PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Gliding Photos

WE992
12th Dec 2008, 13:52
Does any body have any stories about or photographs of the Bannerdown Gliding Club RAFGSA when it was based at RAF Colerne in the 1960's.

Thanks

Fitter2
12th Dec 2008, 18:17
I will try to dig out some photos I had of the Olympia 403, operated by them in the mid-1960s. They joined Moonrakers (RAF Upavon Club) for a camp at Keevil, before the Bath Club existed, and occasionally also at Upavon when Colerne was rather busy.

I remeber as duty instructor grounding one 403 pilot for a very low turn after a cable break, his lower wing tip disappeared due to the slight hump on the airfield. He later went aircrew, ended up on Phantoms, and did some more gliding too; name of George Lee.

WE992
13th Dec 2008, 07:57
I was lucky enough to meet George at the 'Middle' once.

Paul Kidger
8th Apr 2011, 07:19
Does anyone know how I can get in touch with George Lee? He may well be a second cousin, often talked about in the family but I never met him.

Paul Kidger

treadigraph
8th Apr 2011, 07:45
Playing one of those quiz machines in the pub a few years ago, and a question came up along the lines of "Which piece of sporting kit would 1976 World Champion George Lee have used?" I instantly hit the button for "Kestrel 604" which netted my boss and I a fair bit of of cash to pay for the next few rounds of beer!