PDA

View Full Version : What's up in the REST of Africa

inputshaft
7th Dec 2008, 08:51
Seeing that the "West Africa" thread has pretty much focused on Nigeria for several years now (for obvious reasons), I thought it might be time to get a thread going on what's happening in the rest of Africa. Here are a few thoughts to get things started.

- CHC have pretty much moved away any 1 or 2 aircraft contracts after closing the CHC Africa business unit last year. Now they have no contracts except Nigeria, Angola (both in trouble) and Equatorial Guinea. Are they going to regret losing various footholds?

-Where are Bristow these days apart from Nigeria?

- Are Africa companies like Titan posed to move into small contracts historically held by the big 2 above?

- Is Cougar ever going to make a move on Africa?

- Not much heard on here about Heli Molongo, presumably they're still busy?

- What about new fields off Ghana/Mozambique/Madagascar?

Have at it guys

Farmer 1
7th Dec 2008, 10:08
Now they have no contracts except Nigeria, Angola (both in trouble) and Equatorial Guinea.

Are they out of Cameroon, then?

inputshaft
7th Dec 2008, 10:46
Oops, forgot they're still there, I guess that's how rumors start :O

Just found this that relates to one of my questions above:

Heli Malongo Selects S-76C++(TM) Helicopter for New Search and Rescue Service
FARNBOROUGH INTERNATIONAL AIR SHOW, England, July 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Sikorsky Aircraft Corp. has been selected by Heli Malongo to provide three S-76C++(TM) aircraft for its new Search and Rescue (SAR) service in Angola, Sikorsky announced today from the Farnborough International Air Show. Sikorsky is a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX).

(Logo: Newscom Search (http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20060403/SIKORSKYLOGO) )

The agreement marks Heli Malongo's first purchase of a Sikorsky Aircraft product. Heli Malongo, an offshore oil operator based in Angola already operating 20 aircraft, plans to establish a Search and Rescue service to support the country's growing oil industry. It will be the first Search and Rescue operation to serve Angola.

"SAR missions require speed, agility and responsiveness, and the S-76C++ helicopter delivers on all counts," said Sikorsky Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer Stephen B. Estill. "Our SAR helicopters are mission ready. We are pleased to have the opportunity to demonstrate the ability of our aircraft to Heli Malongo."

The decision to choose the S-76C++ helicopter comes after a comprehensive selection process, heavily focused on mission requirements. Heli Malongo was in need of a highly equipped Search and Rescue aircraft with a responsive support system that would enable them to perform even through the most demanding missions.

"We demonstrated that the S-76C++ helicopter is well suited for SAR missions and met Heli Malongo's detailed requirements," Estill said.

Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., based in Stratford, Conn., USA, is a world leader in helicopter design, manufacture, and service. The company's long commitment to safety and innovation is reflected in its mission statement: "We pioneer flight solutions that bring people home everywhere ... every time(TM)." United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Conn., USA, provides a broad range of high-technology products and support services to the aerospace and building systems industries.

the delaminator
7th Dec 2008, 23:01
Hooray!!!

Finally an African thread not about Nigeria. Long overdue.

Cougar is in Angola right now with a bunch of hardware. SK92's BH212's and an EC135 that blew power checks due to dust ingestion shortly after arrival.

H:ok:opefully they will move towards competitiveness in the Offshore market soon.

unstable load
7th Dec 2008, 23:54
Are Cougar stll in Angola, then? I thought they had just been there for the elections.

It would be nice if a new face arrived on the block.

Taxidriver009
8th Dec 2008, 09:00
CHC have pretty much moved away any 1 or 2 aircraft contracts after closing the CHC Africa business unit last year. Now they have no contracts except Nigeria, Angola (both in trouble) and Equatorial Guinea. Are they going to regret losing various footholds?

With all the political instability, security issues and logistical problems in our beloved deepest darkest, I'm not surprised. If anyone had the choice I'm sure they will also avoid Africa, but money makes the world go around. Especially if other people "risk their lives and sanity" in the swamps on your behalf, while you and shareholders reap the benefit.

Nigeria & Angola in trouble? I know it is PPRUNE and that is the rumour, but any evidence of this? One would assume the new puppet masters will do everything in their power to retain such a substantial portion of their "perceived" cash flow?

One company you missed is Starlite who are trying to crack the nut. Picking up what was left over after Titan won the scrap over CHC's holdings in SA/Namibia. What ever happened to "their" 92's? Still in Angola? Still operating their aging J models in Sudan and Namibia? The older the cheaper........:ugh:

Me thinks main reason for CHC pulling out of short term 1 or 2 a/c contracts: Why compete for bottom dollar?

Once production starts in the East Coast fields the big boys will come out to play. Unfortunately lack of infrastructure both on- and offshore coupled with current oil prices will probably move this even further to the right.

Outwest
8th Dec 2008, 10:59
CHC's position in Angola has always been a bit precarious......Sonair has been trying everything they can to make it as difficult as possible for CHC to operate there.
The only thing saving us has been BP, but they are always getting pressure from Sonair. I hear that now Sonair has a 225 there that they have been showing off to BP.

Rumor has it the BP contract is due Dec.31......anyone have any news on that?

unstable load
8th Dec 2008, 12:35
Long before CHC, Court had the whole up and down routine in Angolsch. They had up to 4 machines and went down to one on ad-hoc then up and down again before the current incarnation.

Sonair can buy the shuttle, they are and will always be Sonair and the likes of BP with their requirements will have CHC or someone else back there before long.

Taxidriver009
11th Dec 2008, 10:04
Heard along the vine two C+'s inbound too Luanda!

unstable load
11th Dec 2008, 10:11
Apparently C+ to replace the Puma and an A++ to replace a machine going for a major and then another C+ mid next year-ish.

Always assuming there is a contract to go to with Sonair wanting them out completely.

seeking all
25th Dec 2008, 06:40
hi has any one got contact details for Heli Malongo engineering in angola plz?

bb in ca
17th Feb 2009, 09:09
CHC - GO operates in both Malabo and Bata.

The capital of Equatorial Guinea, Malabo, was the scene this morning (Feb 17, 2009) of an intense firefight in the vicinity of the Presidential Palace, which could have caused "a very significant number of casualties" and that has been attributed to a possible military revolt by foreign forces, according Europa Press reported on sources of internal opposition.

So far it has not been possible to contact the government, which has not yet ruled on these incidents. "There is no official information, but there have been shootings, that is true," he told Reuters and the deputy secretary general of Convergence for Social Democracy (CPDS), Plácido Micó, who was unable to specify details but for " reliable sources. "

According to sources, a number of people who are helping the injured have spoken of "a very significant number of casualties on both sides and have ensured that" has said all health-care. " At the moment we speak of "wounded, and perhaps one of the dead soldiers," they added.

The shooting occurred in an area relatively close to the presidential residence, including areas Elá Nguema and Nueva Esperanza and near Black Beach prison, but the country's president, Teodoro Obiang Nguema, is not in Malabo, Bata but . Sources inside the opposition indicated that the Army has occupied the streets of this city, capital of the region.

The shooting has already completed after about four hours' duration. The authorities have advised people to stay in their homes and some companies have sent workers to their homes because of the uncertainty we live. The streets of the capital are "empty" and only witness of the army patrols on the streets and at junctions of the city center. "They are not recording the activities of Malabo," said Micó.

The first versions speak of a possible military revolt by foreign forces. In this regard two versions circulating, according to opposition sources indicated interior, which stated that currently it is "speculation" in the absence of official information.

On the one hand, it is said that forces loyal to the British mercenary Simon Mann - sentenced last summer to 34 years in prison for an Equatorial Guinea court for his alleged involvement in a coup against Obiang in 2004 - have tried to rescue him in the hospital de Guadalupe, where he was admitted a few days ago.

Moreover, the shooting has been attributed to the militia of the Movement of Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) in the country since last year. "Others speak of a coup d'etat", these sources added.

unstable load
17th Feb 2009, 09:41
I hear that CHC has been given their marching orders out of Angola again. This must be the fourth time it's happened since the old Court days.
Sonair must be confident that they can go it alone and good luck to them.

HELOFAN
17th Feb 2009, 11:59
I am pretty sure Bristow are in Ghana as well. Takaoradi to be precise.

Still looking to talk to pilots that fly there.
HF

the delaminator
28th Feb 2009, 03:49
Anyone currently in Malabo or Bata have info on the aftermath of the shoot em up earlier this month?

alouette
28th Feb 2009, 04:00
It should be phrased "Who's up in the rest of Africa"? I am up since 4am:E

rotorboy
28th Feb 2009, 04:06
I am , since 4am too

on my third cup of coffee... ran out of the costa rican, now drinking that powdered nescafe junk

what is this world comming too

alouette
28th Feb 2009, 11:40
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, welcome to the club!!!:ok:

Chopper Jog
28th Feb 2009, 16:08
CHC is going to be out of Angola by Dec 09. The Super Puma L2 has just left and the A++ is leaving in Jul 09 and the C+ in Dec 09. None of these machines will be replaced!

Allot of the CHC crews in Luanda have jumped ship and is now flying for Sonair - package of EURO95,000/year with benefits. Sonair is in the process of getting more C+/C++ and will require more crews shortly.

Due to problems to get enough pilots trained within Sonair, they have also recruited a few CHC EC225 pilots from Nigeria and they will require quite a few more down the track - I think Sonair is looking more EC225s too!

Heli Malongo is doing well too and they will be launching the SAR C++ contract in Angola around 2012. Many of the pilots up there are trying to get that operation to IFR Offshore status, so the $$$ will increase nicely if they do so!

Starlite Aviation is doing well and is operating in Angola (Pumas), Ivory Coast (Pumas), Sudan (Pumas) and EG (S92 for the president). The S92 that was based in Luanda for the elections is now back in South Africa.

I have heard (through the rumour network) that Titan is trying to get in bed with PHI in South Africa as Titan cannot get access to C+/C++ helicopters for the contract renewal in George SA (Another old CHC contract serviced by S61s).

Cougar's 2 S92s and the EC135 have just left Angola, but they will be looking to expand their overseas operations in both Australia and the USA.

the delaminator
28th Feb 2009, 17:03
well i guess they have either all been shot in Malabo or they don't prune.

Chopper Jog
28th Feb 2009, 17:21
I have been in Angola for quite a few years...so I have seen all the transitions from Court...to CHC Africa...to CHC Global!

Sonair Details:

Flight Operations Director: [email protected]
Chief Pilot: [email protected]
AS332 Fleet Captain: [email protected]
S76 Fleet Captain: [email protected]
Commercial Manager: [email protected]

Heli Malongo Details:

Director LSG/Heli Malongo (Jose Leite Velho): [email protected]
Heli Malongo (Pascal de Lussac): [email protected]
Chevron Aviation Manager (Part of Heli Malongo): [email protected]

Good luck dudes! Let me know if you requrie any addtional help!

bb in ca
28th Feb 2009, 18:32
None of them have been shot, just painfully slow internet. From what I've heard from the boys things are back to normal. Rumours of a curfew and or travelling in pairs etc.. but not sure.

unstable load
1st Mar 2009, 11:15
Chopper Jog,

Any idea whether they are hiring engineers for Luanda?

Heli-Jet
3rd Mar 2009, 16:43
Chopper Jog 9MW0, you still with CHC or have you moved on to Sonangol. Missed you in Nigeria

Tynecastle
4th Mar 2009, 00:36
UL.
I know Sonair were looking for engineers last month, pay and rotation okay, but not sure about benefits, per-diem, accomadation.

Chopper Jog
4th Mar 2009, 06:49
Hi Heli Jet,

I am now flying Pumas and the S92s for an African company! I was looking forward to the EC225 in Nigeria but the new offer was better - always nice to pick up another rating in the process too!

I believe a few of the CHC 225 drivers have jumped ship down to Angola with Sonair - better place than Nigeria but difficult environment...as you are well aware. Angola is going through allot of expansion and will be looking for more pilots in the near future.

What is news up your way?

Cheers,

CJ

buck80
5th Mar 2009, 15:30
Anybody have any info about whats happening with the fixed wing ops at chevron.. heard they are aquiring Q400s and another 300...are they looking for pilots and engineers at this point??

Gabra1
21st Mar 2009, 11:16
747 jock,

I think you have to sack your rumour control officer as MH did not offer "ancient S76A" helicopters for Mauritania!!

DECUFAULT
22nd Mar 2009, 02:51
I am told that MHS have sent 2 x S76 C

heli1
23rd Mar 2009, 09:13
How long a contract have MHS got in Mauritania ?

MamaPut
23rd Mar 2009, 12:45
S76C..... just another A++ then. I wonder why oil companies still really want to operate these underpowered antiques in hot, humid climates, unless they're looking to carry small payloads at low cost :ugh:

DECUFAULT
23rd Mar 2009, 13:44
Why pay for an expensive C+ or C++ when a C can do the task. The engine may have a little less power, but that's about it. More expensive glass cockpit...spare etc..for a C+ or C++.

I know my Malaysian friends are more than capable to do the task even in Africa.

MHS have a 3 plus 2 contract..I'm told..

MamaPut
23rd Mar 2009, 14:02
A little less power! In practice when I've flown the 2 in hot, humid climates it's 3 or 4 passengers less power. I've experienced few problems with glass cockpits and other than that spares for 76s cost the same.

It's not a matter of where your colleagues are from, it's a case of what the aircraft can do and in my old company the older A++ and Cs spent more time on the ground than the C+s, cost more to maintain and carried much smaller payloads. I believe that even a Bell 407 can carry more and at a lower price.

Gabra1
23rd Mar 2009, 14:53
Mamaput:

Of course the C+ can carry more payload than the C. But let's not forget that payload is also a function of sector distances.

In case you are not aware, the offshore location is a mere 52 nms from Nouakchott and the S76C is able to meet the client's requirement to carry at least 9 pax each way.

mtoroshanga
19th Apr 2009, 09:21
Anyone know what companies are working in Southern Sudan for oil industry?

HHE
19th Apr 2009, 10:27
Schreiner used to. They encountered big problems with the local environment. Sand is not good for a helicpter. Maybe CHC would consider foing there again?

Blind Bob
19th Apr 2009, 19:56
Everett Aviation of Nairobi were operating out there 2 to 3 years ago. Everett Aviation (http://www.everettaviation.com)

unstable load
21st Apr 2009, 10:14
HHE,
CHC left the Sudan because of "political pressure" . It had to do with operating Bell machines in the country and the sanctions in place due to the Darfur situation.
Much the same as happened in Myanmar, I believe.

MamaPut
21st Apr 2009, 16:31
hey stopped perating the Bells there quite a few years ago after the political pressure from the Americans, but continued for quite a while after that with the ex-Schreiner Dauphins from Nigeria and Iran

HELOFAN
22nd Apr 2009, 03:17
Thanks 747.

Anyone else (was or is) flying in or around Ghana?

Needing some info.

HF

nocarsgo
22nd Apr 2009, 08:06
What about any other types of flying like game flying or tours there. I'm curious to hear from people that do/did that. I'd like to fly in Africa eventually at least for a time, and was thinking about that or even something like airserv.

Benet
8th Aug 2009, 08:04
What's the scene like in southern Africa? I'd be grateful if anyone can put me on to operators, especially in Botswana. I'm a low-time JAA CPL(H) looking to get started somehow...

Thanks
Benet

Bee Safe
14th Oct 2009, 18:11
Heli Malongo has a good pay scale but not much in the way of benefits. :)

The Director of Maintenance e-mail is [email protected]
They currently operate Bell 427, Bell 430, and Bell 430. They will begin taking delivery of S-76 C++ beginning in December. The current fleet of helicopters totals 17. After the S-76's arrive, the helicopter fleet will total 25.
There is an ad running in justhelicopters right now for mechanics. :ok:

chcoffshore
14th Oct 2009, 20:10
Why is the email @chevron, sorry is helimango associated with them? Just a question thats all..............

Bee Safe
15th Oct 2009, 11:10
Heli Malongo resides on the Camp run by Chevron and uses their infrastructure (housing, food, IT system, etc.) This is because initially Chevron was the only HM customer. This is in the process of being changed with the addition of several new HM customers.

chcoffshore
15th Oct 2009, 11:50
Thank You....

Bitmonx
14th Jul 2010, 09:01
I am thinking about working in Tanzania or Kenya.

How much salary can one expect flying an AS350 on a six week on/off contract? Is US$75'000/year about right?

Any info is highly appreciated.

Cheers,

bitmonx

Aerobot
14th Jul 2010, 14:23
I'll second that. AS350 time here, flypaper from the FAA. 3,900 hours, NVG current, experience in BK's, BO105, B407...is a commuting job like the aforementioned a possibility? Wife's job makes relocating problematic, so a commuting job would be best.

heli1
14th Jul 2010, 21:37
I have heard that at least one ex RAF SAR Wessex 2 is being operated in Ghana now on local certification.Anyone seen it or knows more ??The same owner used to operate an ex Bristow Wessex 60 until it ran short of parts a few years ago

Distiller
15th Jul 2010, 17:00
First post here. Hi dudes & dudettes!

Talking about "the rest" of Africa, I have a question: What about Starlite Aviation? Do they have any operations in central Africa worth mentioning? I heard the do some offshore and V/VIP stuff, but I wonder how big their footprint actually is.

loav8r
12th Aug 2010, 14:54
Anyone out there have some info on the current operations in EG or Malabo? I could use some info on possible bases, accomodations, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated. :ok:

Signed,

On my way.

loav8r
12th Aug 2010, 16:56
I have not read the briefing sheets or even heard of them. Where would I find them?

graculus
12th Aug 2010, 19:33
especially for loav8r, that lover of all things cultural and poetic:

“Delirium,” is by María Nsue Angüe a famous muse of Fang origin,

Delirium

In the mirror of my past
there appear ghosts enmeshed
in a dark curtain, where my present

is shattered, and my future
crumbles in nothingness.

Faces of shadows swarm
in my mirror!
Your faces sketched by hunger
carry a stamp of misery as deep
as the revolving song of my sadness
that shouts at me to the depth of my bones
that I shall die like the offended Christ
who having been born in his time
those of his era did not recognize him.

—María Nsue Angüe

However, for poetry in Spanish, Juan Tomás Av́ila Laurel is one of the leading writers of Equatorial Guinea. He is the son of settlers from Annobón but he resides on the island of Bioko.

As an American you'll be delighted to know that it's even more corrupt than Nigeria, featuring at = 168 (of 179) on the TI Corruption index (Nigeria =147). Enjoy :}

ramos
25th Aug 2010, 12:11
Good afternoon,

Could anyone shed any light on Everett Aviation?

Housing, Pay/Conditions, Benefits, Company etc....

I see on their website they are looking for pilots.

Thanks to anyone who can reply.

Ramos

Soave_Pilot
26th Aug 2010, 12:19
I wonder what the pay rate is over there...:confused:

Elefant Pilot
17th Sep 2010, 23:10
Hi collegues,

I'm new here.

I'm moving to Cote d'Ivoire. Anyone have information about operators/operations in the country. (or West Africa)

EP

cpt
19th Sep 2010, 07:32
Hi Elefant,

ASI, based in Abidjan is operating a fleet of AS 365 N & C, an AS 355F2 and some other single engine helicopters (Alouettes 2 and 3)
It's a long time I haven't been there, and maybe an update from somebody in the area will give a better picture.

bellsux
19th Sep 2010, 09:00
My last contact number for IASI in Abidjan was..

00225 08080876

Si vous ne parlez pas francais il serrait inutile de repondre a ce numero.

Elefant Pilot
19th Sep 2010, 13:25
Thanks Bellsux and CPT.

This kind of information is very helpful.

Merci

EP

froggy_pilot
19th Sep 2010, 23:43
International Aircraft Services Ltd, © International Aircraft Services Ltd (I.A.S), spécialiste du travail et transport Aérien par hélicoptère (http://www.helicopter-africa.com/iasci.htm)

This company has changed name several time in the past with still the same owner, he also had different companies in France before: Gyrafrance and Heli-Lorraine, never really successful

I wonder if they are still flying offshore with their stone age float equipped Alouette II 313B or do they only use the modern 365C and the cheap 365N Heli Union was ready to scrap ?

Not the best company I have seen.

MyTarget
14th Mar 2011, 12:00
Well most of the action was talked about in Nigeria, but now that european operators are moving into other Western African countries with the discovery of new oil then the market place must be picking up. Any thoughts or locations/new contracts?

Peter PanPan
14th Mar 2011, 19:06
Gulf of Guinea: CHC is in Equatorial Guinea and Nigeria. Dancopter also in Nigeria. Heli Union in Angola, Gabon and Nigeria. NHV in Ghana.

East Africa: CHC has a contract in Mozambique.

That's all I am aware of;)

MyTarget
15th Mar 2011, 06:39
Bristows also Nigeria/Ghana.

unstable load
16th Mar 2011, 06:47
You could also try Sonair or Heli Malongo in Angola, Bell 427, 430, 412, S76C+, C++, L2 Puma and 225's. Bells at HM, some C++ too, the rest at Sonair.

Peter PanPan
16th Mar 2011, 07:03
Also AS365N3... But those wouldn't be European Operators ;)

MyTarget
16th Mar 2011, 09:56
I think there are many 365N3's being operated by european's!

Peter PanPan
16th Mar 2011, 10:27
You said: "Well most of the action was talked about in Nigeria, but now that european operators are moving into other Western African countries with the discovery of new oil then the market place must be picking up. Any thoughts or locations/new contracts?"

I thought you were referring to European Operators, that's what I meant by SonAir and HM not being European operators.

chcoffshore
10th Apr 2011, 21:13
I heard Bristows picked up another contract in Ghana. Anybody?

John Eacott
22nd Aug 2014, 11:09
A few months old, but Helicopter crash pilot arrested (http://bulawayo24.com/index-id-news-sc-regional-byo-48473.html)follows on from the second crash and hide accident involving a South African millionaire. Bizarre, but I guess it's his money :hmm:

POLICE have arrested a South African millionaire running a game farm near West Nicholson, his lawyer has confirmed.

Frikkie Lutzkie was arrested shortly after disembarking at Joshua Mqabuko Nkomo International Airport on Monday, his attorney Vonani Majoko told Chronicle.

Lutzkie reportedly informed the authorities that he would be coming "to clear the air" following his involvement in a May 4 helicopter incident at Doddieburn Ranch that raised a lot of speculation after he buried the chopper.

Efforts to get a comment from police spokesperson Senior Assistant Commissioner Charity Charamba were in vain as a person who answered her mobile phone said she was busy.

However, Majoko said police took Lutzkie to Gwanda following the arrest and was brought to Bulawayo yesterday en route to Harare.

The lawyer added that the South African is yet to be informed of the charges he is facing.

"What we can confirm is that he has been in police custody since the 2nd of June. He flew into the country and landed at Bulawayo airport having made prior arrangements with the police that he was coming into the country to clear the air over allegations that he had committed certain offences as widely reported in the press," said Majoko.

"He did not come following any application for extradition, he came voluntarily. He was taken to Gwanda where he was held overnight, was then brought to Bulawayo on the 3rd enroute to Harare."

Lutzkie's arrest follows the deportation over the weekend of Kevin Bloom, a man whom he had seconded to Doddieburn Ranch to check on Russian tourists who were camped there, an impeccable source told Chronicle yesterday.

"I am an investor. I have not committed any crime. I have never been convicted of any crime in my life. What could I have done?"

Lourens Botha, Doddieburn Ranch manager and Pieter Marais, one of Lutzkie's alleged employees, are currently out on bail for allegedly working without permits at the ranch and they have since been ordered to stay at their residence in Burnside.

Over the weekend, Chronicle established that the ranch has been placed under heavy security including a 24-hour surveillance that has seen law enforcement agents restricting visits to the property.

In an interview on Sunday, Lutzkie stuck to his previous version that he had not violated any of the country's laws as he buried the chopper in fear that some people, especially children, might tamper with it.

He said this could result in it exploding, injuring or killing people. - See more at: Bulawayo24 NEWS | Helicopter crash pilot arrested (http://bulawayo24.com/index-id-news-sc-regional-byo-48473.html#sthash.SHlopdC3.dpuf)

Helicopter crash still shrouded in mystery (http://bulawayo24.com/index-id-news-sc-regional-byo-47816.html)

Helicopter crashes, farmer buries wreck (http://bulawayo24.com/index-id-news-sc-regional-byo-47754.html)

Pilot who crashed and buried helicopter, named (http://bulawayo24.com/index-id-news-sc-regional-byo-47866.html)

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/6990-1/A119+crash.jpg