PDA

View Full Version : New CASA head

Dick Smith
15th Dec 2008, 23:13
I note that the Minister has announced a new head of CASA – I understand he hails from Cathay Pacific. I wish him all the best for the future in a very difficult job.

tubby one
16th Dec 2008, 00:33
where and just when was this monumental accouncement made as there is NOTHING on the sites of the Minister, the department or CASA??????????????????????:=

Capt Fathom
16th Dec 2008, 03:03
You didn't search too hard!!

John McCormick (http://www.anthonyalbanese.com.au/file.php?file=/news/HMOESIUCVPEUMYTYPYZCMAYV/index.html)

(They do like the ex Cathay people)

Shot Nancy
16th Dec 2008, 03:13
Is that the fellow AKA "the screaming skull"?

tipsy2
16th Dec 2008, 03:14
Capt Fathom

Don't be too harsh, the various departmental and ministers sites have only been updated in the last few minutes.

I will wish the incoming CEO the same as I have wished the previous 3 CEO's, good luck with changing any of the entrenched public service practices and being able to survive the parliamentary committee games.

The job would be OK if it wasn't for the politics.

tipsy:ok:

Rudder
16th Dec 2008, 04:10
While I wish him the best and can only hope he does well. Clearly he is well qualified as a pilot but after reading the PR on the ministers site you have to ask what the hell does he know about managing a government department.

Tough times ahead for Mr. McCormick I would think.

Capt Fathom
16th Dec 2008, 04:35
Sorry 'bout that. Beginners' luck! :uhoh:

hoboe
16th Dec 2008, 04:38
While Albanese is on a roll, perhaps he should also announce a new CEO of Airservices Australia...:eek:

VH-JJW
16th Dec 2008, 04:38
I thought the former Chief Pilot Of Qantas was a shoe in for this role. Personally I think CM would have done a good job as well.

BuzzBox
16th Dec 2008, 05:37
Is that the fellow AKA "the screaming skull"?

Yup, and with good reason!

max autobrakes
16th Dec 2008, 06:56
JJW
I heard through the grape vine that such a hatchet job was done down in CBR on CM that only he thought he was a shoe in.:eek:
Might have pissed off one too many people me thinks.
Wouldn't have been a parting gift from one past President to another would it?:eek:

megle2
16th Dec 2008, 07:57
This looks like the JMcK who was a student 73/74.
Must check my logbook.
Last time I saw him he rode a motor bike.
Certainly had talent.

Bullethead
16th Dec 2008, 08:07
93 CSE 74/75.

Rgds,
BH.

TBM-Legend
16th Dec 2008, 12:20
owns a Yak-52 too...:ooh:

greencandreaming
16th Dec 2008, 19:30
The Screaming Scull was General Manager of Operations at CX .

He was ex - Fighter Jock and i think he has flown everything in Cathay Fleet , Airbus , 747 and 777 ( and actually did the testing and development with Boeing on it )

Apple Tree Yard
16th Dec 2008, 21:53
JM is a great pilot, and a great guy. Although he was a bit of a 'handful' to fly with, as a person he is first class. Almost alone amongst many CX managers, he was one who had a real concience and was always fair to deal with. I for one will miss him.

fire wall
16th Dec 2008, 21:57
Agreed ATY, John is a no b.s. / straight down the line guy who doesn't suffer fools. Our loss / Australia's gain.

mention1
16th Dec 2008, 22:22
18 year old school leaver:
Hi, I've just finished school and I've always wanted to fly for a living. How do I start?

CFI: Hi, glad to talk to you and thanks for visiting Fireball Flying School. First of all you'll need to get an ASIC, that will cost you $196 dollars. Its funny isn't it, no other country has them, including the USA. Ha ha.

Then you'll need a Student Pilots Licence, er, thats a new fee of $50, then you'll need to get a medical, thats around $200, oh then you'll have to spend money to actually hand it over to CASA and that will cost you $70.

Then CASA will print out your licence, but only if you pay them another $25

Because our 30 year old aircraft are so overregulated we'll have to charge you around $230 an an hour to learn to fly and after you've reached 1500 hours total you can apply and attend, at your own cost of course, an interview flying a SAAB which will earn you $42,271 p.a.

18 yosl: But, my Dad works for the ABS and he says the average yearly ernings in Australia is $66,232 p.a. and Uncle Jim earns more than that driving his tip-truck...

CFI: Yeah well back in my day the CPL exam fees were 50 cents each, ha ha ha, and the SCPL fees, they were the expensive ones, they were 75 cents each, to pay for photocopying or something. But today you have to pay around $110 each and there are at least 11 of them.

18 yosl: But, but we haven't even started talking about the actual lessons yet.

CFI: Oh yeah and you had better hurry with them because, and just keep this to yourself, this airport probably won't be here too long due to urban sprawl, say, you don't know of any qualified flight intructors or engineers do you?
Do you?
Hey, where did he go???

Phlap1
17th Dec 2008, 00:33
He's also been a QF second officer which makes him overqualified
for all aviation jobs in Oz!

Boratous
17th Dec 2008, 01:24
QUOTE]
From CEO Bruce Byron
John McCormick will take over as the new chief executive officer of CASA from 1 March 2009. Infrastructure and Transport Minister, Anthony Albanese, announced the appointment of Mr McCormick today. Mr Albanese said:
"The Rudd Labor Government places the highest importance on aviation safety and is very pleased to have someone of Mr McCormick’s calibre and experience taking the reins of CASA. Mr McCormick will take up his responsibilities at an exciting time for the nation’s civil aviation industry. The Government has provided a framework for the industry’s future development with the release last week of our Aviation Green Paper, the next stage in the development of the nation’s first ever long term Aviation Strategy or White Paper.
Safety is at the forefront of the Green Paper and as the independent safety regulator, CASA has a crucial role to play in maintaining Australia’s proud safety record. To improve its governance arrangements as well as provide stronger support to the CEO and the Minister, I recently announced the Government intends to put in place a small, independent Board for CASA.

An early priority for Mr McCormick will therefore be to prepare for the establishment of this Board in July 2009. The Government acknowledges and thanks Mr Bruce Byron for his outstanding contribution as CASA CEO over the past five years as well as his personal commitment to the highest of safety standards and necessary internal reforms. He leaves CASA well placed to meet future challenges."

John has worked for Cathay Pacific since 1987, having been with Qantas as a second officer on the B747-200 from 1984 to 1987. Prior to that he held various positions within the RAAF, serving a number of overseas tours. At Cathay Mr McCormick started as a first officer on the B747-200 and rose to become chief pilot and manager training for the airline's Boeing fleet, before taking over as general manager Operations in Hong Kong. This role included responsibility for the airline's air operators certificates and all applicable regulatory matters. For the last two years he has been a Brisbane-based line pilot and is a senior training captain on the A330/340s.
Mr McCormick brings a wealth of up-to-date and international industry experience to CASA which will further strengthen our senior management team. I have no doubt his fresh perspective and ideas will drive continued improvements to CASA, building on the success of our change program which has been strongly endorsed by the Government. I can report that the field of candidates for the CEOs position was strong and in itself this speaks volumes for the respect CASA now has in the Australian and international aviation communities.
I know you will all look forward to meeting John McCormick and will give him your full support and loyalty. In the meantime, I look forward to the next few months as I complete my term as CEO and get our organisation ready for a smooth transition to a new leader who will bring a commitment to building on our current successes and striving for continued improvement.

Hopefully he will be able to achieve more in regulatory reform than Byron - shouldn't be too hard given that Byron achieved absolutely nothing

mephisto88
17th Dec 2008, 01:42
Have to agree with AppleTreeYard on that one, can't say I'll miss him, but I certainly respect him as an aviator and a gentleman.

With luck, he'll knock a few heads and shake a few trees.

He doesn't talk bs, and he doesn't listen to it either. Hope he manages to outlast the pollies and bureaucrats he'll be up against.

nick2007
17th Dec 2008, 01:43
Why is it that when trying to view the first page of this thread no matter what I do, I get a full page ad (?) "Fulfill your promise, discover ours" ?

Diatryma
17th Dec 2008, 02:57
He doesn't talk bs, and he doesn't listen to it either

If that's the case it will be interesting to see how he manages the politics!

Certainly he will need all the luck being wished upon him on this thread - and then some.......

:p

mephisto88
17th Dec 2008, 03:35
Well, he's a straight shooter thats for sure, you certainly know where you stand with him.

Those that are going to work for him had better get their ducks in line. Blundering buffoons will hopefully be #1 target, and for those awaiting his arrival who know they are incompetant and ineffective, perhaps they should quit now before they are shown the door.

The man does not suffer fools gladly. I think he will be good for CASA.

the wizard of auz
17th Dec 2008, 05:26
The man does not suffer fools gladly. I think he will be good for CASA.
Unfortunately he will have to deal with them on a daily basis. One would have to watch that his non tolerance attitude doesn't develop into an arrogance due to the daily exposure to foolish people. he would be just like most of the higher echelon in the bureaucratic system we have if that happens. The best of intentioned people can slowly drift to the other side if in the position long enough. :ok:

Freehills
17th Dec 2008, 06:48
I wish him luck, but feel sorry for him in a way. He's been looking happy and healthy back on the line. I can't imagine that trying to cope with the politics & bureaucracy of CASA will let him stay in that state, knowing his "take no prisoners, accept nothing second-rate" attitude.

daisy120
17th Dec 2008, 11:05
ATY...good assessement of a guy that will hopefully bring some brevity to an otherwise atrophied govt dept. Its about time that aviation procured some real "handlers" that can regulate productively and with good sense. J Mc will at least keep the big picture in focus and won't resist cutting out the rot. good luck!!:ok:

Goondiwindi
17th Dec 2008, 23:44
Cathay's gain and Australia's loss, I'd say. He has not retained his moniker for no reason.

Nice to see Dick sucking up straight away so he can get in CASA's new boy's ears for some Dick Smith reform.

Captain Dart
18th Dec 2008, 00:46
For everybody's information, this individual was a member of his Asian airline's infamous 'Star Chamber' that selected 50+ pilots for dismissal 'for no particular reason' as an attempt to intimidate the rest of the airline's pilot group early this decade.

And his nick-name is very appropriate.

the wizard of auz
18th Dec 2008, 01:02
And his nick-name is very appropriate.
so everyone keeps saying............ so does this mean he is a real skinny bloke that yells a lot?. Enlighten us that don't know the man.

ForkTailedDrKiller
18th Dec 2008, 01:14
Oh crap! I guess this means I didn't get the job, huh?

Dr :8

Ex FSO GRIFFO
18th Dec 2008, 02:15
Dear Dr.,

You can be "Personal Physician" to 'the originator of this thread'..... who may need 'consoling' for not being appointed.....

(And I hope you are a VET!) :}:}

megle2
18th Dec 2008, 02:27
Started off on a Air Training Corps scholarship at RQAC for his private licence.

halfmanhalfbiscuit
8th Jun 2013, 16:42
It is getting close to this time again. I'm guessing after the election in September the process will start.

First task disband the board and re arrange the pot plants.

004wercras
9th Jun 2013, 00:09
Yep, the Skulls tenure is close to ending. Contract expires in a few months, unless the powers of dross in Can'tberra decide he requires an early departure.
Perhaps Sith Mrdak will himself form a Star Chamber in which a list of CAsA, ATSBeaker and ASA names will drawn up, reviewed over a 2 day period ('reviewed' is a word open to interpretation) and then a select group shall be singled out, frog marched and executed, as a lesson to all other bureaucracy employees?
One thing is certain, the GWM will be working overtime to position mates into key roles, watch this space. Time to regroup, strengthen the iron ring and latch all the hatches to ensure any incoming new management are not able to penetrate the inner circle and start a long overdue exhumation of the rotten corpses at the centre of this palpable decades old mess.

aroa
9th Jun 2013, 00:37
Fascinating to read back thru this thread...and see the great difference in what SS was?/ might have been back then... and what has eventuated.

It always beggars my belief that someone who might be able to shout 4 in the cockpit into line, is credited with the ability to make a dysfunctional, intransigent balls-up of a free ranging mob of public/sorry self servants into some useful agency.

Give me a list of benefits of the (Aya)Toller years....if you can find any.
Ditto with the Skull's tenure/sinecure.

CAsA' s credibilty if it had any with the GA industry has now ceased to exist. And the toxicity worsens daily with the likes of the AWIs and FOIs who are out off their tiny minds, playing Darth Varder with folks businesses, livelihoods and sanity.
Under the latest "overseer" we have Air Tex, Pel-Air, Barrier, Quadrio and numerous other examples of CAsA slashing and burning its way to "safety" with religious zeal. And all with dubious practices.
Who will be the next m/puppet master.. and what mayhem will be wrought on the "clients" ??
Interesting times..!!

Old Akro
9th Jun 2013, 03:18
First task disband the board and re arrange the pot plants.

Thanks to Senator Nash, we know they have a lot of healthy pot plants to re-arrange. Unfortunately, the video has been removed from her website. Its sad, because Fiona Nash was outstanding.

For those who missed it here is a news report:
CASA taken to task for $50,000 a year on office plants (http://www.industrysearch.com.au/CASA-taken-to-task-for-50-000-a-year-on-office-plants/n/65503)

Avgas172
9th Jun 2013, 08:11
Senator Fiona Nash ? Parliament of Australia (http://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members/Parliamentarian?MPID=e5g) for the lesser proficent googlers

Captain Dart
9th Jun 2013, 08:28
Didn't the stupid and incorrect DAMP calendar that came out under the Screamer's watch cost the tax payer 50,000 big ones as well?

Old Akro
9th Jun 2013, 08:47
for the lesser proficent googlers

That link is Fiona Nash's parliamentary page. The video of her cross examining CASA was on her website (Senator Fiona Nash > Splash (http://www.fionanash.com.au)) but its gone.

Frank Arouet
9th Jun 2013, 10:55
I have it on unsubstantiated authority that Al Gore has the job. Just waiting for the 457 VISA.:{

004wercras
9th Jun 2013, 11:04
Under the current management style, the ex CX leadership team, members of the GWM, the iron ring and so forth, one of these two blokes would be perfectly suited to the role...........
http://www.eurekastreet.com.au/uploads/Image/12/31535.jpg (http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=8y0OXPOgYd9uDM&tbnid=NlplwhZgDrBKSM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eurekastreet.com.au%2Farticle.aspx%3Fae id%3D31535&ei=wV-0UbPFBsKjlQXTpIHgBA&bvm=bv.47534661,d.aGc&psig=AFQjCNHDP1UYmdweQ-JyanOhST4VIfUMcQ&ust=1370861871099639)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/3692348-16x9-512x288.jpg (http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=peter+slipper&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=Uf2jmirGfo-nLM&tbnid=yhQWPlagnjUVvM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.abc.net.au%2Fnews%2F2011-11-24%2Fpeter-slipper-elected-as-new-speaker%2F3692338&ei=-mC0UYWeAYTVkAWu9IHADQ&psig=AFQjCNGkX-1pdKyBPYkbfPZS6HV7vgqmnw&ust=1370862127129569)

gerry111
9th Jun 2013, 15:36
aroa, a bit of good news for you perhaps? Heron Airlines who were previously part of the Airtex group are up and running again. A close friend of mine, who previously did a trip with them from Bankstown to Marree and return, recently received a call from them. That was to ask if she would like to receive a booklet. She did and they are now offering exciting holiday trips in Metros and Chieftains around the country. Apparently the company ownership has changed..

Mach E Avelli
10th Jun 2013, 03:19
Wassat got to do wiv a new 'ead then?

Now dat Peter Slippery guy, he da man fo de job. He know all 'bout travel an' flyin' 1st class an' stuff.

thorn bird
10th Jun 2013, 04:55
Mac,
be interesting to see what he relaces the Friday Hawian shirt with ??:E