PDA

View Full Version : GAPAN Scholarships 2009

John Alcock
15th Dec 2008, 10:05
GAPAN (The Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators) has updated its web pages, now with details of its bursaries and scholarships for 2009. This remarkable and well-respected organisation is offering PPL scholarships, Flight Instructor ratings, and instructor bursaries for Multi-Engine, Aerobatics and Instrument Ratings.

Every year there are a few posters who admit that they never bother to apply as there are far too many applicants. I can testify that, whilst there will undoubtedly be many competitive applicants, the only way to be certain of the outcome is not to enter; it still amazes me that there were only ~100 applicants for last years J N Somers scholarship!

I for one would like to commend GAPAN for offering such scholarships during a time when finances are hard, and aviation is most in need of such a generous helping hand.

I'm sure Flying Lawyer will post more details in due time. Until then, the website is
Scholarships 2009 (http://www.gapan.org/careers/scholarships/schols08.htm)

JA

flightlevel1985
15th Dec 2008, 10:29
Ive been waiting for this to update, thanks :ok:

PilotPieces
15th Dec 2008, 11:27
A great guild offering great opportunities. However, a little disheartening to read last years winners.

"Timmy had a private education which led to a masters degree in just about everything, coupled with his charity work, appearance in the Air Cadets and extensive paper plane collection makes him the perfect recipient for our award."

Sorry, im just jealous because I know my application wouldn't get a second look. :rolleyes:

expedite08
16th Dec 2008, 15:55
Plus with the current market I would asume they will get swamped! Especially for things like the FI course.

Re-Heat
16th Dec 2008, 16:49
Well, you won't win it if you don't apply!

Sorry, im just jealous because I know my application wouldn't get a second look.
If you show demonstrable commitment towards an aviation career, and it is not just a "fad", then give it a go.

Irrespective of background, GAPAN will select the best and most committed.

expedite08
16th Dec 2008, 18:51
Hmmm,

Having looked a little more in to the scheme on the site I can see a few things that do not add up. With regard to the fixed wing FI Sponsorship:

The timings look a little ambitious to put it lightly!

If for example you are selected for interview then you will attend on the 18th June. If you were to be successful then I would imagine you would find out by late june, that gives you approx a week to get yourself booked on an FI course in summer!! Now even with our weather, getting on a course that quick in summer is mighty ambitious! Your looking at courses being booked at least two months ahead generally.

Then there is the Oct 9th Deadline! What happens if you go past that due to illness or weather! Going by our summer this year it is quite possible for the course to take a few months!

If anyone knows the answers or knows inside info on how these timings work out please let me know.

Regards :)

flightlevel1985
16th Dec 2008, 20:06
Well they say the course full time takes around 5-6 weeks. So add a couple more for the 'tropical' uk weather and thats nearly two months. So that would give you a month in hand according to their guidelines. That's assuming you can get the time off work and like you say, book a course in that short time span :)

flightlevel1985
18th Dec 2008, 19:12
So, has anyone applied ??

GuinnessQueen
19th Dec 2008, 17:24
I was fortunate enough to be awarded an FI scholarship a few years ago. I had already completed the pre-course assessment flight (as was required to apply for the scholarship). Upon winning the scholarship GAPAN were keen that I had researched where and when I wanted to complete the course, so that they could sort out their paperwork. As long as you have done your homework (and have arranged the invoicing) I think they are fairly relaxed on the timings. I completed my course at weekends only and it took approx 3 months to complete. GAPAN were supportive all the way!

student88
20th Dec 2008, 00:42
I'd be lovely if there was another J N Somers scholarship this year, I'd love to apply!

zk-pontius
21st Dec 2008, 19:59
I was awarded a FI scholarship a couple of years ago - I went to a comprehensive school, I have no prestigious connections, I was never an air cadet and have been too busy with other things in life to have been fortunate enough to be able to dedicate some time to charity work - so get over yourself and apply - I am reliably informed that sometimes NO-ONE applies for some of the scholarships - that is just dumb!

zk-pontius
21st Dec 2008, 20:03
As far as timings are concerned, you can have started the FI course before you receive the scholarship if that is what you were going to do anyway - the money then comes through pretty quickly and most training organisations will sort out payment directly with GAPAN - of course if you are relying on the scholarship to do the course in the first place it is a slightly different story but the FI course is only 30 hours flying and 80 hours grounschool - if you are lucky enough to receive funding for this you should be willing to do whatever it takes to make sure you can complete the training - also I would agree entirely that GAPAN will be as flexible and supportive as possible when it comes to deadlines - if they see that you have made every effort to meet the deadline they are unlikely to pull the funding because for example the weather has been against you - good luck to all who apply - I cannot commend GAPAN enough for what they do :)

Keeley
24th Dec 2008, 21:33
I will be applying for a 2009 PPL scholarship. The fact that many people will apply does not put me off in the slightest. Compared to some I haven't done an awful lot with my life either, but I can definitely prove my commitment to aviation, so I think I stand as good a chance as any. I have nothing to lose by trying!

I would also like to echo those comments commending GAPAN. I spoke to a representative at the FLYER pilot show near Heathrow Airport recently, and he was very helpful indeed!

Keeley

airfoil
2nd Jan 2009, 14:23
hey guys!!

Is this open for non UK nationals and resident??
I'm very interested to apply but these questions are holding me back.
Can't seem to find ways to contact GAPAN to ask this question, so i'm guessing maybe some of you can help me.. Thanks!!

God Bless and Happy New Year!

expedite08
2nd Jan 2009, 14:37
You can not do any harm in applying, certainly for the PPL sponsorship. I do fear that it would be fairly foolish of anyone to be applying for the FI sponsorship at the moment and possibly giving up a job for it. ( unless of course you have sufficient backing financially to live ). Maybe something for the Guild to consider in the future, a little flexibility possibly on courses. I feel at the moment It's quite all or nothing! I guess its to do with the sacrifice and how much you want it ethos which of course is all important, but we are not currently in a world where we can throw caution to the wind!

I think in 2009 most of us will be just concentrating on hanging on to our jobs, let alone giving them up to embark on a very uncertain pathway.

I believe the schemes are excellent and do exactly what they say on the tin, provide a means of achieving ones goals and ambitions in flying, whether that be personal or professional. I take my hat off to the Guild for continuing such schemes given the state the world is in. Lets hope that they return next year for more!

Well done to the Guild and best of luck to all involved, but please do balance the risks. :)

John Alcock
3rd Jan 2009, 08:28
hey guys!!

Is this open for non UK nationals and resident??
I'm very interested to apply but these questions are holding me back.
Can't seem to find ways to contact GAPAN to ask this question, so i'm guessing maybe some of you can help me.. Thanks!!

From the GAPAN website, click "About the Guild", then click "Contact Us".

Telephone
+44 (0) 20 7404 4032

FAX
+44 (0) 20 7404 4035

Postal address
GAPAN
Cobham House
9 Warwick Court
Gray's Inn
London WC1R 5DJ

Electronic mail
General Information: [email protected] ([email protected])

Contact Us (http://www.gapan.org/guildinfo/location.htm)

airfoil
4th Jan 2009, 11:49
hey john
thank you very much, maybe i overlooked their website.. lol:E

haha..

anyway, I'll try to apply.. wanna take this oppurtunity.

preduk
4th Jan 2009, 19:01
It says on the application that you will be required to do a short test to find your aptitude and ability, is this the full GAPAN test thats done at Cranwell or is it something different?

Angels 25
6th Jan 2009, 13:01
I can only agree with the comments made by zk-pontius - I won an FI Scholarship in 2001, and I've since enjoyed a successful instructing career; I never had a private education, I went to a state school in New Zealand. I've never involved myself in charities, I was too busy living life, and I absolutely do not build paper airplanes, I only fly the real ones. And Airfoil, I'm neither a UK national. What seems to matter with regard to GAPAN Scholarships is your enthusiasm about flying, and what you as an individual can contribute to the aviation world, with your ideas and vision.

georgesantos17
16th Jan 2009, 12:37
This is a good thing to apply for however if your application doesn't shine as much as others, the interview is the time to crush other applicants. They want to know how much you like aviation, what you do as your hobbies, how well you contribute to society and if you try in school or college. They also want to see that you are committed, after all this is not for the faint-hearted. Also I would imagine that the ones that successfully portray the idea that it will be of magnificent help to you in the near future when obtaining an ATPL will be the successful ones too. Do not let your application bog you down because if they like the sound of you at your interview, they will either ask you further questions or you could even win it. Be confident and believe in yourself ;).