PDA

View Full Version : Getting Payed to Learn

Sacky
13th Dec 2008, 01:53
Anyone know of a list of companies or government bodies that will pay you to learn how to fly in a cadetship program? I was curious about this since I only found 3 in my country (Australia), but I'd also like to know from other perspective pilots in other countries what their cadetships are like.

Australia

Qantas Cadet Pilot Program (http://www.qantas.com.au/info/about/employment/pilotsCadetInfo)
Length : 6 months to 3 years depending on the degrees you wish to study
Job Guarantee : No
Type : Civil

Rex Cadet Pilot (http://www.rex.com.au/CadetPilot/default.aspx)
Length : 1 year
Job Guarantee : 5 years minimum

Royal Australian Air Force (http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/airforce/jobs/Pilot/Entry/)
Length : 3 years
Job Guarantee : 3 years minimum
Type : Military

Sharp Airlines Pilot Cadetships (http://sharpairlines.com/airline_pilot_training/pilotcadetships.html)
Length : 2 years
Job Guarantee : No

Feel free to let me know about more opportunities like this or any mistakes I've made.

Hawksley
13th Dec 2008, 03:08
ok neither the qantas cadetship or rex pay you whilst you learn

at least thats what i've come to learn. If anything your the one forking out the cash.

corsair
13th Dec 2008, 10:34
All of them, except the RAAF will cost you money for your training. But then the Air Force expect a bit more of you.

Not only that, 'payed' is not spelt that way, it's paid.

Bealzebub
13th Dec 2008, 10:49
I'd also like to know from other perspective pilots in other countries what their cadetships are like.

There may be some oil rich states that will subsidize their own nationals to learn, but the reality in most countries is that you will pay and pay a lot for your flight training. As you point out there are a few airlines that offer assisted training programmes through affiliated flying schools, however there is intense competition for these places and they normally still require a substantial outlay from yourself. The military is certainly a consideration, but remember they are not employing you to fly for Qantas, it is a career with a definite set of its own requirements.

Good luck.

PS. It is also prospective pilots, not perspective ones. :ok:

bgreenboxb
15th Dec 2008, 20:00
I didn't realise that PPRUNE was renamed PPR&SNE.
That is Prof. Pilots Rumour and Spelling Network.

TFlexMax80
15th Dec 2008, 22:06
I didn't realise that PPRUNE was renamed PPR&SNE.
That is Prof. Pilots Rumour and Spelling Network.

It's not, but the ability to use basic English is generally considered to be of benefit in this profession.

Groundloop
16th Dec 2008, 08:09
And if he ever found a cadetship his application form would not get very far with spelling like that!

forget
16th Dec 2008, 08:18
I didn't realise that PPRuNe was renamed PPR&SNE.

Awful grammar. :hmm:

EYXW
16th Dec 2008, 13:04
You'll quickly learn that PPRuNe is full of people with nothing better to do than proof read your posts for you. Though accurate spelling will assist in any application I've yet to find it an indication of flying ability, but, some may argue differently. I think an old adage on these forums is don't feed the trolls - so just best to ignore them and hopefully they'll go away!

As for the actual subject of this thread - the only Cadet Programme open worldwide I know of that pays you is Etihad's, who will stump up the money for your training and living costs, and also pay you a monthly stipend whilst training.

You will, of course, make some repayment through your wages but that's pretty much always been the case (BA Cadet Pilot Salary for example).

daria-ox
16th Dec 2008, 13:34
Let's be honest.. It's damn hard to find an airline or a company which will pay you to learn to fly. Almost impossible. I guess RAF would be good, but as others said, they have their own requirements.

206Fan
16th Dec 2008, 15:23
I guess RAF would be good, but as others said, they have their own requirements.

Yea, 5 GCSE's and 2 or 3 A Level's!

Or did you mean to say RAAF?