PDA

View Full Version : Want a Disaster? Add Ice and Stir!

V2-OMG!
18th Dec 2008, 06:14
ICE......sank the Titanic
ICE......blew-up the Challenger
ICE......on the wings sends a chill down any pilot's back.
And...
ICE.....causes a ski-gondola tower to collapse in Whistler, B.C., the site of the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Man, I hate riding in any gondola, and I'm going to like it less now. I feel so vulnerable in those dangly cages, swinging and swaying in the wind. Give me an airplane any day!

Yesterday dozens of skiers were hurt when a gondola-tower pole collapsed at Whistler, which caused their gondolas to drop like a washing machine. According to the inspectors, ice formed in the joints where the pole had been welded and bolted causing the separation in a phenomena known as "ice-jacking."

And right now I'm listening to the local news on the television, and two people have been killed in traffic accidents due to black ice on the road.

Add ice to any mode of transportation - a deadly cocktail.

Parapunter
18th Dec 2008, 06:15
Not easy taking a plane ride to the top of the piste though...

V2-OMG!
18th Dec 2008, 06:18
Not easy taking a plane ride to the top of the piste though...

Piste? What's that? As in, "I got piste/pissed in the apre ski bar last night?"

hardhatter
18th Dec 2008, 06:26
Bank at Ice-save and lose all your money!

:sad:

ShyTorque
18th Dec 2008, 06:28
which caused their gondolas to drop like a washing machine.

We've had washing machines for donkey's years and I've never seen one drop but surely, washing machines should never be allowed to go skiing.

V2-OMG!
18th Dec 2008, 06:38
Don't think I've ever heard of a dropping washing machine, let alone seen one...

You should sit in the back for my next flying lesson then, 'cause I hear it all the time from my instructor. "AIRSPEED! AIRSPEED! WATCH YOUR AIRSPEED OR YOU'LL DROP 'ER LIKE A WASHING MACHINE!!!!"

ArthurR
18th Dec 2008, 08:42
Whilst involved in de-icing tests on a certain (then) British Bis Jet, ( the numbers 3,4,6,7,8,9,0. where not involved). After one particular flight following a heavy build up of ice on the leading edge, the pilot remarked,
" it handled alot better with the ice "

corsair
18th Dec 2008, 09:25
Don't worry Arthur you can mention it's name. It built by the Americans these days.

Parapunter
18th Dec 2008, 09:29
Add ice to any mode of transportation - a deadly cocktail.

Tell that to Herman Maier:p