PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Thomas "Aviation Expert" on Sunrise

VH-XXX
18th Dec 2008, 21:16
For those that caught it at 7:07am on Sunrise today on Channel 7 you'd know about this.

I was most disappointed to hear Geoff's comments regarding the Bankstown incident.

A couple of comments I noted:

Geoff stated words to the effect of the fact that a 89 year old instructor was at the controls should be reviewed. Whilst he said that this was likely not a contributing factor he did say that consideration should be given to the maximum age.

Geoff also stated words to the effect that pilots often turn down their radios so they don't have to listen to them and that they don't follow instructions given.

He also stated words to the effect that it is common aviation practice for pilots to not make radio calls so as to avoid airways charges.

Of course this prompted the Sunrise presenter to suggest that a full enquiry be held into aviation.

Most disappointing comments from an awarded journalist or from anyone for that matter representing aviation.

Capt Fathom
18th Dec 2008, 21:22
Most disappointing comments from an awarded journalist or from anyone for that matter representing aviation.

He doesn't represent aviation, he represents himself.

OZBUSDRIVER
18th Dec 2008, 21:35
From the Aus Aviation Bio page.

Geoffrey Thomas
Contributing Writer

Geoffrey Thomas has been commentating on the airline industry for 25 years and as well as writing for Australian Aviation is the Senior Editor with US based Air Transport World.

Geoff first became engrossed in the industry as a young child, when his uncle who was a chief engineer with Trans Australian Airlines allowed him to scramble over DC-6Bs and Viscounts.

Some awards have come his way and Geoff was named Aerospace Journalist of the Year in the Best Systems and Technology category for 2002 and 2003 and he won Australasian Aviation Journalist of the Year awards for 2001 and 2002 and was runner-up in 2003. In all Geoff has won 17 international and Australasian awards. Geoff has also featured in a number of TV investigative documentaries and is a regular commentator on Australian TV and radio.

A low point was missing a flight in the Concorde because it clashed with his son Nick’s fifth birthday but a highlight was taking part in Boeing’s 777-200LR record setting world distance flight late last year.

Sounds like professional SLF:8

FoxtrotAlpha18
18th Dec 2008, 22:04
Sounds like professional SLF
He doesn't represent aviation, he represents himself.

Strong words there guys...

Geoff has a presence here on PPrune...I hope you've addressed your concerns with him directly too!

rammel
18th Dec 2008, 22:11
I've seen him on tv before, and I have to say he's a lot better in print. He does seem to go the sensationalist angle when on tv. While I don't always agree with what he has to say, at least in print he can explain it in more detail. On telly they don't worry too much about details, just go for the sound bite.

VH-XXX
18th Dec 2008, 22:20
I posted with my individual thoughts as I am entitled to do to FA18 and I chose not to contact him directly - just to make that clear.

It was disappointing that he seemed to use the Sunrise segment to promote agenda that was unrelated to the incident yesterday.

The last thing the general public wants is to know or think that they know is that that pilots fly around up there with their radios off ignoring instructions from Air Traffic Control. Where is the evidence of this? I've never heard of this before. I've heard of radios being turned down whilst out and about, but never to ignore instructions.

As for failing to make radio calls so as to avoid airways charges, completely irrelevant for Bankstown and aside from some hear-say, probably completely irrelevant.

coke drinker
18th Dec 2008, 22:21
Combine these self confessed "experts" (anyone see the moron on Channel 9 last night) with scaremongering from celebrities (cough, cough you know who you are) and you end up with a tragic accident becoming the biggest disaster in Australian history. Everyone trying to pin blame on the 89 year old pilot-go eat yourselves. This pilot is by FAR the greatest pilot in Australia, and to suggest age means he in inept is to be prejudiced without reason!

Atlas Shrugged
18th Dec 2008, 22:22
Why is everyone a fecking expert every time we have a mid-air?

Un-be-fecking-leavable :mad:

Disco Stu
18th Dec 2008, 22:23
"Geoffrey Thomas".

Nowhere in the above "bio" is there any indication of 'relevant aviation qualifications" on which he can claim expert status.

I have been flying now for over 40 years and am nowhere near any 'expert' status, competent yes, but expert, not yet.

I know Thomas appears here on PPRuNe now and then and I can't remember any valid contribution made to our industry by that presence.

There are comments flying in every direction after the most recent mid-air, none of which will contribute to the potential resolution of this on-going aviation problem that has exsisted now for over 100 years.

:=

Scion
18th Dec 2008, 22:32
Who pays Mr Thomas?
and is there a vested interest somewhere for his inappropriate remarks?

OZBUSDRIVER
18th Dec 2008, 22:34
EDIT- I am falling for the trap.

The guy is no expert on procedural matters. If he was he would know that what he said was way out of left field.

Age, radio useage, avoiding charges? What has any of this got to do with a simple incident...a very tragic incident...but a simple incident just the same. If this was reduced to laymans terms, it was a "fail to give way" accident!

One wonders if Sunrise "shopped" around to get the type of comment that best suited their intentions

mostlytossas
18th Dec 2008, 23:02
Didn't see the interview myself or making any excuses for the bloke in question but are you sure the interview was not edited to fit in to a certain time slot and ofcourse to sensationalise the story. Is it possible he spoke of a number of issues one of which being the practice of some at country airports to not make a call to avoid fees or IFR charter flights in high performance aircraft going VFR when able to avoid fees etc?
Most of these interviews are pre recorded the day before or hours earlier you know, especially breakfast programs.

VH-XXX
18th Dec 2008, 23:08
FYI - The interview was portrayed as LIVE and UN-EDITED and it appeared in every aspect to be live.

It was asked during the interview whether or not an instructor could be 100 years old to which the aviation expert replied that it was possible but unlikely to happen.

I hope for Geoff's sake that Ken Andrews is still flying at 100 ! Good on you Ken for making it home safely and brilliant that you are still flying at your age.

The age / medical debate is irrelevant in this case if it was in fact a PPL flight test.

Back to topic though sorry.

OZBUSDRIVER
18th Dec 2008, 23:17
As an aside, just watched the SkyNews report on the accident. Ken's age has been dismissed as a factor. He has to pass his stringent class 1 every six months.

Everything else that has surfaced as comment got reported on. I particularly like the bit about most of the comment is coming from one aviator, Dick Smith.

The family in the house were not even home. They were out getting photoes and returned to find the aircraft in their backyard.

The investigation will look into the practices of the two schools. Hope this doesn't turn into a witch hunt.

tinhorse
18th Dec 2008, 23:20
Flying into Bankstown in a slower type single has alwys made me aprehensive - I have no way of avoiding a faster aircraft approaching from behind. A few years ago I flew into Oshkosh in a Bonanza, and the procedure was just so simple and safe. The reporting point was a small town called Ripon - about 20 miles from Oshkosh. From there all aircraft were at the same altitude, and spaced line astern - speed for all was 80 MPH. Considering the sheer volume of traffic, the result was amazingly simple and hassle free. Twin engine aircraft were given a higher altitude and airspeed. Any thoughts out there on this system?

MotionPotion
18th Dec 2008, 23:21
I have known Ken since I first started flying nearly 7 years ago and in that time he has conducted most of my flight tests and when I was instructing he tested many of my students over the years. I have nothing but the highest respect for that man...he has taught me and many more of us who have been privileged enough to fly with him more than what anyone could ever imagine. I find it so heartbreaking that narrow minded, ignorant lowlifes who know NOTHING about him and/or the aviation industry can come out and blame Ken because of his age. This accident could've happened to any of us at ANY age!

I hope this tragedy doesn't stop Ken from taking to the skies again. Love your work!

My thoughts and prayers go out to all that were involved. It's a very sad moment in aviation :(

Trojan1981
18th Dec 2008, 23:22
"Geoffrey Thomas".

Nowhere in the above "bio" is there any indication of 'relevant aviation qualifications" on which he can claim expert status.
:D
Not a Pilot? Another good reason not to read that magazine.

His points were not really relevant, but simply being on Sunrise and being called an expert by Mel and Kochy gives instant Credability. The public take notice and don't know any better.
I just saw Dick Smith on the morning news (Ch 10 I think). Love him or loath him at least he has an inside perspective and significant aeronautical experience.

VH-XXX
18th Dec 2008, 23:26
The gent (and his sons) who was first on the scene was most professional. He was also a pilot. He saw the aircraft come down, approached the crash site, assessed the site and noted spilled avgas, warned his sons about he avgas and risk and attempted to remove the occupants quickly in case an explosion erupted from the hot engine. Unfortunately he realised that he was unable to help the occupants due to the extent of the impact.

Smart thinking and quick action by the pilot.

That is what should be reported on, not this other tripe.

ForkTailedDrKiller
18th Dec 2008, 23:52
Perhaps this is why the American magazine "Flying" has been on the top of the aviation magazine dung heap for so many years - the journos are actually experienced pilots!

Dr :8

kingtoad
18th Dec 2008, 23:56
Well Said VH-XXX.

I was also unimpressed by the comments on Sunrise. I've been to many cattle yards and the biggest heap of bullsh!t I've seen was not in one of them. :E

Starting4
19th Dec 2008, 02:08
Well all i can say is "You know what an expert is ....x is an unknown factor ..and a spert comes from something under pressure.....so Geoff must be an unknown factor under pressure.....lol

Disco Stu
19th Dec 2008, 02:17
Let us not fall into the trap of getting 'personal' towards Thomas. It is certainly 'open season' on his qualifications and comments by discussing their validity to the current matter.

You know, the same way contributors to PPRuNe vigorously discuss Dick Smith's ideas without resorting to personal and demeaning abuse.:ok:

Hugh Jarse
19th Dec 2008, 02:48
I don't know what all the hassle is about. Sunrise and the Today show have about as much credibility as Today Tonight and A Current Affair.

Basically sensationalist, tabloid trash :yuk:

Stationair8
19th Dec 2008, 02:59
Did Koche have an opinion, after all he his a natural laxative?
Would have been a bit of a squeeze in Channel 7, with Mr Thomas and Mr Smiths ego's ?

Tidbinbilla
19th Dec 2008, 03:09
Beached As Brew won't be around for a few days.

Just remember people - Don't write anything slanderous or libellous unless you're prepared to back it up in court.

TID

Freewheel
19th Dec 2008, 03:29
Personally, I have found the skills and objectivity of the interviewer to be somewhat lacking on a wide range of topics.

I expected, and received, another disappointing few minutes viewing, finalised by a sweeping statement supported by all previous questions (not necessarily the answers) and bearing little resemblance to the relevant issues.

I've been critical of some of Dick's public appearances in the past, but I suspect one of 2 reasons explain why he wasn't interviewed - either he wasn't available, or he didn't have the right opinion.

VH-XXX
19th Dec 2008, 03:38
From what everyone is telling me, Dick was unavailable as he was on Channel 9's morning show.

VH-XXX
19th Dec 2008, 03:51
There's nothing else to call them, as a Professional is merely someone who gets paid to do what they do. Eg. we've all probably been a professional lawnmowist as some stage of our lives, but that doesn't make us an expert.

An Expert (SME - Subject Matter Expert) is either self proclaimed or someone who has been awarded or commended on their contributions. In this case the journalist has been awarded or commended on their contribution to aviation reporting and can rightly-so proport to be an expert and I would agree with that.

I didn't (and it seems that nobody else) agreed to the comments this morning.

Buster Hyman
19th Dec 2008, 04:27
Anyone else going to do the x-spurt joke before we wrap it up?:confused:

I did not see the segment but, having worked with Geoffrey on a project previously, I would like to hear his side of the story. However, if the thread continues on as a character assassination, then I wouldn't blame him for ignoring it.

We all bemoan shoddy aviation stories we read, and journos skulking in the threads on fishing expeditions. GT is one of the few that posts under his own name and is accessible to us here on Pprune. It would be a pity to encourage anonymous journo's here.

OZBUSDRIVER
19th Dec 2008, 04:29
XXX, agree with that. Just blotted his copybook in this case.

FoxtrotAlpha18
19th Dec 2008, 05:16
Not a Pilot? Another good reason not to read that magazine.

Another big call! What other reasons are there Trojan? :confused:

FGD135
19th Dec 2008, 12:47
I certainly regard GT as enough of an "expert" to warrant listening to. I always read his articles in Australian Aviation and have a couple of his books (e.g. "Qantas Flightpaths"). Whenever I encounter an article of his somewhere (e.g a newspaper), I will go out of my way to read it.

I have been a GA pilot for over 20 years and a close follower of the industry, world-wide, for much longer - I have had a subscription to Flight International for about 25 years now.

GT - if you're reading this - keep up the good work. The Qantas Flightpaths book is so good it should be a textbook for just about everybody in aviation.

As for the appearance of a "live" interview: Television stations often will capture a long, sometimes rambling interview with some expert then take out little snippets for play back later. Of course, those snippets need to be given "context" so the TV station will add the interview questions back in, so as to fit the snippets!

And the interviewer, of course, will not be the original interviewer but one of the personalities that is normally on air at that time slot (e.g Koch or Mel). So Mel just reads out the list of questions and the snippets are played back in response.

To the average viewer, it all looks perfectly live.

ElPerro
19th Dec 2008, 14:33
Another big call! What other reasons are there Trojan?

Enough with the "ooooh! You'll be in trouble"

I'm assuming you're about to lay your cards on the table and declare to all that he's a 50,000 hour pilot who flies the Red Bull Air Race course in a B777 with it's engines shut down and designed the A380 in his spare time.

Do you agree with what he said or not?

:rolleyes:

FoxtrotAlpha18
19th Dec 2008, 19:02
Enough with the "ooooh! You'll be in trouble"

I'm assuming you're about to lay your cards on the table and declare to all that he's a 50,000 hour pilot who flies the Red Bull Air Race course in a B777 with it's engines shut down and designed the A380 in his spare time.

Do you agree with what he said or not?

Firstly, I was querying Tojan's call on the "magazine"...but anyway...

Have met him and he always strikes me as a decent fellow. Don't know his flying background but, as far as I'm concerned, that doesn't matter. I agree with FGD that he's a good commentator worth reading.

I also don't know enough about the GA scene to know whether he's right or not, however I suspect he didn't just pluck his claims out of his arse for the sake of a good sound bite.

Trojan1981
21st Dec 2008, 00:50
G'Day FA18

WRT the magazine, I don't like the articles that read like press releases (with little crititcal analyses), many of the opinions expressed over the years and an apparent pre-occupation with military aviation. All personal opinion, of course.

I do not mean for this to sound like a personal attack. GT has been recognised as a successful aviation journalist and I am sure he is a decent fellow.
However, Bankstown tower was operating at the time and so comments relating to pilots not making radio calls to avoid fees are unhelpful and irrelevant. Viewers who know very little about aviation or GA will be up in arms after hearing speculation like that. Hence D Koche's comment about an inquiry into aviation.

FoxtrotAlpha18
21st Dec 2008, 06:50
G'Day FA18

WRT the magazine, I don't like the articles that read like press releases (with little crititcal analyses), many of the opinions expressed over the years and an apparent pre-occupation with military aviation. All personal opinion, of course.

Thanks for the clarification Trojan - I'm mates with AA's main military writer and will gladly pass your feedback on to him.:cool:

Cheers

GrobStream
21st Dec 2008, 07:35
I have never posted on this forum however being closely assosiated with the events of the last few days I felt I must. The only thing more shocking too us all than loosing our friend and collegue was the disgraceful behavior of the media, the tricks, lies, and harassment of the Family, Ken and the staff of the schools involved has left me with a sour taste in my mouth that will not leave me for a very long time. Its quite ironic that this forum has focussed on the sunrise program as channel 7 were by far the most appaling along with the reporters of the Herald, telegraph and the Australian. I am reluctant to ever buy a paper, or watch the news again, for two reasons, one never to support these animals and two half the crap that was printed or went to air was completely innacurate with zero care for who it affected.
Most of you know, but dont ever believe what you read or hear.
I dont wish the events of the last few days on anyone.

Trojan1981
22nd Dec 2008, 04:59
Thanks for the clarification Trojan - I'm mates with AA's main military writer and will gladly pass your feedback on to him.

Cheers
No worries:ok:

Gobstream, good post.

LongTimeInCX
29th Mar 2014, 05:21
Clearly still hasn't much of a clue what he's talking about.
Typified by a recent "look at me in a 777 sim" where he talks incessantly about altitude in metres rather than what real pilots use in thar area - feet.

Flight recreated in 777 simulator - The West Australian (http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/22235213/flight-recreated-in-777-simulator/)

Sensationalism and claptrap at it's worst.

Mail-man
29th Mar 2014, 05:56
I caught a clip where he said the malaysian pilots were using non standard phrasologies. Then attempted to demonstrate the correct call and got that terrifically wrong. Aviation expert my foot!

LeadSled
29th Mar 2014, 06:03
Sorry, Mr. Thomas, it is not the only B777 sim. in Australia.
Tootle pip!!

Hugh Jarse
29th Mar 2014, 06:14
Lead Slead - If GT was talking "the only toy/Flight Sim B777 simulator in Australia" he would be correct. :D However, if he's talking "the only REAL B777 sim in Australia" - then that would be located somewhere near Silverwater, NSW. Obviously GT is too tight to fork out for a ticket to a REAL B77 simulator, because his mates at QF don't have a B777 (or simulator), and VA (who has a REAL B777 simulator) see him for what he truly is - a person who is NOT an aviation expert, and wouldn't give him a free ticket to said sim - let alone a free ipad or Chairman's Lounge membership :E:}.

He mentions being over the Malacca Strait. I think he meant 'Malaka' Strait.

Those among us of Greek descent will understand what I mean ;)

Credibility ZERO as far as I'm concerned.

aussie027
29th Mar 2014, 06:48
Hhhhhhhmmmm, In his article I couldn't understand why when he shut the engines down the aircraft ended up in 3 out of control scenarios, a different one each time he tried it, instead of just flying it and descending normally at either best range or best endurance glide speed???

Maybe the real world scenario wasn't going to be dramatic enough for the article's headline, which was-- "I cut the fuel. All hell was about to break loose".

Then again I remember Capt Moody and his crew on BA9 in 1982 lost twice as many engines as "Capt" Thomas and managed to glide very well giving them time to work the problem and find a solution or prepare for a ditching.

Hempy
29th Mar 2014, 07:35
Sorry, Mr. Thomas, it is not the only B777 sim. in Australia.
Tootle pip!!

Well bugger me..I always thought YOU were GT...

:)

SOPS
29th Mar 2014, 07:36
Yes, I read the only 777 in Australia thing and thought to myself....if you would take your QF blinkers off, you might find out there is a proper 777 sim in Australia, but they might not let you near it......

And as for "maximum certified decent rate" .....where does he get this rubbish from? There is no max certified rate!! And most of the rest of what he wrote is basically rubbish as well.

VH-XXX
29th Mar 2014, 09:07
So basically nothing has changed since December 19th 2008 when I first posted about him :ok:

Wally Mk2
29th Mar 2014, 10:33
The guy sells, simple as that, knowing anything factual is irrelevant as remember he's 'talking' to the gen public who know nufin' anyway & believe everything that's shown on TV!:ugh:
This whole thing (missing tripple) is getting stale these days with re hashed stuff over & over again & without sounding awful to the poor relatives awaiting credible news etc the media are scratching for new stuff now to sell advertising, I mean the Media is a commercial business & in the business of making money & this guy is on tap for their commercial use. People buy/accept this stuff & who's to say otherwise? I was sitting in a terminal the other day awaiting to pax on a Co A/C & the joint was packed due delayed A/C all over the place & the conversations I heard around me re the B777 was amazing. So to show this B777 Sim folly with this guy at the helm means everything to these people.

Wmk2

tecman
29th Mar 2014, 12:02
Wally, I read the GT article in the West Aust today and thought it was just about the pits. As others have noted, it was full of inaccuracies and silly observations. It contributed nothing new and was base tabloid exploitation of a profound tragedy - simply execrable 'journalism'.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised in that the West Oz was, in the recent past, the press organ that managed to transform a woman's murder into front page entertainment for weeks on end. Notwithstanding that miserable effort, GT's effort today plumbed new depths.

Aeromuz
29th Mar 2014, 13:16
Most of his articles are trash and the paper is only good to wipe your backside with. During the last few weeks though it has deteriorated to depths I didn't even know existed. Nice work "Biggles" you never fail to disappoint.

walesregent
29th Mar 2014, 13:39
I guess I shouldn't be too surprised in that the West Oz was, in the recent past, the press organ that managed to transform a woman's murder into front page entertainment for weeks on end. Notwithstanding that miserable effort, GT's effort today plumbed new depths.

That has happened on at least four occasions that spring to mind. It should come with a confessional directory for anyone who is ever lured into buying it for one of those headlines (and maybe one in the office for the journos and editorial staff). As for journalists as experts- expertise only comes from many years of practice in your field, and diminishes rapidly once you stop (say to start writing copious amounts of copy on the subject). I don't believe that you can simultaneously be an expert and regularly write about it (and, so as not to unfairly label GT, I don't imagine he goes about referring to himself as an aviation expert, more likely that is done by media producers with nothing but thinly veiled contempt for the intelligence of their audience).

Fris B. Fairing
29th Mar 2014, 22:36
Aeromuz

the paper is only good to wipe your backside with.

Not recommended. You can catch Ads.

zzuf
30th Mar 2014, 00:17
Sounds like the ex 777 captain who was HIS copilot set Thomas up.
He and his 777 mates must have chortled in their beers when they read the article.

hawkerxp
30th Mar 2014, 01:39
If everyone took 2 minutes to send something maybe he will pull his head in. I would really like a journo to run the following article "CASA investigates why Virgin has no 777 Simulator, 10 minutes of looking has located the simulator"

[email protected]

Dear Sir,

Many of my fellow pilot's and I would appreciate if Geoffrey Thomas reported on the news rather than trying to make judgements and commentary on Malaysian Airlines flight. The fact remains Geoffrey is not a pilot and has no aviation expertise other than sitting in business class of QANTAS. I have read many newspapers but this does not make me a journalism expert. He is not trained on the Boeing 777 and allot of the information he portrays as an "expert" is simply not accurate. The information he provides is misleading and dangerous. The most obvious case being that his recreation in the "only simulator" in Australia is wrong. The aircraft he used is called a fixed based trainer and is not a simulator. The only Boeing 777 simulator in Australia is in Sydney that is used by Virgin Australia.

Howard Hughes
30th Mar 2014, 03:05
GT is not the only one talking crap, the ABC news 24 'expert' should hand back his ATPL. :rolleyes:

If you are gong to comment, comment on the available information, don't make stuff up!

Kharon
30th Mar 2014, 04:32
There is always a reasonable explanation, somewhere. Always someone who sees a chance and the devil take the hindmost. Aviation definitely has it's share of both.

Dollars and Sense.

Cactusjack
30th Mar 2014, 04:46
I can't comment on any article he has written in the past 3 years as I stopped reading his ****e in 2011. But it was always ****e, and from what I am reading here it is still ****e. He should not be allowed the name 'aviation expert' as quite simply, he isn't! I wish people would stop reading his ****e as that way the media might cut him loose and allow him to go back to what he should be doing - plane spotting. He is a ******.

500N
30th Mar 2014, 05:27
hawker

I was just going to post and ask if anyone has written a letter to Sunrise outlining all the "wrong" information as shown here. As a lay person it is pretty obvious. I work in another industry that has taken Sunrise to task in the past for "wrong" and "biased" information being presented and they do pull the heads in on most occasions.

wateroff
30th Mar 2014, 09:06
They can't - coz they're top sponsor is - "da da dada ad dada Raise your hands and sing it with me....."

He has to lube up anything Onya and Rootrat do, and technically criticise everything else with his less than bees dick to do with serious aviation.

I'm waiting for the day he starts talking about the custard layer at 47,500'. Real custard, not that fake stuff, which I love but hey it's credibility is questionable, .....what was I talking about again.....aviation or lift or something, ahhh but ahh custard, yes yellow, creamy....tasty.

GT (not)

P51D
30th Mar 2014, 09:11
As soon as I saw GT's article I knew it would be red rag to a bull to the many people who follow Prune. The entire world has been talking and speculating about MH370 and the heirachy of the media, print and electronic, want different angles as to what possibly happened. The general public don't have a clue as to the intricacies of aviation and like it or not GT is held in high regard by those who know little or nothing of the industry. In their eyes he's won bulk awards and therefore he must be the oracle. Run him down as much as you like but it will continue until one of you guys, or a collection of you, corrects him in the media or goes on shows such as Sunrise etc to set him straight. Don't say they wouldn't publish a letter or allow you in front of a camera because in my opinion they would if you had something of substance to disprove GT's assertions and correcting him on language and minor technicalities won't cut it. In the meantime GT will go on his merry way being the expert the general public clearly think he is. Here's your chance to put up or shut up.

Wally Mk2
30th Mar 2014, 13:57
'51' I think you may be in the minority there if you support GT in any way but like all the rest of us we each are allowed an opinion:-)

Any one of us standing up in front of a Camera unknown saying things diff to GT would be looked upon as 'who the fock is this guy' 'cause the public don't know any of us or right from wrong with aviation tech details but they sure know GT as like I said earlier he 'sells' (the media couldn't give a rats as long as it's of a commercial benefit to them) & knowledge or lack thereof in his case is irrelevant.

Wmk2

P51D
30th Mar 2014, 21:30
G'day Wal - let's be clear, I'm not supporting him and have disagreed with his commentary, but until someone else comes along, he's it in the eyes of the public. From his employer's perspective he helps to see the rag.

Wally Mk2
30th Mar 2014, 22:33
Hi '51' I said "if" you supported him in any way etc. Yr post just reads that way that's all. I've also said a few times he 'sells' & it's all about money & the public wouldn't know a Cessna from a Boeing so no argument there from me:ok: GT has a good track record as being a self important aviation expert & the gen public see him as that way. I actually enjoy reading his comments as it just goes to show what the gen public are being fed & how sad it is.

Wmk2

T28D
31st Mar 2014, 00:37
He is smart enough to make money out of aviation, much smarter than most of us !!!!

And he has made a career out of crappy journalism that includes 1st class air travel, best lounges, and a publicly recognisable by line.

He keeps away from real aviation matters, technical issues and only pops his head up on the controversial.

So who is the smart one ???????

Wally Mk2
31st Mar 2014, 01:33
'28' depends on how you define being 'smart' I guess. Some of us chose to be informed the best we can some just ride the wave of 'thinking' they are clever.
I've made money out of aviation also, it's not all about first class travel & how much $$$ you have in the bank (you can't take it with you anyway) there are some whom have ethics/standards that go far beyond just looking good on TV.

Wmk2

poteroo
31st Mar 2014, 08:37
Why stress your ageing hearts about it? He has the front running with the general public and everyone on here is bemoaning that fact. Get real.

We all have the opportunity to write to the editor of the West Australian, and to Channel 7, 9, 10 - if we pluck up the gumption sufficient to write under our own names. Unlike here.

I've never met GT, and a lot of his product gets a speed read at this house. But I have plenty of other aviation issues of greater importance than what a journo says in the local press. Get over it everyone!

happy days,

Wallsofchina
11th Apr 2014, 04:43
It's crash or crash through with this one - GT is a brave man

Tony Abbott 'very confident' signals are from MH370 black boxes (http://www.theage.com.au/national/tony-abbott-very-confident-signals-are-from-mh370-black-boxes-20140411-36hi4.html)

Wallsofchina
14th Apr 2014, 16:37
You have to give it to him - he's making money out of it and a lot of skilled people aren't.

Missing plane's black box batteries may have died | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20140413-missing-plane-s-black-box-batteries-may-have-died.ece)

onetrack
14th Apr 2014, 22:38
Whilst flipping through the Aussie newspapers whilst travelling on QF572 yesterday, I was staggered to find a piece by Geoffrey Thomas berating PM Tony Abbott for being too hasty to claim the MH370 aircraft wreckage had been pinpointed.

He obviously suffers from some major memory loss - as this drongo was the bloke who first put out the rumour a few days ago (claiming "unverified sources" of course), that the black box had been found!! :ugh:

Jorgesandal
9th Aug 2016, 13:31
The West Australian through Mr Thomas seem to have access to Dubai international airport coversations between its control tower and aircraft officials. If not, Mr Thomas qualifies, "It is understood..."

Mr Thomas through his Perth press article claims those at the pointy end of the B777 chose retraction of aircraft undercarriage on final approach to Dubai and consideration of a go around. Emirates will no doubt challenge Mr Thomas & an erstwhile happless local rag which demonstates 'journalism'.

Spruce goose Mr Thomas indeed, a consistent blight.

aileron_69
1st May 2017, 05:00
Through the years our old mate GT has popped up in the news with a few dubious calls in his articles and interviews. There is now a facebook page dedicated to this!! Called the Geoffrey Thomas 'Aviation Expert' 'Appreciation' Society.
Growing in popularity the big man has joined the page himself and replies to the odd comment.
A good platform to put forward some of his more dubious claims and see if he has anything to back them up.....

LeadSled
1st May 2017, 08:35
Folks,
Expert --- eX is the unknown quantity, (s)pert is a drip under pressure.
Tootle pip!!

ACMS
1st May 2017, 08:36
Ignore the troll and he'll fade away like others before him.

My wife has more Aviation knowledge than him.

jas24zzk
1st May 2017, 11:55
No he won't

The media love him.

The sentences he expouses, open up oppurtunities to write headlines.

The truth is too boring to sell papers.

compressor stall
1st May 2017, 12:25
love the threat on the FB thread of setting up aviationexpertratings.com

Evanelpus
2nd May 2017, 10:51
The Murray Walker of Aviation?

gerry111
2nd May 2017, 11:32
The Murray Walker of Aviation?

Surely that's a bit unfair? M.W. knew quite a lot about F1 racing and particularly the characters within. You don't need to have been a F1 driver to be a good F1 commentator.

G.T. on the other hand..

Pinky the pilot
2nd May 2017, 11:34
More than a bit unfair, gerry111. I'd call that an insult to Murray Walker!:=

gerry111
2nd May 2017, 11:38
More than a bit unfair, gerry111. I'd call that an insult to Murray Walker!:=

I totally agree with you, Pinky.

Another Number
3rd May 2017, 09:26
MW comparison is spot on! :ok:

...if MW had started out as a garage-sweeper, then graduated to writing adventure stories about cars, followed by awarding himself "Greatest Commentator EVER" awards by the hundred, then getting free spins round all the circuits with all the teams, trying his hand on a simulator and screwing up spectacularly, and, finally, being inducted into Bernie's Hall of Fame! ;)

Clare Prop
3rd May 2017, 09:28
Murray "There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire" Walker is an absolute legend! No comparison!

Another Number
3rd May 2017, 09:30
Murray "There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire" Walker was an absolute legend! No comparison!
"Actually, Murray, that's the safety light..."

tartare
3rd May 2017, 10:35
Ahhhhh - yessss - GT.
Well known accepter of many a junket.
Well known inside the airline industry... by airline execs, PR managers, those wanting favourable coverage.
"Make sure those seats are business class..."
Yep - sure will... ;)