PDA

View Full Version : Would TC help serve Tea & Coffee?

Kamelchaser
17th Dec 2008, 02:56
I was recently on an AirNZ domestic flight, and by coincidence was seated next to an old friend of mine who is now the CEO of Air New Zealand.

At top of climb, he excused himself as he said he'd promised the crew that he would help out with the tea and coffee service. He spent the rest of the flight serving every passenger on the aircraft!

Marvelous stuff. I wonder if TC would ever consider doing the same and actually showing a bit of humility?

Rob, (ANZ CEO), also mentioned he spends one day a month working in some department within the company, just to meet the staff and get a real feel for what's happening at the coal face.

I also have to say he's done a great job working with the families of the victims of the A320 crash of the coast of France.

Pity we don't have such inspirational leadership here at EK.

mini cooper
17th Dec 2008, 08:21
At Virgin Atlantic they had a 'back to the shop floor day' once a year. The 'bearded wonder' - Branson, helped out on check in or somewhere else he could do no damage but looked good, the head of engineering got down to the hangar or went on the line to get his hands dirty and help the maintainers, the head of cabin services put on a cabin crew uniform and did a trip helping in the cabin, head of cargo got to load up freight etc etc. Maybe a bit of cheap PR but all the managers did it, it showed willing, they had fun (as it was only one day) and at least they got to see what everyone does when at work..............
Can't see Griffiths in a cabin crew uniform serving tea and coffee or in fact any of the other 'executive president vice wondrous people' even finding the shop floor let alone helping out...............if they did maybe they would understand what actually goes on outside EGHQ, it might even help morale..........................just thought!

louelsiedubai
17th Dec 2008, 23:29
Would any snr mgt in EK actually 'walk the talk' because if they did that they might have to walk back in the plane to see the economy cabin (and that has never happened)- which is obviously such a poor experience you would never want to venture there! And if you actually did that as a Snr Mgr you might have to talk to the people back there who obviously had no right talking to someone Facetious post but sadly true

Bring on the likes of RB - at least he knows who his crew are

Fart Master
18th Dec 2008, 01:30
TCTC wouldn't even know how to hold a tea/coffee pot........ Pr*ck:bored:

White Knight
18th Dec 2008, 03:17
TCTC - that's good!!!:}

bigmountain
18th Dec 2008, 08:38
Hey guys

Its all fun to have such gestures whether practical or otherwise.. We would all appreciate the senior people to come down and help.
The point of the matter is that the management at Emirates are actually doing what their brief is .ie they manage to bring in a profit year in and year out, inspite of such adverse economic conditions. . The product by enlarge is accepted to be of a high standard while providing its customers a safe and efficient service. It all helps morale if the CEO comes down to work with the lads ,Im sure. But it does not help ,if at the end of the day you (company} end up with a loss and a hole in your pocket .
Personally I would appreciate an opportunity to have a chat or to play a team sport with a senior management member where the enviornment is more relaxed and not comprimising the work. Apart from being slated as as a PR stunt it can be a source for for litigation as it can be seen to affecting safet ,where you apparentlly have a non trained staff in the cabin moving about serving fare passengers and fumbling with the china.
The point of travelling incognito in the the economy cabin or perhaps working along other areas of the department is not a bad idea, as it will serve to provide direct feedback to the the policy makers with regards to some of the problems and difficulties being faced by customers and staff alike.

Nevertheless the CEO of Air Newzealands gesture of helping out with the Tea and Coffee will have succeeded in bringing in quite a few positive repsonses from the passengers as well as the staff.

With initials of TC (Tea Coffee} TIM CLARK should not have a problem at all in serving his passengers.

Cheers BM

grdproxinop
18th Dec 2008, 09:17
" Apart from being slated as as a PR stunt it can be a source for for litigation as it can be seen to affecting safet ,where you apparentlly have a non trained staff in the cabin moving about serving fare passengers and fumbling with the china. "

FYI, Rob Fyfe also put himself and a few of the other top management personal through the full cabin crew training course for this very reason.

fourgolds
18th Dec 2008, 10:49
never mind tea and coffee , i would be happy if our leaders just answered their emails.

L1011
18th Dec 2008, 12:47
There was a time, in a happier if less profitable company, where the Boss of IFS (DF) would work the economy galley by himself. He was 60+ years old at the time and he did an excellent job.

Doubt the present bosses of IFS know where anything is stored in the galley and at least one of them wouldn't fit in it. On the other hand neither of our fearless Flight Ops leaders can fly any of our aircraft.:rolleyes:

What to do? (That's Jingly for - "if you don't like it - leave")

latetonite
18th Dec 2008, 14:16
Years ago, I was flying on a Virgin Atlantic flight to the U.S.
I was at time a few thousand hours turboprob captain.
Then there is a guy in jeans who comes sit next to me and and ask if and how he could improve service. Me, sleepy, ignored him and wanted him to move. He did.
A gentleman next to me asked if I realised who this man was. Me said no, he said: Richard Branson. Ok, never heard of him, I said.
Now I know who he was, is and, yep, some times I regret this event. This guy made it real. I wish I was working for him now.:ok:

BYMONEK
21st Dec 2008, 12:05
Was it only last year that we're all moaning about that crappy on line leadership course and how there might be occassions when an offer to help the crew in the cabin may help us lead by example?

How we all thought what a crock of ****. Pilots helping out in the cabin.............yet now we are quick to slate the VP's for not doing it. :confused:

baob2oba
21st Dec 2008, 16:23
KG ? Kinder Garden ?