PDA

View Full Version : Qantas/BA Merger Fails

packrat
18th Dec 2008, 06:24
News Networks are reporting the failure of the BA/Qantas merger citing irreconcilable differences.
Surprise Surprise.
Qantas should talk to Iberian and JAL

blackhander
18th Dec 2008, 07:56
Good.
Too many levels of management already and $4 billion in pension liabilities isn't very enticing

QF22
18th Dec 2008, 09:18
Lets just hope QF/MAS talks also goes the same way !

Kangaroo Court
18th Dec 2008, 09:36
They could buy an American carrier...I hear they're all for sale pretty cheap right now.

QFinsider
18th Dec 2008, 09:51
Naturally the talks had to take place and the share price had to be played with for the geniuses to realises what liabilities BA actually have. Of course had they actually trawled through the publicly available information instead of meeting with 'free willy' in HK they could have saved the blessed shareholders $$$....

QF management the smartest guys in the room........

el_capitano
18th Dec 2008, 11:12
I would have a better chance of finding a virgin in a maternity ward b4 a QF & BA merger would occur.

Good way to get the share price to rise though. Now QF are looking at Malaysian Airlines, while there at it Aeroflot is going for 2 cases of vodka, QF should look at such merger, Aeroflots route structure would be very appealing to the QF board.
:ok:

Eastwest Loco
18th Dec 2008, 12:03
Oh - El Capitano

The last thing the Great White Rat need is an association with Aeroflot. Huge network - abysmal safety record.

I do notice that on routes into the Russian Federation that the SU connectors actually get as much precedence as do those with BA connectors.

As for the failed merger - Bloody good show old boy. BA were obviously looking for a light in the midst of a world of gloom.

QF aint perfect, but they are just about perfect enough for me at the moment as I can talk to them, they help my clients through the Platinum call centre and extremely good Aussie based staff (for now and hopefully forever) and despite outsourcing engineering and IT services mostly employ Aussies.

BA have a call centre in Mumbai, and are about as much fun to deal with as a proctologist with a bad attitude.

This merger crash and burn is excellent.

Good thing!

Best all, and the best for Christmas and New Year to all PPRuNers. Thank you for your company, advice and stirring over the last year.

EWL

Ron

Transition Layer
18th Dec 2008, 14:20
QF shares up 7.5%, BA down almost 5% in early trading (since recovered to about 1% down).

Says it all really about who had the most to gain from this merger.

Dragun
18th Dec 2008, 19:31
TL

Agreed!!

lowerlobe
18th Dec 2008, 21:36
How much money was spent on overseas meetings....airfares....hotels....limo's....food....booze etc....

This couldn't have been done with video conferencing could it?

Eastwest Loco...I think you'll find that el-capitano was being facetious....hence the 2 cases of vodka.

teresa green
19th Dec 2008, 01:09
El Capitano, er, the virgin birth is suppose to happen on the 25th of this month. My wife has no trouble with that, its just the "three wise men" she has trouble with. Glad nothing came of it, you will never get a pom and a aussie to agree on anything, cricket, football etc, and especially airline running. As I said before in a previous posting the poms attitude of "be reasonable do it my way" and the aussies of "get nicked" was never going to make for a happy marriage. Cathey is probably the best choice, if QF have really got to do it at all, or our cousins across the ditch. Both good performers, well maintained A/C and live in the same street so to speak.

sthaussiepilot
19th Dec 2008, 10:08
This could be a very stupid idea... but....Anyway a merger with Virgin could work????

Clipped
19th Dec 2008, 10:23
News of the failed deal, which is said to have been pushed by chairman Leigh Clifford and former CEO Geoff Dixon but supported less enthusiastically by Mr Joyce, is likely to cause little surprise.

I wonder if they might have thought the merger could have meant a dinner with Her Royal Highness.

Perhaps, a a a Sir Geoff or a Sir Leigh ... nahhh.

Eastwest Loco
19th Dec 2008, 10:23
Thanks lowerlobe.

I guess I just did the full Jack Newton on that one, but nothing would amaze me anymore.

Have been fighting with a web page building engine for over a week and brain is ready for a padded room.

The strange thing is that the SU connectors do usually come up before the BA connectors on a SYD MOW availability.

Best all

EWL