PDA

View Full Version : Yangtze River Express

rafael1963
12th Dec 2008, 17:03
Hi guys

Somebody can help me with information about the B737-300/B747 with Yangtze River Express ??:)

And the cost of living in Shanghai?......price of rent etc

Thanks very much

anthony.andora61
13th Dec 2008, 02:36
Shanghai is a great place to live :ok:, however, working for Yangtze River I am not sure. :=
My personal experience with the place was not fun at all and I know of at least three more guys with the same scenario. I have PIC time from Oasis Hong Kong and they wanted to hire me as a B744 Capt then after I got myself to Shanghai they told me this was going to be for a cruise Capt then they could not make up their mind, by the way this all happened within 72 hrs. The HR Manager speaks no English, the chief pilot was never available, the rest of the people there with me were not as patient and some left. so make what you want out of this messy place.

Before you do the medical with Yangtze River make sure you really want to go to work for them because in China unlike the rest of the world once you take your medical with one carrier you no longer can go to work for another one unless you get release from them, this was not my case but one of the guys in the group decided to go with another carrier after taking the medical with Yangtze and the other carrier was not able to hire him because Yangtze will not release his medical. so another words they owned you from that point on.

hope this helps

rafael1963
14th Dec 2008, 18:35
thanks very much for the information, my previous airline close a few months ago and now im looking for job

thanks for your time

:ok:

free at last
14th Dec 2008, 19:32
Don't forget China Tax rate is 40% make sure they pay that for you and Good Luck!:):)

v1vRFLY
24th Dec 2008, 10:40
I interviewed and took the pre-screening CAAC medical with Jade Cargo. I was offered a position but declined to accept it. I later interviewed with Yangtze River and completed another CAAC medical. I am presently at YRZ and have my medical certificate 'in-hand.' There is no 'owning' of you when you take a CAAC medical at a particular airline.

With this said however, an airline is not required to release your pre-screening medical to you. The CAAC retains the medical check and paper record of it which would entitle you to a CAAC medical certificate, but good luck getting it if you are not working for an airline in China.

Also, they do have a habit of placing foreign crews in lesser positions after you accept the employment offer. Guess they figure you will accept it and you are 'stuck' once you resign your position elsewhere.

Heilhaavir
24th Dec 2008, 18:18
Also, they do have a habit of placing foreign crews in lesser positions after you accept the employment offer. Guess they figure you will accept it and you are 'stuck' once you resign your position elsewhere.

Is that what they did to you Tommy?

anthony.andora61
25th Dec 2008, 03:06
I interviewed and took the pre-screening CAAC medical with Jade Cargo. I was offered a position but declined to accept it. I later interviewed with Yangtze River and completed another CAAC medical. I am presently at YRZ and have my medical certificate 'in-hand.' There is no 'owning' of you when you take a CAAC medical at a particular airline.
JADE CARGO is base in Shenzhen and YANGTZE RIVER is base in Shanghai, two different CAAC, try doing the same thing with another airline base in Shanghai then go ahead and post again until then we are comparing apples and oranges.;)

TowerDog
27th Dec 2008, 08:24
Is that what they did to you Tommy?

Or Keith...?

Heilhaavir
27th Dec 2008, 10:14
Keith should be just about done with training @ Jade

bman0429
31st Dec 2008, 19:46
Anyone have any idea about schedules?

Specifically layover times in LAX?

Thanks

Bman

wing17
13th Jan 2009, 02:12
Along the same lines if somebody were to take the Chinese written with one carrier during the initial interview would that set up any barriers a couple weeks latter if you wanted to interview at a different Chinese airline?

Thanks for any info.

v1vRFLY
13th Jan 2009, 04:44
This did not happen to me. My contract offer was to start as Cruise CAPT, then transition to CAPT after 3 months / 150 hours of line flying. This was simply due to the fact that the last time I operated the B744 was 10 years ago at CX as Cruise CAPT. This is acceptable to me and is still being honored.

Regarding the CAAC ATP written exam, this is true. If you take the exam at one company in China, the 'host' airline holds the original document, thus rights to your employment. The CAAC frowns upon guys 'jumping' around from place to place, so they require the original document before issuing an ATPL. I interviewed at Jade where I took the ATP written test. Jade paid the fee for the test and hold the original. If I were under contractual obligation to Jade, they would keep the original, thus preventing me from jumping ship to another carrier. Since I am not, Yangtze is entitled to get it...all under CAAC scrutiny. With this being said, once you go to an interview and take the test, be sure this is the airline you are comfortable with. After you sign a contract, you cannot go to another carrier without lots of 'red-tape' unraveling.

Not true with the medical. You will take a screening medical at each airline in china. Now (the other gentleman has a point), for the CAAC to actually 'issue' the medical certificate may be treated much like the ATPL itself, where they literally control who you can actually work for.

So far days off are honored (9 days per month) and I have taken annual leave with my days off (30 per year = 2-3 days ea month). Pay is 'as advertised.'

Shanghai apartments are not cheap for western style accommodation. Add to that the year long lease requirement, deposits, etc and it is expensive. After more pilots from Europe and US are hired, LAX and LUX basing will be available. Irregardless, with 9-12 days off at home and 2-3 day LAX or LUX layovers, you will 'acutally' be in Shanghai less than 15 days each month...not really worth getting an apartment alone (better as a group). I am in hotel at corporate rate, daily maid service, check-out for days off, trips, etc, and can leave bags in storage....cheaper in the long run.

In summary, so-far, so-good. I have no complaints so far.

Patrick...hows things in the MIA? I miss the weather...its cold here now..brrrr

TowerDog
13th Jan 2009, 09:20
Hi T....Not cold here in FLL, sunshine, palmtrees, sailboats, bikinis...:sad:

Good luck in China, are ya close to the hotel we stayed when flying for TDX?

Say hello to the little girls over there.:E

Heilhaavir
13th Jan 2009, 19:18
All very good down here T. Brian B misses ya :)

v1vRFLY
14th Jan 2009, 05:58
Hi Dag and Pat....YRE office is right next door to Four Points Sheraton...its so close, Im surprised more TDX crews did not walk in and apply. :)

Not many bikinis here :ugh:

Kato747
16th Jan 2009, 14:00
C'mon v1vFly... spill the beans.....

even with the YVR office next door to the Four Points.... many would like to know how to contact the company......some of us can't just drop in...... & most cant read the company's website in MANDARIN.

C/P name? emails? telephone & Fax ###s. T&Cs ???????

PM if yu feel more comfortable.

jtr
3rd Feb 2009, 14:07
v1vrfly - Sent you a PM

v1vRFLY
30th Mar 2009, 06:57
Due to the number of mailbox inquiries, here is general information for those interested in the airline...to the 'best of my knowlege':

Chinese airlines do not hire directly, you must go through agent. Once you interview with one Chinese airline, they will basically 'own' you so going to another carrier is difficult (they will keep your ATP written test results, etc) and the CAAC frowns upon pilots 'shopping' for an airline or jumping from one to another...but if you are not under contractual obligation, then it is possible with some negotation, etc.

Company interview is basically about your experience and hours. Medical is thorough but using older methods in old govt hospital facility. SIM check done if pre-screening is successful, then scheduled for pre-hire company and CAAC check combined. CAAC ATP written is 70% flight rules (similar to FARs) and 30% performance.

Pre-hire paperwork is a burden: Notarized Criminal background check, no accident-incident report, verification of logbook hours, visa paperwork, application forms, etc.

YRE only has two crew positions: CAPT and FO. Cruise or Relief Capts are actually qualified CAPTs under CAAC regulations, which means to qualify you must have 500+ hours PIC on wide body or heavy jet. If not, then candidates are hired as FOs. Currently there is no upgrade program. FOs with over 500+ hours on the B744 are waiting for such a program to materialize. A few have given up and have resigned. If you have B737 Capt experience, this may be better for you then. I dont know much about the B737 program at YRE though.

ZahnYun Agnecy is becoming a skeptical agent for many of us, taking wire transfer money from our pay each month and not paying us in a timely manner. Other agents may be better (ie Pegasus, Parc). Pay is as advertised though sometimes late. Chinese taxes paid, housing and travel/expense allowance, per diem paid.

Fleet is well maintained, standards better than expected. 50% crews are from China Airlines on contract, 25% chinese nationals, rest foreign contract pilots. Staff are all very friendly and helpful.

Commuting on cargo flights is approved after you get license and immigration approval, sometimes 3-4 months after joining. I had to buy airline tickets home for first 3 months on days off.

Schedule is done by hand, but allows 9 days off in a row and can be taken with 2-3 days leave each month. LUX layovers generally 24-36 hours; LAX layovers currently 2-3 days. If you live near LAX like I do (in Vegas), im getting 9 + 2 days off per month, then additionally 2-6 more days at home during LAX layovers.

No overseas basings yet...we are waiting. 3rd A/C is in TPE getting paint. 4th on the way. Future routes in the works (rumored) to HKG, DFW or possibly JFK???

Shanghai is 5th largest city in world, so lots to do. Large expat community with international shcools, modern stores and shopping malls, etc.

You can either get apartment here or stay in hotel as many of us do. With 11 days off each month, and 2-3 trips, you will only be in PVG about 10 days or so, not much point in getting apartment unless 2-6 go in on 'crash-pad.'

Hope this answers some of your questions. :cool:

square317
30th Mar 2009, 18:03
Do Chinese airlines require the same “astronaut” physical like Korean or JAL/ANA? In other words is the height/weight ratio as big a deal?

v1vRFLY
2nd Jul 2009, 08:34
To whom it may concern:

Parc Aviation, Rishworth, Pegasus, and Direct Personnel recruit for YRE. I do not recommend any other fly-by-night "mickey mouse" agency such as Zhanyun Talents. :=

hassan81
12th Aug 2009, 07:25
I'm waiting for simuator check with CAAC for Chinese ATPL.
YZR recently changed their rule for screening, they don't pay airfare for the screening from last April. But they will pay airfare for simulator check.

You need 2times visiting for screening, 1time for ATPL written test and medical check and another one is for sim check, ,it's not easy to arrange sim for all applicants because they don't have their own simulator.

Also YZR ask you to contact via an agency.
My agency ASSA(www.asiaaviation.net (http://www.asiaaviation.net)) can give you good and recent information. I satisfied with their service so far.