PDA

View Full Version : GLOW WORM Portable Night Lighting

FC1
13th Dec 2008, 11:26
I would be very interested to hear from anyone using the GLOWORM HLS Portable Night Lighting System or knows of one that perhaps is dead, buried but not quite forgotten at the back of a stores or garage.

The system was sold many moons ago (20 years?) and I believe was made by a company called Research Security Ltd, which was originally based at Fairoaks Aerodrome in Surrey. There was an excellent article in Pilot magazine at the time which really rated the equipment. Unfortunately I don’t think many units were sold and I have been told that the owner, a Mr ‘RW ‘disappeared’ after the company folded back in the 90’s.

My interest is that I have such a system and I can concur that it is a fantastic bit of kit but while out supporting a client last night at a private landing site some *@#*wit drove a golf buggy across the LS and over one of the ‘T’ marker lights, smashing the casing and lens:ugh: The pilot picked the lights up 5kms out but numbnuts didn’t see it from 5 metres!!!

Parts are not available so before I pack it in and call it a day I thought I would give the forum a go to see if there are any obsolete GLOWORM bits out there that need a new home.

500e
13th Dec 2008, 13:56
ILLUMINATED MARKING FOR BRIDGING ARMY NAVY AIR FORCE AIR CRAFT BOAT SHIP MINEFIELD FUP HELICOPTER CYALUME EOD IED (http://www.lineargi.co.uk/linear-guidance-systems-defence-services.html).
Is a help.

Shawn Coyle
13th Dec 2008, 14:14
PM me - I know the developer / owner / very well. I can put you in touch with him.

sycamore
13th Dec 2008, 15:39
WIWO WW`s in the Far East we had SHNAPS or GAPS (Seletar helicopter night approach path system)(Gurkha app.path system),to get on into clearings at night. The SHNAPS was for training, GAPS operational,basically similar utilising 5 torches(2 red lenses),and 5 Gurkhas; 2 were stood facing the best /lowest approach holding the red torches on their head,about 5 yds apart; the other 3(white) lay on a line about 6yds behind,parallel,and 5 yds apart.As a Gurkha is about 5ft tall(ish),the rear line can be moved closer/further from the front to give approach angles of 5-15/20 deg(1 in 60).If the `reds were above the whites,you were too low,and vice-versa,and if the lights went out,the LZ was` hot`! Syc...