PDA

View Full Version : Air Vanuatu Expansion

smoka21
12th Dec 2008, 11:35
Rumour is, Air Vanuatu aquiring 2 QF 400's for expansion, any rumours or confirmations?

flying-spike
12th Dec 2008, 22:05
Riiiiiiiiight....You talking the Dash 8 variety or the B747?

apacau
12th Dec 2008, 22:44
737-400 maybe

W00kiee
16th Dec 2008, 03:25
Get real.......they couldn't make two 300's work. Even if they talk about opening up to Naru, Kiribati, Norfolk etc it wont happen.

Mantanna
18th Dec 2008, 08:17
Yes Air Vanuatu are expanding. But this expansion is only online (not the online as we know it but with their online bank account) The OD is getting BIGGER! The chinese twottas are here but for how long? Surely some heads must roll. Starting with you know who! (hint hint the friendly bear face)

W00kiee
18th Dec 2008, 21:08
Start with those wankers in HR

lordofthewings
20th Dec 2008, 22:24
Only one ****** in HR that needs to go..AB! :confused:
Engineering need some direction with some quality leadership. Not enough supervision on the locals

BlueTongue
20th Dec 2008, 23:19
Some serious butt kicking needs to be done...the locals are becoming very slack in all areas.

The only expansion I see are some fat arses....no one doing their jobs.

blackwing
26th Dec 2008, 08:42
They just received 2 Harbin Y-12s from China... apparently they get the third one free!!!

OhForSure
26th Dec 2008, 21:48
In all seriousness does anyone know if there is any truth to this or other rumours regarding AirVan expansion? :confused:

Mantanna
30th Dec 2008, 00:23
Why are the salarys late??

Ask Humphrey the bear and the limping warehouse.

The only thing the things getting bigger is the OD!!

Devilspoint
1st Jan 2009, 01:12
Hello everyone,
I have been reading all your posts and decided to join in on the discussion of Air Van.

Firstly I am new to PPRUNE and I believe in peace in all areas of the company.

There have been several negative comments made about the management. But as for me, I can only make positive comments as they were very kind in taking me on. It is a great company to work for and I encourage any pilots who are interested in Air Van to certainly send in their details to them for considration. And hey we might even have the pleasure of flying together soon.

Have a great day!

Devilspoint:D

lordofthewings
1st Jan 2009, 04:23
Devilspoint, they were very lucky that you would come fly for them for the money you are getting paid.

W00kiee
2nd Jan 2009, 02:04
It is a great company to work for

Until you try to explain that it's against the law to work 10 days in a row.

Until your colleges start getting sacked with no reason given as they walk off the aircraft at the end of a duty.

Until you get an email containing your new contract, all your conditions changed and told to sign it , everyone else has, or you will be forced to resign.

Until you get ordered to take your annual leave or loose it then while on leave have it recalculated to find out you actually owe the company leave now.

Until they try to bond you $50,000 for you classic to NG conversion

The list goes on, not a reflection of most of the current management but the good guys days may be numbered!.

Wookiee

Devilspoint
3rd Jan 2009, 09:29
Hello lordofthewings,

Well actually the salary is very good. In fact I never really expected it to be that good when I first arrived here in VLI. It has enabled me to get set up with good accomodation and buy 4WD. What more could a guy want?

The guy I trained with used to fly in the wonderful land of Australia as well as here and he too is very happy with the conditions. No complaints on this end.

Catch ya later:)

Devilspoint (happy in paradise)

lordofthewings
4th Jan 2009, 00:00
Devilspoint, you must either be a captain on the ATR or flying the 737 or you are a kiwi

Devilspoint
4th Jan 2009, 08:37
lordofthewings,
I'm just enjoying myself :rolleyes::rolleyes:

And is it wrong to compliment my own country? For it is a wondeful land! If I've upset you by that statement I am so sorry buddy:confused:

Have a great day day LOTW's !

santo.bill
4th Jan 2009, 10:28
If you dont like it leave, or just sit back, have a kava.

As far as the south pacific goes, its still the best here.

Mantanna
4th Jan 2009, 23:29
lordofthewxxxs more like it. You must be an engineer with a chip on your shoulder, a d/head or Paul Buzzybee. But I'd say you're all 3 Don't start pointing the finger mate.

santo.bill
4th Jan 2009, 23:51
probably former engineer

LLLLOOOOOOGGGGGGAAAAAANNNNNNN

lordofthewings
6th Jan 2009, 08:52
Hey Billy, a Kava sounds good

W00kiee
6th Jan 2009, 09:23
No 50's this time though, only full shells.

DIVINE WIND
6th Jan 2009, 15:25
I spoke to a rep from Bombardier in CYUL last year who used to cover the region. Judging from their experience with the last dash that went to Vanuatu, he believed that they would have no enthusiasm of doing business with them again.

santo.bill
6th Jan 2009, 21:22
ATRs in Vanuatu now my good man. Far superior to the Dash 8 in every respect.

DIVINE WIND
7th Jan 2009, 13:54
Glad the ATR is working out. Only done a bit in an ATR sim, very roomy.
How does everyone feel about the Harbins? Would like to know how they compare to the other equipment.
New Twotters would be nice.
Here is a peek at it.
YouTube - Viking Reinvents The Twin Otter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2vwMg8Q7uw)

DW.

chimbu warrior
7th Jan 2009, 19:40
Finally, an aircraft that makes the Nomad look like cutting edge technology......!

Never flown one, but had the misfortune to ride in a Y-12 several times. As I see it, the limitations of this design are

no nosewheel steering (differential braking only, and pretty crude)
overwing refuelling only, and very high off the ground (ever tried to find an extension ladder in the bush)
no baggage door - all luggage loaded via cabin door, making for long turnarounds
fixed seat positions (no Douglas track allowing variations in seat pitch). Seat pitch is great in the first to rows, reducing to non-existent in the rear rows, apparently to counter C of G problems.
no airstair door (steps required)
cannot be flown single-pilot (so I am told)

If the Chinese had only taken the time to see a Twin Otter operating in the bush, they could have incorporated some "user-friendly" features.

NZFlyingKiwi
7th Jan 2009, 20:48
How do they compare to a Twin Otter cost wise? I mean to buy.

santo.bill
8th Jan 2009, 02:11
All of the above is true.

But free aeroplanes are free aeroplanes...

Last Flight tonight

santo.bill
9th Jan 2009, 00:11
Twin Otters cost money, Y-12s dont. Not these ones anyway....

W00kiee
9th Jan 2009, 05:18
Don't worrie, I'm sure we'll pay for them 3 times over in spare parts and down time.......my good man.

santo.bill
9th Jan 2009, 11:34
Personally... I give us one chance in three.

DIVINE WIND
10th Jan 2009, 01:50
New twotters will happen if we can either resurrect Jr with Air Mel or bring back the Condominium.
The Harbins sound like a nightmare, free or not.
Keep us updated Bill.
DW

DIVINE WIND
10th Jan 2009, 02:05
Hey Bill,
Do mean that the twotters are finishing up tonight?
By the way, what are the hot Nakamals these days.
I used to go to Wagon wheel in Santo and red light & PJ's in Vila.

W00kiee
10th Jan 2009, 04:12
Last flight (I think that's what it's called) is a big expat one just near the airport, it's chilled too....the kava that is. now don't bother me while i sit in this dark corner drinking my fanta and try not to vomit.

DIVINE WIND
10th Jan 2009, 12:46
Don't forget to spit.

Around The Traps
13th Jan 2009, 11:24
On a side note does anyone know if Air Van. are looking for pilots and who to talk too? I've searched for previous posts and the Air Van. website for pilot recruitment but couldn't find anything.
Thanks in advance

Mantanna
15th Jan 2009, 09:33
Good luck !

Mantanna
22nd Jan 2009, 08:07
Well don't say I told you so all you Air Vanuatu employees. This is just the beginning................................................... .........................:cool::cool:

Gibbo_335
22nd Jan 2009, 23:41
What does that mean Mantanna? I was going to ask the same question as "Around the traps" are Air Van looking for pilots and who to talk to? Cheers

ithinkso
23rd Jan 2009, 12:41
I believe Air Van are looking for pilots. I heard somewhere they are getting two ex QF 734s to expand into the pacific. I think they pay for the endorsements, but i dont know about the money after that. Anyone got any ideas?

ps: requirement... you must be totally useless these days to get a job there. Or a blonde, i hear they are going through them pretty rapidly these days.

DIVINE WIND
24th Jan 2009, 01:14
How are those Harbins working out so far? Just curious.

Devilspoint
25th Jan 2009, 09:09
requirement... you must be totally useless these days to get a job there. Or a blonde, i hear they are going through them pretty rapidly these days

Hi fellow aviators Devilspoint here. Firstly I'd like to say "happy new year" to you all. Just thought I'd add a comment to the post above.....Well um I don't consider myself as useless or blonde for that matter and I am a new employee here in this island paradise. I do thank the company for paying for my rating, and they certainly do look after my needs.

All though I haven't been here in Vila for all that long, the person to contact I believe has changed recently to a guy by the name of Chief Tuara. (I heard)

I wish you all the very best in your flying career, and look forward to seeing you here in paradise:)

buckshot-rick
27th Jan 2009, 03:37
Its hard to beleive that in a few short months the place has gone this way. Judging by the comments on here it, assuming people on here actually work there, it must be a very sad state of affairs.

With the exception of a few conpetent guys at the top, basically I would not give any of them a job.

I'm glad I got out when i did.

Im enjoying the waves, surfing and loving life, as if any of you even care.

W00kiee
27th Jan 2009, 07:56
Rick-Head,

No one cares what you think mate. I don't think an of us would ever want to work with you again.

BlueTongue
27th Jan 2009, 08:54
Crikey BS (If it's really you)....Ballsy post coming from someone with your reputation.

I like this...[I'm glad I got out when i did.] LOL

Don't think you had any choice in the matter.

Johnny_Fabulous
28th Jan 2009, 04:30
Heard a rumour Air Van have ordered a brand new ATR 72. Apparently it's due to arrive mid 2009.

BlueTongue
15th Feb 2009, 01:16
More like retraction.....burnt yet again.

solomonstarnews.com - Airline issues notice to Air Vanuatu (http://solomonstarnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6444&Itemid=26)

PigsArse
18th Feb 2009, 01:37
From what I hear the Y12's are a lemon, the pays are late the bills are piling up and things are shakey all round. Pity that stupid bloke that left QF for Air Van. What an idiot!!!! The loss of Solomon's is just another nail in the coffin. :eek:

PigsArse
18th Feb 2009, 01:39
Oh and BTW Rick you are an Idiot. They are still cleaning up all the crap you left behind.

gotwunindanuts
18th Feb 2009, 03:33
The Harbin will always be a lemon, will never come close to the otter. But they are "Free". Nothing is free in this world my friends. Won't be long before they want something in return, fishing rights just comes to mind!
Enjoy the games. Sounds like you've got a fine mess on ya hands.

buzz66
19th Mar 2009, 17:29
I am an Aircraft Engineer with more than 24 years experience with all companies from the 150 Cessna to the B767 and everything inbetween.

From what I am about to say some off you will know who I am.

Let me explain Vanutu & Air Vanuatu. I was there for 3 years as the only Avionics licenced Engineer for the period of 16-December-2005 to 1-December-2008. I have worked in many ****hole's in the Pacific. Vanuatu is the most liveable place in the Pacific in my opinion.

There are many things to consider if you plan on taking a job with Air Vanuatu, or any other company in Vanuatu.

Firstly is the cost of living. EVERYTHING is expensive except for Coffee & Meat & the Local Market, both of which are the best things in the Country. The fishing and Scuba Diving are World class but you should already Know that!

There is no such thing as a TAX free Country.
If you do Tours or plan to Tour like some of the Pilots & Engineers you legally must pay Tax on your Vanuatu Income back in Australia. Don't take my word for it, ring the ATO.
If you live there with your family like I did then you wont be subject to paying tax on your salary or Share's ETC. The rulings are still complex, it depends on your own predicament. I cannot stress enough to get your own private ruling from the ATO on this matter before taking on any employment. The ATO is your friend in this matter just like Google.

AIR VANUATU & your ACCOUNTANT are not!!!!!!!!
They are both Greed driven !!

My Family consisted of a Wife and 2 boys under the age of 5 & we lived in a 4 bedroom house with an above ground pool and only one car. I love red wine and found myself curbing the luxury most nights, and our cost of living was $1,400 per week icluding rent. We never skimped on anything too much but never lived the same standard of living as we did back in Australia either!

If you have family then Vanuatu will be too expensive for you to live. Basic Western education is the same cost as Private Schools back in Australia.
Electricity in Vanuatu is approximately $1 per Kilowatt. If this means nothing to you then you have nowhere near enough knowledge about your expensive exotic Pacific Working Experience. Another example is...... I imported a 1995 Model BMW 525 from Japan into Vanuatu. The cost of the car and the freight from Japan to Vanuatu was less than $10,000 AUD......by the time I got it on the road with Duty, Vat, etc ,etc it cost $ 18,000 AUD. Still a great deal but!!!!
Before I left a simple 128K ADSL internet connection cost approximately $165 per month. :eek:
Fuel $1.90 per Litre. :eek:
Can of coke at the supermarket $ 1.50:eek:.
Are you starting to get the picture yet?:ugh:

There are many other things to consider, these are just but a few.

As for the good things.

1. Coffee is excellent. ( You must buy it at Mele where they roast it):ok:
2. The meat is Awesome and cheaper than Aussie meat & better IMHO.:ok:
3. The Fishing & Scuba Diving are World Class.:ok:
4. The Locals are great people. :ok:
5. There is one other things thats cheap just like everywhere in the pacific and it's not what you might think. ( hint it reaches maturity in around 6 months time and it's grown in soil)....**** nearly forgot........Vanuatu is one big race track....no drink driving or speeding laws......just don't run over anyone.:ok:

As for the big Question Air Vanuatu........I can only comment on an Engineering side of things, and I don't have much to say. If you have the sort of licences that tickle their fancy then you will be dissapointed unless you have a fetish for the one or more of the 5 points above.:=

Now for the Pilot's. I have seen during my 3 years there. Progression from the flying school (C172) to ATR 42 in less than 3 years. I have also seen BN2A to FO on B737 in even less than that time. Air Vanuatu would be one of the better picks for the more inexperienced pilots's. If you are looking for twin or command time on Piston or Turbo Prop then this is a low paid FUN way to advance your career in an above average time frame. I can also guarentee you above average live skills as a bonus. The same can be said for a single Engineer looking to pick up an ATR42 or B737 ticket. As an Engineer you you need to be more than flexable when it comes to Aviation law.:ok:

1. Rule one..... Make sure you have EVERYTHING in writing.
2. Rule two......Don't forget rule one because Alan Burke will.:=

Air Vanuatu is no differenet to any other business. You are just another client, don't forget the rules!:ugh:

I have many fond memory's of this and other places I have worked including Bangladesh!:D

DON'T FORGET THE RULES :=

DIVINE WIND
22nd Mar 2009, 01:37
First got to Vila in 79 and was last there in 99. From what I have heard recently it sounds like it may one day end up like Port Moresby.
I remember the day when pilots enjoyed decent salaries and lifestyle, I have no idea what it's like now but judging from the posts here those days are gone.
The Harbins may have been free in the eyes of those who signed for them but the people will pay for them in one way or another either with fishing rights or some other sly deal.
I feel for the Ni-Vanuatu population who will have an endless supply of money hungry little pollies to run their future (and airlines) into the ground for them. We might aswell cut off foreign aid as it never gets to those that need it anyway. I doubt that will happen, western governments now have to compete with China in that arena to prevent heightened security issues.
Bring back the Condominium!

blackbandit
25th Mar 2009, 01:16
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

_SKY_GOD_
25th Mar 2009, 01:23
Hi guys, Jesus here. I was just having a look around and saw your thread. Interesting. Looks like you guys might need a hand soon. Dad and I are definately on your side but he reckons not even WE can save you.

btw: there are some amongst you that dont have confirmed seats up here.

Ciao and see most of you at the top!

DIVINE WIND
25th Mar 2009, 18:13
Long God yumi stanap!

blackbandit
29th Mar 2009, 00:31
Hey Mate,

you suck, blow it out your a*se.

xox

DIVINE WIND
29th Mar 2009, 18:06
Blowing it right back at ya mi boy.

blackbandit
30th Mar 2009, 10:21
Did you work for one of the airlines in vanuatu Divine Wind, or are you just full of hot air. Most of the losers get sacked i believe.

Dan.the.Man
30th Mar 2009, 10:31
Buzz forgot to mention the expat locals arent that friendly. It's life in a fish bowl. Keep it real guys!!!

DIVINE WIND
30th Mar 2009, 18:46
bb,
Sorry they let you go.
Enjoy Egypt.