View Full Version : When do you....

malc4d
9th Dec 2008, 00:28
At what point on the approach do you put down the gear and flaps......?
I was always told at the outer marker - FAF. (gear and flaps 10), but it seems a lot of people do it way before then, and put down full flaps.

Bucket
9th Dec 2008, 01:14
9 miles 1st Flap

Gear at 6 miles

Land flap at 3 miles

Any good?

Unkle Fester
9th Dec 2008, 02:46
210 kts at 12 nm
180 kts at 8 nm
160 kts til 4 nm

flaps as appropriate to keep comfortable deck angle, noise abatement and SOP

Fully configured by 1000' agl

:ok:

FLEXJET
9th Dec 2008, 06:38
It depends on your aircraft type. I like to lower the gear no later than 5-6 NM.

It is varying according with ATC instructions, weather, density of trafic, etc...

Heavy aircraft usually configure early, also to avoid producing too much wake turbulence.

Von Klinkerhoffen
9th Dec 2008, 07:32
Heavy aircraft usually configure early, also to avoid producing too much wake turbulence. Thought that was to be stable early , and wake was worse the slower you go ??? Anyone ?

VK

chai ja
9th Dec 2008, 07:52
seen a320s, 757s etc leaving gear till 3 dme especially at LGW

haughtney1
9th Dec 2008, 08:16
160 to 4 DME at LGW, it means that you can hold flap 15 and pretty much idle thrust in a 757/767 until about 4 miles before you need to dangle the dunlops :ok:

EatMyShorts!
9th Dec 2008, 08:58
Jau, feet down at 3 or 4 DME is sufficient, depending on your type, on the weather and other circumstances. Noise-abatement is another factor. I usually try to ride the thing down completely clean until 5 or 4 DME before selecting flaps and gear. In IMC we'll do it much earlier, naturally.

SNS3Guppy
9th Dec 2008, 09:27
The answer to the question really depends on the operation and what's being flown. ,My present employment requires that the airplane be fully configured before the final approach fix on a non-precision approach. On a precision approach, the standard is to extend flaps to 1, 5, and 10 on the base or vectors, and then once established on the localizer and the glideslope comes alive, set flaps 20. With the glideslope one dot above, gear comes down, and with the glideslope captured, the flaps are set at the final approach configuration of flaps 25.

This varies with the approach, of course. On a short vector or intercept, or when light and being dumped on the approach, the gear may be dropped out of sequence and much earlier, and the airplane in general may be configured earlier. In certain situations, the aircraft may be configured much earlier, such as a flap malfunction, or other situation involving the use of alternate systems. In other cases, final configuration may come muchlater, at 500' or less, due to constraints of the aircraft operation at that time.

In other kinds of operations, we've only configured when the landing is assured, due to the airplane's very poor climb out performance with an engine failed in the landing configuration, or due to operational requirements.

What's done where and when, really depends on what's being flown, how, why, and for whom.

FL470
9th Dec 2008, 11:35
VMC
Fully established, on speed, and final check done by 500ft AGL.

IMC
Fully established, on speed, and final check done by 1000ft AGL.

When we lower the gear and flaps is totally up to the pilot - as long as he can make the above mentioned limitations.

PicMas
9th Dec 2008, 16:28
I extend the gear, flaps, speedbrakes and do a sideslip at 20-25 miles...

... Maybe one should put some effort into learning the VNAV function?!?

:}:}

Der_Fischmeister
9th Dec 2008, 16:45
NAAAHHHH U DOOONT.!!!

OTHERWISE THE 60´TY will not like u anymore ...
Cheers hows life ??

INNflight
9th Dec 2008, 18:14
and wake was worse the slower you go ??? Anyone ?

Wake turbulence is worse when you're in clean config and slow than dirty and slow.

flybypilot
11th Dec 2008, 09:56
Assuming you operate commercially check your stable approach criteria, ours states that we SHOULD be fully configured, landing checks completed by 1000' agl (approx 3.2nm) and you MUST meet these criteria by 500' AGL or a go-around must be executed.

Outside of that our SOP's follow the glide slope intercept or FAF for gear-down, I believe it is still wise to have a trigger point for the gear, if you are already descending on the glide then what other than a DME reminds you? The warning horn?! If you were in a hi9gh workload situation then these things can be missed.

CirrusF
11th Dec 2008, 10:20
Can depend on the airport approach regulations too. For example, at Cannes for noise reduction you're supposed to stay clean until the end of the downwind leg on the circle to land approach to the principal runway. So if you do it by the book, you may not even be properly stabilised and configured as you start turning and descending for finals. If you end up landing a bit fast or long, no reverse thrust allowed either...

FixedRotaryWing
11th Dec 2008, 12:05
Noise reduction does not mean safety reduction! By the way, a crashing airplane makes definitly more noise than a configured one.

Vee1Kut
13th Dec 2008, 06:35
I agree with Guppy, when I fly MS FlightSim too, that's how I do it. :)