.:ugh:

The Green Goblin
21st Jan 2009, 07:55
Everyone is so full of it on here, I mean really!

Lets have a look!

Skywest - going broke cause of getting rid of 30 hosties who had not started
NJS - A few mines close and its all over for them
Alliance - Im sure someone will think of something good
Network - should not have bought them 100's doom and gloom for all!
Skippers - been going broke for years, any decade now and im sure it will happen
Airnorth - Oh no, those 170's will sink them!
Pearl - lost the aeromed eeeeeeeeek its all over
M****R - A Saabs in the hanger due overtemp, they cant afford to fix it, the sky is falling!
Sky Trans - Only a couple of people getting off the dash, looks like they're broke too, should not have sold the 30 year old bug smashers, that would have saved them! (in same breath pays out on Airsouth for RPT 404 & PA31 ops)
REX - they're going broke cause they don't have any captains
Virgin - should not have got the embraers or the 777 its going to sink them!
Jetstar - only make money cause of Qantas
Qantas - They will go broke cause they don't have 777's and are still driving pus bucket classics (then when the classics go, start a thread on how great they were)

I mean come on! get a grip! why is the glass always so half empty with pilots? Its depressing!

Ref + 10
21st Jan 2009, 10:49
Mr Goblin,

Although there is nothing funny about the goings on around the state, country and even world at the moment, your post give me a chuckle. Thanks.

I just hope that those who have lost their jobs are able to find new ones soon and that their families aren't affected too badly. Alas, this could be wishful thinking...:(

Alliance's ops in and out of MNE has existed on it's current schedule since it began what, two or three years ago. The loads steadily increased to the point of being full and needing additional charters at certain times of mining ops. They may lose a flight or two a week but I doubt they will affected as badly as say NJS are with the suspension of ops at Ravensthorpe.

Rio do owe a lot of money to XR but that is due to them having a 90 day payment clause in the contract. The first payment should come in shortly and then they can start to breathe again...

It's sad to see the boom come to an end but the doomsayers have been saying when it came it would be a big fall. Let's hope that all this will be over soon.

Wombat
21st Jan 2009, 12:01
Mr Green Goblin,

That is probably the best post I have read on pprune yet :ok:

Wombat

OverRun
21st Jan 2009, 12:13
Mr Green Goblin,

Thanks. A breath of sanity in a sea of panic.

OpsNormal
21st Jan 2009, 20:08
Originally posted by topend3:

i think your post wiz smacks of not really having a handle on what is happening? how many mines are closing down? how many people are getting laid off?

If you are going to be a tad egotistical in writing at someone else then for gawd sake learn how to construct a decent post (now think back all those years ago about what the teacher told you about the big letters at the start of each sentence), and please keep your finger on the pulse of what is happening instead of keeping your head buried in the sand wont you? :=

I now live in dear old insular NSW after many years in the North of the country and yet through people I keep a close connection with in the mining industry of Queensland I knew just after Christmas that BHP-B were going to drop a nasty turn early in the new year. It was no big secret. :rolleyes:

Wiz. You keep calling it as you see it son!:ok:

All the best,

OpsN.;)

Icarus2001
22nd Jan 2009, 03:42
Sorry Icarus - happened today. Talk back radio in Perth full of it.
Yes. They ARE FULL OF IT.

As I said, I believe that the shutdown will be completed by June 30 2009.

plasticmerc
22nd Jan 2009, 07:07
My vote for ppruner of the year is "the green Goblin" couldn't have put it any other way:D

MattSco
23rd Jan 2009, 12:06
A little bird just told me from his sources in the gold mining sector that the word is Rio Tinto owes Skywest a very large sum of money for services rendered and has not paid their bill which is putting considerable financial pressure on the airline.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/worry.gif:=
This may be contributing to the recent layoffs and turmoil being spoken of in this thread

The share price having now dropped to 4.6 pence (good time to buy maybe?) is also putting on the pressure. :{
London Stock Exchange - Generic Search (http://www.londonstockexchange.com/en-gb/pricesnews/prices/Trigger/genericsearch.htm?bsg=true&ns=skyw)

Neeewman
23rd Jan 2009, 14:26
I am astounded by the panic merchants and some bad will towards this airline.
I have many friends who work there, most have deciced to forgoe(sp) big airline jobs to live in perth and work with many, amd I say many, talented people in a company which has held the ground in working conditions and lifestyle whilst other organisations (ands lets be frank) -other pilots ,have whittled away the working conditions of our industry.
In twenty years of flying , I am yet to see such a high majority of reasonably satisfied air crew which can still take a smile and a joke to work.
To you you easterners- when you can fly in WA amd have your fellow pilots pass on valuable information and technque without holding it back like you have a patent on it- you will truely be in good company- and ironically-in a good company, a spirit of flying lost in many parts of the so called devopoed part of Australia.
To M.H, Hang in ther mate ( don't know the cicumstances but you will allways be welcome in my home.) To the old boys. don't believe the ****.
By the way, I missed out on my interview at Skywest. So I'm sure I can be pretty objective.
All the best you crazy carny folk :ok:

Going Boeing
2nd Feb 2009, 03:20
National Jet Systems Buys 2 BAE 146s from BAE

(January 29, 2009) -- National Jet Systems (NJS), Australia's largest provider of contracted air transport services, has purchased two BAe 146-200s from BAE Systems Regional Aircraft.

Both of the two Series 200 aircraft, (msn E2097 and E2107), have been on lease to NJS for a number of years. Although the carrier had the option to return the aircraft at the end of the current lease period, it has elected to keep both aircraft to continue servicing its valuable 'fly-in, fly-out' (FIFO) contracts on behalf of Australian mining companies.

Source : BAE Systems

MACH082
2nd Feb 2009, 03:36
Might need a few extra aeroplanes round the traps to cover if the worst happens to a few regionals :ugh:

Bet they got a bloody good deal too

Mach E Avelli
3rd Feb 2009, 10:12
Mach0.82 you beat me to the draw. Operators who can afford to own aircraft outright, or have the clout to lease them at power by the hour rates are going to cut the guts out of those stuck with last year's lease rates.

Av8tor_WA
9th Feb 2009, 13:31
Hi everyone, I read this thread from start to finish after my brother e-mailed me the link. Getting this thread back on track, I worked for Ansett (12+ yrs) and AN MKII. I was also then fortunate to work for XR in the early days post AN collapse...so I have seen alot and was heavily involved with the corporate product and charter ops including new jets (at that time). It is sad to hear of anyone losing their jobs, I have been there! It would also be very sad to ever see XR in trouble. What I can say is that when I worked for XR I spent much effort trying to convince the then senior mngt that whilst charter can be profitable in the right conditions, it is very risky business and with much competition. Also, when the chips are down, as they are now, you can lose big $$$ simply by putting too many eggs in the one basket (contract charter). I was dealing with very lean figures just to win the business - it just didn't make sense. Additionally, in my honest opinion only, it is not sustainable to operate as both charter operator and RPT. You can only be one or the other. When I say this I mean, for XR, the focus should always have been to be RPT and to build and maintain the network, if you lose one contract/account, you will always have others there to support the route including the general public (VFR - Visiting, Friends and Relatives) and only take on charter IF there is an available aircraft, crew etc to operate the adhoc charter...but never at the expense of your core business. This message was pretty much ignored. Whilst I reviewed potential new jet routes there was talk of the KGI-MEL route. I advised them this was not sustainable based on historic data and research. XR have since canned this route but not after losing $$$. This route was tried by AN years ago - you should learn by yours and others mistakes. Another issue I had was convincing senior mngt regarding corporate business, the then CEO (and others) did not believe in catering for the corporate customer by providing incentivised airfares. The GET route being the jewel in the crown was one of them. Convincing senior mngt that relying on protection of routes by the WA Govt was potentially a bad idea - again, ignored. XR is a great airline but has maintained its concentration on contract charter to the detriment of it's own viability - this drive being recommended by staff who came from 'other' operators in the charter game and convincing the board that this was the future for XR. I hope the latest market downturn helps them understand the risks involved and truly hope XR fly straight and level from this point on. Stay out of the contract charter game - it is too risky, too many operators and too cut throat. Again, only my opinion.

Good luck XR and all the best to the dedicated staff behind the scenes - it is the people who make a great airline, look after them.

SIDS N STARS
9th Feb 2009, 16:17
Thank You for stating the obvious !!

pianokeys
10th Feb 2009, 02:03
Av8tor_WA

Well said, with the current senior management and board I have the fear that these issues will continue. They have discounted charter operations to get the bussiness and with a drop off in RPT revenue and some bad strategic decisions eg KGI/MEL, which has resulted in the current problems.

topend3
10th Feb 2009, 08:05
but funny how now the RPT routes are also seeing a big drop-off in passenger numbers...

mostlytossas
10th Feb 2009, 08:31
Not funny....it is called a R E C E S S I O N:ooh:

topend3
10th Feb 2009, 10:43
Actually tossa I am not sure the current economic climate is defined as a recession...this would require two successive quarters of negative economic growth...but you would know that...

mostlytossas
10th Feb 2009, 12:09
Yes I would know that thanks. But before you get to that point you will see a marked down turn in business and for an airline that means passengers which is what you are observing.

Engineer_aus
11th Feb 2009, 22:27
I heard DJ are not doing to well either. Time will tell with XR, but one would suggest they are going to be in the red in the near future. However with Fuel coming down it should balance it out a bit.

Dog One
12th Feb 2009, 09:47
QF appear to have down graded QF1074 PH - BRM from a 737-800 to a 717.

illusion
12th Feb 2009, 18:58
Don't worry, it will be upgraded to an A320 soon.

Dog One
12th Feb 2009, 22:16
Will the A320 have an orange J on it, or will it have a blue tail?

Skystar320
12th Feb 2009, 23:43
lol Skywest and a Airbus A320?

topend3
13th Feb 2009, 12:51
Dog One, i think you should do some homework, Jetstar don't have orange J's on their tails...

Av8tor_WA
14th Feb 2009, 16:02
Hi pianokeys,

Yes, it certainly seemed as though it was a case of win at any cost and we'll get an aircraft if we need to. This sort of mentality is dangerous and detrimental to the profitability and viability of the airline.

Hi Topend,

You are right in seeing the RPT numbers drop, this is as a direct result of the economy and will get worse before getting better. The mining & resource sector is one of the many industries affected with layoffs and large cutbacks, this results in reduced pax numbers. This would be very evident in pax numbers to ports such as KTA.

RPT will always, however, provide a more stable platform over contract charter due to the support/pax numbers provided by a broader customer base. If you lose a contract (all eggs in one basket), you will end up having an aircraft sitting on the ground.

Take care

aussie027
2nd Mar 2009, 18:04
What has happened in past month re pilot numbers, were pilots actually laid off or has recruitment simply stopped for a period???
Does anyone, working there, have any accurate info to pass on to us all please re the current and likely future situation for this year???

Whiskery
28th Mar 2009, 10:35
BUSINESS AS USUAL

"were pilots actually laid off" - NOPE

"has recruitment simply stopped for a period???" - YEP

"the current and likely future situation for this year???" -

BUSINESS AS USUAL

PER210
28th Mar 2009, 13:56
rumour of CEO resigning. any truth?

aussie027
28th Mar 2009, 17:13
Whiskery,
Thanks for that.
Anybody have any idea when recruitment will likely begin again??
Before years end or is going to be frozen until the whole mining industry gets back moving at full speed again??
Are they expecting to pick up any new contracts anytime soon that will require more new hire crew???

BondiBoy
16th Aug 2009, 10:21
From the July operating statistics

Separately, Skywest would like to inform shareholders that the Company and its Engineers have entered into an enterprise bargaining program aimed at securing long term predictability for the Company and its employees.
This follows a Protective Action Ballot taken by members of the Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association, which is in favour of disruptive industrial action. The range of potential actions could include overtime bans, work stoppages for up to two days, higher duties bans, stop work meetings and limitations on travel should further negotiations break down.
As such the Company is in the negotiation phase of the process and will attempt to seek resolution of the issues in due course.

Hang in there guys....

Dinky27
29th Aug 2009, 22:11
Time for JR to come back, thats if she doesn't get a gig at NJS or VB as No 1 :)

topend3
30th Aug 2009, 00:46
Not good for Alliance, who seem to benefit out of XR not have enough equipment to service all of their contracts.

Skywest Airlines expands its fleet and adds Global Navigation Satellite System capability to its jet fleet

Skywest Airlines announced today that it has signed a sale and purchase agreement to acquire another Fokker 100 jet from a leading aerospace company.

The additional jet will increase Skywest’s fleet to 16 and is anticipated to join the rest of the Skywest fleet in October after securing CASA approval and undergoing an interior and exterior refurbishment.

Skywest Airlines Chief Executive Officer, Mark Shelton said the additional aircraft will provide much needed relief on the current fleet and enable Skywest to further capitalise on the opportunities within the Western Australia mining and resource sector. "This additional jet will help to improve Skywest’s overall operational reliability and diminish the need to cross hire aircraft from other airlines" Mr Shelton said.

Skywest has also announced its commitment to the gradual installation of new safety and tracking features. It will integrate Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) into its entire fleet of 100-seat Fokker jets. The integrated GNSS will deliver more accurate aircraft tracking performance which will allow for shorter approaches at night and in bad weather, and will also save time and fuel.

myshoutcaptain
30th Aug 2009, 07:17
Would additional capacity come from putting some engines on the parked 100's and flying them instead?!

Erin Brockovich
30th Aug 2009, 11:14
I think there will be more than enough flying for everyone in the future.

The problem will be the congestion. Build another bloody runway or force the mines to stagger their shift changes and flight times.

oil additive
31st Aug 2009, 04:26
Well said Erin!!

There will be plenty of work for everyone, let's just hope that WAC can give us a better airport than we've currently got.

YPPH has become a joke!!:{