PDA

View Full Version : Trans Atlantic

TeddyRuxpin
12th Dec 2008, 10:01
Is it correct that an a/c has to be within certain range (two hours) of an international airport at all times during its journey? If so, am I right in thinking that Shannon, Rekjavic and Nova Scotia would fit the bill on trans atlantic?

12th Dec 2008, 10:59
The sort answer is that it depends on the airplane and the airline. The time can be as short as 60 minutes, and sometimes there can be no time limit at all. Twin engine airplanes are more restricted than three and four engine ones.

drivez
12th Dec 2008, 22:04
Look at a book called "Flying the Big Jets" for all you need to know about flying transatlantic. Well for an enthusiast anyway.

TeddyRuxpin
14th Dec 2008, 17:13
Oooooh you are a hard man to please, ey Rainboe. Toxic indeed :ok: I'll search ETOPs forthwith, maybe my getting on your chesticles has will lead to something beautiful !

Seriously, thanks all. Appreciate the replies :D

SNS3Guppy
14th Dec 2008, 18:21
ETOPS doesn't apply to all transatlantic flights; in fact, it applies to air carrier twin engine operations.

Specific regulations vary according to the type of operation, the operator, and the aircraft.

I'm typically well more than 2 hours from an airport. We are required to maintain equal time points with alternate fields in the event of certain circumstances. In my operation, we do this based on several types of problems, including a two-engine failure, a depressurization, and a situation involving an expedited diversion (eg, medical, or other pressing situation which might require speed rather than range). We may have multiple ETP's or equal time points, and multiple diversion airports planned. In our case, while nearly always we'll have considerably more, the regulations governing our operation dictate that we may have only 15 minutes of fuel when arriving at an ETP alternate.

The type of navigation equipment, the nature of the operation (corporate vs. airline vs. military, vs. private, etc), the nationality, etc, all play a part in what an aircraft may or may not do, to say nothing of the actual capabilities of the aircraft itself.

TeddyRuxpin
15th Dec 2008, 08:22
'twas a joke Rainboe, your help wasn't "wasted" on me; which is why I thanked people for their responses. And I'll thank you again - thanks. That ETOP suggestion was a great help.

Seriously dude, if you don't like my ill-informed questions then fine. I'm not pretending that I'm aviation Mr Know-It-All, far from it. Maybe you should just tolerate my occaisional dumbness, I aint on here for a spat..

Grateful.