PDA

View Full Version : Schoolteacher convicted of assaulting scroats

Richard Taylor
19th Dec 2008, 08:50
Probably been a few threads down the years about this. But makes me despair about future generations.

A schoolteacher in Scotland with a hitherto unblemished record has been convicted of assault after snapping over a continuous vitriolic campaign of abuse against him.

One called him " a walking penis" & another told him to f*ck off.

However the Sheriff commented on the serious provocation he had had to put up with from the pupils in question, & a witness in court claimed that the pupils "had behaved like a bunch of clowns" in the courtroom.

When asked whether he had any respect of the teacher, one of them merely smirked.

Sadly also appears these pupils knew their rights (or their parents did).

Where is the discipline, both at home & in the schoolroom these days?

If it was up to me, taking these losers round the back of the bikesheds & beating the living [email protected] out of them would be the preferred option, but human rights legislation & all that...

Sadly, I think even the belt or return of the cane wouldn't make much difference these days.

Grange Hill seems tame by comparison. :=

Flap 5
19th Dec 2008, 12:44
The real losers of course are the pupils. Especially the others in the class who have their education ruined by these idiots.

muppetbum
19th Dec 2008, 13:31
I've left teaching (and the UK!!) after ten years of putting up with such crap. I made the mistake of living within a few streets of where I worked , thus I couldn't step outside my own front door without being subject to similar abuse.

Shopping downtown was a nightmare. Once such incident (shortly before I escaped) led to my husband pushing one of the miscreants in the local river. I was mildly suprised ( although not as suprised as the student in question!). We had been walking through a local park, minding our own business, when a group of about five of my "special pupils" decided to surround us , screaming abuse at me, with the usual "what ya gonna do about it , touch me and I'll get you sacked" spiel.

Husband very calmly turned to me and replied : I realise that due to the nature of yuor profession you are not able to respond to this situation, however please understand that I am not bound by any such restrictions," he then pushed the closest muppet into the water and walked on. I've never been prouder of him!

During my ten years in the classroom I have

Had three malicious allegations against me , two of which involved the police

witnessed a collegaue assaulted by a gang of yr 10 pupils who cornered her and proceeded to bombard her in the face with snowballs

been physically prevented from boarding my bus home

been verbally assaulted on a daily basis ( being called a fat old bitch is fairly mild , I am fat , I can be a bitch , but please 25 is hardly old !!)

Had at least three pieces of furniture thrown at (and hit) me

been caught in the middle of two lads , at least 12 inches taller than me , deciding to throw punches at each other ( I was just collateral damage)

and other stuff its just too depressing to remember!

And now the hallowed GTCE want to control what we do outside work as well

BBC NEWS | Education | Teachers to get 'role model' code (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7791461.stm)

I'm genuinely curious to know , what other professions have such careful monitoring of what you do outside work?

Rhyspiper
19th Dec 2008, 14:13
Jesus christ where was the school that you taught at!

I thought mine was rough and I'm from Essex!

muppetbum
19th Dec 2008, 14:19
Three different schools , in Kent. None of them grammar schools.
I wouldn't even say my experiences were out of the ordinary to be honest. This is why I left teaching and the UK. Here I walk through a group of teens without feeling threatened. I nearly died when a teenager here offered me their seat on the streetcar because I had bags of heavy shopping :)

Cheerio
19th Dec 2008, 14:25
Very much in line with Mrs C's experiences. She has been spat on, barricaded in a store cupboard, pushed, kicked, squared up to, mocked, bullied, sexually assaulted, you name it. She gave up front-of-class work years ago and concentrates on learning difficulties now, but the same discipline issues remain.

Its a mugs game.

Storminnorm
19th Dec 2008, 14:37
We had a Physics teacher, name of Sutcliffe, used to regularly
give us a clout round the earhole if we were messing about.
He was about 6' 4" and played rugby.
His was always a VERY well behaved class!
He'd have been locked up nowadays. Pity really, because of
him I developed an interest in astronomy.
I regularly saw stars.

Scooby Don't
19th Dec 2008, 19:08
As I'm sure muppetbum will attest, kids in Canada are not subject to stricter discipline in the classroom and certainly aren't belted! Yet somehow, they and their US counterparts, at least outside a few rough, inner-city areas, tend to show respect to their elders. An interesting point is that North Americans have much less of a problem than Brits with addressing people as sir or ma'am, even when the people in question are in a lower-status position at times. That alone may certainly play a part.

The biggest problem in the UK is parenting, or lack of it. North American kids almost certainly spend as much time glued to the TV or the internet as British kids, though those with a reasonable amount of athletic talent are probably more likely to be playing football or hockey than British kids. For that, we can't even blame the lack of school sports as hockey (ice variety) in Canada is seldom anything to do with schools. It's the parents' job to buy the kit, take their kids to practice, etc etc. When it comes to the school itself, Canadian parents don't appear to assume that school will do their job for them, whereas a significant proportion of British parents seem to expect exactly that. Canadian parents are often willing to put their spare time to use raising extra funds for state-supported schools, which the whole community will usually support, and they appear much more likely to side with the teacher and the school when their kids do act like idiots.

I've felt the same surprise as muppetbum, walking through groups of teenagers in the US and Canada without the slightest trouble. Coming from the UK originally, it really is a shock the first time, to realise they aren't automatically seeking to cause you trouble! The biggest hassle I've had in Canada from kids, and I'm assuming the perpetrators were kids though they may not have been, was being woken by the sound of hockey pucks hitting the boards at a nearby outdoor rink.

Edited to add: I had a maths teacher called Mr Wrench. I swear on all that is holy that his daughter was called Iona. Anyhoo, this was at a minor independent (as in public to Brits and private to Canuckians) school in Scotland. On his first day at the school, which happened to be mine too, the class was nattering away when he came into the classroom, oblivious to his arrival as they caught up with summer goings-on. He waited maybe half a minute, then bellowed out, "don't you stand up at this school when a teacher walks into the room???" Immediately, everyone shot up and stood to attention. It took about 3 years to work out he was actually a bit of a softy! But by 'eck, he never got any trouble from anyone.