PDA

View Full Version : 3G phones?

multi_engined
8th Dec 2008, 06:11
Is it necessary to upgrade to a 3G phone from a conventional one if flying around in NW aus?

the wizard of auz
8th Dec 2008, 06:41
Yeah, you would probably want to change from a conventional phone. the extension cords get tangled and wrecked while flying around up north.
I used both my 3G and normal digital without problem up there.

Yak_slapper
8th Dec 2008, 08:00
NextG phone (telstra) with the "blue tick" will give you the same coverage as the old CDMA

Dick Smith
8th Dec 2008, 08:01
3g is almost useless in remote areas. Go to a Telsta Next G

Note Next G is different and far superior than 3g in remote areas and in the air.

the wizard of auz
8th Dec 2008, 08:09
I dont have any problems with 3G in Broome, Derby, Curtin, Fitzroy, Hedland, Newman, Meeka...........and a whole bunch of the mines in between.
there is a funny one up on Koolan though. You can't get Telstra there, but you can get one of the smaller carriers. I have never been able to use the smaller carrier anywhere other than capital cities, so was pretty surprised to see it work on Koolan Island.

Desert Duck
8th Dec 2008, 08:13
Koolan Is have probably paid to have the service installed coz testra would not.
Birdsville Races have asked for mobile coverage from Telstra for years only to be told it could not be done - bugger me / Optus was able to provide a service last year.

Very popular too.

FourBalls
8th Dec 2008, 08:27
3g = turd

NextG = good coverage. Have been able to send/rec sms up to 130nm from repeater at 10000' and voice/www access inside 90nm at same height however, mine doesn't seem to work too well above FL180.

Sky.Rider
8th Dec 2008, 08:30
3G..3rd Generation operates on WCDMA 2100
Next G is 850.
Whether one is better than the other is dependant on the carrier and the phone you use.
Having used both in Australia and OS 3G is superior and a Motorola Phone with WCDMA 2100 as a band choice will work well.
Depends on how much you want to spend.
A Motorola V9 form Ebay will set you back $300/$350.
No contract...just a plan.Do the sums and Optus will come up trumps.
Not sure about the footprint they have in the north..Give them a call

The Green Goblin
8th Dec 2008, 08:51
I have an Iphone on Telstra NextG can't go wrong, i also have bigpond wireless internet on the NextG network, also can't go wrong, i can even get pprune on my iphone when i'm bored upfront :D

the wizard of auz
8th Dec 2008, 09:06
I got the next G telstra USB prepaid set up. a little bit expensive for general browsing, but an awesome tool for emails, NAIPS access for my FP software, Etc. work anywhere I get phone signal. I guess the NextG phone is a better set up as well, just not had any dramas with 3G.

povopilot
8th Dec 2008, 10:08
There is a couple of threads floating around on this topic.

I'll say the same thing as I did on those threads and that is: For airborne use, Telstra NextG is the only way to go. It is WCDMA 850MHz and has the longest range, best clarity and penetration through obstructions.

To clear things up 3G is the network type - as opposed to 2G or CDMA. NextG is Telstra's branding of their 850MHz 3G network. To make things confusing the mobile carrier "3" only have 3G coverage in metro areas on the 2100MHz network they share with Telstra. When outside these coverage areas they revert to using Telstra's 900/1800 MHz GSM or 2G network. This is going to change sometime next year when Telstra gives them access to the 850MHz NextG network. This is good news for people currently with "3" but it will only be for 96% of the population as opposed to the 99% (Claimed) that Telstra covers.

Not sure about the V9 having the best coverage or NextG being equivalent to CDMA in terms on range, the V9 is good but not excellent. From all reports at work the Nokia 6120 has the best coverage and this is not a "Blue Tick" handset. They retail for $249 and are well and truly the best value for money handset in terms features, data speeds and coverage. If you are really on a budget then the Samsung A411 is also very good for $99.

Singtel (Optus) are building a 900 MHz network, although it will not be online for a while yet. When it does launch it will hopefully drive Telstra's pricing down and make NextG a more affordable internet solution. The availability of handsets with the 900MHz band is a problem for them.

There is no need for a separate modem when using a NextG handset as they all have USB or Bluetooth connectivity and the handset itself can be used as a modem.

For any PPRuNer's considering buying a handset, please give me a yell - I can tell you what is **** and what isn't. There is nothing worse than people coming into work that have been sold phones by "Cinderell" or "Conception" in Manila that are no good, and then i have to spend 2 hours getting their contract ended, selling them a new one that works and then organising a return for their old handset. I plead with you not to buy anything from Telstra over the phone.

Go and see your local Telstra Country Wide office and borrow some phones off them and take them for a test run.

povopilot

The Green Goblin
8th Dec 2008, 11:10
Telstra Nextg wirless internet is not expensive at all, I pay $89.95 a month and get 5GB

Yeah 3 might beat that in the city with pricing, but it sure as hell don't work where i go :ok:

the wizard of auz
8th Dec 2008, 11:35
I guess mine is expensive as its a prepaid affair. doesnt matter though. for what I use it for its perfect. really very good for getting WX and Notams and emails. I can update the WX in my flight planner in seconds and access NAIPs from my lappy while I'm in the bush.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
8th Dec 2008, 16:22
Access to the www whilst airborne is handy if you save the BOM Wx radar links. Not as ideal as having onboard Wx RADAR but helps when deciding whether to divert left or right or if a storm will hit the airfield too near your arrival.

I had a Telstra issued NextG Nokia. I'm no phone guru so I'll leave it at that.

FRQ CB

PS My old CDMA was brilliant (no pun intended) as it had a simple one touch button to activate the "torch" function which consisted of a reasonably bright LED atop the set.

Desert Duck
8th Dec 2008, 18:47
Dont get too excited about % coverage.

If you provide network coverage around the coastal areas then you have 95%
cover

Telstra are the only network to provide coverage in remote areas.

They are also expensive and difficult to deal with.

the wizard of auz
8th Dec 2008, 21:19
DD, you hit the nail on the head. :eek:

scrufflefish
9th Dec 2008, 00:09
So, povo, is the Nokia E51 I bought by phone order from Telstra (before I read your post) a lemon?
Their service certainly is, it took me 3 mornings and 5 hours on the phone just to get them to activate it. The whole process sucked, if it wasn't for the coverage I wouldn't be with them.

povopilot
9th Dec 2008, 00:52
No mate, Excellent handset. Especially if you got one that is made in Finland. No surprises with the service of the call centre... they have all been moved to Manila and have brand new staff with no idea.

A hint to everyone when talking to Telstra is to get the "D" number of the consultant and ask them to leave detailed notes explaining your interaction with them. After they have written the note get them to read it back to you and make sure it makes sense.

povopilot

Desert Duck
9th Dec 2008, 01:50
Scrufflefish

I have operated the NokiaE51 for nearly 12 months now in remote areas.

Altho not blue tick it has outperformed all the blue tick phones that Telstra have offered the company.

scrufflefish
9th Dec 2008, 09:30
Thanks DD, that's basically what the Telstra rep said when I ordered it but I was a little sceptical.

Old Akro
10th Dec 2008, 05:36
I had a number of guys that work for me compare a couple of different Next G handsets with CDMA before CDMA was closed. Frankly, I'd still rather have CDMA than Next G. However once you put an external aerial on, Next G its very good. But it must have an external aerial (which is basically all the blue tick phones). Battery life is not as good, but better if you turn off as many accessories as possible (eg Bluetooth). After a couple of trials, we settled on an LG phone. It has both a stick aerial and a magnetic base remote one. The magnetic base aerial gives exceptional reception when its on a good ground plane (car roof). I find the stick aerial pretty good in the aeroplane, but the phone can be marginal in remote areas without it. I think that all of the blue tick phones will take an external aerial, but I'm not sure how many have the "stick" aerial option as opposed to the remote wire connection magnetic base style.

Otherwise have a look at the government's sat phone subsidy.

povopilot
10th Dec 2008, 07:06
Old Akro, Not all of the "Blue Tick" handsets have external antenna ports I.e N95, Palm Treo Pro, LG KF390. On the other hand some handsets that have better handheld coverage than those with "Blue Tick's" + an antenna, do not have a "Blue Tick" I.e Nokia 6120 and E51.

Re battery life, As Akro says make sure that Bluetooth, Wifi, Any active data connections are turned off. Also set the screen to a lower brightness level and make it time out quicker.

It is well known that CDMA probably did have better handheld coverage in the rural/remote areas but it had an average data speed of about 48k. This did go up to 128k+ with EVDO devices. For comparison NextG is currently at 14.4Mbit's or 14400k. It is supposedly going to 42Mbit's sometime soon.

povopilot

HarleyD
10th Dec 2008, 22:26
telstra Next G definately the best coverage in Aus and around the world also, except that they are a bunch of C%*ts to deal with. they cut my phone off when I was in delayed for a few weeks in Peru and Bolivia and couldn't make the over the phone bill payment that they assured me would be possible. try sorting that out in the remoteness of the amazon headwaters, i really did not need it at the time with a young child and hormonal woman at home, otherwise, whenever connected, service has been amazing in places that you would never imagine getting reception with a few notable exceptions.

Every time Telstra has assured me of anything prior to overseas travel it has turned out to be wrong. e.g. "yes, your phone will work while you are at Oshkosh" - NO it did not, except that when ever I flew each day the thing would go beserk in my pocket and i would land with about 20 missed calle and no numbers listed.

I have also found that when ever overnighting in remote spots with no coverage, it is best to turn the phone off completely as it will be searching and using heaps of battery to do this. my samsung piece of cr@p will go flat overnight if not turned off, but I pick new Nokia up today.

HD