PDA

View Full Version : Old NZ CAA Accident Reports

hef
8th Dec 2008, 01:10
Hello,

I would like to get a hold of a CAA aviation accident report from late 1996. It was a helicopter crash which claimed the lives of two venison recoverers.

I am interested because the pilot was a friend of mine and I have never seen the official accident report.

I have searched the internet but I can't find anything, only reports up to 1998.

Do any libraries or anything like that hold the old reports? An internet link would be appreciated if any of anyone knows of anything.

I have e-mailed and called CAA but they obviously have better things to do. :rolleyes:

So any help would be appreciated,
Cheers :ok:

Rayford Steele
8th Dec 2008, 07:23
Suggest you contact TAIC and not CAA
Last year I wanted a 1962 Accident Report - TAIC was able to send me a photocopy.
:)

hef
8th Dec 2008, 08:41
Thank's for your reply!

The TAIC didn't investigate this accident though, so I'm 99% sure that the CAA did the field investigation. They have accident reports up to '98 on there website so a report from '96 must be available somewhere.

After many hours on the internet I came across this website though, if anyone's interested. It has many accident reports on it, including most TAIC reports going back to the 50's. I've been glued to the screen for many hours after finding this site :}

Aviation Safety and Security Archives: Digital Library (http://prcarc1.erau.edu/index.html)

2 per rev
10th Dec 2008, 03:31
Hef,
Before TAIC the investigation agency was The Office of Air Accidents which is the reason that you are having trouble locating the report as the accident was probably pre-TAIC.

CAA only started investigating accidents about 10 years ago when TAIC decided not to do them all.

If you have a rego, type and approx date I'll try and find it. I have many years of reports in my engineering library.

2 per rev
10th Dec 2008, 03:38
Hef,
After pondering the timeframe I think you are referring to Joe Collins' R22 accident in 1996? If so you are correct as it was CAA's first field investigation I believe. PM confirmation and your address and I'll get it to you.

Basically it was low flying at night returning from venison hunting and flying into a hill. They flew low over a house just before impact if I recall correctly.

tinpis
10th Dec 2008, 05:02
Thanks for the heads up on the TAIC site
Found an accident in the 60's I was suppose to be pax on.....:uhoh:

Zed-Air
27th Feb 2012, 20:48
Hi there

Wonder if you ever drop by here ... I'm trying to get a copy of the report of Cessna 185A ZK-CBK at Te Uri on April 5 1963.

Russell Williamson "Russ" Allen, was killed in that aircraft, that day.

Not sure but I believe the Report Number was: 25/3/1317.

I am just finishing compiling a book of aviation short stories, the first, I trust, of several (too many stories for one) and am weaving in an image of their last hours of life and dedicating every story/chapter to one of those fine young men who have lost their lives through the years in the world of ag and bush and "discrete" and covert ops -- and in whose company some of us have been privileged to have spent the best parts of our lives.

Russ was only one of several young men killed in (some would say "by") Rural Aviation (aircraft) during that era.

Look forward to your favorable response and thank you in anticipation.

slackie
28th Feb 2012, 04:42
Thanks for that Archive website... much appreciated... stored for future reference!!

c100driver
28th Feb 2012, 05:31
Many of the early accident reports held in the archives are not available without written authority of the office of air accidents. The answer is usually they are closed for a minimum of 70 years.

Fat chance of learning anything from the past with that sort of restriction.

All files are restricted for seventy years from the date of opening of the file. All Transport Accident Investigation Commission staff, upon presentation of a signed authorisation from the Chief Executive or Chief Inspector of the Transport Accident Investigation Commission, or a current signed warrant, are to have access to the files.

Under no circumstances will access to files within the 70 year restricted period be granted without the written authority of the Chief Executive or Chief Inspector of the Transport Accident Investigation Commission.

Preservation Restrictions

Some records are protected under section 49(1)(a) of the Public Records Act 2005.

Audio records and films are not issuable due to their technical formats.

Photographic negatives are not issuable due to preservation reasons.

Photographs require that gloves are worn when viewing.

Contact Archives New Zealand for permission to view or the availability of alternative access provisions. Viewing is by appointment only.

Zed-Air
27th Sep 2015, 21:14
Hi there, 2-per

Cessna C-185A, Registered ZK-CBK, at Te Uri, Porangahau, on April 2, 1963. (Russell Williamson Allen - Rural Aviation Ltd)

Please?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sincerely - Brian:cool: