PDA

View Full Version : Getting the B1 license without exams-exprerience

zafos
15th Dec 2008, 09:07
Hi I wanna ask sth that I heard about last days.Someone told me that If you have a university degree in mechanical/aerospace engineering and also If you have a master (MSc) in a relevant subject(aerospace design,aerodynamics,propulsion etc) you can ask for the B1 license to give you without taking any exams and without any experience in aircraft maintenance.This is because they recognise what you have been taught and they give you the B1 licence.So do you know If this occurs in any way?

BAe146s make me cry
15th Dec 2008, 09:54
I personally hope thats absolute bollocks (untrue) for the future of the industry.

In any case, contact your NAA to confirm. Times are getting harder
and EASA cannot actually regulate so maybe in these times of flux anything is possible??

???????? ????????? ?????????? - ??????? Web Site. (http://www.hcaa.gr/home/index.asp)

Please provide us with some feedback from your enquiry.

In the UK with our UKCAA, officially some limited credits may be gained at a basic level (Modules 1,2,3,4,5,8) but certainly not full
exemption or complete recognition of any degree to an instant
A, B1 or B2 AML.

2 years ago, the UKCAA did at least 25 favours for BA and VS.
Degrees were certainly not involved, but we don't talk about that do we Roy?

An AML should never be issued with nil experience. You can however submit a falsified PER (Maintenance record) though - all employers won't endorse this method BUT many cannot choose, therefore suffering the consequences - Having to accept both financial and potentially dangerous yet avoidable outcomes.

Line managers you have my sympathies

BAe146???:{:{:{

Robin400
15th Dec 2008, 15:23
[QUOTE]If you have a university degree in mechanical/aerospace engineering and also If you have a master (MSc) in a relevant subject(aerospace design,aerodynamics,propulsion etc[/QUOTE

I asked guy with such a qualification " how may spanners do you need to secure a lock nut"

His answer was incorrect.:eek:

QA1
15th Dec 2008, 18:13
In the UK it is not possible to get a B1 or B2 without experience and passing some examinations.

The rules do allow an academic route, for people with the right experience, to obtain a category C license without further examination; this being dependent on the university course being assessed by the CAA as acceptable. To my knowledge this has yet to happen - although I stand to be corrected.

venetian
19th Dec 2008, 13:59
what you report is against Part-66!

to get a B1 u need knowledge + experience (2,3 or 5 yrs depending on your starting point)

It is possible to get a pure C licence thru academic path, but in this case you can't put your hands on the aircraft. You need to have B1 and B2 guys signing off tasks before u sign the release to service.

Pls report the result of your investigation anyway: it sounds interesting...

zafos
19th Dec 2008, 19:19
It is possible to get a pure C licence thru academic path, but in this case you can't put your hands on the aircraft. You need to have B1 and B2 guys signing off tasks before u sign the release to service.

Pls report the result of your investigation anyway: it sounds interesting...
This is interesting.With a C license I can work as a base maintenance coordinator?

Rigga
19th Dec 2008, 23:17
The Academic route is this:

You must achieve a degree qualification acceptable to the NAA plus

1 year of practicle experience on the shop floor working through "a good selection" of ATA chapters/subjects plus

A full Part 147 type rating course for the first type of your approvals. A familiarisation course for second and subsequent types on your approvals.

Following all these things you can then apply for (but in UK not necesarily achieve) a C Licence.

You are right is saying that you can then sign-off a base maintenance check - that is entirely what it is designed for. It is designed to be used with a Project management/Quality Auditor who asseses all the work carried out and checks for the compliance with the package of work - nothing else.

I've always looked upon it as a management tool to get around some commercial pressures, but who am I in this great machine!

Jet II
20th Dec 2008, 04:46
In the UK it is not possible to get a B1 or B2 without experience and passing some examinations.

true - but other EASA member States dont take the same stance.

All depends on what side of the Channel you are on.

boeing_eng
20th Dec 2008, 06:42
True - but other EASA member States dont take the same stance.

All depends on what side of the Channel you are on.

Hence why a lot of job adverts are now specific about where your EASA License was issued!

EASA = Level playing field?!!......ha ha:}:}:}:}

BAe146s make me cry
20th Dec 2008, 08:11
EASA = Level playing field?!!..... ha ha :}:}:}:}

Have a read of this ::: Still relevant to subject

http://www.airengineers.org/docs/internal/eu_unfit_to_regulate_european_aviation.doc

BAe146??? :{:{:{

BAe146s make me cry
26th Dec 2008, 18:36
http://www.airengineers.org/docs/internal/pr006_2008_passenger_safety_compromised.pdf

EASA regulation enforcement & its NAA's just get better every day! :eek:

BAe146???:{:{:{

Black Labradors MaTE
29th Dec 2008, 15:13
Official Journal of the European Union
2042/2003 ANNEX III
(Part-66)

Para 5 answers your question,

3. for category C with respect to large aircraft:
(i) three years of experience exercising category B1.1, B1.3 or B2 privileges on large aircraft or as Part-145 B1.1, B1.3 or B2 support staff, or, a combination of both; or
(ii) five years of experience exercising category B1.2 or B1.4 privileges on large aircraft or as Part-145 B1.2 or B1.4 support staff, or a combination of both; or
4. for category C with respect to non large aircraft:
three years of experience exercising category B1 or B.2 privileges on non large aircraft or as Part-145 B1 or B.2 support staff, or a combination of both; or
5. for category C obtained through the academic route:
an applicant holding an academic degree in a technical discipline, from a university or other higher educational institution recognised by the competent authority, three years of experience working in a civil aircraft maintenance environment on a representative selection of tasks directly associated with aircraft maintenance including six months of observation of base maintenance tasks.

But one would hope if you were educated/keen enough you would have sought this information out - it is free on the web and a pre requisite for a C licence. (Pt 66 Module 10)