PDA

View Full Version : N-reg in NZ

Squeegee Longtail
8th Dec 2008, 12:10
What is the situation for a non NZ national with an FAA IR to keep and fly a private N-reg aircraft in NZ? Is there a time limit? Can I fly IFR on my license? If so, are there FAA authorised maintenance facilities?

Any input gratefully received.

ZK-NSN
9th Dec 2008, 06:52
Denis Thompson Aviation operate a N rego'ed citation out of Ardmore, they might be able to offer some info.

ExSp33db1rd
11th Dec 2008, 20:07
Len Cowper is a licensed FAA inspector, experienced in FAA regs. he might know what you need.

[email protected] ([email protected]) +64 +9 +235-7766

conflict alert
12th Dec 2008, 09:04
aircraft can be flown in NZ but maintanence standards must comply with FAA and be signed off by FAA qualified LAME. If you convert to NZ register then the aircraft must be maintained to NZ standards. Don't know about the IF rating tho - if you were going to fly a NZ registered aircraft I think most certainly you would have to do some conversion.

Go to the NZCAA website and check the quicklinks to the regs and have a wee surf around to find the answer.

Airmike767
13th Dec 2008, 03:38
Hi,
I'm in the the same boat. I imported an N registered Cessna........at first I was going down the track of converting, I have a NZ license. However, I have found an engineer who has FAA credentials and can do the annuals.

As far as IFR, I think if you meet the FAA standards and your plane does as well you are legal to file and fly. There are more than several N registered airplanes in the country and some are high performance turbo props or jets so why not?

If you decide to reregister your plane to CAA be aware that you will find that many of the components that are on condition replacement or overhaul are on time here!

Good luck, Im me if you have more questions!