PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Pubs

XV490
16th Dec 2008, 14:10
An earlier thread I started about RAF Bovingdon has, with a moderator's encouragement, turned into this new thread about pubs - specifically, those with photos/memorabilia associated with local airfields, and especially the little known ones.

Thanks, Evileyes, for the invitation. I'll get the ball rolling with a few of the obvious ones such as a couple of 'named' hostelries:

The Douglas Bader (Martlesham) - photos, memorabilia etc. inside
The Flying Fortress (near Rougham airfield) - ditto
The Dambusters Inn (Scampton) - ditto

Off the beaten track, I've found quite a few photographic gems - for example, the huge photo mural in the Chequers pub (near Matching airfield) of a B26 dropping bombs - hardly PC, I'd have thought, among the contemporary decor in such a cosmopolitan establishment. But bless 'em for keeping it there and I hope it lasts.

Then there's the famous Eagle in Cambridge, with its signed ceilings. In Lavenham, don't miss the bar at The Swan with its panel of signatures. Elsewhere in southern East Anglia, there's the Western Arms in Silver End (memorial outside and much inside linked to Rivenhall's history).

Off the top of my head - last time I was at White Horse in Great Waldingfield, it boasted a fine collection of paintings depicting the US 486th Bomb Group at nearby Sudbury airfield. And another White Horse, at Ridgewell, has a collection of photos etc. about the 381st Bomb Group.

There are many other such watering holes in East Anglia, some of which I've visited without remembering their exact details (hic). Across the country there are hundreds of others; some with just a photo or two and others with named bars, tributes and whole collections of nostalgic stuff. So it's over to you all to let us know where they are!

VictorGolf
16th Dec 2008, 15:08
A couple for your pubs/airfield thread. The Woodman at Nuthampstead has photographs of the USAAF B-17s and a fine memorial in the carpark. Although I haven't been for some time and it has changed hands, the Chequers at Fowlmere had photos of aircraft based at Duxford and Fowlmere. There are photographs of more recent Duxford based aircraft at the Duxford Lodge Hotel.

aw ditor
16th Dec 2008, 16:04
The "Three Horseshoes" at Graveley (the one near St.Neots. Cambs.) Airfield plan and photos of Pathfinder Lancasters / Mosquitos and crews.

K.Whyjelly
16th Dec 2008, 16:48
I'm thousands of miles from home so don't have the book to hand ,but I'm sure somebody will remind me of that pub near Biggin Hill with all the B of B fighter pilots signatures.

BEagle
16th Dec 2008, 18:05
I'm thousands of miles from home so don't have the book to hand ,but I'm sure somebody will remind me of that pub near Biggin Hill with all the B of B fighter pilots signatures

That'd be the White Hart at Brasted.

Sadly, the blackout screen with all those signatures is no longer there. I think that it might now be at the Shoreham museum?

*Zwitter*
16th Dec 2008, 18:11
The famouse blackout screen is here
The Shoreham Aircraft Museum (http://www.shoreham-aircraft-museum.co.uk/)

treadigraph
16th Dec 2008, 19:56
Well, here's a query for a start... when I was knee-high to a wotsit in abaht 1970, en-route Penzance to Llwyngwril by road we passed a pub called the Happy Landings with a Westland Belvedere gracing the sign. It had to be a Belvedere cos it was twin rotor and RAF, and the Chinook was still a good dozen years off in RAF service...

Anyway it has remained fixed in me mind, so, anyone recall this pub and where it was?

I've always pictured it somewhere around Weston-super-Mare, but that may be the museum connection. Someone is going to say Yeovil - yes we did the trip up the A30 to London several times as well - and I recall stopping off at the new FAAM in 1971 probably so maybe I am confusing different trips.

mickq
16th Dec 2008, 21:19
There is a fine booklet "Aeronautical Pubs & Inns of Britain" by Smith & Ellis that covers this topic. It's dated 1996 so it's assumed many pubs could be added. What a wonderful subject!

beamender99
17th Dec 2008, 00:55
The Bell, Cotton End (http://www.pub-explorer.com/olpg/the-bell/cottonend/index.htm)

The newest associated aviation brew must surely be:-
(The brewery’s first commercial brew, )
First Flight, is a 3.7 per cent hoppy bitter with“a smooth finish and a hint of caramel”.The name is partly a referenceto the nearby Cranfield Airport but was also chosen because Alan’s father-inlawis a qualified pilot.
The plant is currently brewing First Flight everyweek, but continuing experiments make it almost certain that a second bitter and a special Christmas porter will be available for the festive season.

For further information about White Park Brewery
or to order some beer, call 01234 721383 or mobile 07757 086306
, or visit the new website
at www.whiteparkbrewery.co.uk (http://www.whiteparkbrewery.co.uk)

White Park Brewery (Beers) (http://www.whiteparkbrewery.co.uk/beers.htm)
shows the label of Cranfield and First Flight

John Hill
17th Dec 2008, 02:00
There is the Aileron Hotel and Roadhouse - Located 132 kilometres north of Alice Springs, Australia. I guess it had something to do with aviation?

WHBM
17th Dec 2008, 07:30
That'd be the White Hart at Brasted.

Sadly, the blackout screen with all those signatures is no longer there
However, there are several facsimilies of the signed screen and other artwork about its Biggin Hill WW2 connections, so still plenty to see. Strangely, it seems a long way from Biggin for the chaps to have gone there regularly during the war. It's a worthwhile place to stop, on the old A25, particularly in the summer when you can sit out in the large back garden. I use it as a personal "holding point" when driving family members to Gatwick, stopping for lunch if we haven't been delayed.

WHBM
17th Dec 2008, 07:42
Well, here's a query for a start... when I was knee-high to a wotsit in abaht 1970, en-route Penzance to Llwyngwril by road we passed a pub called the Happy Landings with a Westland Belvedere gracing the sign. It had to be a Belvedere cos it was twin rotor and RAF
Strangely, Treadders, I was just about to write about this myself because at a comparable age I passed this daily going to school, and would look from my front upstairs seat in the bus at that sign. It is on the A37 Wells Road in Bristol at the junction with Airport Road. Now there was no airport near there by this time, but Airport Road led to the old Bristol airfield at Whitchurch. It was a local reference point, passengers in the bus would ask for "The Happy Landings"

Streetmap.co.uk- search results for 360850,169952 (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/oldmap.srf?x=360850&y=169952&z=110&sv=360850,169952&st=4)

I've never been inside it as we moved away from Somerset long before I was able to !

There's a bit of an -ahem- unfortunate review of it here

Happy Landings, Hengrove, Bristol, BS14 9DL - pub details # beerintheevening.com (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/10/10410/Happy_Landings/Hengrove)

JEM60
17th Dec 2008, 08:37
The MARQUIS CORNWALLIS at Chedburgh, in Suffolk where I now live. Chedburgh was a Lancaster/Stirling/Halifax base during the war with Polish Squadrons. Indeed, there is a War Memorial to the Squadrons in the village, near to the pub. Photos of crews and aircraft line the walls. Just off the A143, halfway between Bury St. Edmunds and Haverhill.

dakkg651
17th Dec 2008, 08:49
When I was at Middle Wallop a few weeks ago and having read 'Night Fighter' again recently, I decided to go and have a pint in the Feathers. This is mentioned in the book as being the 600 sqn mess in 1940. Unfortunately I was greeted by boarded up doors and windows. It was obvious that the place had closed fairly recently. Anyone know if this is a permanent closure?

XV490
17th Dec 2008, 09:00
The Three Compasses at Aldenham (<h2>The Three Compasses</h2> (http://www.thethreecompasses.com)) claims to have been the Black Swan in the film 633 Squadron.

Which makes me wonder - where is the fictitious Jackdaw pub that appeared in The Battle of Britain?

WHBM
17th Dec 2008, 09:33
Which makes me wonder - where is the fictitious Jackdaw pub that appeared in The Battle of Britain?
Not fictitious, but real ...

Jackdaw Inn, Denton, Kent:: OS grid TR2147 :: Geograph British Isles - photograph every grid square! (http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/86546)

edskarf
17th Dec 2008, 10:09
The Happy Landings in Bristol is actually at the junction of the A37 Wells Road and Hengrove Lane. It is not a public house I would readily visit.

The pub sign currently shows what appears to be a maritime patrol Bristol Beaufort.

treadigraph
17th Dec 2008, 12:37
Cheers WHBM and edskarf - well identified! Might give it a miss then next time I'm in Bristol! I guess we must have driven up the A30/A303 to Yeovil then up the A37. I presume the M5 didn't exist as far down as Exeter then.

Have been to the Jackdaw at Denton a few years ago, remember the menu was good. Not so impressed with the White hart at Brasted despite the memorabilia, too Pubco for my liking.

Other pubs:

One on the A40 near Little Rissington which has a lot of photos celebrating local association with the Red Arrows;
The Jail Inn near Biggin has quite a few photos but I haven't been there for a while and can't remember what they are of!
Also one in northern Eastbourne (the Star?) which had a lot of RAF photos on display but there are no local airfields that I can think of - perhaps the Landlord was ex RAF? Visited it about 10 years ago, must have been a Harveys pub.

MELLYMELL
17th Dec 2008, 15:55
St George And The Dragon at Clyst St George near Exeter airport.Used to have the signatures of aircrew based at Exeter during WW2,dont know if they are still there (The signatures not the aircrew).

grizzled
17th Dec 2008, 16:10
"Biggles" in the Millenium Airport Hotel, Dubai. Though of course it's not a stand-alone pub, it's the closest one can come to that in The Gulf.
Lots of memorabilia, photos, medals, and model RAF aircraft --including a 1/3 scale Sopwith Camel suspended from the ceiling. The highlight for some is the airman (fullsize), also suspended from the ceiling, hung up in his chute.

XV490
17th Dec 2008, 16:16
I've just read that a hostelry called The Airfield is 'the least violent pub in Hatfield'. Quite a recommendation.

Has anyone ventured in? I was wondering if it was full of photos of the old de Havilland/Hawker Siddeley site opposite?

Flap40
17th Dec 2008, 21:13
I used to stay at the Comet Hotel when I went to the 146 sim in Hatfield. Before it was extended it made the outline of an aircraft.

There is a good Pub in Kirmington village next to Humberside airport that had loads of old photo's etc last time I was there. I don't know the name but it is on the south side of the high street about 200yds from the western end of the village.

V2-OMG!
18th Dec 2008, 03:56
Unfortunately, Idlewylde in New York City changed its decor and name after 9/11, but it was designed to look like the interior of a Boeing 707 and the servers were dressed as circa 1960s stewardesses, flight crew etc.

Kelly's Bar in Key West, Florida is housed in the original Pan Am building, and features some Pan Am memorabilia. The "Crash Bar" is crafted from an airplane wing. Terrible food, but is a good place for airplane buffs to sip a "Clipper cocktail."

JEM60
18th Dec 2008, 06:11
KELLY'S BAR in Key West is/was owned by Kelly Mcgillis. Good food when I was there.

BEagle
18th Dec 2008, 06:46
I presume the M5 didn't exist as far down as Exeter then.

Correct, Tredders, the M5 in the land of Scrumpy and Western opened in stages throughout the early 1970s. See CBRD - Motorway Database - M5 - Timeline (http://www.cbrd.co.uk/motorway/m5/timeline.shtml) for the precise timeline.

Perhaps you took the A38 from Exeter via Taunton if you went near Weston super Mare, rather than staying on the A303 all the way to Yeovil?

Did you use the 'African Queen' - the old Aust-Beachley ferry? Or was the Severn bridge open by then? I recall several journeys on that rickety old thing!

Car journeys took for ever in the South West before the advent of the motorways, it seems!

Sorry for the thread drift.

There's a pub somewhere near Pocklington, British North Humberside, which I recall having some interesting old aviation photos.

treadigraph
18th Dec 2008, 07:23
Cheers BEags. Looking at my road atlas If we'd taken the A38 I don't think we'd have passed the pub. Definitely went over the bridge on that occasion - I see it opened in '66! I can also remember visiting the gliding club at the Long Mynd which must have been on the way to Grannies or the way back. My dad didn't drink so we never went in to pubs that I can recall. Don't know where I got my bad habits from...!

Back to topic, there used to be a Spitfire Inn at Leominster with a real Spitfire outside (presumably), does anyone remember it? I can't get into my usual warbird data source to check the serial (Net Nanny is being a right b*tch today) but I think the Spit went to the USA and I'd assume the pub has been renamed or is no more.

Edit:

Net Nanny has croaked! This is the Spitfire (http://www.warbirdregistry.org/spitregistry/spitfire-td135.html)...

XV490
15th Feb 2009, 16:19
Anyone know of some good pubs in Lincs and Yorks with any aviation memorabilia still displayed? I'm keen to visit a few before - given the current closure rate - they shut for good. Especially interested in any linked to Bomber Command stations.

Bye
15th Feb 2009, 17:37
the Tipperrary near to RAF Honiley ( disused ).

Cracking little pub with lots of squadron and airfield photo's and stuff on the walls.

Pub is on the main road between Balsall Common and Warwick just near to Honiley village.

summertime is nice in the garden as its under the approach to Brum.

mines a pint

Geoff

Get me some traffic
15th Feb 2009, 20:58
There's a pub at Tattershall Thorpe (near Conningsby) called The Blue Bell (I think). It's on the road between Tattershall and Woodhall Spa. Full of memorabilia. There's the Petwood Hotel in Woodhall Spa, once the OM for 617sqn. It used to have part of an "upkeep" in the grounds as well as interesting displays inside.

At Tees-side Airport formerly Middleton St George, the St George Hotel is the old OM. There's a memorial outside with a statue of Myanarski VC, plus some pictures inside.

hurn
15th Feb 2009, 21:34
There's a pub on Canford Heath in Poole, Dorset called the 'Fighter Pilot.'

Used to have some old wartime memorabilia around the place, but I haven't visited it in years.

The roads in the surrounding area were named after fighter pilots too if I recall correctly.

Tim00
15th Feb 2009, 21:38
The Blue Bell at Tattershall Thorpe had several pictures when I was last there (20 years ago). I have a large framed photo of the chaps of 106 on & around a Lancaster which my father bought from the the landlord there many years ago (my dad was a wartime nav with 106 & is in the pic. Part of the undercarriage from a Hampden crash which he survived on takeoff from Woodhall Spa was for many years on display at the small museum behind the Prattington Arms at Coningsby).

The Petwood Hotel in Woodhall Spa has the 617 memorial bar.
Phew, my first pprune post. I'll try for wit if I manage another.

T-21
16th Feb 2009, 05:38
There is the "Tiger Moth" at Brickhill,Bedford, used to be lots of airship photos in "The Bell" at Cotton End near Cardington. Also "The Airmen" and "The Parachute" pubs at Henlow.

Wod
16th Feb 2009, 06:25
The Happy Landings in Bristol is actually at the junction of the A37 Wells Road and Hengrove Lane.

As a piece of aviation trivia, when Heathrow opened, and BOAC recentralised a host of dispersed functions into the new airport, they built a Staff Housing estate at Stanwell to accomodate people moving from all over. Some of these people came from Bristol (Whitchurch) including my dad. The pub built in the new estate is called "The Happy Landings" after the Hengrove one.

Kronenburg
16th Feb 2009, 15:14
I think the pub near Pocklington which BEags mentions is the Plough at Allerthorpe which has connections with wartime ops at Elvington.

oncemorealoft
16th Feb 2009, 15:21
Back in the late 70s early 80s I came across a pub in a village south of Coventry which. on the walls of bar/lounge, had the most amazing collection of black & white photographs of post-war British prototype and experimental aircraft, including -- if my memory is correct -- the prone pilot Gloster Meteor and the AW Apollo.

I can't recall the name or the village although the Green Dragon seems to ring a bell.

Love to know where it was and if it's still worth a visit.

Double Zero
19th Feb 2009, 20:45
The 'Three Compasses' near Alfold, Surrey, - take the Alfold turn off the A281 then go immediate right, keep straight on - is an honest little pub, outside the 'Compasses Gate' of Dunsfold Aerodrome ( which is not open to public access, though if you walk up to the gate you can see an immaculate, static condition Sea Hawk, sadly wasted away from public display ).

Neville Duke's old house, mentioned in 'Test Pilot' may be glimpsed just beyond the gate, to the right.

The security lot are mostly ex-Hawkers / BAe and will not machine gun you on approach to look & maybe chat !

The pub is pleasant & beamy with a lot of Dunsfold memorabilia, and last time I went, a good, reasonably priced menu.

It's a country style place, about 200 yrs old, originally built for the Navvies building the Wey & Arun canal, which runs alongside ( partly overgrown ).

aw ditor
20th Feb 2009, 10:51
The 3 Horsehoes at Graveley St. Neots, PE19 6PL, good eats' and beer. Photos of PFF Squadrons and airfield plans of FIDO equipped RAF Graveley. Last used by the Varsitys' of 5FTS Oakington as an RLG in 1964.

groundfloor
20th Feb 2009, 11:00
If in Johannesburg Hi Flyers just south of OR Tambo or in Nairobi The East African Flying Club at Wilson Airport is a winner!:ok:

parabellum
20th Feb 2009, 12:03
When I was at Middle Wallop a few weeks ago and having read 'Night Fighter' again recently, I decided to go and have a pint in the Feathers. This is mentioned in the book as being the 600 sqn mess in 1940. Unfortunately I was greeted by boarded up doors and windows. It was obvious that the place had closed fairly recently. Anyone know if this is a permanent closure?

When I was at Wallop there was a pub not far from the Junction of the A303 and the A30, thought it was called The Pheasant, had few beers there in the mid sixties, several tables with the names, dates, Sqn etc. etc. carved into them and cherished.

XV490
20th Feb 2009, 15:29
Anyone know if David Tallichet's WWII-themed bar and eaterie is still at Atlanta's Peachtree-Dekalb airport?

And if you're ever in NE Suffolk (UK), don't miss the CAMRA-approved Buck at Flixton - the vestibule to the excellent Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum (should you make it that far).

Rigga
21st Feb 2009, 18:46
The Stormy Petrel on the A41 - opposite the gates of (what was) RAF Tern Hill, used to contain a really interesting toilet(!!!)

The Gents (I dont know about the Ladies) used to have bespoke 1930's (Post WW1 in any case) aircraft tiles. Trouble was, you'd be busy looking down when in there!

We all expected the Grunts to rip it apart as soon as they saw it - but who knows what happened to them? (the Tiles)

As you may guess, I haven't been there for some while.

Used to be rough as hell (Coach parties allowed - if you dare) but the Landlord (Jan - a Pole) was nice and funny company (and he'd cash a Cheque!)

Rigga

Dan Winterland
22nd Feb 2009, 02:20
Trader Jon's in Pensacola was one of the great aviation bars of the world. It had a massive amount of memorabilia on the walls. When the owner had a stroke a couple of years ago, the US Naxy Tailhook association had a collection to try and buy it and keep it going, but it wasn't successful. Apparently, all the memorabilia is now in the Navy museum at Pensacola NAS. A set of my wings should be in there.

om15
22nd Feb 2009, 12:42
There is a "Happy Landings" at Guernsey airport, I spent a few happy months staying there in 1980, ( It was called the Forest Hotel at that time), one of the senior LAEs I worked with had been posted there as a rigger on Avro Ansons in 1939, he told me that they used to cut through the hedge from the airfield at lunchtimes and drink a pint of Gin and Orange- then go back to work, he told me that it was the Luftwaffe HQ during the war. It does not contain any aviation trinkets, but just opposite is a small musuem with a number of props/engines and other bits that were recovered by the local fishermen.

BR om15

ljstuder
22nd Feb 2009, 13:40
Years ago stationed at RAF Alconbury near Huntingdon, I visited a pub about 30 miles west of the airfield. I believe it was next to what was left of RAF Grafton Underwood or RAF Thrapston. The tradition was that the night before a mission, Aircrew would place coins in nooks in the fireplace and if they lived through it, they would buy drinks with the coins the next night. I noted that there were many coins still stuck in the fireplace. It left an indelible impression on me. I can't believe I forgot where and what the name of the pub was. Does anyone know of this pub and where it's at?

merlinxx
22nd Feb 2009, 17:41
Yup tis still there check 57th Fighter Group Restaurant (http://www.57thfightergrouprestaurant.com). Have heard that the standard of nosh has got down a tad.:ok:

brakedwell
24th Feb 2009, 15:57
Well, here's a query for a start... when I was knee-high to a wotsit in abaht 1970, en-route Penzance to Llwyngwril by road we passed a pub called the Happy Landings with a Westland Belvedere gracing the sign. It had to be a Belvedere cos it was twin rotor and RAF, and the Chinook was still a good dozen years off in RAF service...

It was a Bristol Belvedere. Apologies for the poor quality image extracted from an old 8mm film shot at Thumier in the Radfan during Xmas 1964

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/Picture1-3.png

skua
24th Feb 2009, 20:17
I should state that I only buy Flypast magazine once in a blue moon!

However I have kept a booklet that came with the Oct 1994 edition, called "An introduction to aeronautical pubs & inns of Britain". It concentrates on those with an aviation name, rather than some of the more interesting - aircrew-related - ones mentioned above. It starts with the Harrier (Gunthorpe, Peterborough) on the cover, and ends with the Vulcan (Merthyr Tydfil).

Skua

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
1st Mar 2009, 21:16
Regarding Happy Landings, Brizzle, drove past today (the location) and there was no sign of it.

XV490
8th Mar 2009, 18:54
Having started this thread, I think its remit should be extended to include pubs that were, simply, used by the whole flying community locally - e.g. the popular watering holes near airfields - regardless of whether or not those boozers commemorate their patrons.

The RAF must have kept many of these places in business! So there must be many pub-night stories that rival those of blitzing the various on-base messes! Over to you...

kevmusic
8th Mar 2009, 20:11
The Ferry Inn, at Horning, Norfolk, was used by wartime pilots from Coltishall. A notable event occured one evening when a group of pilots including (I think) R. S. Tuck had finished their drinks and left. An hour or so later, the pub was hit by a bomb, resulting in several fatalities.

Lower Hangar
8th Mar 2009, 20:54
The Coulard at Lossie - I don't know or re-call of any sailor stationed at Lossie (HMS Fulmar) who didn't have a pint or two in the 'Coulie' before catching the bus into Elgin for the Tower, Criterion, Happy Hind , and eventually the 2 Red Shoes - ( " you're not carrying any alcoholic liquor are you sir " )

dash7fan
13th Mar 2009, 10:57
If you are in Prague one day try the Wings club:

www.wingsclub.cz (http://www.wingsclub.cz)

treadigraph
13th Mar 2009, 13:09
Re the Ferry Inn incident, according to "Fly for Your Life" Bob Tuck felt the need to leave the pub and tried to get other pilots form the Coltishall squadrons to drive in to Norwich with him. They stayed, he and his girlfriend left, a number of piliots, other RAF staff and local civillians died.

kevmusic
13th Mar 2009, 20:05
That's it. It's been some years since I read 'Fly For Your Life' but your fleshing-out of the incident makes it even more of a story than I remembered it. (How the hell did a bomb get to land on an out-of-the-way place like the 'Ferry' anyway?:confused:)

Incidentally, ominous news: Ferry Inn - Horning* Norwich* Norfolk (http://www.pub-explorer.com/norfolk/pub/ferryinnhorning.htm) :hmm:

XV490
3rd Jul 2010, 09:57
A TV documentary this week on the RAF's Polish 303 Sqn mentioned their wartime watering hole, the Orchard, in Ruislip. Anyone know if there's anything inside to commemorate those days?

merlinxx
3rd Jul 2010, 12:09
57th Fighter Group, Google it, owned by Pat Epps of Epps Air Service at PDK. Great nosh:ok:

kookabat
4th Jul 2010, 11:02
In Moreton-on-the-Marsh in Gloucestershire is the Wellington Inn - just down the road from the Fire Brigade's training ground on what used to be a wartime OTU.

Was closed when I drove by the other week though.

Ridge Runner
5th Jul 2010, 09:46
A lot of military-orientated watering holes have been mentioned. How about for the civil boys and girls? Would the "Wingspan" at Gatwick qualify for this thread? It has certainly seen a fair few flyers through it's doors over the years (wih many "epaulettes" lost, I'm certain)!

RR

merlinxx
5th Jul 2010, 12:12
Before the (Caledonian) Wing Span by the hangars, there was the BEA Silver Wing club in "Creepy". You could drink in uniform in both.

The only pub/club we had at Gatters was the Aero Club:ok: only place you could drink in uniform, and all companies used it, even though Vic was a DA Skipper.

Bloody Rovers and the boat that didn't ever get to float:ugh:

Anyone remember the night when Butch was pumping up a poodle on the runway and the airport was closed ? Vic was inbound on an Amby and had to overshoot:E

Bloody drink drive laws:{

Ridge Runner
5th Jul 2010, 12:26
Ah yes... The Aero Club!!

merlinxx
6th Jul 2010, 06:30
Pint of Slurp & a banger along with Dee's whinging smile:ok::E

DHfan
7th Jul 2010, 17:07
There's the Barnes Wallis at Howden.

Welcome to the Barnes Wallis Inn Free House (http://www.barneswallisinn.com)

I've not been in for quite a few years, it seemed a bit cliquey then, but according to recent reviews it's OK.

XV490
28th Jul 2010, 07:15
I've been told, by a chap who knows about this sort of thing, that during the 50s/60s there was a notorious licensed premises in a former airfield building (Nissen hut or similar) at Hunsdon, the WWII Mosquito base of Amiens prison fame.

It was suitably furnished with aeronautical bits and pieces, and the proprietor was, allegedly, a tad lax when it came to keeping proper hours.

Can anyone remember the place?

dakkg651
28th Jul 2010, 07:46
Anyone know what is happening to The Feathers on the Andover to Salisbury road. It was the officers mess for John Cunningham's Beaufighter boys from MJiddle Wallop early in the war. The last time I was down at Wallop I noticed the place was all boarded up. Such a shame.

Steve Bond
28th Jul 2010, 10:06
I remember that pub at Hunsdon. there were ejection seats in the bar and what looked like an H2S dome on the roof (I have a photo of it). It was certainly very odd; my visit must have been in around 1970-ish.

Double Zero
28th Jul 2010, 11:31
I would still recommend the 'Three Compasses' just outside the alternative entrance to Dunsfold via the Alfold turnoff on the A281 ( I'm not on commision! ) , with Neville Duke's and other famous pilots, Duncan Simpsson etc, old house in close sight to the right, last time I was there they had a pristine Sea Hawk to the left just beyond the gate; as I mentioned, the security guards are friendly...

I've been in contact with the new owners of the airfield re. blue plaques etc on the house.

There's also a pub I used to go past often near Chilbolton, which I think is called the 'Globe' as it had a huge example outside !

This may be the place a great friend and colleague Charlie Solley mentioned, during the Gnat development they were enjoying a lunchtime pint when a Test Pilot flew over with the aft fuselage on fire, with an unhappy ending - I've never been able to stop and check if there's any memorabillia, but there ought to be.

26er
28th Jul 2010, 17:31
In the fifties there was a favourite watering hole at Chivenor just outside Wrafton railway station called "The Puffin Club" run by Maurice Lucas Wg Cdr Retd. Unfortunately it is now buried under the concrete of the SAR flight.

XV490
31st Jul 2010, 09:27
I remember that pub at Hunsdon. there were ejection seats in the bar and what looked like an H2S dome on the roof (I have a photo of it). It was certainly very odd; my visit must have been in around 1970-ish.
Steve - any chance of a butcher's at that picture?

heated ice detector
31st Jul 2010, 10:09
I seem to remember a fancy dress party at the Bader Arms in Tangmere getting some bad publicity because staff were dressed as Adolf's, lots of brilliant memorabilia though.
Can anyone remind me the name of the pub in Luxembourg full to the gunnel's with aviation stuff, must of had too many black death's.

Rollingthunder
31st Jul 2010, 10:19
The Flying Beaver, YVR, south airport by the float aircraft dock. Kbow the boss and a few others have been there.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2403/3556260690_05d88792e0_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3298/3637476588_efecac828d.jpg

RampTramp
2nd Aug 2010, 08:41
heated ice detector, the pub in LUX was 'The Cockpit'. The main bar was given over to Icelandic aviation memorabilia, including a DC6 or 7 center console, & the restaurant was themed to Icelandic fishing boats etc. The last addition was 'Tony's Bar' for Tony Jonsson - see Biafa & other threads - and the meeting place for the local RAFA branch.

Not sure if it's still going as was taken over by some non aviation people &, as far as I know, ruined but I stand to be corrected.

Cheers,

RT

heated ice detector
2nd Aug 2010, 10:52
Thanks Ramp Tramp,
that Icelandic vodka took its toll

RampTramp
2nd Aug 2010, 11:05
I still have half a bottle in my freezer if you're desperate :yuk:

India Four Two
2nd Aug 2010, 15:55
Rolling Thunder,

A picture of a Beaver on floats is always welcome, but that dock must be a long way north of YVR ;)

brokenlink
5th Aug 2010, 13:26
There is also the Chequers pub in Sutton, Nr Ely, Cambs which has numerous photographs from nearby RAF Mepal airfield.

Also in Ely itself is a Barber Shop displaying some of the press cuttings on a Harvard crash in the city a few years after the war. Seem to recall that it had taken off from RAF Witchford.

flying lid
5th Aug 2010, 19:57
Warrington, Cheshire, on the new development on part of the site of the old USAF Burtonwood airfield is a new(ish) pub named "The Memphis Belle"

Did the actual Memphis Bell fly from Burtonwood in WW2 ?

Lid

DHfan
5th Aug 2010, 23:53
Memphis Belle was based at Bassingbourn but as some/most/all (one of those has to be right...) USAAF aircraft were prepared for UK operations at Burtonwood it's possible.

I moved to only 5 miles or so from Hunsdon in 1970 but sadly the first I heard of the "notorious licensed premises" was a few posts ago.

There was another in the same area (Much Hadham?) with a tenuous aviation connection around that time. The presumably self-styled Craziest Pub in the World had several rows of ex-airliner seats which compared to average pub seating were quite comfortable.

Edit: Googled the crazy pub. It was also in Hunsdon and officially the Turkey Cock.

TechCons
11th Aug 2010, 10:01
"Groundfloor" mentioned the Hi-Flyerz pub in Jo'burg (post #38) - I visited there recently and met the guy who was responsible for purchasing and installing the B747 cockpit inside this pub. The complete cockpit area was cut off of an ex: South African Airways B747-200 (ZS-SAL), transported to the pub and installed half inside / half outside the main bar. Ther are a number of photo's on the bar wall showing the dismantling and removal of the cockpit from the airframe prior to the airframe being scrapped. All of the instrumentation is still there - it is a complete cockpit (it even still smells like an old 747 cockpit!). I would certainly recommend a visit if you are ever in the area.

CargoMatatu
12th Aug 2010, 11:37
The Cockpit in Luxembourg bit the dust a long time ago. Shame really; spent many inebriated hours flying that DC-6 console around!

Opposite the old Cargolux hangar is the "Check Inn". Walls and ceiling covered in photos relating to the history of aviation at Findel airport (mostly Cargolux related).

Matatuman :cool:

zhishengji751
18th Nov 2011, 10:37

When I was at Wallop there was a pub not far from the Junction of the A303 and the A30, thought it was called The Pheasant, had few beers there in the mid sixties, several tables with the names, dates, Sqn etc. etc. carved into them and cherished.

I'm reading the same book, and looking for the pub, it appears that is now closed. I hope the memorabilia got preserved.

East Winterslow - Pheasant Hotel This once busy hotel is now a boarded up shadow of its former self. (http://www.geolocation.ws/v/W/4d6ce549878656122c01d8b4/east-winterslow-pheasant-hotel-this-once/en)

Capetonian
18th Nov 2011, 10:59
The Pantiles in Aldershot or Farnham where Douglas Bader met his wife. Does anyone know what happened to that?

There was also a pub called the Pantiles on the North Circular Road/A406 near the Welsh Harp. One of my school teachers told me that it also had a connection with Douglas Bader but I believe that to be incorrect - like much of what I was taught at school (for a start I haven't gone blind!)

gruntie
18th Nov 2011, 11:11
AFAIK the "Bader" Pantiles was on the A30 at Bagshot. "Was" as I think it was flattened within the last 5 years and a retirement home built on the site.
Additionally I think the relevant scenes in the film were shot "on location" there.

johnwilli
18th Nov 2011, 19:49
Pub used during the Battle of Britain by pilots stationed at Hawkinge, Kent.

Cat and Custard Pot Web-site (http://www.catandcustardpot.co.uk/)

johnbunting
20th Nov 2011, 12:19
I seem to remember a pub at or near Calshot, which had some photos and maybe other memorabilia of the Schneider Trophy races. Anyone know its name?

IslandPilot
20th Nov 2011, 20:29
Airport House, the terminal building of the old Croydon Airport, houses the Rayon d' Or bar and restaurant, called after Air Union's luxury service between Croydon and Le Bourget which began in 1927 and continued in to the 1930's, a historic site indeed which displays memorabilia of the period.

The bar of the adjacent Aerodrome Hotel is sited in the area where the old Pilot's Room used to be, frequented by Imperial Airways crews and Airport staff coming off duty.

Across the Purley Way is the modern but appropriately named Gypsy Moth pub. Up Purley Way towards the Fiveways junctions there used to be a pub called "The Propellor", now unfortunately demolished.

merlinxx
21st Nov 2011, 12:33
I'll let Treaders hold forth on the Gypsy Moth pub. Tis full of "Sarf Lunun Pikeys":mad: And -XL needs a paint job:{

IslandPilot
21st Nov 2011, 19:09
Looks alright from the outside, no experience of the clientel though - prefer the Airport!

XV490
22nd Nov 2011, 07:45
Delighted to see this thread has been woken up again.

Prize for the most understated nod to its wartime watering-hole status has to go to The Fox at Matching Tye (two miles from Striped Shirt) in Essex - a single US Ninth Air Force horse brass (and try saying that after a pint or six).

treadigraph
22nd Nov 2011, 08:13
I'll let Treaders hold forth on the Gypsy Moth

Yes, I well recall we three sitting outside the Gipsy Moth awaiting the Tiger Club's tribute to 50 years of Croydon Closure two years ago - there was a Welshman, a Scotsman and a Cornishman...

I never went to the Propellor, can't imagine it was terribly salubrious in its waining years.

AFAIK the "Bader" Pantiles was on the A30 at Bagshot

I believe that was indeed the case.

TheChitterneFlyer
22nd Nov 2011, 11:55
I seem to remember a pub at or near Calshot, which had some photos and maybe other memorabilia of the Schneider Trophy races. Anyone know its name?

The Flying Boat... indeed, there used to be many photos on the walls from days of old. I believe the pub is now closed.

XV490
22nd Nov 2011, 16:37
I believe the pub is now closed.

A maxim for modern times.

I for one can't afford a pint of bitter priced upwards of £3 - not for a session. Can someone work out for me the inflation on a pub pint since I first started imbibing in earnest in the early seventies?

merlinxx
22nd Nov 2011, 19:50
We nearly had a full set of Celts, and yes I've a Welsh & Cornish flag:ok:

Shame I'll not be at the Stage Door next Sat, shall be on the tear on the Sussex coast's finest little aerodrome:E

Meet soon Old Chap.

IslandPilot
22nd Nov 2011, 21:03
[QUOTE]And -XL needs a paint jobhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/boohoo.gif

It's looking very fresh now:)

GQ2
5th Dec 2011, 15:04
.......I'm glad this thread has come back to life too. Pubs seem to be closing at a prodigious rate....Some years ago, JEJ recommended I try a pub in Saffron Walden as it was a well-known old pilots 'Better Ole'. Sadly, most of the aviation memorabilia had gone and the staff didn't seem to know diddly. In about 1980/'81, I was driving near Coventry, and came across a boozer with an old a/c outside...an Auster as I recall. I think that it was called The Blue Lias, because I remember that I has to look-up what a Lias is/was... Anyway, it was jam-packed with photos all over the walls of wartime RAF aircrew. Sadly, it had just closed, as I think the owner had just passed-away, so I never got to see the full story. Does anyone remember the background to that one...?
Not exactly an aviation themed pub, but.... There is a whole village in Devonshire called 'Pathfinder Village', near Cheriton Bishop. The guy who built the village was....of course, an old Pathfinder pilot. I think that he passed-away some years ago now.
I know that many ex-aircrew tried their hands in the licenced-trade after the war...some rapidly went back to flying too...! :E

gobfa
5th Dec 2011, 15:21
GQ2 is this the one ?

The Blue Lias Inn (http://www.bluelias.com/index.html)

Can't remember seeing any aviation photos last time I was in there

treadigraph
5th Dec 2011, 15:55
GQ2, that set a faint bell tinkling in the memory that one of the surviving Taylorcraft Plus Ds lived outside a Midlands pub many years ago.

GQ2
5th Dec 2011, 15:57
Gobfa;- It's not on my normal parish, and a long time ago...but I think it must be the right place with such an unusual name. Looking on our old friend Google Earth...the a/c was behind where that tall Leylandi hedge is now. Life is full of these little missed opportunities. If only I'd have fund out about it a few years earlier......ho-hum...:sad:
Just found a Link that mentions a Jet being there..here;-http://www.lpmcc.net/rallies/rally_clover.htm
...and a Link to a discussion on another forum in 2007;-http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/archive/index.php?t-67176.html
The Landlord was Wg Cdr 'Sandy' Powell, a retired Test Pilot - I think he has been dead for at least 25yrs, so sounds correct. He published a book;-Powell, Wg Cdr "Sandy" TEST FLIGHT - £15.00
Wingate 1st, 1956; 212pp, 26 photos;.; nr fine, good d/w. Test flying in the 1950's, partly the author's experiences & partly descriptive of the testing function and other test pilots' roles.
BN: 22635

GQ2.

GQ2
5th Dec 2011, 16:22
More here;-
http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/253843-world-war-two-pilots-pubs.html
...and here..;-
WWII Aviation Pubs - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=34886)

.........a lot seem to have either closed, been knocked-down, or made into a bland 'orrible chain/clone eatery. Gaaarrgghhh......:*

cvt person
5th Dec 2011, 16:38
The Blue Lias is in Long Itchington on the Stockton road alongside the canal. Many years since I've been there but it certainly was full of aviation photos. Do not remember an Auster but there was certainly a vampire in the car park for a number of years.

evansb
5th Dec 2011, 17:17
PILOT Tavern at Younge & Bloor, Toronto, Ontario. Est. 1944 and still in business. Relocated to Cumberland St, just north of the original location.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/photo-toronto-pilot-tavern-original-800-yonge-west-side-just-n-of-bloor1.jpghttp://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/l1.jpg

Akrotiri bad boy
5th Dec 2011, 19:45
Whilst cycling round the Isle Of Wight last summer I chanced upon the Propellor Inn at Bembridge.

The beer garden sits right on the airfield perimeter with good views of the threshold and the Britten Norman plant on the far side of the runway. Inside the bar is full of memorabilia, WWII bits and bobs and all sorts of Britten Norman stuff.

A top place to spend a sunny afternoon.:ok:

BSD
5th Dec 2011, 19:55
The Woodman at Nuthampstead. I posted on one of the other threads about this pub earlier this year. Cracking pub, good beer and a ham egg and chips to die for!

The pub hosts a tribute to the 398th bomb wing that flew B17s out of Nuthampstead. Beautifully done, with some stunning photos of the era on the walls.

On the edge of Nuthampstead aerodrome.

Cheers,

BSD.

vctenderness
8th Dec 2011, 15:32
There used to be a pub on the Bath Road at Heathrow called the Air hostess which was very popular with crew. I think it was on the site of the McDonalds which I guess still attracts crews from the hotels.

There was a pub in Morden called the Beverley which had a nice sign showing that fine old aircraft.

Sir George Cayley
8th Dec 2011, 19:36
The Windsock at Western St Dunstable Downs was bizarre, so sad it didn't survive.

The Plough at Plumpton has a Polish Air Force Memorial in the car park and an inside full of pictures and memorabilia. Just down the road is the Chailey Advance Landing Ground.

SGC

XV490
6th Mar 2014, 16:51
Marvellous to see another boozer adopting some local history (http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/pub_flies_again_with_famous_aircraft_name_1_3360702?usurv=sk ip) - The Wellington at Feltwell. Good for you, chaps, and a VC link to boot; and thanks for an excuse for keeping this thread going.

evansb
7th Mar 2014, 23:55
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/convair640037/CometBarandLounge_zps8deecad6.png

India Four Two
8th Mar 2014, 04:47
... and it is still there, but it looks more like the era of ER rather than EIIR.

Panoramio - Photo explorer (http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#user=3740260&with_photo_id=38625283&order=date_desc)

evansb
8th Mar 2014, 22:23
Aviation Pubs ? Still in Kansas, Dorothy? Visit Hangar One Steakhouse located on the northern perimeter of KICT, (Wichita Mid-Continent Airport), providing an overhead view to the approach of RWY 19L, this restaurant/pub is a great aviation oriented venue. It is home to the Control Tower Lounge where, of all things, the SMOKING OF CIGARS IS PERMITTED.!! Good food, (especially the steaks), and cheap pints of beer, (depending upon the daily special), plus a free view of the airport !! ...

The waitress said the outdoor patio-pub, (the wearing of Ray Bans being mandatory), is open from mid-spring until early autumn, alas.. the patio does not afford a good view of the airport, just glimpses of landing and departing aircraft.

John Hill
9th Mar 2014, 01:07
You could always try the Aileron Road House in Oz..

Aileron Roadhouse :: Great Outback Hospitality! (http://www.aileronroadhouse.com.au/)

http://www.aileronroadhouse.com.au/images/LAYOUT_08.jpg

ZQA297/30
9th Mar 2014, 21:44
What about the 94th Aero Squadron. midfield, south side of KMIA?
Haven't been there since I retired 10 years ago, but back then it was set up to resemble WW1 field in France. You could watch aircraft coming and going whilst you dined, and listen to ATC

pax britanica
9th Mar 2014, 22:18
Going back a few years on this thread was quite entertaining and nostalgic as I grew up right next to Heathrow and as stated there area few aviation related names for pubs around the airport.

The Happy Landing in Stanwell (not the Happy Landing(s) was at the centre of an Airways Housing Corporation estate and for many years had what was probably a unique pub sign showing an airliner undercarriage just about to touch down.

Just to the north of LHR was indeed a pub called the Air Hostess but I cannot remember ever visiting it but I do remember the sign showing a 1950s60s trolly doll in smart period uniform and hat.

On the same road was the Three Magpies which was a true aviation pub if not a themed one. It is still there but back then it seemed about half the LHR workforce were there any given evening. Same road but further east towards Hounslow was the Travellers Friend (now a McDs ) but the traveller was from a much earlier era.

A little further afield in nearby Hanworth was The Airman , with a proper pre WW2 airman in leather cap and goggles .

I cannot remember any other aviation related as opposed to aviation patronised pubs though it is interesting how many places - all adjoining really had strong aviation connections;
Hanworth Airpark, Hounslow Aerodrome, Heston Airport and finally LHR , why they all begin with H is a bit of an odd coincidence

evansb
9th Mar 2014, 22:26
Yes!! Not exactly a pub, however, the 4-Star 94th Aero Squadron Restaurants are located in Van Nuys, San Diego and Miami are all excellent !! But do they allow the smoking of Cubans ??

94th Aero Squadron Miami (http://www.94thmiami.com/94thmiami/default.aspx)

India Four Two
10th Mar 2014, 12:33
Whilst reading the latest entries in this thread, I suddenly realised that my local is an Aviation Pub!

Well, sort of. There's not a picture of an aircraft in sight, let alone an F-101/CF-101, but the name's the thing:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/india42/VoodooIMG_06921280_zps975d8f41.jpg

I appreciate Tan Son Nhat is a bit far for a weekend bimble, but if anyone is using faster transportation and is in the neighbourhood, give me a shout and I would be delighted to buy them a cold Tiger and introduce them to the friendly staff.

The Vietnamese name (Nhà Hàng Thuật Diệu Kỳ) translates as Restaurant Magical Arts.

CoodaShooda
10th Mar 2014, 12:53
The Victoria Hotel in Darwin, aka The Vic, was the preferred watering hole of all of the early aviators passing through on the England - Australia trail.

Hudson Fysh, Ross and Keith Smith, Kingsford Smith, Hinkler, Amy Johnson et al.

A section of wall bearing their signatures was preserved behind glass when the hotel was renovated in the 80's. It's still in situ, although the ink has often faded and there's a kiosk in front of it. :ugh:

Windy Militant
11th Mar 2014, 22:44
Bugger I wish I'd known about the George and Dragon at Clyst St George when I stayed there a couple of years ago. It's a vintage Inkeepers Lodge now, there was nothing indicating any Aviation History when I was there, just the usual generic hotel type stuff. Mind you I'd had a fairly long day so staying awake and not dropping off to sleep in my Pie and chips was the main task of the evening!

There are two Premier Inns at Stafford, Stafford North Hurricane which I stayed at a few years ago, and the Stafford North Spitfire. The Hurricane had a few pictures about the place but none of the staff knew the history behind the choice of names.
Finally any of you who are passing therough the Swondon area could look in here Goddard Arms, Clyffe Pypard (http://www.goddard-arms.co.uk/) It's run by Farley Family, the Widow and son of the late John Farley who was behind the Vickers Vimy replica that was flown a few years ago.
There's some interesting stuff there and they are good folk.

Edited to Add years ago going to the Aberdare Park road races passed a pub on the way there around the Blaenafon turnoff, I seem to remember seeing signs for the Big Pit and a Pub sign with a Vulcan Bomber on it. A quick goggle only brings up the Vulcan in Merthyr town centre, which was named after the foundry and the one I saw was by the side of the road not in the town centre.

oldpax
12th Mar 2014, 01:08
There is the"Walrus",just off the city centre.Was still open last year!

I16
12th Mar 2014, 09:03
One on the other side of the world!

History (http://www.themoth.co.nz/Pages/aboutus.aspx)

Cheers