PDA

View Full Version : Any good transparent security bags?

Momo
11th Dec 2008, 11:31
I am getting fed up with constantly replacing the zip loc bags I have to use for liquids. Has anyone found good-quality ones that respect the size limits?

Final 3 Greens
11th Dec 2008, 14:08
Airbag by Snopake Airline Travel Security Liquids Pouch on eBay, also, Air Travel, Travel, Tickets Travel (end time 31-Dec-08 19:06:24 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280190039104&cguid=ccdc02c411c0a0aad3f7d5c7ffbaeedd)

Rainboe
11th Dec 2008, 16:59
What's wrong with supermarket sandwich bags? They're all I've ever used....time and time again.

The latest requirements are that the bag not exceed 8'' square, is sealable, and the transparent bottles therein must be in a single layer, not doubled up! This is as a result of Plane Stupid invading Stansted (?). You may expect a demonsteration of ultra efficient security procedures against you because of airport invasions!

Momo
12th Dec 2008, 05:34
They come open too easily, spilling your aftershave (the cap comes off too easily) out around your papers and (still fragrant) computer. They get damaged and you have to replace them at some airport that charges for them, etc. I would prefer a permanent solution and will try the Snopake one.

Michael SWS
12th Dec 2008, 16:03
Muji sells good quality transparent travel pouches, with a sturdy zip fastener, in three sizes. The largest size is 19.5cm by 19.5cm and costs £3.95/€6.00.

Here's a link (http://www.muji.eu/popup/enlargeimage.asp?PID=5055198232103), although the image is poor.

dollydaydream
14th Dec 2008, 21:21
The snopake bags as mentioned by FTG also sell in Stationary Box, or whatever their latest incarnation is! The zips sometimes work loose but the bags are sturdy and do a good job. Good value for money.

call100
15th Dec 2008, 14:15
BHX are stopping the free issue of the bags at security and installing vending machines to sell them instead. I don't know if this happens anywhere else...??

jotape
15th Dec 2008, 15:31
by far the best is this one:
securitywashbag.com
marginally a few pence more, but super sturdy and unbelievably capacious whilst still being 100% regulation compliant

TSR2
15th Dec 2008, 15:56
WH Smith do one at £1.49

TightSlot
15th Dec 2008, 18:20
Ziploc (http://www.ziploc.com/) has always done it for me - Buy a box at Costco (http://www.costco.co.uk/).

You seem to be having problems with them, however?

:confused::confused::confused:

Rush2112
16th Dec 2008, 04:38
Stop wearing aftershave. That'd help. I take the bare minimum of toiletries now, just antipersperant and toothpaste and use the hotel's stuff. Nip into the duty free and have a free splash of something if you must!:ok:

Final 3 Greens
16th Dec 2008, 08:52
Rush 2112 makes a good point, perhaps in jest.

Travelling most weeks, on business, I have cut down to the bare essentials

Toothpaste
Hair gel (not for styling, just to keep very fine, short, hair tidy)
Aftershave gel

Wet shaving has gone in favour of a rechargeable razor and I now use a solid antiperspirant stick.

Anyone got any ideas on how to replace the three remaining items with "dry" substititutes, thus avoiding the placcy bag completely?

Rush2112
18th Dec 2008, 01:46
Being rather thin on top helps, no.2 cut and no need for hair products, not even a comb(!) Most hotels have toothpaste and toothbrush in the bathroom amenities kit, or get from the plane.

Antiperspirant is a difficult one. No way around it that I can see other than trying not to sweat (difficult out here!).

Aftershave has gone, I don't like the gels and balms, too sticky out here.

Final 3 Greens
18th Dec 2008, 08:42
Rush

Antiperspirant is a difficult one. No way around it that I can see other than trying not to sweat (difficult out here!).

That's easy, solid stick type works fine and is okay to keep in bag.

I found a crystal type a couple of years ago, which you just wet under the tap and rub on - very effective and small.

Can't find any "solid" toothpaste or hair stuff yet.

deltayankee
18th Dec 2008, 09:04
Can't find any "solid" toothpaste or hair stuff yet.

There used to be a dry product called tooth powder. Might even still be available from specialty dealers or communities like the Amish. Maybe now someone will start selling it again. Maybe now they could add glue and package it as a sort of stick.

You can also buy some robust transparent plastic bags with little empty bottles of 100ml each in airport travel stores and at least one cosmetic store chain that I had better not mention because it looks like advertising.

I also adopted the no-liquids approach to save time. Worst case I might have a mini toothpaste tube that I just throw away before security.

call100
18th Dec 2008, 09:05
Use wax for your hair!!! You can even get it in solid sticks.

Pete_slf
18th Dec 2008, 12:05
Lakeland do a travel kit - 0.97 litre ziploc bag and it comes with 4x 80ml plastic bottles. Mine's done about 30 flights this year and is still going...

Solid deodourant - I had a 'discussion' with BAA security at EDI earlier this year. Said security chap told me my solid stick deo was a liquid and couldn't be carried on. The discussion ended when I asked him to pour it.

I don't worry about toothpaste - it can be bought in 100ml tubes that fit into the plastic bag requirement too.
I have had no problems with old fashioned shaving soap - that travels outside my regulation plastic bag fine.

Rush - The duty free free splash is great for aftershave.:D

skydriller
18th Dec 2008, 21:32
Last time I flew Virgin they handed out in-flight stuff in a clear thick plastic sealable pouch with virgin logos on it. Ive been using it to put my limited toiletries in, and have yet to be stopped from using it, even though with the logos on, its not entirely seethrough.

regards, SD..

lplsprog
19th Dec 2008, 08:28
We've travelled with ordinary plastic bags tied in a knot for a while now and nobody has ever stopped us, I suppose as long as the contents are clearly visible does it really matter?:hmm:

Bushfiva
19th Dec 2008, 19:50
Antiperspirant is a difficult one.

I travel with moist antiperspirant tissues, and powder toothpaste.

smith
19th Dec 2008, 19:53
Sure(R) do antiperspirant wipes.