PDA

View Full Version : Yet another aircraft accident at Torquay.

QNIM
7th Dec 2008, 08:58
Gday

Around midday today another aircraft has crashed at Torqair continuing the dismal record of demolition.
IT was reported to be in the Christmas trees, Police and CFA in attendance, any further info?

Q

Rotor n Wings
7th Dec 2008, 20:19
Another, has there been a few that way?

BULLDOG 248
7th Dec 2008, 23:51
Did this have anything to do with the ELT ML Centre and Radar were going on about for some time yesterday???

VH-XXX
8th Dec 2008, 06:07
"Yet another crash" When was the last one?

Ultralights
8th Dec 2008, 06:17
from what i heard, it was a flat tyre on landing, and the aircraft was parked at the end of the strip on the grass awaiting a new tyre, some local airport noise campaigner rang emergency services and called the media...:hmm:

WannaBeBiggles
8th Dec 2008, 08:25
Gotta love these sensationalist twats that are doing so much to help aviation... :mad:

John Walters
8th Dec 2008, 08:39
the sad and sorry tales of Torquair the past and present.
The record goes something like this in the past few years
Tiger moth down on the beach at Torquay, the aircraft dragged to a position close to the cliff and trees, out of public sight and the wings removed hastely to take back to hangar for repair
person takes shovel to CASA inspector when arrived at hangar and operator caught doing unauthorised work on aircraft
operator fined and has licence suspended for dive bombing a former employee at another local airport as he is taking off
Tiger moths collide on runway one landing from each end of runway in unsuitable conditions following Anzac day service. One tiger written off.
Parachute aircraft comes up short and lands in the ocean and finishes upside down on the beach. another write off.
and then yesterday. This needs investigation. The great lakes aircraft was not parked at the end of the strip waiting for a new tyre. It was 200metres east of the main north south runway, the wind sunday was from the south, and it was close to a long line of trees and on a pecular angle with the bottom wings removed and the upper wings damaged and sagging badly. The local press photo today show the wings totally removed.
why were the wings removed if it was just waiting for a new tyre?
indications were that something had taken place that was out of the ordinary for normal operations, but then again it was probably quite normal for Torquair.:=
it is about time CASA had a really close look at this operation as they continually appear to operate outside normal operational conditions.

ausindo
8th Dec 2008, 09:17
Just so everyone knows, there was a crash landing at YSBK this morning, I think it was a Liberty, new Pilot got hurt.

Pilot hurt in Bankstown crash landing - National - smh.com.au (http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/pilot-hurt-in-bankstown-crash-landing/2008/12/08/1228584702701.html)

I wasn't exactly there when it happened, but I was at YSBK, though I heard that the pilot landed quiet hard.

triton140
8th Dec 2008, 09:57
Mmmmm - I like this thread.

I think I'll pour me another Cab Sav and sit back in the old rocking chair and watch the fireworks ............

BTW - does anybody have any info on what really happened (if anything) - the goss, we want the goss ('tis a rumour network anyway) ....

VH-XXX
8th Dec 2008, 22:25
If it were my Tiger or any aircraft for that matter and it landed on the beach, I would be there with as many people as I could in a flash to get the wings off it to get it home again. It might blow away, the salt water will destroy it and taking off the wings is a moderately quick process.

"the aircraft dragged to a position close to the cliff and trees, out of public sight and the wings removed hastely to take back to hangar for repair"

Why do people always think the worst? How about the position close to the cliff was away from the water on an incoming tide and removing it hastily for repair is because they want the aircraft up and running as quickly as they can.

"person takes shovel to CASA inspector when arrived at hangar and operator caught doing unauthorised work on aircraft"

So someone walks into the hangar as CASA often do, unannounced without checking into reception and showing proper ID (which frequently happens) and they are threatened for trespass.... ok.... and someone is working on the aircraft taking off components to be repaired? and this is a problem why??? You don't need to be a LAME to take parts off an aircraft! Like I said, dramatise it as much as you want, but that doesn't mean it's the truth.

inbetweenthesheets
8th Dec 2008, 22:39
Hey Wizz you know the lot

Why take the wings off????

sheets

The Geelong Advertiser
Landing scare for Torquay flight
Jane Harper
December 7th, 2008
AN AIRCRAFT fault caused a stir when maintenance work prompted a flurry of calls to the emergency services.
A Great Lakes bi-plane had taxied off the runway at Torquay Airfield at 11.30am yesterday after the undercarriage and wheel became loose on landing.
The plane, which had been giving tourist flights in Anglesea, remained stationary near the runway for around six hours until the mechanics' plane arrived to help transport it to a maintenance area.
But the work caught the attention of motorists passing the site, who called emergency services to report a potential crash or collision.
Pilot Zac Rule, 20, said he had been carrying one tourist in the plane when the damage occurred, and no one had been injured.
"It was all very minor," said Mr Rule, who has been a pilot for three years.
"As we touched down the plane shook a bit. I called the engineer and let the authorities know. The mechanics came along this evening to take the wings off and move it."

porch monkey
9th Dec 2008, 09:50
Really guys, can't you find something constructive to do? This tit for tat, dobbing bull**** has gone on for over 15 years now. If it isn't "illegal" skydiving, then it's "illegal" charters, or "illegal" joyflights or maintenance, or incompetence or some other garbage. I have known the major personalities involved on all sides for a long time, and yes, they can be hard to get along with. It really isn't very becoming of any of you. If you know the FACTS, say so. Keep it to that. Just think what you could all achieve by putting this much effort into working for the better of aviation. Instead of trying to f*ck everyone else over at every opportunity.

inbetweenthesheets
9th Dec 2008, 22:47
Porch monkey

If it isn't "illegal" skydiving, then it's "illegal" charters, or "illegal" joyflights or maintenance, or incompetence or some other garbage.

Correct me if I am wrong, but what you have said is, ignore the illegal skydiving, the illegal charters the illegal joy flights, the illegal maintenance and the incompetent operators as that’s all garbage and that will be for the betterment of aviation.:confused:

I would have thought ridding the industry of dodgy unsafe operators would be in the interest of better and safer aviation, but I may be mistaken.:uhoh:

sheets

tail wheel
10th Dec 2008, 04:31
Sheets

I think Porch Monkey was merely voicing an opinion which is widely held by many PPRuNe users – they are tired on the mundane, mindless and meaningless posts made by a few users, which reflect more on the user’s IQ, than they contribute to professional debate on the thread topic.

“I would have thought ridding the industry of dodgy unsafe operators…”

In whose opinion – yours??? I believe that is a CASA decision and function – definitely not a PPRuNe function!

This thread has passed its Use By Date!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Woomera/Closed-1.gif