PDA

View Full Version : Looking For First Job... Any Help?

YendorBaker
10th Dec 2008, 03:52
Hi everyone. seems like Australia is fairly dry for first jobs at the moment. might be a different story in the new year towards feb and march. Anyways im looking for my first gig.. I have CPL with 200 hrs and a MECIR, any help or constructive criticisim would be much appreciated.

Thanks

RB:ok:

INNflight
10th Dec 2008, 04:29
>>> www.pilotjobsfast.net

edit: ooops....spent too much time in jetblast :E

( coat, hat, door )

nuclear weapon
10th Dec 2008, 09:11
Has it occured to you that you might need to relocate to get that first job as a lot of freshers have done.

YendorBaker
10th Dec 2008, 09:47
yeah it has occured to me. thats the plan after christmas.. just have to work out where the best place is to move.. where the most opportunities are.

IrishJetdriver
10th Dec 2008, 11:09
Don't think the list of places where you have any chance whatsoever will be too long.

If you relocate then be prepared to do something else while you perhaps wait a very long time to get a lookin somewhere.

probably best to batten down the hatches where you are, get a decent job (if havn't already) and save your money for when times look like thy're getting better.

CFM56-7B
14th Dec 2008, 21:29
Shall I make the point that yours it's one of the few (with NZ) western countries where agencies are advertising for F/O jobs on Medium Jets? And with fairly few hours of experience on type too...

I mean... I know that you would need the hours on type for that but trust me, if in Australia the situation is for real not good , then I'd rather follow the advice from IrishJetdriver.

If you had 500 hrs on type you'd get a very good job in your place straight away. Here in EU there's almost NO chance for Medium Jet F/Os even with 2000 hours!

You're the only guy I would suggest to pay for line training (:mad: that would nevertheless mean totally ******* the market and your future collegues, while you also get enslaved by some company:mad:).
If you have AUS passport buying your way to 500 hrs on type (B737 the cheapest/best) still looks like some kind of investment. Here in EU it's just a silly waste of money!

I love EU but as a pilot I would like to have your AUS passport! Check some contractor websites and you'll see what you have in your pocket...

Good luck!

ReverseFlight
15th Dec 2008, 01:29
I am in the same situation as YendorBaker.

CFM56-7B, how do I "buy my way to 500 hrs on type (B737 the cheapest/best)" ? Do I start with Alteon Brisbane or the airlines themselves ?

I tried to ask a similar question on another thread regarding Airbus endorsements but haven't got an answer yet:

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/349464-a320-type-rating-se-asia.html

Any advice appreciated.

LambOfGod
15th Dec 2008, 04:40
Would 50 hours in a sim and 2 hours in the real thing be enough to get airlines/companies interested. Or even just a few hours in a sim...

Don't start ripping on me, I'm not much of a pilot yet...

PilotPieces
15th Dec 2008, 08:39
^
Perhaps not, but you have a great taste in music. \M/

YendorBaker
15th Dec 2008, 22:56
thanks for all the imput and thoughts. i have actually found a job now. its only flying singles doing scenic flights but thats all you can expect for a first job so im rather happy. my advice to all in my situation is to pick up the phone and ring around, I rang up companys from every state in Australia for two weeks until I got the real deal. Think I got lucky. But if that didnt work my next plan was to turn up on their door steps ready to work. You just have to pick a town with lots of GA. Good luck to everyone and safe flying.
:ok:

CFM56-7B
16th Dec 2008, 11:17
That s:mad:t of buying the f:mad:n hours was more a provocation than a real suggestion! As I also told that is very (I mean very very very...) bad for the market!

My advice is to do like your collegue that got a job on SEPs and once the market gets better you'll get the hours and mybe even the type for free, with some bond contract probably. I'm sure that Oceania and Asia will lead the next ascending phase of the market and you'll be in a privileged position since you're living there!

I used to do 1 year SEP jobs before gettin my jet job as well, I only had to pay for my type, which is already quite bad, even if at least you're not paying for working... and that was in Europe, that is very likely the worst area for new pilots, especially now!

Good luck, whatever you decide...