PDA

View Full Version : Island in the sky ?

JERBOA2
14th Dec 2008, 11:53
BULA !

Its seems Air Pacific has survived another year more by luck than management skill.

I hear that to SAVE money, the FAT DUCK has deffered C checks on the 737s, nor installed new seats in the 747s or the entertainment systems the FAT DUCK blew his trumpet about for the last 6mths.

Add to that, the latest 'strategic planning' is
- CNX the YVR service - it was never an earner BUT thats because FJ NEVER did any marketing and the website bookings DID NOT WORK.
- NARITA - the axe finally falls in MAR 09. Long overdue. I cannot rememember the last time the 767 departed with more than a 737-800 load. I remember loads of 40-60 were usual.
- To employ the 767 HONG KONG has been chosen from an indepth study. This required pinning a large map of the world (upside down of course) on the wall, then blindfolding Marketing department staff, have them drink Kava all day, spin them round a few times, then push them towards the upside down world map with a dart and see where it hits - BRILLIANT.
- This system was used to great effect in choosing OOL Coolangatta/Gold Coast which has turned out to be ANOTHER FLOP. Remember CANBERRA?
Slots at OOL were not required because both QF and VIRGIN have withdrawn services.
-CHC withdrawn
-BNE 1x service withdrawn
-HNL 1x service withdrawn
-CHRISTMAS ISLAND - what is the latest ?

So with all these services withdrawn, the latest strategy has been to recruit MORE CONTRACT PILOTS. The TANOA Hotel must be doing a roaring trade with 55+ contractors in house.

My old 767 colleagues tell me there are 18 Capts fighting for 1-2 trips/mth.

PROBLEM - Too many pilots
- Services withdrawn
SOLUTION - Get another 737-800
(Is this really true?):confused:

It begs the question - why does QF put up with this destruction?
- Have they no eyes or brains?:=:=

It may be hot here in the Sand Pit, but the beer is cold, and life is Fantastic. :)

The_Pharoah
14th Dec 2008, 21:37
ahh good ole FJ...I hope the change to HK is based on demand rather than as you've described.

I'm originally from FJ so I have quite a few friends in both Air Pac and Air Fiji (or whatever's left of them). My cousin (at Air Fiji) mentioned something about AF being bought out by a chinese consortium. Be interesting to find out whats happening back home.

Bulabandit
15th Dec 2008, 14:38
Bula !

Well profits will be only going one way this year - DOWN to negative territory.
The bush telegraph is humming with the news of an engine fire on one of the 737NGs.

Anyone got more info?
- Where?
- When?
- Who?

I presume the 'smiling death' will have his knife drawn.:8:E

The good thing about this incident is that FJ will NOT be able to sweep it under the carpet.:suspect:

Is Big Jim still at CAAFI ?
It will be a sad day and a big loss to Fiji aviation when he 'retires'.:\

-

max autobrakes
16th Dec 2008, 07:15
Now that Emirates have been denied buying NZ as their southern hub, is there now a move on Fiji?
What's this about a 40% equity stake having been taken in Emirates by Etihad ?:confused:

Skystar320
16th Dec 2008, 21:43
Why would Emirates be interested in Fiji? Don't get me wrong these guys are a nice bunch [airline] but its a considerable step down from Air NZ to Air Fiji?

neville_nobody
16th Dec 2008, 23:00
Emirates are probably trying to get rights to the pacific and build a totally global airline

The_Pharoah
17th Dec 2008, 00:29
"Why would Emirates be interested in Fiji? Don't get me wrong these guys are a nice bunch [airline] but its a considerable step down from Air NZ to Air Fiji?"

maybe they want to establish Air Pac as their training sub (heck, isn't 1/5th of current Emirates pilots from Air Pac??).

Also, I think you meant Air Pac rather than Air Fiji right? :} All Air Fiji has isabout 5 Y12 Harbins and a sprinkling of EMB110s and an Islander :p

*edit*

here's 'justification' for my statement (made up ofcourse) above:

TWO weeks ago Air Pacific lost two more of its local pilots, bringing to 27 the number of pilots who have winged themselves to destinations in the Persian Gulf.
They were captains of Boeing 737-800 series aircraft who had served the airline for a little more than a decade. The buzz in the industry right now is that the Fijian cockpit entourage in the Middle East will be ascending in the coming months as more airmen from our national carrier throttle away to rich Arab states. Of interest to followers of the flight brigade is the pending departure of one of the airlines pride, a local who peers claim may possibly be the youngest pilot to attain captaincy in the Asia-Pacific region.
According to statistics, the number of departed pilots represent close to 30 per cent of Air Pacifics pilot crew. In recent months there has been talk about a possible pilot shortage. With airlines the world over reporting a pilot shortage crisis, many theories and rumours have sprouted linking flight delays and cancellations to the exodus of some of Air Pacifics more experienced pilots. There are added concerns that locals are reluctantly leaving our shores because of disparities in the work conditions of locals and expatriates.
Whatever the reason, the question that begs to be answered is: Will the exodus of pilots pose a problem? Do we have a shortage or not? Some believe it is a simple matter of supply and demand.
About 19 of the locals have joined the Emirates and interviews with existing pilots are continuing. Air Pacific has continued to maintain its steady supply of expatriate leased pilots, a sure sign that the number of quality local pilots has begun to draw thin. Obviously, the locals are leaving for more fertile grounds and are finding jobs there more palatable with the offer of lucrative benefits and packages.

Taken from the fiji times here -->Pilots target better future - Fiji Times Online (http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=90083)

pegasusfury
20th Dec 2008, 11:34
BULA

IF AIR PACIFIC DID HAVE THE YOUNGEST 737 CAPT IN THE WORLD, THEN WHO WAS THE 23YR OLD CAPT FLYING FOR VIRGIN EXPRESS IN BRUSSELS IN 2000?
I THINK HE WAS AN AUSSIE OR KIWI -ANYONE KNOW?

LOOKS LIKE ITS A 'FIGMENT OF AIR PACIFICs ABSTRACT IMAGINATION' CAUSED BY TOO MUCH KAVA -is that how you spell it?

ME BEING AN OUTSIDER HERE, BUT WHY ARE ALL THE LOCAL PILOTS BOLTING FROM THE STABLE?
- BAD MANAGEMENT SEEMS TO BE THE ROOT OF ALL PILOT MOVES

AS PREVIOUS THREADS INDICATE, THERE SEEMS TO BE A COMMON CAUSE HERE. ALL PILOTS WANT TO FLY IN THEIR HOME COUNTRY BUT PILOTS SEEM TO BE FIJIs GREATEST EXPORT CURRENTLY - GOD HELP US IF AIR PACIFIC MANAGEMENT START TO MIGRATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-BEST IF ALL THE ROTTEN APPLES STAY IN ONE BASKET.
(MY COMMISERATIONS TO YOU UNFORTUNATE SOULS WHO GOD HAS CHOSEN TO SERVE SUCH LOWLY STOCK NOT WORTHY OF BREATHING THE AIR AND WALKING ON THIS SACRED EARTH)

QANTAS - DO YOU STILL OWN PART OF AIR PACIFIC ?
- IF SO, THEN WHY DONT YOU CLEAN UP THE STINKING MESS?
- NO BUSINESSMAN IN HIS RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT TO
ASSOCIATE WITH SUCH FERMENTATION.

P.S. I AM GLADE I FOUND GREENER PASTURES - OK THEY ARE BROWN BUT IF YOU WATER THE SAND AND SOW A LITTLE 'QUALITY' GRASS SEED - HEY IT COMES UP GREEN!:D:D:D:D

:ugh:

max autobrakes
21st Dec 2008, 04:02
Pharoah
Try airports not airlines is what Emirates is after.