PDA

View Full Version : North coast Aviation in PNG (updated)

wingisland
15th Dec 2008, 16:33
Has anyone got any more recent news on NCA, the only thread about them is nearly 6 years old? Am thinking about travelling out there, partly for the twin time, partly for the experience.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated :ok:

Wingisland

McQwerty
15th Dec 2008, 21:38
As their CP says in the job advert / email he sends out "living and flying in PNG is challenging."
Seems like a long way to move from England to find out you don't like it, or the T&C's don't suit you. Perhaps call them or email them directly and ask your questions.
I can say that the flying that the boys over there do looks amazing.

troppo
15th Dec 2008, 22:01
PNG 'perfume' is intoxicating for the intoxicated. :}
SP nambawan bia bilong png :}
Somewhere on you tube there is a video clip of guts in the RHS of the 750 on a run from moresby to goroka.
It's an apprenticeship for the adventurous that will open doors all over the world if you have your head screwed on right and you do your time.
But do us all a favour and post some pics when you get there.

Pinky the pilot
17th Dec 2008, 06:41
SP nambawan bia bilong png

Dunno about you Troppo but I only ever drank the 'longnek' stuff! Regular SP would occasionally give you the s***s! Literally!:eek:

Generally preferred what GH and I used to call 'strongdrink.':ok:
(Black label Johnny Walker. Straight of course.:E)

bush pilot png
8th Jan 2009, 07:28
Flew for nca for a while make sure its where you want to be before you sign up and take the warning about saftey very seriously. maintence is average and the pay is not that good for the conditions. but the flying is great fun

Ozzie Mozzie
13th Nov 2009, 12:44
is NCA GT's mob?

If the only flying yourve done before you go to PNG is a C172 and the training area then this will probably not your cup of tea I know you were thinking of the lifestyle aspect, but what sort of hours should one be looking to have before heading up there? (I have none. Well, 30 or so in 172s and similar, this is just for future reference.)

BTW, it wouldn't be a decision I'd take lightly, my old man flew up there in the talair days and having heard his stories I know enough about the place to know I know nothing at all. I do know he had a blast up there, and that he treated the flying conditions with a lot of respect.

training wheels
13th Nov 2009, 22:15
but what sort of hours should one be looking to have before heading up there? (I have none. Well, 30 or so in 172s and similar, this is just for future reference.)

Their website (http://www.nca.com.pg/employment.htm) quotes the following;

North Coast Aviation presently operate a PAC750XL, C402, and BN2's. Insurance requirements are 1000 hours TT, plus 50 hours in PNG and 50 hours on type. Applicants nearing these requirements please complete an application form at the bottom of this page.

If they require 50 hours of PNG time, then it's probably not an "entry level" job in PNG. So do they require you to have worked elsewhere in PNG first?

Unusual-Attitude
13th Nov 2009, 22:34
It's entry level, (for PNG)...you gain the 50 hrs 'in country' during ICUS.

Anyless than 1000 tt and you'd be an accident waiting to happen.

But then again, guys with years in country and tens of thousands of hours have met their end there, so it doesn't always equate.

Even so, best flying you'll ever do. Hands down.

Xcel
16th Nov 2009, 18:50
Wow someone looked at my website... pity i never finished it...

Yea UA is correct 50 hours ICUS and they will take you around the 950 mark but need 1000hrs when they let you loose...

They will not take you with much more than 1000 hrs though as they want the full 18 month committment from you...

just think about the advice on here, it is challenging, and not for everyone.

I did bail unfortunately after 12 months with nca... wife and I didnt agree with the bullets embedded in the car after a trip to the markets and 2 attempted hold ups. wrong place - wrong time definately, still miss the flying though.