PDA

View Full Version : SAA asked to change call sign.

Taxidriver009
11th Dec 2008, 02:37
Due to recent developments in the Ministry of Sports, the Minister of Transport has approached the SAA board regarding the use of the “Springbok” call sign. It was suggested that it must change to reflect the South African national symbol, the King Protea , and in future it should sound something like this:

“.....Flowerpower 629er on final....”

The industry wasn't approached in this manner and a huge outcry is set to follow...........:E

reptile
11th Dec 2008, 05:08
Line in the water - Let's see how many will fall for this one...........

777Contrail
11th Dec 2008, 06:00
Due to the political loaded name the change will have to happen, but because all parties must be kept happy the name will be changed from "Springbok" to:

"Bokspring"

Solid Rust Twotter
11th Dec 2008, 07:34
Sitbok....?:E

Pitch&Fan
11th Dec 2008, 07:45
Boknaai, the callsign won't be changed!

haughtney1
11th Dec 2008, 08:34
What about Spreengbuk? :E:E

I Am Not The One
11th Dec 2008, 09:45
Next thing you know, they will nominate "Puke Watson" as M.D. of S.A.A.

unstable load
11th Dec 2008, 10:18
Next thing you know, they will nominate "Puke Watson" as M.D. of S.A.A.

Come, now! Do you really think he could do worse than the incumbent?:confused:

Taxidriver009
11th Dec 2008, 11:55
Fortunately the politicians and various other idiots are blissfully unaware of our National flag carrier's "blasphemy". Maybe this tongue in the cheek must be removed......?

spongebathbob
11th Dec 2008, 13:29
Classic one Taxi Driver....I like it

Golf_Seirra
11th Dec 2008, 16:06
:ouch: How about brown-buck......could be easily translated to brown-broke or even then, "broke-back-mountain" boys....:cool:
Either way, when the time is right, everyone is going to want to jump ship...by the time Bob and the boys are done. A name change will be the last of our worries....

Then it will be "flat-broke 609", may-day, fuel emergency.....

birrddog
12th Dec 2008, 01:04
Pitch&Fan, I think you inadvertently hit on something there.

I think Boknaai would be an appropriate new call sign, pleasing both sides of the debate:
a) Those that want to boknaai Sprinkbok
b) Those who will get a kick out of saying "Boknaai 69er requesting clearance to enter your terminal zone":}

Win win if you ask me :ugh:

Rock_On
12th Dec 2008, 02:58
Why not: sawubona indoda? That should work out good with ATC around the world....:)

unablereqnavperf
12th Dec 2008, 09:56
How about "Shambok" something our less radiant cousins will understand!

VortexGen300
12th Dec 2008, 14:58
On a bit more of a serious note:

1. I heard that the name was not something that came by from the previous regime or the so-called "previously advantaged".
2. It was rumoured that is was actually ATC somewhere (not in South Africa) that started calling SAA by the Call sign "Springbok".
3. The then management probably grabbed the opportunity and registered it with ICAO!

Any how - my contribution will be that if they do want to change I want to demand :ugh:that they appoint Puke Watson as MD as previously suggested and change the call sign to "Puker 162" :rolleyes:- I trust that the powers that be will then be happy?:}

VG300

the wizard of auz
13th Dec 2008, 12:16
So if they travel in company, they would be known as a couple of puckers. :}
and the wide bodies would be a big pucker:}

chongololo
14th Dec 2008, 00:08
I vote for "boknaai" :ok:

Taxidriver009
17th Dec 2008, 13:40
After carefull analysis of suggestions it seems we, the industry, have a front runner.

"Antelope Sewing" (for our English viewers) is slightly removed from, but keeping pace with the flaura theme. The Bok is getting in touch with it's feminine side..........

I will forward all your suggestions to the Board for deliberation, and we should have a decision just in time for the 2010 Soccer World Cup. By then COPE will be in charge, crime will be sorted and we will have REAL CHANGE in Africa's down under!

I've heard Danie Craven is turning so much in his grave, that they are considering shutting Koeberg, attach a generator to the Dok, and connecting him to the grid! VIVA! Clean energy! VIVA!

Solid Rust Twotter
17th Dec 2008, 15:10
Errrmmmmm...

Weren't COPE the turkeys who got us into this mess in the first place who sloped off in a huff to form their own party when the mainstream ANC edged them out in favour of an even dodgier member of the pilferati as leader?

COPE = ANC Lite.

Der absolute Hammer
17th Dec 2008, 15:40
So then, why not...

King P ?

lexxie747
17th Dec 2008, 18:04
i suggest starbucks

Taxidriver009
17th Dec 2008, 22:04
Starbuck(s) is a good one.

A spokesperson from Starbucks report that because they already support flight crews around the world on a day to day basis, they will consider diversification into the aviation industry.

Unfortunately insiders tell me the board will never agree to pay franchise fees or royalties. That will reduce "profits" and cut into their bonusses........Maybe they can get around the legal issues if they drop the S at the end? Only if that's OK with you Lexxie?

The spectacular drop in oil price must make them smile though, no rebate/incentive for the public or worker bees, profits are "up", books looking "good", BONUS time!

Yes I know it's only superficial gain in the short term, but have a heart, it's nearly Christmas........:rolleyes:

unstable load
18th Dec 2008, 00:22
By then COPE will be in charge, crime will be sorted and we will have REAL CHANGE in Africa's down under!

Get your head out your @ss and once your oxygen levels are back to normal re-think that bit of wisdom.
Real change for sure! Things will most likely get a lot worse a lot faster.

Weren't COPE the turkeys who got us into this mess in the first place who sloped off in a huff to form their own party when the mainstream ANC edged them out in favour of an even dodgier member of the pilferati as leader?

COPE = ANC Lite.

Taxidriver009
18th Dec 2008, 03:30
Get your head out your @ss and once your oxygen levels are back to normal re-think that bit of wisdom.

This is not a political discussion forum, and if you can't detect the slight hint of sarcasm, nuf said.:ugh:

TIA, savvy!!!!!

O, and have a lovely day......:rolleyes:

unstable load
18th Dec 2008, 10:16
Sorry, Taxi!:ouch:

Left my political hat at work.:O With it now firmly fitted, I see your point of view and I must admit to appreciating it too.;)

Taxidriver009
19th Dec 2008, 09:57
Cheers!:ok:

bluelearjetdriver
19th Dec 2008, 11:06
What about Kombokvashou as a call sign?

29th Dec 2008, 12:44
After the name change of Jan Smuts it is expected that Pretoria and Jo'burg will soon be baptised with new names.

Changing SAA's callsign doesn't make any sense though; the name is self reflective: A happy wild prey. But it shudders your knees contemplating that a day might come when you are cruising happily at FL410 and suddenly monitoring somebody on 126.9Mhz reporting:

"....FL390...estimating Lakla 49...position Epsek 24...Soweto 183 FL390 Southwestbound..."

Swamp Rat
1st Jan 2009, 10:35
Imagine what the Sids And Stars are going to look like if this carries on, would love to hear what a take off clearance will sound like with Cathay inbound, Speedbird read for take off and the likes of TAP, Swiss Air, Air France in the hold at minamas, pitty the ATC ' S

Choppie
2nd Jan 2009, 06:57
Well to direct someone thesedays is already a problem if you don't know all the new names.

"To drive from Tswane to OR Thambo you have to take the Albertina Sisulu highway towards Ekurhuleni."

VAFFPAX
10th Jan 2009, 23:42
So ol' Pieter-Dirk Uys was right hey...

How about... "i-Boooooooooooook" :-)

S.