PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the ads....

ChristiaanJ
18th Dec 2008, 17:51
Is this only me?

It's far too often that I find myself staring at "Waiting for www.blahblah.media.adserver.com" while waiting for a PPRuNe page to be displayed.

I hasten to add it's not only PPRuNe!

But it seems that the moment a site starts adding adverts, the time to access site pages goes through the roof, not because the site server itself is slow, but because the corresponding 'adserver' can't be arsed to provide "near-instant" service. They just rake in the money, without providing the necessary bandwidth capacity.

Question for the mods.... how much does PPRuNe cost to run? I realise it's big, but wouldn't a euro/pound/dollar/yen/dinar/naira a year from each member (via PayPal) solve that?
Would keep the totaly computer-illiterate out, too....

CJ

Lost man standing
18th Dec 2008, 18:32
Ads? What ads? (http://adblockplus.org/en/)

Out Of Trim
18th Dec 2008, 19:13
Indeed, most of us turned off all the ads when the site got greedy and used up too much of the page width!

So what Ads! :}

dead_pan
18th Dec 2008, 19:36
Indeed, most of us turned off all the ads when the site got greedy and used up too much of the page width!

Shame 'cos they've started advertising those premium rate gentlemens' telephone services and a well known chain of table dancing clubs. Some of those girls pictured on the ads are amazing!!

ChristiaanJ
18th Dec 2008, 21:04
Sorry all....
It's my ancient heap, which has as much trouble with running Firefox (with AdBlock) properly, as it has with ads.
AdBlock only works for recent browsers, and my favourite is not among them.
Issue closed.
I may be back once I've quadrupled my RAM and octupled my hard disk :ugh:

CJ

NZScion
18th Dec 2008, 22:59
Christiaan, you can always give Privoxy (http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/346567-google-chrome.html#post4453026) a go, it works with IE, Firefox and Chrome (and probably other browsers) and you get no ads :)

BlooMoo
18th Dec 2008, 23:47
how much does PPRuNe cost to run? I realise it's big, but wouldn't a euro/pound/dollar/yen/dinar/naira a year from each member (via PayPal) solve that?

It would CJ, as the cost of operating the resultant online forum with a total of a couple of hundred page views per month across about 5 members would be of the order of my youngest's sweet shop budget.

Remember after the new owners of Pprune experimented with forcing everyone to log-in? - i.e. no anonymous guest access - didn't last long did it? - clickthru stats are not the friend of those the piper pays when those stats don't get over the 'OK I'll pay' bar.

If you rely on choice in the land of the internet then it seems a pretty much 'death or cake' debate i.e. no-brainer - why pay or even register for something that you can get elsewhere for completely free?

The BBC for example get by (for now) with the cunning use of state legislation to force on pain of criminality an extortionate levy on every household in the (UK) land to fund their provision of 'service' regardless of whether anyone would actually be a buyer. However, I don't think Prune carries that kind of political weight and influence, they're stuck with the free market.

Mind you, had they tried the subscription gambit a year ago, they would still have failed financially but maybe could have got into the bailout queue a bit nearer the front.

gingernut
19th Dec 2008, 08:36
Some of the ads on Medical & Health do worry me slightly.

For example, there is a thread currently concerned with "blood in the urine."

In the very least, this condition needs assessment , by someone medical.

Next to a response is an add for "natural cure for kidney."

Dangerous ground on which we're treading.

Peter Fanelli
19th Dec 2008, 12:10
Ad Blocker Software - Ad Muncher (http://www.admuncher.com/)

Sallyann1234
19th Dec 2008, 12:19
Or there is this:
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File (http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm)

which is simple, effective and free.

mr fish
19th Dec 2008, 22:35
sorry to burst any bubbles but a friend of my wife is "involved" in the adult phone call industry, she has a wonderful telephone voice but, bloody hell shes a moose!!!
however, i understand she has picked up a nice line in "fruity lingo" and now has a working knowledge of some seriously pervy practices!!!
p.s, i got this info from my wife, NOT from running up my phone bill:eek:

gingernut
20th Dec 2008, 02:34
have you gott'er number?