PDA

View Full Version : FAWB (Wonderboom) commercial flights

ambasador
14th Dec 2008, 15:40
Since my last post I've found out that 2 airlines (or companies!) have tendered for commercial flights from Wonderboom airport... Interlink and someone called Anothen Skyways?!? Anyone heard of them?? (Tender results on Tshwane website)

Does ANYONE have any info on this? What aircraft they gonna use? ... Short runway etc .. can't be something massive ... or this only a 2010 scheme? I think there are alot of questions without answers here - perhaps one of you could shed some light - or comment...... There's been nothing in the press yet - appart from a few minor articles about upgrading Wonderboom airport for 2010 etc... Somethings cooking!?!?!

ambasador
20th Dec 2008, 18:51
Heellooo?? ANY news? Anyone have info on this please? I wanna know if there are any job opportunities there and who this (new??) company is... what aircraft gonna be used there? How big is the fleet ..? What destinations?

If anyone has info - please post..

legacy
20th Dec 2008, 20:40
I think Interlink will use their 737! dont think it can operate out of FAWB with many (or any) pax - unless they use an F28 - old technology!

Never heard of Anothen Skyways - hope they make it - could mean some new blood in the industry - unless it "old blood" with a new name???? . Perhaps a new airline (again). Interesting that there are guys out there with moola to throw around - like the new airline in DUR too! Never the less - I have no idea what aircraft these guys are capable of pulling out the hat.

There's been alot of development at Wonderboom - been there recently? Terminal building looks gr8! can't wait to see it finished.

I think its for domestic flights - so the routes will prob be the usual - CPT / DUR etc. Wonder how the guys from Jo'burg Intl will handle this - or how the Wonderboom flights will handle competition?

I think its a brilliant idea - if it works! :D Flights from Pretoria - no more R21 delays and missing flights. I think the airport still needs alot of work though - far from finished it seems - so when these flights will start heaven only knows.

Good luck to both airlines!:ok:

ambasador
20th Dec 2008, 21:28
yip - been to Wonderboom recently - looks cool. I have some friends who fly at Wonderboom - they're a bit concerned about the commercial flights starting there - whats gonna happen to the smaller guys? The airport's quite busy as it is...

s2h
21st Dec 2008, 04:09
Hmmm, short runway, international status returned, international globe trotting ambassadors, maybe we could fly them all the way to.........the DRC!!! :}

ambasador
21st Dec 2008, 08:36
I think economically it would be great for the airport to have Intl status back .. but they've been talking about it for YEARS! I'll believe it when I see it.

Logistical problem might be a bit of an understatement - if there are to be alot of flights... but there are a few other airports (the Airlink routes) like the old Nelspruit airport, Pietermaritzburg etc that cope fine with training and commercial flights - but like I said - it depends on how busy these guys want the airport to become. A few major flights to CPT shouldn't be too much of a problem - but a few to CPT/DUR/BFN/PE or where ever theyt wanna go might make this a hub eventually.

I also agree with the privatisation.. government often has assets and potential lying around that never get used to it's fullest capacity - there IS money out there - if only the right guys will come into play and get things going...

Choppie
21st Dec 2008, 16:40
Well I can guarantee you now that if they had to change the airport to international, the name would also change to something like Chabalala International Airport or something.

Der absolute Hammer
22nd Dec 2008, 12:36
Yes but that s still more easy to pronounce than ......Ficus salicifolia....miracle or not.

ambasador
26th Dec 2008, 19:02
Are they keeping this out of the media on purpose for some reason??

legacy
2nd Jan 2009, 20:37
I've heard via the via that apparently "Anothen Skyways" is a new start-up airline - not part of any other local carrier. I wish them the best of luck! I just hope they not gonna use ancient aircraft.

Jester1
23rd Mar 2009, 04:28
Anothen are apparently being started by EX Airlink staff! Aircraft their looking at is along the lines of CRJ200, ERJ145 depending on availibility!

B Sousa
23rd Mar 2009, 15:28
All this serious talk about Wonderboom and nobody has mentioned food.

Villa San Giovanni (http://www.vsg.co.za/)

eish
24th Mar 2009, 19:40
Now you're talking B Sousa. Best pizza's north of the Magalies Berg.

You'll never get gatvol of them!

legacy
2nd Apr 2009, 21:51
Amen to that.. food is good there!!

So .. ex Airlink staff you say?? Pilots?.. the plot thickens! Maybe THAT's where all those airlink crew went to .. :E