PDA

View Full Version : NZ to OZ TTMRA... your tips, pitfalls

acilide
7th Dec 2008, 00:38
I'm currently wading through endless paperwork, declarations, certified copies, signatures, and of course, fees.

ARN form + SD form + TTMRA form + ASIC form + English proficiency assessment + $$$ = TTMRA?

If you have any tips, shortcuts, or know of any pitfalls I'd love to hear them.

Especially if you know of cheap way to get copies certified in Auckland (preferably), or otherwise Melbourne or Perth, as well as SD forms certified to Aussie standard.

Cheers!

FloRider
7th Dec 2008, 01:12
Make sure you keep a copy of everything for yourself incase CASA loses something/everything. That piece of advice came from the horses mouth!

solowflyer
7th Dec 2008, 02:31
Get it all done at the CASA office in perth in one visit. The Bloke there is a JP saves alot of hassel and $$

wessex19
7th Dec 2008, 04:43
look on the bright side bro!! You don't have to jump through all the hoops that any other person/ pilot who would like to immigrate to Australia would do to get a working visa and that costs alot more $$$$ than a few CASA fees and an ASIC card.. getting a Tax File Number TFN is pretty straight forward then basically you are on your way. good luck

DeltaT
7th Dec 2008, 07:58
-Do a search on here, plenty have asked about it

-Do a search for Australian lawyers in Auckland (google), get the countersigning done for *free* if you ask nicely

-You can get an AVID much quicker than a ASIC, and get the licence issued on that basis. But yes you will need a ASIC for when actually in a job there, though you might be able to pass that cost off to the new employer!!??

-Initial issue Australian medical requirement is satisfied by your current NZ medical. When that expires you will then need an Australian medical certificate.
The casa website has all the details of who they recognise around the world for the doc and eyes etc.

kongdong
8th Dec 2008, 02:06
I did mine last September after it was sent back twice, they said that the ONLY places you can get your docs signed are the Auckland Consulate and the Wellington Consulate. I know it sounds odd but that is exactly what CASA told me. Probably easiest to get it all done over there. Remember they won't accept your application without an ASIC application to go with it. Good luck!

DeltaT
8th Dec 2008, 07:48
-You have the choice of an AVID or ASIC upon pilot application. The ASIC is only valid for 2yrs, and the time they take to process it comes off that time.

- It does not have to be done at a consulate, or signed by someone in Australia, if you can find the right people, they are here in NZ and you might get it done for free. -I did, and one other person I helped off here.

Bwater
8th Dec 2008, 09:20
My story....

From NZ, numerous emails to casa, took the day off work, drive 4 hours to Auckland , spent 3 hours in the consulate office filling out forms, getting certified copies etc. They charged a fortune per copy by the way.

A few days later, I ended up going to Melbourne for a short contract so took all my paperwork with me.

Walked into the casa office in the city, said hello and asked if they could help.
Very official, but very helpful folk had me all signed and checked within the hour. They laughed at the fact I had paid so much for my certified copies as they do it for free.

End result was I left a happy guy. ( my asic took 6 months to arrive though)

My honest and open advice based on incredible hindsight......

Get your logbook, licence , id's, downloaded filled out forms etc..... make an appointment, buy a ticket to Melbourne or Sydney and go to the office in the city.

Take a few days to look around while you are there. At 150 bucks each way?, I should have done it in the first place. With lost wages, travel costs and about $120? for the copies, it would have worked out so much cheaper, easier, quicker and stress free.

I found the staff at CASA to be very stern and by the book, but actually very helpful.

I was growled though for turning up without and appointment, and apparently GA licence conversions are done at an airport office out of melborne. I supplied a big smile and sincere apologies, ie no attitude....and I left happy!

Thats my advice.

acilide
8th Dec 2008, 18:15
Thanks for all the advice. I'm heading over to Oz in January so looks like the easiest way is to make sure I have everything sorted then head to a CASA office.

One thing I'm trying to sort out is a secondary ID for an ASIC. Has anyone tried to pass a "Verifiable Reference"?

Applying for an ASIC - Identification and Certifying Documents (http://casa.gov.au/fcl/asic/identity.htm)

SystemsAreGo
9th Dec 2008, 04:32
If you have an IR, it must be current to be on your CASA license.

Same with Bankstown CASA office - very helpful and FREE ;)

Can't get a ASIC unless you have a job or one lined up.